OT: Concerning Google
2020-03-25 09:48:08 UTC
I've got Chrome and Google fairly well trained so that if I merely type
a B in the address bar, the BBC Sounds URL appears. (I've got hooked on
True Crime podcasts.) But I noticed just now that the first item on the
list below was:

brigand -//
homme qui se livre au brigandage

How very odd! Has there been a sudden surge of French-speakersGgoggling
for the meaning of the word? And if so why? And if not, why does
Goggle think there's a very strong chance that is the 2nd most likely
starting-with-b thing I would be looking for?
Wrexham, UK
Penny
2020-03-25 23:26:37 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:48:08 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
I've got Chrome and Google fairly well trained so that if I merely type
a B in the address bar, the BBC Sounds URL appears. (I've got hooked on
True Crime podcasts.) But I noticed just now that the first item on the
brigand -//
homme qui se livre au brigandage
How very odd! Has there been a sudden surge of French-speakersGgoggling
for the meaning of the word? And if so why? And if not, why does
Goggle think there's a very strong chance that is the 2nd most likely
starting-with-b thing I would be looking for?
Et en Francais.

I was boggled earlier by that new spelling and grammar checker I'm testing.
I had a list of 23 text boxes to check and was working happily down them
when it suddenly queried
the street
in the middle of a sentence. It suggested 'the' should perhaps be 'The' (I
can't recall what it said about street).
Then I noticed it wasn't marking them as 'possible spelling error' but with
the equivalent German phrase.
Clicking in the next and subsequent boxes it reverted to English on any
suspect words.

The world really has gone barmy.