is this going to be another quiet Saturday?
2020-07-25 09:24:13 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-07-25 09:54:37 UTC
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Mike
2020-07-25 10:04:22 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Yes, we talk about being ‘on’ when it is an island but, we are ‘in’ when on
a larger land mass.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-07-25 10:19:54 UTC
Or an archy-pelago. I would say "in" Orkney but "on" (e.g.) Hoy.
Kate B
2020-07-25 10:36:20 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Or an archy-pelago. I would say "in" Orkney but "on" (e.g.) Hoy.
In Orkney, on Hoy, at the beach. Now and then.
2020-07-26 12:38:21 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Are you nearly there yet?

2020-07-26 12:49:53 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Are you nearly there yet?
Sincerely Chris
A little contrived possibly but, if you have a nephew or niece by your
brother, if he/she ‘phoned your brother whilst they were waiting to get on
the ferry....

‘Are you in a Barra queue Da?’

IGMC
Tony Smith Gloucestershire

Nice try, but they havs no children.
Nick Odell
2020-07-26 16:45:09 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Are you nearly there yet?
Sincerely Chris
A little contrived possibly but, if you have a nephew or niece by your
brother, if he/she ‘phoned your brother whilst they were waiting to get on
the ferry....
‘Are you in a Barra queue Da?’
IGMC
A little contrived? A Little Contrived????

M'Lud, we thank the counsel for the defence for his opening statement
and with M'Lud's permission we will open the case for the prosecution
with these transcripts which we wish to present to the bench.

collection of <thump> papers comprises twenty-four years and
three-hundred-and-sixty-one day's-worth <enormous final thump> of
contributions by the defendant to the usenet newsgroup
uk.media.radio.archers otherwise known as umra.

M'Lud, the defendant is a habitual contriver and has seldom, if ever
presented an article which is not contrived. In fact M'Lud, I have
grave doubts, so ingrained in the defendant is the practice, whether
the defendant is even aware of the everyday contrivance committed on
his part.

M'Lud, may I suggest a recess so the court may consider the enormity
of the evidence placed before it today?

2020-07-26 19:45:00 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:45:09 -0300, Nick Odell
[...]
<aside>
Worthy of Messrs Norden and Muir if you ask me.
2020-07-27 20:45:50 UTC
[...]
I think the defendant must admit it is a blonde policeman.
2020-07-28 12:46:53 UTC
[...]
A fair cop (rather than a fur cup)

2020-07-28 13:42:19 UTC
[...]
A blond policeman or a blonde policewoman shirley ?

DINTAFPOU ?
John Ashby
2020-07-28 13:44:33 UTC
[...]
How terribly binary of you.

2020-07-28 16:31:32 UTC
I think the defendant must admit it is a blonde policeman.
A blond policeman or a blonde policewoman shirley ?
DINTAFPOU ?
How terribly binary of you.
john
How are languages which have agreeing adjectives managing non-binary
people, I wonder!

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
Min
2020-07-29 00:44:43 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 14:44:33, John Ashby
I think the defendant must admit it is a blonde policeman.
A blond policeman or a blonde policewoman shirley ?
DINTAFPOU ?
How terribly binary of you.
john
How are languages which have agreeing adjectives managing non-binary
people, I wonder!
If my experience with the non-binary is anything to go by, they will
simply use the plural. (See what I did there?)
Min
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
In some languages plural adjectives agree with gender. E.g. Spanish, Portugues and Italian.
Vicky Ayech
2020-07-29 13:04:42 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 02:08:35 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Min
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 14:44:33, John Ashby
I think the defendant must admit it is a blonde policeman.
A blond policeman or a blonde policewoman shirley ?
DINTAFPOU ?
How terribly binary of you.
john
How are languages which have agreeing adjectives managing non-binary
people, I wonder!
If my experience with the non-binary is anything to go by, they will
simply use the plural. (See what I did there?)
--
Min
In some languages plural adjectives agree with gender. E.g. Spanish, Portugues and Italian.
I've been learning Czech for just over a month and they have
m/f/n/pl/sing and nouns and adjectives and verbs change. I thought
German was bad but this is much worse. And the spellings change so
drastically they are unrecognisable as the same base word.
Nick Odell
2020-07-29 22:57:00 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
I ordered the book(1) but it has not arrived yet.

They keep telling me that the Czech is in the post.

Nick
(1)Actually I ordered two books at the same time from the Book
Depository for delivery here. They were despatched in separate packets
at the same time. One turned up in just a few weeks. The other..
...did not. Tracking says it is still in the despatch office. Oh
well...
Chris McMillan
2020-07-30 16:52:40 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
The rnib clised its braille library in March for obvious reasons. Two of
my friends love their hard copy braille like people love print books.
They were ekeing out the books they had when after about 8 weeks suddenly a
whole book (several volumes) turned up. Then another book a day or so
later. First it was denied it could happen. Then, “must have been delayed
in the post” (Braille goes first class with it’s special label). I’m not
sure they got an answer as they were told it’s not possible to send back as
the library is housed in a rented building by RNIB, and the owner has
stopped its use. Must enquire again after several weeks.

2020-07-30 19:13:40 UTC
The rnib clised its braille library in March for obvious reasons. Two of
my friends love their hard copy braille like people love print books.
They were ekeing out the books they had when after about 8 weeks suddenly a
whole book (several volumes) turned up. Then another book a day or so
later. First it was denied it could happen. Then, “must have been delayed
in the post” (Braille goes first class with it’s special label). I’m not
sure they got an answer as they were told it’s not possible to send back as
the library is housed in a rented building by RNIB, and the owner has
stopped its use. Must enquire again after several weeks.
You may find

https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/test2-results.html

of interest, Chris.
Wrexham, UK
Chris McMillan
2020-07-31 11:14:51 UTC
The rnib clised its braille library in March for obvious reasons. Two of
my friends love their hard copy braille like people love print books.
They were ekeing out the books they had when after about 8 weeks suddenly a
whole book (several volumes) turned up. Then another book a day or so
later. First it was denied it could happen. Then, “must have been delayed
in the post” (Braille goes first class with it’s special label). I’m not
sure they got an answer as they were told it’s not possible to send back as
the library is housed in a rented building by RNIB, and the owner has
stopped its use. Must enquire again after several weeks.
You may find
https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/test2-results.html
of interest, Chris.
Indeedy. Presumably the building design was the problem rather than the
books. The public haven’t been told anything else. Whether a
consideration towards the visually impaired commuter came into it too I
don’t know. The RNIB building itself is closed to the public for its shop
area. Staff would work from home but until we know from the govt that it’s
sensible to have face to face meetings my group, which uses RNIB meeting
rooms, will zoom.

2020-08-01 10:51:41 UTC
[...]
Right, I’ll try again in the right thread!

Well, it is Saturday again, will UMRA revitalise this thread again???
Steve Hague
2020-08-01 11:45:08 UTC
[...]
Actually at my computer today. Turned the screen on this morning (the
PC is on permanently) and there were two of everything with strange red
and green colouring and I thought disaster had struck.

And it is a new computer.

Turned the screen off and on again and normality returned (well nothing
is normal in this house but I think you know what I mean). But I assume
that the screen is on its way out.
2020-08-01 12:42:09 UTC
[...]
Sometimes if I just turn the screen off and touch the wrong button it
brings up other menus and some of them do colours and stuffs. Maybe
you touched one. Or is there a feline personage in the house?
Mike
2020-08-01 13:20:24 UTC
[...]
The little green and red men are coming to get you...
Joe Kerr
2020-08-01 22:51:55 UTC
Actually at my computer today.  Turned the screen on this morning (the
PC is on permanently) and there were two of everything with strange red
and green colouring and I thought disaster had struck.
And it is a new computer.
Turned the screen off and on again and normality returned (well nothing
is normal in this house but I think you know what I mean).  But I assume
that the screen is on its way out.
Was it trying to give you stereo 3D?
Ric
Mike
2020-08-02 07:19:53 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Actually at my computer today.  Turned the screen on this morning (the
PC is on permanently) and there were two of everything with strange red
and green colouring and I thought disaster had struck.
And it is a new computer.
Turned the screen off and on again and normality returned (well nothing
is normal in this house but I think you know what I mean).  But I assume
that the screen is on its way out.
Was it trying to give you stereo 3D?
Wot? Making a spectacle for you?
2020-07-29 21:54:15 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:04:42 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
I've been learning Czech for just over a month and they have
m/f/n/pl/sing and nouns and adjectives and verbs change. I thought
German was bad but this is much worse. And the spellings change so
drastically they are unrecognisable as the same base word.
That's (one of) my problems with Welsh - I've not made any attempt to learn
it and that's one of the reasons why. I do, however, spot the odd typo.
Min
2020-07-30 01:47:33 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:04:42 +0100, Vicky Ayech
I've been learning Czech for just over a month and they have
m/f/n/pl/sing and nouns and adjectives and verbs change. I thought
German was bad but this is much worse. And the spellings change so
drastically they are unrecognisable as the same base word.
That's (one of) my problems with Welsh - I've not made any attempt to learn
it and that's one of the reasons why. I do, however, spot the odd typo.
If you are reckless enough to try learning Arabic, then you get the dual too.
Min
Vicky Ayech
2020-07-30 08:24:57 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 18:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Post by Nick Odell
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:04:42 +0100, Vicky Ayech
I've been learning Czech for just over a month and they have
m/f/n/pl/sing and nouns and adjectives and verbs change. I thought
German was bad but this is much worse. And the spellings change so
drastically they are unrecognisable as the same base word.
That's (one of) my problems with Welsh - I've not made any attempt to learn
it and that's one of the reasons why. I do, however, spot the odd typo.
If you are reckless enough to try learning Arabic, then you get the dual too.
Well, I did go to Hebrew classes for a short while as a child, and
then there were classes when I was on a kibbutz for a few months in
1967. I picked up speaking more easily than any reading or writing.
But the teaching was not good.
Vicky Ayech
2020-07-30 08:22:39 UTC
I've been learning Czech for just over a month and they have
m/f/n/pl/sing and nouns and adjectives and verbs change. I thought
German was bad but this is much worse. And the spellings change so
drastically they are unrecognisable as the same base word.
That's (one of) my problems with Welsh - I've not made any attempt to learn
it and that's one of the reasons why. I do, however, spot the odd typo.
Well, my dad was Czech, but also German-speaking. I don't remember
talking to him at all really as he died when I was 7. I never met any
of that side of the family. I speak fluent German and began
conversation groups on Zoom in that a little while ago as I miss
speaking it and had not for about 35 years as noone from that side of
the family to do so with. And then I wondered about Czech, so began. I
thought it was something I probably should have thought of trying
sooner. It would have been easier when younger and also just nice to
know some of my other grandparents' language. But I am persevering :).
Min
2020-07-30 01:57:36 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
The way they are looking at it seems to use a third word with what I
can only call a 'neutral' ending. I didn't read much, but what it looks
like to me is they will be using 'it/those' or 'thing/things'. Only one of
those is acceptable/preferred in English non-binary circles. In Spanish etc., if they had to use a pronoun to describe a mixed group what would they use? They (m)
or they (f)?
Min
Vicky Ayech
I think possibly m.
Steve Hague
2020-07-27 06:24:50 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Not me myself, but my brother and s-i-l have just set off for a holiday on Barra.
Wasn't Barra destroyed by Gorgo's mother in about 1961 during the
British attempt to emulate the Godzilla films?
2020-07-25 11:21:39 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
The health club pool opened and I had my first swim since March. As I
swam daily for about 15 years before that I was so happy to be able to
again. I was the only person in the indoor pool for most of the time,
and then another woman who I have chatted to for years was in at first
too and it was so nice to see her again too.

I go very early so there are usually not as many as later in the day.
Pre-work swimmers used to go and other OAPs who like quiet times. I
do hope it remains that empty in the mornings :). The actual pool is
safe as it has chlorine and I was the only person in the showers at
that time and only saw one other person in the changing room, briefly.
I expect the changing rooms will normally be busier as they are for
people doing classes and gym too.

All the much-advertised precautions against the virus are rather poo.
Just notices all over the place saying they are socially distancing
and to do so and every alternate locker is distancing so not to be
used etc. They said at reception, which has plastic panels like
supermarkets, that there was hand sanitiser everywhere but I didn't
see any available in places there could have been.
Penny
2020-07-25 13:17:14 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 12:21:39 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
The health club pool opened and I had my first swim since March. As I
swam daily for about 15 years before that I was so happy to be able to
again. I was the only person in the indoor pool for most of the time,
and then another woman who I have chatted to for years was in at first
too and it was so nice to see her again too.
I go very early so there are usually not as many as later in the day.
Pre-work swimmers used to go and other OAPs who like quiet times. I
do hope it remains that empty in the mornings :). The actual pool is
safe as it has chlorine
Hm, all public pools have chlorine. It has never stopped me 'catching
something' from visits to a public pool.

When I reached 60 (free entry) I started using the pool here, often twice a
week. Public pools in Wales tend to be located next to the High School who
use them regularly without the need to bus pupils there and back. I used to
use the lunchtime 'adult only' session (even though it was sometimes
invaded by parents and small children from the starter class in the little
pool in the room next door. I did this for a couple of months then 'caught
something' which stopped me going.

Tried again after the summer hols, 'caught something' and stopped.
Repeated that the following September.
Gave up.

I've no idea when they are likely to reopen - and neither do they - but I
gather there will be a need to book.
2020-07-25 16:01:24 UTC
(Saturday is much like any other day for me. As before CV19, actually.)

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 14:17:14, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:
Hm, all public pools have chlorine. It has never stopped me 'catching
something' from visits to a public pool.
pool in the room next door. I did this for a couple of months then 'caught
something' which stopped me going.
Tried again after the summer hols, 'caught something' and stopped.
Repeated that the following September.
[]
It might well still have stopped you catching something. Nobody says
it's a total preventative.

I know _you_, Penny, wouldn't, but some would use the fact of their
having caught something despite it, as a reason to campaign for the
stopping of chlorination altogether.

(On a vaguely related subject, I get very irritated by those campaigning
against "chlorinated chicken"; it's not the chlorination itself which is
bad, it's IMO a _good_ thing, it's the fact that it can be used to hide
shoddy earlier processes. But no, it's something we don't do, so
therefore must be in itself bad. Xenophobia masquerading as [poor]
science.)

Hadrian's Wall has never been a border between Scotland and England. It lies
entirely within England but, when it was built in AD 122 by the Romans as a
defence against the raiding Picts, the future English were still in Germany
and the Scottish were still in Ireland.
- Michael Cullen, Skye, in RT 2014/12/6-12
Jim Easterbrook
2020-07-25 16:27:41 UTC
(On a vaguely related subject, I get very irritated by those campaigning
against "chlorinated chicken"; it's not the chlorination itself which is
bad, it's IMO a _good_ thing, it's the fact that it can be used to hide
shoddy earlier processes. But no, it's something we don't do, so
therefore must be in itself bad. Xenophobia masquerading as [poor]
science.)
I think you're ascribing quite the wrong motives to those of us who
object to it. However "chlorinated chicken" is a simpler phrase than
"chicken raised in such cruelly insanitary conditions that it needs to be
disinfected to make it safer to eat". Most US states do not have laws
against animal cruelty in agriculture. Those that do find their
"farms" (i.e. massive industrial scale food factories) relocate to other
states.
2020-07-25 16:41:30 UTC
On 25 Jul 2020 16:27:41 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(On a vaguely related subject, I get very irritated by those campaigning
against "chlorinated chicken"; it's not the chlorination itself which is
bad, it's IMO a _good_ thing, it's the fact that it can be used to hide
shoddy earlier processes. But no, it's something we don't do, so
therefore must be in itself bad. Xenophobia masquerading as [poor]
science.)
I think you're ascribing quite the wrong motives to those of us who
object to it. However "chlorinated chicken" is a simpler phrase than
"chicken raised in such cruelly insanitary conditions that it needs to be
disinfected to make it safer to eat". Most US states do not have laws
against animal cruelty in agriculture. Those that do find their
"farms" (i.e. massive industrial scale food factories) relocate to other
states.
Chlorinated Chicken???? Nah. Fake Nooose.

Everybody knows most factories now prefer to use an acid bath instead.

2020-07-25 16:59:44 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(On a vaguely related subject, I get very irritated by those campaigning
against "chlorinated chicken"; it's not the chlorination itself which is
bad, it's IMO a _good_ thing, it's the fact that it can be used to hide
shoddy earlier processes. But no, it's something we don't do, so
therefore must be in itself bad. Xenophobia masquerading as [poor]
science.)
I think you're ascribing quite the wrong motives to those of us who
object to it. However "chlorinated chicken" is a simpler phrase than
"chicken raised in such cruelly insanitary conditions that it needs to be
disinfected to make it safer to eat". Most US states do not have laws
against animal cruelty in agriculture. Those that do find their
"farms" (i.e. massive industrial scale food factories) relocate to other
states.
_Some_ are, like yourself, intelligent and know that the chlorination is
mainly used to hide disgusting procedures earlier in the production
process - and I _see_ your point about the handy phrase.

Unfortunately, using that phrase in that way leads others to think the
process in itself is bad - and also, since it's something we don't
currently do*, it's also handy for the xenophobes.

*Would they eschew _British_ (or European) chickens, should the
manufacturers add chlorination, on top of their already _acceptable_
processes? I'm pretty sure they would. (It won't happen - _because_ of
the hostility already generated, no UK or EU producer will start it -
and if they're already doing it, are being quiet and looking for
alternatives.)

I just hate it when something about which people don't know is misused -
often for nefarious purposes. Like the "paed-" prefix, which, at the
height of _that_ paranoia, _did_ cause some problems for at least one
children's doctor.
Post by Nick Odell
Chlorinated Chicken???? Nah. Fake Nooose.
Everybody knows most factories now prefer to use an acid bath instead.
So it's not even used? What a surprise.
John

"I've got this shocking pain right behind the eyes."
"Have you considered amputation?" - Vila & Avon
Jim Easterbrook
2020-07-25 18:56:22 UTC
*Would they eschew _British_ (or European) chickens, should the
manufacturers add chlorination, on top of their already _acceptable_
processes?
I would, because it's entirely unnecessary, a pointless expense, and
certainly won't improve the flavour of the meat.
Anne B
2020-07-27 08:54:39 UTC
(On a vaguely related subject, I get very irritated by those campaigning
against "chlorinated chicken"; it's not the chlorination itself which is
bad, it's IMO a _good_ thing, it's the fact that it can be used to hide
shoddy earlier processes. But no, it's something we don't do, so
therefore must be in itself bad. Xenophobia masquerading as [poor]
science.)
I think 'chlorinated chicken' has become a sort of shorthand for 'food
produced to lower standards than is currently allowed and which also
involves the use of practices/drugs/pesticides/treatments that are
currently banned in the UK'.

Obviously a chicken raised in unsanitary conditions is safer washed with
chlorine than without such washing, but it should never have needed
chlorine washing in the first place.

Anne B
Vicky Ayech
2020-07-25 17:06:54 UTC
[...]
What did you catch?
The last day I saw small granddaughter before lockdown I took her to
her swimming lesson in a public pool. A crowd of 5 yr olds allchanging
in one small space felt very germ-ridden.
Penny
2020-07-25 22:05:11 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:06:54 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Hm, all public pools have chlorine. It has never stopped me 'catching
something' from visits to a public pool.
What did you catch?
Gosh, it's been years... a chest infection, a cold, a sore throat. I don't
recall but I rarely catch anything which bothers me much so it seemed
reasonable to blame it on visits to the pool.
2020-07-26 08:06:39 UTC
Hm, all public pools have chlorine. It has never stopped me 'catching
something' from visits to a public pool.
What did you catch?
Gosh, it's been years... a chest infection, a cold, a sore throat. I don't
recall but I rarely catch anything which bothers me much so it seemed
reasonable to blame it on visits to the pool.
I caught things from grandkids, especially during their first years at
school and nursery. I think I got more from them than swimming. Today
2 people in the pool when I went and they left after 5 minutes, then
another got in near the end of my swim.
Penny
2020-07-26 08:15:03 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:06:39 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Hm, all public pools have chlorine. It has never stopped me 'catching
something' from visits to a public pool.
What did you catch?
Gosh, it's been years... a chest infection, a cold, a sore throat. I don't
recall but I rarely catch anything which bothers me much so it seemed
reasonable to blame it on visits to the pool.
I caught things from grandkids, especially during their first years at
school and nursery. I think I got more from them than swimming. Today
2 people in the pool when I went and they left after 5 minutes, then
another got in near the end of my swim.
I rarely see my grandchildren but have also caught things from them. So
maybe it's just my antisocial lifestyle which keeps me healthy ;)
John Finlay
2020-07-25 12:40:12 UTC
Distributing Covid-19 tests in Leicester.
Mike
2020-07-25 13:06:32 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by Mike
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
Distributing Covid-19 tests in Leicester.
Your announcement might go viral now!
2020-07-25 13:43:50 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
I have discovered that the BBC have brief summaries of daily episodes
going back to 2007 but that something has gone wrong with their indexing
program so they are not sequential. I suspect the failure relates to
re-using old episodes but I might well be wrong.

Otherwise I spent much of the morning reading the papers and doing
sudoku which is pretty normal for a Saturday (or Sunday) when I rarely
go near the PC box.
Joe Kerr
2020-07-25 14:29:01 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
I'm just sitting here staring into space with my eyes shut wishing this
migraine would go away. The excitement of housework comes later.
Ric
Penny
2020-07-25 16:16:58 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:29:01 +0100, Joe Kerr <***@cheerful.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Mike
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
I'm just sitting here staring into space with my eyes shut wishing this
migraine would go away.
That's a good trick (and good touch typing too, presumably).
Have a magnet.
Joe Kerr
2020-07-25 18:16:19 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Mike
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
I'm just sitting here staring into space with my eyes shut wishing this
migraine would go away.
That's a good trick (and good touch typing too, presumably).
A man of many talents, me.
Post by Penny
Have a magnet.
Thanks.
Ric
Nick Odell
2020-07-25 15:58:46 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
My opinion, wot is mine, is that there is an inverse relationship
between the freedom from quarantine and the volume of umra posting.
Just wait for the second wave: umra will be swamped with messages once
again.

2020-07-25 16:15:43 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 12:58:46, Nick Odell
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
My opinion, wot is mine, is that there is an inverse relationship
between the freedom from quarantine and the volume of umra posting.
Just wait for the second wave: umra will be swamped with messages once
again.
Nick
The second wave is IMO on us - or, at least, the fall in statistics has
stopped:

o Latest daily CV death figure highest for 10 days. (OK, the figures
_are_ low now, so noise will have more of an effect.)
o Total _in_ hospital (not daily admission, which of course does swing a
lot) up a whopping 8% in a day. (Yes, it's a low figure so again
susceptible to noise.)
o Total (not new) on ventilators up. (Only by 1.)

I _hope_ I'm wrong and it _is_ just a random noise effect.

(I'm also still waiting for a better morbidity figure; at present it
looks like if you have a positive test it's a 1 in 7 chance [which is
frightening!] and has been for weeks if not months, but that's probably
because on the whole they're still mostly only testing the suspected-ill
anyway; we need much wider, and randomer [is that a word?], testing.)

Nick Odell
2020-07-25 16:43:58 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 17:15:43 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
IAN in any way connected with any dictionaries but might you be mixing
up morbidity with mortality?

2020-07-25 17:01:38 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 13:43:58, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 17:15:43 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
(I'm also still waiting for a better morbidity figure; at present it
looks like if you have a positive test it's a 1 in 7 chance [which is
frightening!] and has been for weeks if not months, but that's probably
because on the whole they're still mostly only testing the suspected-ill
anyway; we need much wider, and randomer [is that a word?], testing.)
IAN in any way connected with any dictionaries but might you be mixing
up morbidity with mortality?
I think you're right.

(Still want a more accurate - and reassuring! - figure for it, though,
whatever it's called!)

Anne B
2020-07-27 09:00:03 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(I'm also still waiting for a better morbidity figure; at present it
looks like if you have a positive test it's a 1 in 7 chance [which is
frightening!] and has been for weeks if not months, but that's probably
because on the whole they're still mostly only testing the suspected-ill
anyway; we need much wider, and randomer [is that a word?], testing.)
IAN in any way connected with any dictionaries but might you be mixing
up morbidity with mortality?
Nick
I don't think he is.

Mortality is the rate of death from all causes as a proportion of the
population.

Morbidity is the rate of death among sufferers from a specified disease.

At least that is how I would construe it.

Anne B
Serena Blanchflower
2020-07-27 09:11:53 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(I'm also still waiting for a better morbidity figure; at present it
looks like if you have a positive test it's a 1 in 7 chance [which is
frightening!] and has been for weeks if not months, but that's probably
because on the whole they're still mostly only testing the suspected-ill
anyway; we need much wider, and randomer [is that a word?], testing.)
IAN in any way connected with any dictionaries but might you be mixing
up morbidity with mortality?
Nick
I don't think he is.
Mortality is the rate of death from all causes as a proportion of the
population.
Morbidity is the rate of death among sufferers from a specified disease.
At least that is how I would construe it.
No, Nick was right, mortality is the death rate, while morbidity is the
level of disease (whether qualitatively or quantitively).

<https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/morbidity>
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist,
but you have ceased to live.
(Mark Twain)
Anne B
2020-07-26 17:00:10 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
I didn't go anywhere on Saturday because every time I thought it might
be a good idea to go somewhere I looked out to see it raining hale
watter and I didn't want to get drookit.

Anne B
BrritSki
2020-07-27 09:37:03 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
We were on the beach in Liguria, a friend from Antibes came over and
then we had lunch together. In the afternoon we drove to Milan and
stayed in a very nice Agriturismo in an ecological reserve [1]. That
night we went for a meal - an excellent fillet steak with porcini for me
and elephant ears for waife. Really, that was what was on the menu and
it did look one - a lovely veal chop beaten to be thin but very big and
then cooled (appropriately) al Milanese.

Having praised my TomTom recently it got us totally lost trying to find
this hotel, mainly beacuse it had the location completely wrong. It was
indeed down a narrow dirt track, but not the one it sent us down. After
driving round for a bit and asking several walkers, cyclists and
motorists, one of the motorbikers we'd asked found us again and said
"I've found it, follow me" and took us straight to it - what a nice man.

TomTom was fine apart from that. Drive was mostly good apart from queue
at Mont-Blank Tunnel on the way out, accompanied by two more Elly
Griffiths Ruth Galloway books. Roads were busier than expected. Everyone
wearing masks in France at the motorway stops. Italy too, but people
were fairly relaxed. We saw lots of our old friends but always outside,
in the open air, as were all our meals. Most of our time spent on the
beach which was well spread out - round the headland in Arma the much
busier beaches had 3m squares demarcated with poles and rope that was
put to good use for volleyball and supporting awnings :)

Weather was lovely apart from 1 afternoon when we had to go shopping
anyway for local oil and (look away now KRW) 95% alcohol for use in
making cherrycello etc.

A great holiday that we really needed.

[1] the downside of this was that there was a huge population of flies
and mozzies which accompanied us on our 1km walk to the restau despite
being drenched in anti-moz spray.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-08-02 18:07:55 UTC
Most Umrats seem to go away to do silly, inconsequential things like
housework, family, shopping, sports, hobbies and the like on Saturdays;
c’mon, prove me wrong today!
Housework? What is this 'housework' of which you speak?

///power.congratulations.love
Mike