Ask EU
2018-12-19 14:38:57 UTC
I was browsing around and came across this:

https://www.thekeyfactory.uk/products/microsoft-office-2016-professional-plus-for-windows-pc.html#product-reviews

I am using Office 2010 and the regular price seems to be:

https://www.ebuyer.com/748609-office-home-business-2016-medialess-t5d-02826

Can any umrat explain the price difference and how the first of these is
some form of scam which I am not sure I understand.
Mike Headon
2018-12-19 15:10:28 UTC
https://www.thekeyfactory.uk/products/microsoft-office-2016-professional-plus-for-windows-pc.html#product-reviews
https://www.ebuyer.com/748609-office-home-business-2016-medialess-t5d-02826
Can any umrat explain the price difference and how the first of these is
some form of scam which I am not sure I understand.
Just a year ago I got Office Plus 2016 for £9.97 on Amazon, although the
exact link is no longer active. Seems legit and working perfectly.
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R

---
Mike Headon
2018-12-19 15:23:08 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
https://www.thekeyfactory.uk/products/microsoft-office-2016-professional-plus-for-windows-pc.html#product-reviews
https://www.ebuyer.com/748609-office-home-business-2016-medialess-t5d-02826
Can any umrat explain the price difference and how the first of these
is some form of scam which I am not sure I understand.
Just a year ago I got Office Plus 2016 for £9.97 on Amazon, although the
exact link is no longer active. Seems legit and working perfectly.
At least two similar offers on Amazon today.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Office-2016-Professional-Windows/dp/B07GN3FQGC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545232814&sr=8-3&keywords=ms+office+2016+professional+plus

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Professional-Electronic-Software-Download/dp/B015QZAEMC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545232814&sr=8-4&keywords=ms+office+2016+professional+plus

Obviously I cannot vouch for either. Please read the reviews!

2018-12-19 15:43:19 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
I looked at some online key factory reviews and these are of diverse
opinions - looks like it might well be a scam.
2018-12-19 16:11:50 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this after
March 29th.

2018-12-19 17:27:53 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
Nick
‘Ask To Hell in a Handcart’?
2018-12-19 23:20:07 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
Ask Umra's Knowledgebank of Great Brains and Nurtured Intellects ?

Ask Umra's Personal Service Highly Integrated Taskforce
Comprising Realtime Experience & Expert Knowledgebase ?

I'm sure we could shorten them if we tried

2018-12-20 08:13:07 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
Not without a paddle we couldn’t!
2018-12-19 22:55:01 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?

2018-12-21 06:00:57 UTC
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this after
March 29th.
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?
Umwikia?
Some of us would prefer to Remain with Encyclopaedia Umratica to allow
the free movement of facts and opinions.
'Tis the yeares midnight
Dumrat
2018-12-21 06:26:37 UTC
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this after March 29th.
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?
Umwikia?
Some of us would prefer to Remain with Encyclopaedia Umratica to allow the free movement
of facts and opinions.
Applause!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
DavidK
and we don't want to disturb Hari Seldon's plan, do we?
Sam Plusnet
2018-12-21 22:50:12 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Dumrat
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this after March 29th.
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?
Umwikia?
Some of us would prefer to Remain with Encyclopaedia Umratica to
allow the free movement of facts and opinions.
Applause!
and we don't want to disturb Hari Seldon's plan, do we?
Who plays The Mule in your Christmas Panto?
the Omrud
2018-12-23 17:22:28 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Dumrat
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this after March 29th.
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?
Umwikia?
Some of us would prefer to Remain with Encyclopaedia Umratica to
allow the free movement of facts and opinions.
Applause!
and we don't want to disturb Hari Seldon's plan, do we?
Who plays The Mule in your Christmas Panto?
As I recall, The Mule was a disruption to the smooth running of the
plan, being something akin to a mutation. Hmmm. Natasha?
David
Vicky Ayech
2018-12-23 17:28:00 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by DavidK
Post by Dumrat
We're going to have to find a new title for threads like this
after March 29th.
Ask Umratic Knowledgebase?
Umwikia?
Some of us would prefer to Remain with Encyclopaedia Umratica to
allow the free movement of facts and opinions.
Applause!
and we don't want to disturb Hari Seldon's plan, do we?
Who plays The Mule in your Christmas Panto?
As I recall, The Mule was a disruption to the smooth running of the
plan, being something akin to a mutation. Hmmm. Natasha?
He was able also to magically charm everyone. Maybe Russ will do that
at dinner? Please not!

krw
2018-12-19 23:24:51 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
OK, some digging has shown that some of the sellers offering these low
prices (which may not include Key Factory) are taking apart and
scrapping PCs. If they have a legal licence for Office then in theory
the licence will work when you download the new software. If the key
does not work then the chances of a refund are close to zero.

I suspect Microsoft would not legally recognise such a transfer but
presumably the potential cost for closing this abuse (if such it be) is
more significant than the revenue lost.

My copy of Office (I think) was acquired because my recent employer was
able to arrange inexpensive copies for employees to use at home in
return for a modest fee. Given that I am no longer employed I ought at
some point to regularise the position. I am using Office 2010 and
whilst more modern versions probably have nothing extra which is of use
so there is no urgency.
2018-12-20 00:45:13 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Mike Headon
Post by krw
[...]
<lightbulb> I've seen these adverts. It's only legal under the terms of
the license agreement to sell a key with a computer. So these people
sell you a key and a computer: they post/email the key to you but the PC
is collection only and if you don't turn up to collect it they don't
care. In fact I wonder what would happen if one did turn up to collect it?

Have you tried (free) Libre Office? Or have we had this conversation before?

2018-12-20 08:05:30 UTC
Have you tried (free) Libre Office? Or have we had this conversation before?
Just to add that I went over to LibreOffice a few months ago after a
Windows 10 update meant that I couldn't use my elderly version of Excel
any more. I use LibreOffice as I used to use Word and Excel and have
found it very good.

(I don't use the other two programs - or are they apps now?
2018-12-20 10:48:25 UTC
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 08:05:30 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Have you tried (free) Libre Office? Or have we had this conversation before?
Just to add that I went over to LibreOffice a few months ago after a
Windows 10 update meant that I couldn't use my elderly version of Excel
any more. I use LibreOffice as I used to use Word and Excel and have
found it very good.
(I don't use the other two programs - or are they apps now?
I used to use the predecessor to Libre Office but have not installed any
such thing on this ex-uni computer. It does have the stuff on it which
comes with Windoze 10 Pro (which I think includes some version of the
Office Suite) but I don't use those either. I rarely have the need for such
things but when I do I use Google Docs and have several spreadsheets in use
there.
2018-12-20 11:13:18 UTC
Have you tried (free) Libre Office? Or have we had this conversation before?
I do have a copy on the pc.

Once upon a time I used Word Pro / 1-2-3 and was stuck to Lotus long
after it ceased being used.

At work I was sort of of forced to use Word / Excel but never really
took to the former (the latter I managed to hook into our Oracle
database so could extract information and run pivot tables and all sorts
some of which I suspect continued after I departed until they junked the
Oracle system earlier this year). However I could never get Word to
sing and dance like Word Pro used to, but I sort of got used to the
ribbon to find things and Libre Office is just that bit different again
and still uses menus. Not saying I can't use it - but I spend ages
trying to find the "right" entry on the menu so it slows me down, and I
am slow enough these days!
2018-12-21 12:49:20 UTC
https://www.thekeyfactory.uk/products/microsoft-office-2016-professional-plus-for-windows-pc.html#product-reviews
https://www.ebuyer.com/748609-office-home-business-2016-medialess-t5d-02826
Can any umrat explain the price difference and how the first of these is
some form of scam which I am not sure I understand.
Don't know anything about the sellers you mention but I bought Office
2010 a little while (2 years? a bit less?) ago and it came (via eBay)
from what appeared to be a private address in London and although all
sealed packaging the printing was very poor with spelling and grammar
errors and when I tried to install it I got messages that it was a
pirate copy. Was also told this by a Microsoft person I had to ring to
try and resolve it and they advised me to inform my local Police. I
didn't actually report it, but told the seller what MS said and he was
most irate and insisted it was valid. He did, however, refund me.

I then purchased another low-priced copy from a seller in Liverpool (via
Amazon I THINK) and it was said to be licensed for 2 installations, but
when I tried to install it on my lapdog it was refused. The seller was
apologetic and immediately resolved the problem. (I just forget whether
he sent another disk or just provided a key - the former, I think.)
2018-12-21 13:46:48 UTC
[...]
Thanks Jenny. I suspect that these operations are walking a dodgy line
and some appear more willing to put things right than others.

Following Nick's suggestion I had another go with Libre Office earlier
but the minutes simply will not adopt the format I want. The trouble is
a lot of the content is being copied and pasted from elsewhere and is I
suspect bringing spurious codes which defeat the logic inherent to LO.
If I started from scratch it might not be a problem. The trouble is
that this month's minutes are last month's with changes rather than
completely new and I am not the Secretary.

Which reminds me any 'rats of friends of 'rats closish to Yateley who
feel they could help Yelabus - a small local charity? We are two
Trustees down - Secretary and Treasurer and whilst I could do one of the
jobs two on top of current work is one too many.

Just a thought. We do good providing transport for the less able etc in
the area.
2018-12-21 16:45:11 UTC
[...]
Good luck with that. No one wants those two posts in my local experiences.

2018-12-21 21:31:28 UTC
[...]
I use Libre Office, and when I was given a Microsoft Word document and
edited it and returned it, the alignment was way-off.

I have bought a Windows Licence* from a similar seller (in order to
replace the lost OEM licence) and it seems to be working fine. I don't
undestand why, but I had to use it within 24 hours after it was supplied.

*In order to run Adobe Digital Editions
steveski
2018-12-21 22:19:16 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by krw
Following Nick's suggestion I had another go with Libre Office earlier
but the minutes simply will not adopt the format I want.  The trouble
is a lot of the content is being copied and pasted from elsewhere and
is I suspect bringing spurious codes which defeat the logic inherent to
LO. If I started from scratch it might not be a problem.  The trouble
is that this month's minutes are last month's with changes rather than
completely new and I am not the Secretary.
I use Libre Office, and when I was given a Microsoft Word document and
edited it and returned it, the alignment was way-off.
Since M$ are catholics i.e. they have a wall that doesn't see anyone else
(although they are being dragged kicking and screaming into the century
of Open Source to some extent), most of the miseries can be sorted out by
file format stuff.

Saving in the lowest M$ format generally makes files compatible - Linux
can see them and, HURRAH!, so can Windoze.

This runs into trouble at higher formatting levels e.g. macros etc.
When I send an .odt, for example, (it IS the European standard,
dontcherknow) to an M$-using friend, I save it as Word 2007 which by now
is readable without changing the formatting by a very large percentage of
the population.
2018-12-21 22:54:24 UTC
Post by DavidK
I use Libre Office, and when I was given a Microsoft Word document and
edited it and returned it, the alignment was way-off.
I suspect that the ability to create this sort of effect is one
important factor in the desire to keep updating Microsoft products.

Can't have people using free or cheap software instead of our stuff.
2018-12-22 23:07:07 UTC
Post by DavidK
I use Libre Office, and when I was given a Microsoft Word document and
edited it and returned it, the alignment was way-off.
I suspect that the ability to create this sort of effect is one
important factor in the desire to keep updating Microsoft products.
Can't have people using free or cheap software instead of our stuff.
Our company are slowly migrating staff over to Win10 and Office 2016.
As we are a small office of 4, we were one of the early transfers, so
IT could check the set ups [1].

We have a whole raft of standard documents we use for audits,
including the audit report template. One of our number is rather more
technologically challenged than the rest and it's not uncommon for him
to somehow mess up the formatting of the audit report while cutting &
pasting bits from other documents. A couple of months ago, the boss
had endless problems with a report he'd been sent to approve, as the
formatting was all over the place.

It turned out that it wasn't the auditor's fault, it was something to
do with the move from one version of Word format to the newer one.
We've had to adjust the template and make sure it's saved in a format
that we can send out to all those who are still using Office 2010.

[1] Our IT department have a deeply ingrained suspicion of pretty much
everything, so all our settings are locked down tighter than President
Bartlet's daughters. It's massively irritating, especially as we
can't even have the number lock set to on when we boot up in the
morning. One project that's been struggling through implementation
all year has finally been solved once IT let on that they don't like
the link between the DWP systems and ours, so have blocked the IP
address they've been trying to link to so that residents can apply
online or discounts on their council tax or report a change of
address. We're pretty sure the problems with the new phone system are
down to the IT boys as well.
2018-12-23 08:03:42 UTC
Post by Fenny
[1] Our IT department have a deeply ingrained suspicion of pretty much
everything, so all our settings are locked down tighter than President
Bartlet's daughters. It's massively irritating, especially as we
can't even have the number lock set to on when we boot up in the
morning.
YANOU Frod was pretty much the same. Many of us solved the problem by
only switching off the monitor at night and covering any blinky lights
on the PC (security would turn things off overnight on their rounds).

I know it cost a bit more electrickery, but it saved me about 10 minutes
in the morning booting up and restarting several apps and opening
various windows in the CASE tool and positioning them just where I
needed them.
John Ashby
2018-12-23 15:30:53 UTC
Post by Fenny
[1] Our IT department have a deeply ingrained suspicion of pretty much
everything, so all our settings are locked down tighter than President
Bartlet's daughters.  It's massively irritating, especially as we
can't even have the number lock set to on when we boot up in the
morning.
YANOU Frod was pretty much the same. Many of us solved the problem by
only switching off the monitor at night and covering any blinky lights
on the PC (security would turn things off overnight on their rounds).
I know it cost a bit more electrickery, but it saved me about 10 minutes
in the morning booting up and restarting several apps and opening
various windows in the CASE tool and positioning them just where I
needed them.
It probably also saved a year or so on the life of the computer. Our
advice was to switch off as little as possible, as cycling the power
supply was a major source of failure.

2018-12-23 08:45:19 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]