Charlie Watts rolls no more...
198kHz
2021-08-24 17:56:47 UTC
It's moss gathering time.

Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
198kHz
Sid Nuncius
2021-08-25 05:34:21 UTC
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
--
Sid
Sarah Kate
2021-08-25 11:50:35 UTC
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
--
Sid
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.

SK
Sid Nuncius
2021-08-26 06:06:39 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
--
Sid
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Jenny M Benson
2021-08-26 09:35:42 UTC
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
At school I was usually called (by the other girls) by my surname, as
were several of the other girls.

I know of no rhyme or reason why the choice was made between names, but
it was stuck to, once made.
Wrexham, UK
Mike McMillan
2021-08-26 11:16:21 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from
his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Might that be Kate Minor?
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris J Dixon
2021-08-26 12:56:44 UTC
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
In the 60s my grammar school routinely addressed the boys by
their surname, but not so for the girls. :-(

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-08-26 15:10:24 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
In the 60s my grammar school routinely addressed the boys by
their surname, but not so for the girls. :-(
Girls? *Girls*? At my 1960s grammar school I suspect most of the staff
would have had a possibly fatal blood pressure spike at the mere thought
of girls in the school.

Mind you, so would we boys - but probably not for the same reasons. Nor
having an effect in quite the same places, come to think of it.
--
Sid
2021-08-27 09:10:41 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
In the 60s my grammar school routinely addressed the boys by
their surname, but not so for the girls.  :-(
Girls?  *Girls*?  At my 1960s grammar school I suspect most of the staff
would have had a possibly fatal blood pressure spike at the mere thought
of girls in the school.
Mind you, so would we boys - but probably not for the same reasons.  Nor
having an effect in quite the same places, come to think of it.
My first grammar school had no girls but we met girls from their grammar
school on the way home.

My second grammar school catered for all available sexes (I think that
is what we are supposed to say these days).
2021-08-26 16:49:55 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Vicky Ayech
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
In the 60s my grammar school routinely addressed the boys by
their surname, but not so for the girls. :-(
Chris
And in my grammar school, 1957-64, they did too.
Tony Smith
2021-08-26 18:26:10 UTC
He'ld answer to Hi or any loud cry/
John Ashby
2021-08-26 12:59:39 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Judging by her email address Kate is her middle name.

I rather annoyed my line manager's line manager by complaining that he
referred to me as "Ashby" on my annual appraisal and that that had
overtones of school. "John" or "Dr Ashby" would have been (IMO) more
appropriate.

He was the same man I rather shocked one time. I had been to visit him
(a three hour trip to our sister laboratory in the north) and about 3
o'clock I said that I needed to start the return journey, "F**k me!" he
expostulated to which I replied "Thanks for the offer but I really do
need to get going."

2021-08-26 15:42:52 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Judging by her email address Kate is her middle name.
I used, at work, to correspond with a woman whose email address,
following the company standard of <surname>< initials> was
***@...

Someone who did not know her, subsequently referred to "Robin
Sonmel"

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-08-26 16:59:36 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
[...]
Could have been worse - Robin's on Mel.

2021-08-26 14:59:10 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by 198kHz
It's moss gathering time.
Farewell Charlie, and thanks for all the good times.
<languid wave>
A fine drummer and somehow quietly compelling on stage when I saw the
Stones. Go well, Charlie.
As is so often the case, I didn't know anything about him apart from his role as the 'roll' in the Stones' rock and roll, but he sounds fascinating.
RIP Mr Watts.
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Er...so it would seem. Sorry, Sarah!
--
Sid
Sarah Kate
2021-08-26 15:13:56 UTC
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Er...so it would seem. Sorry, Sarah!
--
Sid
Haha no problem at all - I didn't even notice! To be honest, with a name which is distressingly common among my age group, I answer to a lot of things whcih aren't my actual name (within reason, obvs).

Bob
Mike McMillan
2021-08-26 15:33:09 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Vicky Ayech
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Er...so it would seem. Sorry, Sarah!
--
Sid
Haha no problem at all - I didn't even notice! To be honest, with a name
which is distressingly common among my age group, I answer to a lot of
things whcih aren't my actual name (within reason, obvs).
Bob
Taken the King’s Shilling eh?
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Anthony Smith
Nick Odell
2021-08-26 15:47:22 UTC
On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:13:56 -0700 (PDT), Sarah Kate
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Vicky Ayech
Welcome to umra, Kate. (My apologies of you've posted before and I
missed it.)
Are we now using boys' boarding school terms of address, Nuncius?
Er...so it would seem. Sorry, Sarah!
--
Sid
Haha no problem at all - I didn't even notice! To be honest, with a name which is distressingly common among my age group, I answer to a lot of things whcih aren't my actual name (within reason, obvs).
Bob
Well, Bob, welcome on board.

Edmund