OT: Name anagrams
2019-10-21 09:54:08 UTC
I mean no disrespect to the transgender community, but when I read this
article I couldn't help noticing that the second place was taken by Dawn
Orwick, whose name is an anagram of Dick War Now.

Well it amused me anyway...

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/transgender-cyclist-rachel-mckinnon-sprints-away-with-200m-gold-medal-0z2n52wxs?shareToken=0cf9e278308f4466a83be11e4924a027>

"Rachel McKinnon, the cyclist who has become a reluctant “poster girl”
for transgender athletes, has successfully defended her world title in
Manchester.

McKinnon, 37, who set a world record in the qualifying heats for the
women’s 200m sprint, won in a dominant display. There was loud cheering
for Dawn Orwick, the runner-up."
Nick Odell
2019-10-21 13:08:23 UTC
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 10:54:08 +0100, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
I mean no disrespect to the transgender community, but when I read this
article I couldn't help noticing that the second place was taken by Dawn
Orwick, whose name is an anagram of Dick War Now.
Well it amused me anyway...
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/transgender-cyclist-rachel-mckinnon-sprints-away-with-200m-gold-medal-0z2n52wxs?shareToken=0cf9e278308f4466a83be11e4924a027>
"Rachel McKinnon, the cyclist who has become a reluctant “poster girl”
for transgender athletes, has successfully defended her world title in
Manchester.
McKinnon, 37, who set a world record in the qualifying heats for the
women’s 200m sprint, won in a dominant display. There was loud cheering
for Dawn Orwick, the runner-up."
AFAICT Rachel McKinnon is the only one in that race who has made an
elective name change so I guess the anagram of Dawn Orwick is just
unfortunate rather than deliberately provocative. What really
interested me was that I clicked through the link and, instead of
hitting my head against The Times paywall, I was allowed to read the
article. Is The Times changing its access policy?

2019-10-21 13:41:22 UTC
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Yes, just a coincidence. I saw the "Dick" potential in her name and then
worked out the rest :)
Post by Nick Odell
interested me was that I clicked through the link and, instead of
hitting my head against The Times paywall, I was allowed to read the
article. Is The Times changing its access policy?
As a Times subscriber I can share content using a link it provides. Not
sure they'd be happy if they knew it was being osted on Usent with a
multi=billion person audience :)
Nick Odell
2019-10-21 14:11:09 UTC
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 14:41:22 +0100, BrritSki
Post by Nick Odell
interested me was that I clicked through the link and, instead of
hitting my head against The Times paywall, I was allowed to read the
article. Is The Times changing its access policy?
As a Times subscriber I can share content using a link it provides. Not
sure they'd be happy if they knew it was being osted on Usent with a
multi=billion person audience :)
Aha! I see.

Thanks, then, for sharing :-)