OT: get_iplayer (or similar) advice sought
2018-04-05 23:11:01 UTC
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".

My travelling American genealogist cousin was interviewed on BBC Wales:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
or
https://www.facebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/?hc_ref=ARQ
KUpNlqzwzbtTnmL0PRJ0B36tBYq1xCiJ2fC0fT4toL5YutNuxDdMMbYdwIuC-qyw
or
https://wwwfacebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to capture the 72-second video; the
nearest I can get is 18 segments in something like .m4m files, which I
don't know how to do anything with anyway. Any suggestions?

If anyone's interested in "seeing ourselves as others see us", you might
enjoy https://rootsonwheels.com/2018/03/22/impressions-of-great-britain/
(and the "next/previous post" links at the bottom, though skip the
detailed genealogy ones as they'll be boring to non-enthusiasts); you
can always get the latest four at the bottom of
https://rootsonwheels.com/ - such as
https://rootsonwheels.com/2018/04/01/beast-from-the-east/ and
https://rootsonwheels.com/2018/04/04/interview-on-bbc-wales/

[Incidentally: when she was here 7 years ago - when she would have been
about 54 - and we visited a mining museum, she picked up a lump and said
"is this coal"? She'd never seen coal!!]

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Sam Plusnet
2018-04-06 01:53:32 UTC
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
The two places mentioned in Wales are within 3 miles of this keyboard.
2018-04-06 02:22:37 UTC
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
The two places mentioned in Wales are within 3 miles of this keyboard.
!
You're not _into_ genealogy, are you? I'm sure I could put you in touch
with Chris if you might have common ancestors. (I would have emailed
this.)

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.
It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)
Sam Plusnet
2018-04-06 17:49:12 UTC
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".
  My travelling American genealogist cousin was interviewed on BBC
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
The two places mentioned in Wales are within 3 miles of this keyboard.
!
You're not _into_ genealogy, are you? I'm sure I could put you in touch
with Chris if you might have common ancestors. (I would have emailed this.)
One mild burst to clarify a few things about my grandparents, but
otherwise, no.

I don't think the chances of common ancestry is any more likely that
between any two people selected at random.

"I bain't be from round these 'ere parts."
the Omrud
2018-04-06 10:37:39 UTC
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
or
https://www.facebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/?hc_ref=ARQ
KUpNlqzwzbtTnmL0PRJ0B36tBYq1xCiJ2fC0fT4toL5YutNuxDdMMbYdwIuC-qyw
or
https://wwwfacebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to capture the 72-second video; the
nearest I can get is 18 segments in something like .m4m files, which I
don't know how to do anything with anyway. Any suggestions?
Any Video Convertor is your friend:

https://filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/

Paste the URL of the BBC page into the Download URL section, choose an
output format and the Convert. Presto!
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-06 13:52:39 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
No Archers/Ambridge content in this post. Though 'rats may enjoy ...
well, skip down to the paragraph that begins "If".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43639964
or
https://www.facebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/?hc_ref=ARQ
KUpNlqzwzbtTnmL0PRJ0B36tBYq1xCiJ2fC0fT4toL5YutNuxDdMMbYdwIuC-qyw
or
https://wwwfacebook.com/BBCWalesNews/videos/1669578413108239/
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to capture the 72-second video;
the nearest I can get is 18 segments in something like .m4m files,
which I don't know how to do anything with anyway. Any suggestions?
https://filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/
Paste the URL of the BBC page into the Download URL section, choose an
output format and the Convert. Presto!
Thanks; looks an excellent utility (especially for free)!

It got the file from the www.bbc.co.uk page fine. It took me a while to
find out how _not_ to convert - i. e. see the file in original format as
downloaded; I eventually found it (you right-click on the tiny
thumbnail, and select Open Source File Location ... [_after_ it has
downloaded]).

It wouldn't get the one from the facebook pages though, which is a pity
(it spent a while having a go, but failed in the end. Maybe it's because
I don't have a facebook account?) - as the one on the BBC page, though
the right shape, is only 960×540. The one Iain Archer kindly got for me
from somewhere is 1080×1080 - you can see it's much clearer, but only
9/16 of the picture! (Actually, looking at the figures now, 960 is not
that much less than 1080, so there must be more to it than just the
resolution. The BBC [webpage] one must be fuzzed somehow.)

But thanks; it looks like a useful utility for converting between
formats, too. Especially for free!

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)
the Omrud
2018-04-06 14:02:20 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
It is. It's particularly useful for extracting audio from video
streams, which works well with YouTube. I'm a huge fan of dbPowerAmp,
but it doesn't cope well with video, so I use AVC to extract raw audio
and then process it with dbPowerAmp.
--
David