Umra book club, Julna/Gamache
2020-02-03 10:02:46 UTC
I didn't remember that the Jalna series is set in Canada. They've
arrived, in Quebec, and the winter is very cold. The descriptions are
not as charming and inviting as in Louise Penny's books. Not sure yet
where they will move to. Ontario, I think. Jenny, I am struggling a
bit. The characters are not yet as interesting as Penny's were fairly
fast.
Jenny M Benson
2020-02-03 10:20:22 UTC
I didn't remember that the Jalna series is set in Canada. They've
arrived, in Quebec, and the winter is very cold. The descriptions are
not as charming and inviting as in Louise Penny's books. Not sure yet
where they will move to. Ontario, I think. Jenny, I am struggling a
bit. The characters are not yet as interesting as Penny's were fairly
fast.
Sorry to hear you are struggling, but I suppose we can't all be
passionate about the same things. I have to warn you that - IMHO -
Morning at Jalna is perhaps the weakest of the series. I do hope you
will persevere and grow to love the characters - who are all so
different and not always lovable!
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-03 11:35:28 UTC
On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 10:20:22 +0000, Jenny M Benson
I didn't remember that the Jalna series is set in Canada. They've
arrived, in Quebec, and the winter is very cold. The descriptions are
not as charming and inviting as in Louise Penny's books. Not sure yet
where they will move to. Ontario, I think. Jenny, I am struggling a
bit. The characters are not yet as interesting as Penny's were fairly
fast.
Sorry to hear you are struggling, but I suppose we can't all be
passionate about the same things. I have to warn you that - IMHO -
Morning at Jalna is perhaps the weakest of the series. I do hope you
will persevere and grow to love the characters - who are all so
different and not always lovable!
They got a large St Bernard so it is improving :) I loved them as a
teenager so they might grow on me again. I'm reading The Building of
Jalna now. Even second hand on Amazon are expensive but ebay has them
at reasonable prices.