OT: Statuary
2020-06-29 12:13:41 UTC
Excellent article in today's Times by Trevor Phillips (why isn't he a
Sir at least, or in the HoL ?).

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/feed0afe-b978-11ea-84a6-a03a9956ea0a?shareToken=2cf9d024ee8b5e47bcf570b9a0ac5593>

I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
Jim Easterbrook
2020-06-29 13:03:13 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
2020-06-29 13:28:07 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
Stalin didn't have much good to be remembered though, whereas a lot of
the statues that people want removing had good aspects to them too.
Mike
2020-06-29 15:53:41 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
Stalin didn't have much good to be remembered though, whereas a lot of
the statues that people want removing had good aspects to them too.
Yeah, that one in Brissle, didn’t ‘e ‘ave summat to do with white goods?
2020-06-29 15:56:45 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
Stalin didn't have much good to be remembered though, whereas a lot of
the statues that people want removing had good aspects to them too.
Yeah, that one in Brissle, didn’t ‘e ‘ave summat to do with white goods?
I.e. fings like:

https://www.backerelectric.com/shop/product/colston-dishwasher-10941b.asp
2020-06-29 19:30:31 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by BrritSki
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
I think we know about him even if we've never seen one of his statues,
though, whereas that wasn't the case with Colston (I'd certainly never
heard of him). [Also weren't Stalin's statues more or less
mass-produced?]
Stalin didn't have much good to be remembered though, whereas a lot of
the statues that people want removing had good aspects to them too.
Yeah, that one in Brissle, didn’t ‘e ‘ave summat to do with white goods?
https://www.backerelectric.com/shop/product/colston-dishwasher-10941b.asp
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that aspect (-:!

/Downton Abbey/ presented a version of the past that appealed to anyone who
had ever bought a National Trust tea towel. - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
Peter
2020-06-29 20:43:20 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by BrritSki
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
I think we know about him even if we've never seen one of his statues,
though, whereas that wasn't the case with Colston (I'd certainly never
heard of him
One thing I remember about Colston is that I saw B.B. King and Dame Edna
Everage in his hall some years ago. Need I remark that they weren't
both on the same bill?
Nick Odell
2020-06-30 21:30:23 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by BrritSki
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
I think we know about him even if we've never seen one of his statues,
though, whereas that wasn't the case with Colston (I'd certainly never
heard of him
One thing I remember about Colston is that I saw B.B. King and Dame Edna
Everage in his hall some years ago. Need I remark that they weren't
both on the same bill?
<snip>

The one thing I remember about the Colston Hall is that the upstairs
toilet windows did not have very good catches around 1969. But I think
I may have told that story to umra before.

2020-06-29 20:09:33 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
"
I suppose no one remembers Stalin now all his statues have gone.
There are two extant statues of him on Svalbard alone.
One here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramiden
the other here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barentsburg
Peter
2020-06-29 20:44:56 UTC
Excellent article in today's Times by Trevor Phillips (why isn't he a
Sir at least, or in the HoL ?).
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/feed0afe-b978-11ea-84a6-a03a9956ea0a?shareToken=2cf9d024ee8b5e47bcf570b9a0ac5593>
I particularly liked this bit: "Sir Geoff Palmer, Scotland’s first black
professor, has campaigned for years for explanatory plaques to be added
to statues of slave traders. According to him, toppling monuments will
simply erase the memory of the evil of which we are all capable: “You
remove the evidence, you remove the deed.”
That is a shockingly sensible remark.
"
krw
2020-06-29 21:10:42 UTC
Excellent article in today's Times by Trevor Phillips (why isn't he a
Sir at least, or in the HoL ?).
Having met the man at University I would bet he turned down all such offers.