Comp prob
Peter
2021-08-06 20:57:18 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable. Any suggestions?
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Sjouke Burry
2021-08-06 22:38:34 UTC
Post by Peter
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable. Any suggestions?
Check whether the Fan cooling the processor is working.
Slowdown happens when the processor gets hot.
Peter
2021-08-06 22:47:17 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
Check whether the Fan cooling the processor is working.
Slowdown happens when the processor gets hot.
Thank you. I can hear it humming.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-07 01:05:39 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Sjouke Burry
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
A _little_ more detail wouldn't come amiss! Desktop? Laptop? Presumably
Windows 10. Had this happened suddenly, or gradually over the last few
days/weeks?
Post by Peter
Post by Sjouke Burry
Check whether the Fan cooling the processor is working.
Slowdown happens when the processor gets hot.
Thank you. I can hear it humming.
(That's because it doesn't know the words.)

Can you detect actual air movement around it? (If a laptop, is there a
reasonable amount of air coming out of the vent, and does it feel warm?)

Check your CPU temperatures - SpeedFan or CoreTemp
(https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6979-core-temp.html) will do that.

The best things in life aren't things. - Bear Grylls (RT 2015/2/14-20)
krw
2021-08-06 23:02:31 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
I am assuming Windows 10 and that the software is up to date. First up
a complete reboot.

Task Manager - see if anything is eating 100% CPU or memory.

What is the size of boot disk? Whilst you can get away with less a
256GB SSD is probably good; if you have 128Gb then it is likely the swap
files are being compromised, WinDirStat (run as administrator) is useful
and quite often "Unknown" needs sorting - lots of help online.

If you only have 4Gb of system memory Win10 will run - but slowly 8Gb is
better and I have been running 16Gb on both this machine and the
previous one - so over 8 years.

How old is the machine - my last one lasted 7 years but was unstable for
the last few months and it was a race against time (ie when I could
afford the replacement).
Peter
2021-08-07 07:32:24 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
I am assuming Windows 10 and that the software is up to date.  First up
a complete reboot.
Task Manager - see if anything is eating 100% CPU or memory.
What is the size of boot disk?  Whilst you can get away with less a
256GB SSD is probably good; if you have 128Gb then it is likely the swap
files are being compromised, WinDirStat (run as administrator) is useful
and quite often "Unknown" needs sorting - lots of help online.
If you only have 4Gb of system memory Win10 will run - but slowly 8Gb is
better and I have been running 16Gb on both this machine and the
previous one - so over 8 years.
How old is the machine - my last one lasted 7 years but was unstable for
the last few months and it was a race against time (ie when I could
afford the replacement).
I know age slows people down. I do not see how it can slow machines down.
Clive Arthur
2021-08-07 10:32:34 UTC
On 07/08/2021 08:32, Peter wrote:

<snip>
I know age slows people down.  I do not see how it can slow machines down.
Related to the fan issue - the heatsink compound which helps to transfer
heat from the processor to the heatsink can dry out with age and become
less effective. But then don't we all.

I have a laptop which I use rarely, only for client visits really and
there haven't been any of those for a while. The day before I need to
use it, I turn it on and let it do all its update stuff. Trying to use
it while it's doing that is much as you describe.
--
Cheers
Clive
Mike McMillan
2021-08-07 11:23:04 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
I know age slows people down.  I do not see how it can slow machines down.
Related to the fan issue - the heatsink compound which helps to transfer
heat from the processor to the heatsink can dry out with age and become
less effective. But then don't we all.
I have a laptop which I use rarely, only for client visits really and
there haven't been any of those for a while. The day before I need to
use it, I turn it on and let it do all its update stuff. Trying to use
it while it's doing that is much as you describe.
Re: the heatsink compound, if that is the problem, you can buy tubes of
same and apply after cleaning the mating surfaces well.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Joe Kerr
2021-08-07 12:25:29 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
I am assuming Windows 10 and that the software is up to date.  First up
a complete reboot.
Task Manager - see if anything is eating 100% CPU or memory.
Or disk usage. I got bitten by what I think was a bad Win 10 update late
last year that pushed disk access to 100% and brought the machine to an
almost total standstill.
Ric
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2021-08-07 05:17:01 UTC
*Date:* Fri, 6 Aug 2021 21:57:18 +0100
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming Windows 10.

Is it always slow or just at start up? Does it become OK if you leave it
alone for 10 minutes?

I have found W10 runs a service named WaaSMedicAgent.exe that consumes
100% of the disc for several minutes and that stops anything else doing
anything useful. It is part of the Windows Update system and is checking
that all updates are installed properly. It is supposed to run while
you're not using the PC but will start immediately at start up if the PC
has been turned off for a while (e.g. overnight).

Windows Defender (if you are using the built-in anti-virus rather than a
third party program) will regularly run a virus scan (a process named
MsMpEng.exe) that also uses large amounts of disc IO and CPU and slows
things down.

There's also Windows Update itself that slows things down a bit during
download and install (usually on the first Tuesday of the month - or the
day after since we are half a day behind the US).

The best way to find out what's happening is Task Manager > Performance
tab, which will show the resource consumption, then use the Resource
Manager link to find which processes are using it.

Steph.
Peter
2021-08-07 09:46:37 UTC
*Date:* Fri, 6 Aug 2021 21:57:18 +0100
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming Windows 10.
Is it always slow or just at start up? Does it become OK if you leave it
alone for 10 minutes?
It becomes slow. Yesterday, at around the time I first posted, I could
type three characters into a web-based discussion forum and I then had
to wait for the little blue circle to go away. Fourth, fifth,...
characters were just lost.
Vicky Ayech
Ah..memories. The internet (pre WWW) used to be like that
Peter
2021-08-07 12:55:07 UTC
Post by Peter
It becomes slow. Yesterday, at around the time I first posted, I could
type three characters into a web-based discussion forum and I then had
to wait for the little blue circle to go away. Fourth, fifth,...
characters were just lost.
Ah..memories. The internet (pre WWW) used to be like that
In the Percival household, it still is!
Sam Plusnet
2021-08-07 16:27:32 UTC
Post by Peter
It becomes slow. Yesterday, at around the time I first posted, I could
type three characters into a web-based discussion forum and I then had
to wait for the little blue circle to go away. Fourth, fifth,...
characters were just lost.
Ah..memories. The internet (pre WWW) used to be like that
Perhaps his PC is unhappy about being used for trollery?
2021-08-07 16:20:12 UTC
On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 10:46:37, Peter <***@hotmail.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Peter
It becomes slow. Yesterday, at around the time I first posted, I could
type three characters into a web-based discussion forum and I then had
to wait for the little blue circle to go away. Fourth, fifth,...
characters were just lost.
[]
Is it _only_ online things - does it behave similarly if you're typing
into, say, Notepad? How about Google's search box?

If it's only that forum, then I guess the problem is not at your end and
there's nothing you can do about it. If it's all online activity but
local is OK, then maybe something is eating your bandwidth - there are
many monitors; I use BitMeter2
from http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2 (the [optional!] audio
indicator is very good for alerting you to _unexpected_ up- or
downloading going on, but is best turned off if you share a room with
anyone as they'll complain otherwise!).

If even Notepad gives the above effect, then we'll have to look
elsewhere.

1. If it's green, it's biology
2. If it smells, it's chemistry
3. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
Peter
2021-08-07 16:27:10 UTC
[...]
Internewt gubbins only. I took to composing my posts using TextPad and
copying them to the forum. The use of Textpad was normal.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-07 18:52:19 UTC
Post by Peter
Internewt gubbins only. I took to composing my posts using TextPad and
copying them to the forum. The use of Textpad was normal.
If it's only online things (your use of TextPad being OK suggests it
is), but all online things (e. g. a Google search box), then either your
link is failing, or something's hogging your bandwidth. Try some of the
speed test sites to see if your link is what it should be, and try
BitMeter2 to see if there's spurious activity on your link. If there
isn't, but the link speed is slow, call your ISP; if there is, find
_what_ it is (if only by killing things in Task Manager; this will
highly likely break your system, but only until you reboot. and
hopefully one of your attempts will highlight the offending process).

What Windows? In 7 (so probably later; not sure about earlier) the
Resource Monitor (button in the Performance tab of Task Manager) can
show you which processes are using the network.

Practicall every British actor with a bus pass is in there ...
Barry Norman (on "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" [2011]), RT 2015/12/12-18
Peter
2021-08-07 20:52:14 UTC
[...]
10
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In 7 (so probably later; not sure about earlier) the
Resource Monitor
Called "App history", I think.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(button in the Performance tab of Task Manager) can
show you which processes are using the network.
Thank you.
DavidK
2021-08-08 09:19:54 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(button in the Performance tab of Task Manager) can show you which
processes are using the network.
Thank you.
Peter is using SeaMonkey. I don't know about that but if it were Firefox
I would ask how much memory the machine has and whether the monitor is
showing any paging. I use Firefox and since a few versions ago I have a
big problem with it slowly grabbing more and more memory until it has to
be killed and restarted.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-08 12:21:35 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Peter
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Internewt gubbins only.  I took to composing my posts using TextPad
and copying them to the forum.  The use of Textpad was normal.
[]
Post by DavidK
Post by Peter
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
What Windows?
10
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(button in the Performance tab of Task Manager) can show you which
processes are using the network.
Thank you.
Did you find anything _was_ hogging your bandwidth?
Did BitMeter2 show activity when you thought there shouldn't be any?
Did you try any of the speedtest sites?
Post by DavidK
Peter is using SeaMonkey. I don't know about that but if it were
Firefox I would ask how much memory the machine has and whether the
monitor is showing any paging. I use Firefox and since a few versions
ago I have a big problem with it slowly grabbing more and more memory
until it has to be killed and restarted.
That's been a problem with browsers off and on for years (especially
when they visit certain web pages). [Occasionally other software types
too, but browsers mostly.]

Does stopping your browser (waiting until it has stopped completely, as
shown in task manager) and then restarting it, cure the problem?

How about a different browser?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the
presence of those who think they've found it. TERRY PRATCHETT
Peter
2021-08-08 12:29:15 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Internewt gubbins only.  I took to composing my posts using TextPad
and copying them to the forum.  The use of Textpad was normal.
[]
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
What Windows?
 10
Post by DavidK
Peter is using SeaMonkey. I don't know about that but if it were
Firefox I would ask how much memory the machine has and whether the
monitor is showing any paging. I use Firefox and since a few versions
ago I have a big problem with it slowly grabbing more and more memory
until it has to be killed and restarted.
That's been a problem with browsers off and on for years (especially
when they visit certain web pages). [Occasionally other software types
too, but browsers mostly.]
Does stopping your browser (waiting until it has stopped completely, as
shown in task manager) and then restarting it, cure the problem?
Going to bed (I mean me going to bed) cures it. Then, the next evening
it gets bad again.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
How about a different browser?
I'll try FireFox this evening.
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2021-08-08 07:01:43 UTC
*Date:* Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:27:10 +0100
Internewt gubbins only. I took to composing my posts using TextPad
and copying them to the forum. The use of Textpad was normal.
Typing into a text box is a local process and shouldn't need any on-line
activity. It is possible that slow broadband might have an effect if the
page is still loading (wizzy in tab or messages in bottom left) but that
would last only a few minutes at worst.

I strongly suspect your browser is at fault (you didn't say which one you
use). You could try one of the others if you have them installed (Edge,
Firefox, Chrome, Brave etc.)

Generally it's addons that cause browser issues. Try starting the browser
in protected mode with all addons disabled. If that gets the speed back
then enable the addons one at a time until it stops again - that is the
culprit.

Steph.
Peter
2021-08-08 07:53:22 UTC
*Date:* Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:27:10 +0100
Internewt gubbins only. I took to composing my posts using TextPad
and copying them to the forum. The use of Textpad was normal.
Typing into a text box is a local process and shouldn't need any on-line
activity. It is possible that slow broadband might have an effect if the
page is still loading (wizzy in tab or messages in bottom left) but that
would last only a few minutes at worst.
I strongly suspect your browser is at fault (you didn't say which one you
use
SeaMonkey.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
). You could try one of the others if you have them installed (Edge,
Firefox, Chrome, Brave etc.)
Generally it's addons that cause browser issues. Try starting the browser
in protected mode with all addons disabled. If that gets the speed back
then enable the addons one at a time until it stops again - that is the
culprit.
It gets worse as the hour grows late. Yesterday things started working
normally, but late in the evening it was slow as on the previous day.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Steph.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-08 12:40:40 UTC
*Date:* Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:27:10 +0100
Internewt gubbins only. I took to composing my posts using TextPad
and copying them to the forum. The use of Textpad was normal.
Typing into a text box is a local process and shouldn't need any on-line
Not entirely: some web pages refine their search with every character
you type; I notice that most on YouTube, but have seen it elsewhere.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
). You could try one of the others if you have them installed (Edge,
Firefox, Chrome, Brave etc.)
Indeed. You will have Edge by default - it comes with W10. (And is
basically Chrome.)
Post by Peter
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Generally it's addons that cause browser issues. Try starting the browser
in protected mode with all addons disabled. If that gets the speed back
then enable the addons one at a time until it stops again - that is the
culprit.
I often see this advice - but a binary search is much quicker: don't
enable/disable them all at once and then bring them back one at a time -
do half of them, then a quarter, etc.! If, say, you have 16 add-ons,
you'll identify the culprit in at most four goes, whereas disabling them
all and then re-enabling them one at a time could take you up to 16 goes
(and at least 8 on average). [Disable 8; if problem remains, disable 4
more - if it's gone, re-enable 4 more - and so on.] In Firefox at least,
make a note of which ones you enable/disable, as it rearranges the order
it lists them in (puts disabled at the end of the list).
Post by Peter
It gets worse as the hour grows late. Yesterday things started working
normally, but late in the evening it was slow as on the previous day.
Definitely time to hit some of the speedtest sites, at different times
of day. Is it different at weekends? Especially if so, then it's
probably due to just the loading on the internet in your area; changing
ISP may or may not help, depending on whose equipment you're connected
to. Look up your exchange - I forget how, I think SamKnows is the site -
to see whose equipment is in it; if it's only two or three (or at worst
one), your ISP may be just "selling" you access to someone else's system
(like changing gas/electricity supplier doesn't change the
gas/electricity you get). But hit some speedtest sites and tell us what
you find - at a time when your system is suffering, and when it isn't.
Post by Peter
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Steph.
John

n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2021-08-09 05:05:48 UTC
*Date:* Sun, 8 Aug 2021 13:40:40 +0100
Indeed. You will have Edge by default - it comes with W10. (And is
basically Chrome.)
Technically it isn't Chrome - it uses the Chromium rendering engine to
interpret the HTML, as does Chrome, Brave and many others (I believe
SeaMonkey uses the old Netscape engine) but that is wrapped in its own
controls and UI. Chrome, for example, spends time telling Google what
you're doing whereas Brave doesn't.
don't enable/disable them all at once and then bring them back one
at a time - do half of them, then a quarter, etc.! If, say, you
have 16 add-ons, you'll identify the culprit in at most four goes,
whereas disabling them all and then re-enabling them one at a time
could take you up to 16 goes (and at least 8 on average). [Disable
8; if problem remains, disable 4 more - if it's gone, re-enable 4
more - and so on.] In Firefox at least, make a note of which ones
you enable/disable, as it rearranges the order it lists them in
(puts disabled at the end of the list).
You are correct that a binary chop would be quicker if you have lots of
addons installed (I have just three in Firefox). It is also more difficult
to explain to a computer layman (as evidence your paragraph).

The gradual slowdown through the day is puzzling (unless I'
misinterpreting Peter's comments). A contention issue on the broadband
line would start when the service went into "peak" period(s) and would
slow down other internet activity, such as page loading, as well. Peter
said his ISP is BT - are they renowned for contention? Their
advertisements suggest not since they "guarantee" high throughput.

Steph.
krw
2021-08-09 08:05:53 UTC
On 9.8.21 06:05,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
The gradual slowdown through the day is puzzling (unless I'
misinterpreting Peter's comments).
To me this comment implies a memory leak or similar. I would suggest a
reboot when it commences and if that solves it then the following day a
study of Task manager when it slows to see what is eating resources.
2021-08-09 09:55:03 UTC
On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 at 00:05:48,
*Date:* Sun, 8 Aug 2021 13:40:40 +0100
Indeed. You will have Edge by default - it comes with W10. (And is
basically Chrome.)
Technically it isn't Chrome - it uses the Chromium rendering engine to
interpret the HTML, as does Chrome, Brave and many others (I believe
SeaMonkey uses the old Netscape engine) but that is wrapped in its own
controls and UI. Chrome, for example, spends time telling Google what
you're doing whereas Brave doesn't.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... yes, you are
correct, I oversimplified. Nevertheless, when I installed Edge (I'm on
7), it looked very like Chrome, and even loaded most of my Chrome
add-ons. (I haven't used it for months: I really only used it when I
wanted to save something [almost anything - web page, image, download],
which was crashing my Chrome; some update to Chrome fixed that.)

I've read it said that Chrome spends time telling Google what your
doing, and Edge does the same but Microsoft. I don't know for either.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
[...]
I interpreted his comment as being dependent on time of day, rather than
a memory-leak type of problem. I'm waiting to hear the results of some
speed-test site accesses (ideally both when it's slow and when it
isn't), and also activity monitoring (I suggested BitMeter2 but even
Task Manager and Process Monitor (or whatever the latter is called under
10) can show network activity).
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
line would start when the service went into "peak" period(s) and would
slow down other internet activity, such as page loading, as well. Peter
said his ISP is BT - are they renowned for contention? Their
advertisements suggest not since they "guarantee" high throughput.
Since I rarely suffer bandwidth issues (single user, single device,
rarely stream video other than YouTube; I even accepted a [nominal]
speed reduction last haggle in return for anytime calls), I haven't paid
much attention to those aspects of their ad.s; the thing I've noticed
therein lately is - if I'm understanding them correctly - their "router"
including the ability to switch to a mobile network if the line fails.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Steph.
John

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
Philip Hole
2021-08-07 09:20:21 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
1) Give it a good clean with Ccleaner. (including Registry Cleaner)

2) Use Taskmaster to check CPU, memory and disk usages. [look for 'mouso
core' which takes up >2.5Gb in my memory]

3) run malwarebytes. Viruses can slow computers if they are live scanning.

4) not a nice program but effective.. Advanced System Care. Will check
most aspects of your system.
HTH
Flop
Peter
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-07 16:26:48 UTC
On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 10:20:21, Philip Hole <***@theholefamily.org>
Post by Philip Hole
2) Use Taskmaster to check CPU, memory and disk usages. [look for
'mouso core' which takes up >2.5Gb in my memory]
[]
Do you really mean in your memory, rather than disc usage? What _is_ it?
(Given that I only have 3G, anything taking over 2.5G of _my_ memory
would kill my machine! [I currently have 1.86G used, and that's with
lots of things running; the hungriest single process is the old Firefox
I use, which has a tendency to creep up - currently about 400M, though
not rising - though Chrome might be more, but shows lots of separate
threads.]

Philip Hole
2021-08-07 17:26:36 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
2) Use Taskmaster to check CPU, memory and disk usages. [look for
'mouso core' which takes up >2.5Gb in my memory]
[]
Do you really mean in your memory, rather than disc usage? What _is_ it?
(Given that I only have 3G, anything taking over 2.5G of _my_ memory
would kill my machine! [I currently have 1.86G used, and that's with
lots of things running; the hungriest single process is the old Firefox
I use, which has a tendency to creep up - currently about 400M, though
not rising - though Chrome might be more, but shows lots of separate
threads.]
When I say 'memory' I mean... well I forget what.
But mouso use RAM at an alarming rate.
It is to do with computer sleeping and Windows updating.
No-one seems to know what exactly.
Oddly enough, Task Manager says 41.7 MB and Process Monitor says 2.1GB

It can be deactivated (?safely).
Flop
Nick Odell
2021-08-09 10:35:34 UTC
On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 18:26:36 +0100, Philip Hole
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Philip Hole
[...]
This may not be relevant but...

...some people are immensely proud of their up-time: to the extent, in
some cases of keeping a running total in their signature files so that
everybody else can see. I'm one of those people who turns their
machine off every night.

I also re-boot it several times a day. That's not because of any
obsession about the memory filling up but because of my other
obsession for only giving away my passwords etc in a freshly-booted
Linux live session. I use Windows because I find it convenient and
easy for some things but then reboot when I want to check my email or
buy something on-line etc.

My computer isn't the fastest or newest one around but I don't
experience any slowing-down issues.

Nick
Peter
2021-08-09 13:45:13 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Philip Hole
[...]
Me too. (Or mee to.)
Post by Nick Odell
I also re-boot it several times a day
Me, sometimes once, rarely twice.
Peter
2021-08-08 15:04:36 UTC
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
My isp (BT) is quite unreliable.
Joe Kerr
2021-08-09 14:16:44 UTC
Post by Peter
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
My isp (BT) is quite unreliable.
I find that BT on a normal (copper) broadband connection these days
tends to slow down and even periodically drop out in the evenings.
Earlier in the year it was even worse to the point of being unusable on
Sunday afternoons through to Monday mid-mornings.
Ric
Peter
2021-08-09 14:35:03 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Peter
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
My isp (BT) is quite unreliable.
I find that BT on a normal (copper) broadband connection these days
tends to slow down and even periodically drop out in the evenings.
Earlier in the year it was even worse to the point of being unusable on
Sunday afternoons through to Monday mid-mornings.
I think the problems that I have referred to in this thread may well be
down to BT's poor service. So I need to decide whether to stay with
them or use some other service provider.

Needle nardle noo (and chips).
Penny
2021-08-09 14:46:23 UTC
On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:16:44 +0100, Joe Kerr <***@cheerful.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Peter
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
My isp (BT) is quite unreliable.
I find that BT on a normal (copper) broadband connection these days
tends to slow down and even periodically drop out in the evenings.
Earlier in the year it was even worse to the point of being unusable on
Sunday afternoons through to Monday mid-mornings.
Sometimes the specific isp is irrelevant. We've had a fair amount of heavy
rain this year, in between lengthy periods of drought. My near neighbours
are mostly on fibre to the box at the bottom of the hill. Those I've spoken
too recently, who get fed from the same telegraph pole as I do but use
various isps, have had frequent dropping or slowing of their connection, as
have I.

One lost all connection for days and an Openreach chap came out to inspect
the pole, which has often caused problems. When I spoke to him he had the
manhole cover off and was bailing out water from it which he said was the
cause of this latest problem. I spoke to him again after a week of dry days
when he was doing it again (I'd had no further problem in the mean time),
apparently there was water in it again so I guess there is a leak in the
water main somewhere higher up the hill (or the nearby sewer pipe is
leaking).
2021-08-09 14:54:58 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Peter
[...]
He may will have removed all the standing water (at that time) but, within
24 / 48 hours more water may have drained into the ‘well’ from ‘up ‘ill’
from the box. The thames in our area rises over several days after a good
downpour ‘up stream’ of said point.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-08-09 17:56:25 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Peter
My computer has become so slow, it's unusable.  Any suggestions?
My isp (BT) is quite unreliable.
I find that BT on a normal (copper) broadband connection these days
tends to slow down and even periodically drop out in the evenings.
Earlier in the year it was even worse to the point of being unusable on
Sunday afternoons through to Monday mid-mornings.
Sometimes the specific isp is irrelevant. We've had a fair amount of heavy
Go to https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/, and select Exchange
Search, and enter your 'phone number to find your exchange; this (click
on it then scroll down) will tell you whose equipment is in your
exchange. For mine (Charing), it lists 16, only two of which ("Sky" and
"TalkTalk (CPW)") have a green tick rather than a red cross. It also
says right at the bottom " Ofcom Classification
Market 1
This exchange has BT Wholesale as the sole provider of broadband
services." So I'm not sure what Sky and TT(CPW) are (they're shown under
"LLU operator presence"), but it suggests changing nominal provider
wouldn't have any effect on the performance of my link. (I'm actually
quite content with that aspect of my service [bought from PlusNet]; just
other aspects of their service are somewhat lacking.)

I remember a lot of questions on a vocalist forum about the problems singing
"There is a balm in Gilead" without making it sound like a security alert. -
Linda Fox in UMRA, 2010-11-19