Melting Glaciers
2020-01-28 17:12:06 UTC
On an earlyish news broadcast on Radio 3 today, I heard them report that a
melting glacier the size of the UK was now melting faster than had hitherto
been thought. They claimed that this was causing a 4% rise in the sea’s
Ievel! I thought at the time that this was a clever as a report a few weeks
ago in which someone had claimed a doubling of degrees centigrade had
doubled the temperature! On a later newscast, I noted the melting glacier
was actually thought to be contributing 4% to the increase in the rise of
sea levels. I’m glad they sorted that out - we know journos like to be
accurate, even if it does result in ruining a good story. ;-)))
2020-01-29 09:23:46 UTC
On an earlyish news broadcast on Radio 3 today, I heard them report that a
melting glacier the size of the UK was now melting faster than had hitherto
been thought. They claimed that this was causing a 4% rise in the sea’s
Ievel! I thought at the time that this was a clever as a report a few weeks
ago in which someone had claimed a doubling of degrees centigrade had
doubled the temperature! On a later newscast, I noted the melting glacier
was actually thought to be contributing 4% to the increase in the rise of
sea levels. I’m glad they sorted that out - we know journos like to be
accurate, even if it does result in ruining a good story. ;-)))
They were actually quite clear that it was 4% OF the rise sea level,
which is about .1mm, but the whole item was phrased deliberately to
spread more alarm.

The RATE of MSL rise has not changed significantly according to tide
gauges for 140 years. The Satellite records show the same for a much
shorter period (obviously), although there are questions about the
discrepancies about the two records and adjustments made to the data.

<https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/>

<https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2015/09/04/more-massive-sea-level-fraud-at-nasa/>