Ask EU: Nuggering deskie problem
2021-01-12 15:30:42 UTC
I know my deskie was bought longer ago than last year and is therefore
well over the hill and I will replace it ASAP, but in the meantime, can
anyrat tell me why it keeps insisting "No internet" when there is
nothing wrong with my network because my tablet and lapdog (via which
this plea is reaching you) are connected?

A few months ago when I had some minor works done on the deskie I told
The Lovely Gary that it kept losing the wifi connection and he said the
dongle I was using was perhaps getting past it and he fitted something
else. I *still* keep finding the wifi connection has dropped, but
usually it's just a case of telling it to connect again and it does and
everything is ok until it drops it again. This morning I had internet
but this afternoon it shows that I am connected (ie there's a big button
labelled Disconnect rather than one labelled Connnect) and under the
name of the hub it says "No internet, secured." I've tried re-setting
it several times, tried re-setting the hub and tried re-booting the
computer but to no avail.

(It would also be extremely helpful is somerat could tell me what the
heck I've done with the little USB thingie that belongs to the lapdog's
mouse, but I don't expect miracles, even of Umrats.)
2021-01-12 15:52:17 UTC
[...]
Various random thoughts.

1. Is the mouse dongle in the mouse - some of them have a space to
store it?

2. Is the wifi dongle in the wrong sort of USB socket and could it be
in another USB socket?

3. Is the wifi dongle at the back of the deskie and therefore not in a
good position to attain a strong wifi signal - could it be moved to the
front?

4. Do you have a USB cable so that the wifi dongle can be on the other
end of the cable in a better place for a wifi signal?

5. Do you have a powered USB hub that could plug into the deskie and
also enable to wifi dongle to be in a better location? Not an unpowered
one as that may not provide enough power to the dongle.

6. Could the mouse dongle be in the spares box or in the other general
litter (I have a lot of that in front of the monitor as I can then reach
the umpteem adaptors and so on that seem to be needed these days?

HTH
2021-01-12 16:25:05 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:52:17 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
[...]
7. Have you mistaken the mouse dongle for the wi-fi dongle?
2021-01-12 16:35:57 UTC
1. Is the mouse dongle in the mouse - some of them have a space to
store it?
I meant to say "No, it isn't in the mouse" in case anyone suggested
that! Your suggestion that it could be "in the other general litter" is
almost certainly the case. Trouble is, there's just so much "general
litter" here!
Post by krw
2. Is the wifi dongle in the wrong sort of USB socket and could it
be in another USB socket?
I shall have to move a lot of stuff and get the deskie out into full
view to investigate. I'm not sure exactly what the dongle situation is.
The thing I had was a little USB dongle that I kept plugged into one
of the 2 USB sockets on the front of the deskie because it was so easy to
just pull it out and push it back in whenever "the line dropped." The
new arrangment looks like an L made of plastic tubing and was sticking
out of the middle of the back of the machine when I picked it up from
the computer hospital so I have never looked at it closely but assumed
it wasn't the same sort of USB connection as the old one. I could be
wrong. I'll try again with the computer in a more open position and see
if that helps.
Joe Kerr
2021-01-12 17:59:41 UTC
[...]
That sounds like you have a WiFi card in the 'puter (no USB) involved)
the "L-shaped bit sticking out will be the aerial. It will probably
rotate parallel to the rear of said 'puter so you could try moving it
from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa) to see if it makes a
difference. It will probably also pivot away from the 'puter so you
could also try changing that alignment.

The connection here has (had?) a tendency to keep dropping out, usually
between early Sunday afternoon and early Monday morning, making it
unusable for any serious downloading and the like. Could you just have a
timing problem that the connection drops when using deskie but has
reconnected when you are in Lapland?

Could you have a dodgy/intermittent connection where assorted gadgets
get disconnected but the portables have a suitable password that allows
them to connect to another router (a public connection on a neighbours
BT service, for example) whereas the deskie doesn't have the password
and even though it may find a signal can't connect.
Ric
John Ashby
2021-01-12 19:22:58 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
There are USB wifi dongles with such aerials, I just passed one on with
an old deskie to a local school for use in lockdown. [ps/2 keyboard and
mouse, how quaint!]

If it's possible to get the deskie close to and in good line of sight to
the router and see if the dropouts still happen. If so there's a dodgy
card or connection. If it works well there, see where else you might put
it and maintain connectivity.

2021-01-13 11:28:46 UTC
If it's possible to get the deskie close to and in good line of sight to
the router and see if the dropouts still happen. If so there's a dodgy
card or connection. If it works well there, see where else you might put
it and maintain connectivity.
I could take it into the hall and plug it in there, but unfortunately
there's nowhere else I can site it and actually use it other than where
it now is.

Eventually last night, after trying repeatedly to get it connected over
a period of some hours it did eventally do so. This morning it is back
to "No internet" again.

I might try Jpeg's suggestion of using an ethernet cable.

Thanks everyone
2021-01-12 16:31:09 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:30:42 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
I know my deskie was bought longer ago than last year and is therefore
well over the hill and I will replace it ASAP, but in the meantime, can
anyrat tell me why it keeps insisting "No internet" when there is
nothing wrong with my network because my tablet and lapdog (via which
this plea is reaching you) are connected?
My browser keeps telling me that.
It hadn't occurred to me it could be the fault of the wi-fi dongle, which
I've only been using for 10 months, since I had probs with half the sockets
in the sitting room and shifted the router to the main phone socket in the
hall.

They don't make things like they used too - or not the things you find in
eTsco, anyway. It may be time to find a better dongle.

Thanks for putting that thought in my head. I also need a new keyboard -
sherry may be the worst thing to spill on your keyboarddddddddddddddd
(see?) - and mouse (mine keeps double clicking :()
2021-01-12 17:08:26 UTC
Another Fino mess you've gotten me into...
Joe Kerr
2021-01-12 18:03:36 UTC
[...]
Grated cheese is very good at sticking keys together, too. Not sure of
its effect on mice.

I think spilling superglue on a keyboard would be worse than sherry.
Ric
Mike McMillan
2021-01-12 18:35:21 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
They tend to put on weight if eaten to excess.
2021-01-12 22:40:56 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:03:36 +0000, Joe Kerr <***@cheerful.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Penny
Thanks for putting that thought in my head. I also need a new keyboard -
sherry may be the worst thing to spill on your keyboarddddddddddddddd
(see?) - and mouse (mine keeps double clicking :()
Grated cheese is very good at sticking keys together, too. Not sure of
its effect on mice.
Do mice actually like cheese? I've never figured that out - I know they
like chewing holes in folded clothes and chewing the ends of every
chocolate bar on a sales display. I've only ever caught them (in a live
trap) with chocolate.
Post by Joe Kerr
I think spilling superglue on a keyboard would be worse than sherry.
Hm, not so sure. Unlikely to be as large a quantity and, once the keys have
been prised off, cleaned up and refitted, probably won't continue to give
trouble.
2021-01-13 20:27:22 UTC
Do mice actually like cheese? I've never figured that out - I know they
like chewing holes in folded clothes and chewing the ends of every
chocolate bar on a sales display. I've only ever caught them (in a live
trap) with chocolate.
Chocolate works, but it can be messy. We used sunflower seeds, since we
had plenty on hand[1].

[1] Kept in mouse-proof containers, obv.
2021-01-13 22:07:46 UTC
Do mice actually like cheese? I've never figured that out - I know they
like chewing holes in folded clothes and chewing the ends of every
chocolate bar on a sales display. I've only ever caught them (in a live
trap) with chocolate.
Chocolate works, but it can be messy. We used sunflower seeds, since
we had plenty on hand[1].
[1] Kept in mouse-proof containers, obv.
ISTR reading that peanut butter works well.

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Penny
2021-01-13 23:48:07 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:07:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Do mice actually like cheese? I've never figured that out - I know they
like chewing holes in folded clothes and chewing the ends of every
chocolate bar on a sales display. I've only ever caught them (in a live
trap) with chocolate.
Chocolate works, but it can be messy. We used sunflower seeds, since
we had plenty on hand[1].
[1] Kept in mouse-proof containers, obv.
ISTR reading that peanut butter works well.
Messier than chocolate.

One thing about he incident of the mouse infestation in our shop surprised
me. My grandmother's cook book, which contains a wonderful household hints
section, says peppermint oil can be useful as a mouse deterrent. The mice
which nibbled all the chocolate bars also nibbled the Trebor Mints - they'd
plainly not read that book.
2021-01-12 19:03:35 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 16:31:09, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
My browser keeps telling me that.
It hadn't occurred to me it could be the fault of the wi-fi dongle, which
I've only been using for 10 months, since I had probs with half the sockets
in the sitting room and shifted the router to the main phone socket in the
hall.
[]
They do work better at the master socket.

Wherever they are, the router(s) should be "filtered" from any POTS
(plain old telephone system - yes really!) equipment in the house
connected to the line: telephones (including cordless base stations),
answering machines, old dial-up MoDems, fax machines ... any of those
should have its own "microfilter", or they should all be on extension
wiring with a master microfilter (and the router should _not_ be on that
extension).

/Downton Abbey/ presented a version of the past that appealed to anyone who
had ever bought a National Trust tea towel. - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
BrritSki
2021-01-12 17:06:01 UTC
[...]
We had a similar problem a while ago and since we were both using our
tablets we knew it was the wifi rather that the laptops. Just kept
dropping out for a minute or so and then reconnecting. Some problem with
BT and then it went away...
Open the compartment where the battery is and see if it's hiding in there...
Sid Nuncius
2021-01-12 18:14:16 UTC
[...]
My cheapo Chinese notebook, which has a wi-fi dongle since the internal
thingy stopped working after a Windows Feature Update some time ago,
does the same thing. I boot it up and it comes on with normal wi-fi
connection. After 5 minutes or so it drops the connection and I get the
same "No internet, secured" message as you. I have no idea why.

Clicking on Disconnect and then Connect usually sorts it out. However,
sometimes I have to leave the "Connect Automatically" box unchecked or
it doesn't work. So unchecking that box and connecting manually is all
I can suggest.

I'll be interested to know whether a new dongle solves the problem. I
might try it if it works for you.
--
Sid
2021-01-12 18:56:00 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 18:14:16, Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
I'll be interested to know whether a new dongle solves the problem. I
might try it if it works for you.
If replacing a dongle (or wifi card), and your router is relatively new,
then unless you live on an isolated farm, make sure it is "dual band".

The original wifi band - around 2.4 GHz, same as the leakage from your
microwave - is likely to be pretty full, with all your neighbours and
you clamouring for one of the (11, IIRR) channels. TPTB authorised
another channel, around 5 GHz, to get round this problem (there are also
more channels, and they're wider). This is filling up fast too, but will
still more likely get through than the original band - provided both
devices have dual-band capability.

(Direct cable connection to the router avoids this altogether. But not
convenient for portable devices - lappy/tablet/'phone etcetera.)

Vicky Ayech
2021-01-12 19:28:43 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:56:00 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I'll be interested to know whether a new dongle solves the problem. I
might try it if it works for you.
Dongle just sounds rude but I have just had supper with 2 mini bottles
of white wine.>>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-01-12 18:45:15 UTC
I know my deskie was bought longer ago than last year and is therefore
well over the hill and I will replace it ASAP, but in the meantime, can
Worth asking in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (now has nothing to
do with Microsoft) or alt.windows7.general, as appropriate; the folk in
those are friendly and helpful. (Many of the same people.)
Post by Jenny M Benson
anyrat tell me why it keeps insisting "No internet" when there is
nothing wrong with my network because my tablet and lapdog (via which
this plea is reaching you) are connected?
At a guess, the wifi connection; you did have a "dongle", which has its
aerial inside it; TLGary fitted you a wifi card, with an aerial sticking
out the back. As more and more devices get online, the wifi hardware
(dongle or card) has more and more difficulty finding a clear channel
(i. e. the hardware itself may not be at fault).

As it's a desky not a lappy, probably you're not moving it around often;
is it near enough your "router" that you could connect them with an
ethernet cable? (One may well have come with the router - if not,
they're cheap enough online.) That would avoid any problem with the
wifi. If that's not possible, try moving the aerial (the L-shaped bit)
on the wifi card, or similar (if it has external ones) on the router, or
even moving the router (and/or the computer) - even a few inches can
help.
(It would also be extremely helpful is somerat could tell me what the
heck I've done with the little USB thingie that belongs to the lapdog's
mouse, but I don't expect miracles, even of Umrats.)
Plugged it into a different USB socket to the one you use normally on
the lappy, perhaps? (Or on something else - the desky, a 'phone charger,
...) I know some lappys have at least one of their USB sockets round the
back.

"Offer me a drink." "It's six o'clock in the morning!" "Then float a Cheerio
in it." - Franks and Gibbs, NCIS