Hadenuff now
2020-06-11 13:12:20 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
2020-06-11 14:20:56 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
On the whole, I'm quite enjoying the new format. Some episodes work
better than others but I did like the recent ones, with Helen, Natasha
and Tom.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
(Mark Twain)
Sarah Kate
2020-06-11 14:52:21 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
On the whole, I'm quite enjoying the new format. Some episodes work
better than others but I did like the recent ones, with Helen, Natasha
and Tom.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest
(Mark Twain)
I found the first week slightly hard work, but I thought last week (Susan, Ben, and the Coffee Table of Grimness) was thoroughly enjoyable and made me laugh out loud. Which might just have been a result of too much lockdown, admittedly.

(I'm mostly an omnibusser, more out of habit than convenience (particularly atm). So I haven't heard anything this week so far.)
Mike
2020-06-11 16:25:33 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Are you a new poster to UMRA Sarah Kate? If so welcome, if you aren’t - you
probably don’t post often enough!
That’s Mr McToodles aka McT
Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-11 20:01:58 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Mike
Post by Sarah Kate
(I'm mostly an omnibusser, more out of habit than convenience
(particularly atm). So I haven't heard anything this week so far.)
Are you a new poster to UMRA Sarah Kate? If so welcome, if you aren’t - you
probably don’t post often enough!
[]
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Now you've emerged, don't go away again! Welcome (back) from me too.

A man is accepted into church for what he believes--and turned out for what he
knows. -Mark Twain (quoted by Mark Lloyd in Windows newsgroups, 2019-9-18)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-06-11 20:46:48 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
I hope you stick around and post more often!
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.
Vicky Ayech
Yes, new sources of posts are welcome.
Sam Plusnet
2020-06-11 23:13:14 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Welcome to the Hotel California....

Sorry sorry, that should be Welcome to UMRA - don't know what came over
me there.
2020-06-12 07:36:24 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Mike
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Having ‘come out’ so to speak, you are no longer a lurker of any kind! Post
early, post often.
2020-06-12 10:55:13 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Post by Mike
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Well you can’t go back now!

2020-06-12 17:33:30 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah. Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw. :o)
2020-06-12 17:43:32 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah. Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw. :o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
Just show her the chocolate bunker.
steveski
2020-06-12 23:37:27 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah. Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1

For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent

HTH HAND
2020-06-13 11:41:57 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah. Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
2020-06-13 17:44:28 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...

2020-06-13 20:43:18 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
Earworm alert!!!!
Nick
Too late!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. -Ellen Glasgow,
novelist (1874-1945)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-13 21:01:35 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 18:44:28 +0100, Sid Nuncius
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
Earworm alert!!!!
Nick
Too late!
When I get an earworm (that I don't have already), I often hit YouTube.
My first thought was, "only on YouTube would I find Max Bygraves next to
the Sex Pistols." Then I thought I'd listen to the latter, or just a few
seconds of it, expecting something disrespectful that I'd hate.

I was most surprised; it's a perfectly acceptable, straight, rendering!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=you+need+hands

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. -Ellen Glasgow,
novelist (1874-1945)
John Ashby
2020-06-13 18:59:58 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
Let me tell you a stooooory...

2020-06-13 20:59:42 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...

(well, one hand)
2020-06-13 21:16:31 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to
show that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...
(well, one hand)
Were you by Churchill's statue this afternoon, Sam?

2020-06-14 21:38:05 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to
show that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...
(well, one hand)
Were you by Churchill's statue this afternoon, Sam?
"Did you see this man, who the police are seeking to interview..."

If I have ever been near any such statue, I cannot now recall.
2020-06-15 07:43:31 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated
lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to
show that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...
(well, one hand)
Were you by Churchill's statue this afternoon, Sam?
"Did you see this man, who the police are seeking to interview..."
If I have ever been near any such statue, I cannot now recall.
Never, have so few, been seen by so many...
2020-06-15 21:51:32 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
I refuse to be a stool pigeon.
2020-06-14 07:48:00 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...
(well, one hand)
Everything can be digitised these days...
2020-06-14 14:09:08 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
Not a new member, but this is only my second post! I'm a dedicated lurker...!
Very nice to hear from you, Sarah.  Re-lurking is frowned upon, btw.
:o)
‘Re-lurking’? Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, Does
not.....
For Unix/Linux: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512  count=1
For Windo$e: C:\WINDOWS /silent
HTH HAND
Will you stop bringing hands into everything.
But you need hands to hold someone you care for, you need hands to show
that you're sincere...
You need hands to make a certain gesture...
(well, one hand)
Everything can be digitised these days...
I sometimes suggest that some digital extraction is needed!

Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?
Chris McMillan
2020-06-11 16:56:26 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Welcome to the world of umra Sarah Kate.

Sincerely Chris (aka Mrs McT)
SODAM
2020-06-20 09:12:01 UTC
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Ooh! A new name! Come in, Sarah Kate, and sit here at the delurkers virtual
table at The Bull.
What would you like to drink virtually? Pint of Shires? Scruff and tonic?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Chris McMillan
2020-06-20 15:08:30 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
SODAM will open the choccie bunker if you’re a chocaholic too.

I’ve sent you an email, SODSM, yesterday.

2020-06-20 15:26:10 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Waddya mean? ‘If you’re a chocoholic???!!!
2020-06-20 17:21:07 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Some people would like to partake but it dun’t agree wiv ‘em.

2020-06-20 17:25:28 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sarah Kate
[...]
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
SODAM
2020-06-20 23:28:33 UTC
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
[chocolate]
Mike, tell your sister I’ll eat her share to spare her the pain.
Mike
2020-06-21 07:55:33 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
[chocolate]
Mike, tell your sister I’ll eat her share to spare her the pain.
:-))) Get in the queue Sodam, get in the queue!
2020-06-21 08:11:09 UTC
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
[chocolate]
Mike, tell your sister I’ll eat her share to spare her the pain.
It's funny, I've cut chocolate out except post-weigh-in on Wednesdays
and even then I'm not that botehred. I can't have gone off chocolate,
can I?? But bread and pastry and cakes are still very important and I
love those.
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-21 08:28:04 UTC
It's funny, I've cut chocolate out except post-weigh-in on Wednesdays
and even then I'm not that botehred. I can't have gone off chocolate,
can I?? But bread and pastry and cakes are still very important and I
love those.
You remind me of when I attended Slim-U in the village where I used to
live. After the session finished most of us piled straight into the
baker's shop - a proper old-fashioned shop where Mr Albion made
everything on the premises.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-21 08:32:57 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 09:28:04 +0100, Jenny M Benson
It's funny, I've cut chocolate out except post-weigh-in on Wednesdays
and even then I'm not that botehred. I can't have gone off chocolate,
can I?? But bread and pastry and cakes are still very important and I
love those.
You remind me of when I attended Slim-U in the village where I used to
live. After the session finished most of us piled straight into the
baker's shop - a proper old-fashioned shop where Mr Albion made
everything on the premises.
When I had 2 toddlers and got a bad back my mum stood me a long
weekend at Champneys, a health farm. I was on light diet programme.
Only a glass of lemmon juice for breakfast and ..I think lunch, and
then a healthy supper. We queued for the nuggering juice. But
Champneys is close to the little town of Tring, with a cake shop.
Mike Ruddock
2020-06-21 10:18:55 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
[chocolate]
Mike, tell your sister I’ll eat her share to spare her the pain.
It's funny, I've cut chocolate out except post-weigh-in on Wednesdays
and even then I'm not that botehred. I can't have gone off chocolate,
can I?? But bread and pastry and cakes are still very important and I
love those.
Not really relevant, but one Lent I cut out chocolate entirely (even
food items which happened to have some chocolate in). At the end of 40 +
days Easter arrived and there was chocolate aplenty, but I didn't really
feel like eating any.

Of course I forced myself . . .

Mike Ruddock
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-21 10:53:22 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:18:55 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Yes, it causes one of my sisters to get very bad migraines.
[chocolate]
Mike, tell your sister I’ll eat her share to spare her the pain.
It's funny, I've cut chocolate out except post-weigh-in on Wednesdays
and even then I'm not that botehred. I can't have gone off chocolate,
can I?? But bread and pastry and cakes are still very important and I
love those.
Not really relevant, but one Lent I cut out chocolate entirely (even
food items which happened to have some chocolate in). At the end of 40 +
days Easter arrived and there was chocolate aplenty, but I didn't really
feel like eating any.
Of course I forced myself . . .
Mike Ruddock
I wonder if that is it! I did a thing in March, sponsored no chocolate
for a month. Not any food with chocolate in them either. I was very
keen on chocolate before that. Might it be sort of like addiction and
you can kick it if you go cold turkey?
Serena Blanchflower
2020-06-21 11:27:21 UTC
I wonder if that is it! I did a thing in March, sponsored no chocolate
for a month. Not any food with chocolate in them either. I was very
keen on chocolate before that. Might it be sort of like addiction and
you can kick it if you go cold turkey?
I think there's a lot of evidence that it is and that you can. For a
lot of people it seems to be the sugar in the chocs which is the
addictive substance but there may well be other triggers for other people.
Never say "OOPS!" always say "Ah, Interesting!"
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-21 16:23:50 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 12:27:21, Serena Blanchflower
I wonder if that is it! I did a thing in March, sponsored no chocolate
for a month. Not any food with chocolate in them either. I was very
keen on chocolate before that. Might it be sort of like addiction and
you can kick it if you go cold turkey?
What else can this principle be applied to - social media (even UMRA)?
TA itself?

Tinfoil-hat enthusiasts may be wondering if (only some of!) TPTB are
hoping for that, so they can finally axe TA ...
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I think there's a lot of evidence that it is and that you can. For a
lot of people it seems to be the sugar in the chocs which is the
addictive substance but there may well be other triggers for other people.

... basically it's another language and unless you've studied it, it's
difficult to grasp. I know people get outraged at me saying it, but it's only
my opinion. I'm not telling people who adore Shakespeare to stop adoring it
this minute. - Jane Horrocks, in Radio Times 30 July - 5 August 2011
Mike
2020-06-21 12:32:54 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Turkey with a chocolate pouring sauce?
Sarah Kate
Since Shires seems to be the only ale available, definitely a pint of that. And a bag of crisps, thanks!
Chris McMillan
2020-06-11 16:56:25 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
On the whole, I'm quite enjoying the new format. Some episodes work
better than others but I did like the recent ones, with Helen, Natasha
and Tom.
Helen’s makes sense knowing it reflects what we know. Today’s explains
Natasha, but she still doesn’t warm to me.

2020-06-11 20:57:30 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 15:20:56 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
On the whole, I'm quite enjoying the new format. Some episodes work
better than others but I did like the recent ones, with Helen, Natasha
and Tom.
I didn't like Natrasha or Tom or Helen :). Emma was ok and Ben was.
Josh better than David.
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-11 21:30:48 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 15:20:56 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
On the whole, I'm quite enjoying the new format. Some episodes work
better than others but I did like the recent ones, with Helen, Natasha
and Tom.
Well tonight was much better. Helen was fine, Tony again good and
except for Tom I quite enjoyed it :). Lots of news.
Clive Arthur
2020-06-11 14:50:34 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
I stopped listening when the repeats started. I tried a few minutes of
the new format and realised that this was what was meant by an 'induced
coma'.

Barwick Green now lasts only a couple of bars.
--
Cheers
Clive
Nick Odell
2020-06-19 19:31:19 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 15:50:34 +0100, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
I stopped listening when the repeats started. I tried a few minutes of
the new format and realised that this was what was meant by an 'induced
coma'.
Barwick Green now lasts only a couple of bars.
I have just completed listening to the three, new-style omnibus
editions put out so far. It was hard work. I think the concept is a
good one but I am sorry to say that I think the writers are out of
their depth - although I probably should place some or even most of
the blame on editor for not taking sufficient charge of their
direction.

The monologue format is known to work - there have been several
excellent afternoon plays using that approach - and Mike Walker with
Anneka Stranded and Alan Bennett with Talking Heads are stand-out
examples of what can be done. But I just do not think the current team
have got it.

2020-06-19 16:40:08 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
[...]
It may be that they have been looking for problems rather than solutions.
2020-06-19 21:47:47 UTC
On 19-Jun-20 20:31, Nick Odell wrote:

<Shameless snipping>
Post by Nick Odell
The monologue format is known to work - there have been several
excellent afternoon plays using that approach - and Mike Walker with
Anneka Stranded and Alan Bennett with Talking Heads are stand-out
examples of what can be done. But I just do not think the current team
have got it.
Simple things are often the hardest to do well, & making something seem
effortless can be boodly hard work.
2020-06-20 08:37:41 UTC
<Shameless snipping>
Post by Nick Odell
The monologue format is known to work - there have been several
excellent afternoon plays using that approach - and Mike Walker with
Anneka Stranded and Alan Bennett with Talking Heads are stand-out
examples of what can be done. But I just do not think the current team
have got it.
Simple things are often the hardest to do well, & making something seem
effortless can be boodly hard work.
I have never heard Anneka Stranded, but the Bennet things work because
(apart from being brilliantly written) the head is talking to us, the
viewer.

Long internal monologues just are not believable, esp. when they're
interspersed with lots of chuckles a la Lillian. It just sounds like
they are going quietly mad. Maybe they are...
SODAM
2020-06-20 09:03:23 UTC
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
YANAOU. We could do with jollier episodes. I’ve tried three of the new
formats and they were all internal whining and insecurities. Stopped
listening, while we wait for normal episodes to return.
Penny
2020-06-20 09:17:51 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 10:03:23 +0100, SODAM <***@talktalk.net> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
These monologues which seem to be mainly carping have got to me and I’m not
fussed about listening at present. Will have to wait for proper TA days I
suppose.
YANAOU. We could do with jollier episodes. I’ve tried three of the new
formats and they were all internal whining and insecurities. Stopped
listening, while we wait for normal episodes to return.
You missed Susan's debut on the radio show then?
SODAM
2020-06-20 23:28:32 UTC
the dust...
Post by SODAM
YANAOU. We could do with jollier episodes. I’ve tried three of the new
formats and they were all internal whining and insecurities. Stopped
listening, while we wait for normal episodes to return.
You missed Susan's debut on the radio show then?
No. I heard her swigging from a bottle of duty free whilst starring on the
wireless in the Soozan Carter Spectacular. It didn’t strike me as being at
all in character. That must have been the last I heard all the way
through.
Previously, I have listened at 19.02 and made sure to be at home or within
earshot of a radio. It seemed less urgent lately, and what I happen to have
caught was miserablist navel-gazing and couldn’t hold my attention. At
least Susan’s episode, even if implausible, was attempting humour and had a
thread of plot in it.