Settings
Tony Smith
2020-09-12 14:11:03 UTC
In the past, to the left of my name, there used to be a small rendering of my profile picture. It has gone. How can I restore it? I can manage to change my name between "Tony" and "Anthony" or even to my gmail address, but not how to get that picture in.
Penny
2020-09-12 14:48:46 UTC
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 07:11:03 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith
Post by Tony Smith
In the past, to the left of my name, there used to be a small rendering of my profile picture. It has gone. How can I restore it? I can manage to change my name between "Tony" and "Anthony" or even to my gmail address, but not how to get that picture in.
Are you currently signed into Google (not just gmail)?
2020-09-12 14:53:09 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
In the past, to the left of my name, there used to be a small rendering of my profile picture. It has gone. How can I restore it? I can manage to change my name between "Tony" and "Anthony" or even to my gmail address, but not how to get that picture in.
For the avoidance of doubt, you appear to be posting using Google
Groups. That information is necesary for anyone who might be able to
help (which I'm afraid I can't).

2020-09-12 21:37:02 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
In the past, to the left of my name, there used to be a small rendering of my profile picture. It has gone. How can I restore it? I can manage to change my name between "Tony" and "Anthony" or even to my gmail address, but not how to get that picture in.
For the avoidance of doubt, you appear to be posting using Google
Groups. That information is necesary for anyone who might be able to
help (which I'm afraid I can't).
In connnection with this and the previous thread about Google Groups,
there seem to have been quite far reaching changes recently and they
may be affecting you.

If it is any consolation to you, Tony, people using Usenet directly
and receiving text files from news servers can not see the pictures
anyway.

My little problem at the moment with Google Groups is that the search
bar seems to have disappeared from the Groups pages and since Google
took over Deja News and made itself the world repository of usenet
messages, being able to search is IMO a fairly important feature.

2020-09-12 18:46:24 UTC
My little problem at the moment with Google Groups is that the search
bar seems to have disappeared from the Groups pages and since Google
took over Deja News and made itself the world repository of usenet
messages, being able to search is IMO a fairly important feature.
Still there for me. The link I use (below) result looks a little
different from normal, but in the box at the top labelled
"Conversations" there's a little downward pointing triangle and if you
click on it you get the old search options.

<https://groups.google.com/g/uk.media.radio.archers>
Nick Odell
2020-09-12 23:48:06 UTC
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 19:46:24 +0100, BrritSki
My little problem at the moment with Google Groups is that the search
bar seems to have disappeared from the Groups pages and since Google
took over Deja News and made itself the world repository of usenet
messages, being able to search is IMO a fairly important feature.
Still there for me. The link I use (below) result looks a little
different from normal, but in the box at the top labelled
"Conversations" there's a little downward pointing triangle and if you
click on it you get the old search options.
<https://groups.google.com/g/uk.media.radio.archers>
Thanks BrritSki! I usually just start to write uk.medi........ and the
normal Google page offers me the Groups page and I click through. The
url I get is a lot longer than yours, though. So, when I am back in my
browser I will try visiting the umra page directly via your link.
Thanks again,

2020-09-13 17:44:17 UTC
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 20:48:06 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
To follow up, clicking or copy/pasting the above link takes me
straight to a Google sign-in page (Firefox browser, Win 7, laptop) or
a Google help page about signing in (Chrome, Android, Moto E) so I
guess the change means the search facility is now only available for
signed-in users.

2020-09-13 10:53:15 UTC
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 19:46:24 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
My little problem at the moment with Google Groups is that the search
bar seems to have disappeared from the Groups pages and since Google
took over Deja News and made itself the world repository of usenet
messages, being able to search is IMO a fairly important feature.
Still there for me. The link I use (below) result looks a little
different from normal, but in the box at the top labelled
"Conversations" there's a little downward pointing triangle and if you
click on it you get the old search options.
<https://groups.google.com/g/uk.media.radio.archers>
I see from that, jpg and Vicky have their photos showing but I do not.
Possibly because I don't use my gmail account on usenet, though neither
does John... Nope, looking at my google groups where I do use my gmail
account, that theory is blown out of the water, although I usually email
content there, rather than visiting the website.

I see my photo appears on 'My membership settings' for umra but I don't use
either of the email addresses it knows about here.
2020-09-13 17:00:59 UTC
[...]
I can't see my photo if I follow the link, or go to 10/9