Octopus Energy
2021-09-22 10:19:00 UTC
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and not
likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am trying to
sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE who are
impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible. Are Octopus better at customer service?

Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
198kHz
2021-09-22 10:39:51 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and not
likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am trying to
sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE who are
impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible.  Are Octopus better at customer service?
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
I'm very happy with So Energy's customer service - signed up for second
year last February.
198kHz
Philip Hole
2021-09-22 11:04:02 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and
not likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am
trying to sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE
who are impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is
still possible.  Are Octopus better at customer service?
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
You can be comforted by:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/energy-company-reviews/octopus-energy-aESDM2a8ISWP

and:

https://news.sky.com/video/energy-crisis-no-interruption-to-supplies-octopus-energy-ceo-12412844

Octopus seems to have twigged that if they focus on good customer
service they need less staff and problems can be sorted before they
escalate. They try to rely on email communications. Response
Jenny M Benson
2021-09-22 11:16:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a friend
just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service these days.
Wrexham, UK
Sid Nuncius
2021-09-22 17:37:35 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a friend
just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service these days.
First Direct still do, IMO.
--
Sid
2021-09-22 18:27:07 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a friend
just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service these days.
First Direct still do, IMO.
We had a good in-branch experience with Nationwide today. Mine dew,
their online offering is atrocious, including saying "Your session has
timed out" when it means "You have completed your registration process,
please proceed to log in."

2021-09-23 01:39:47 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a
friend just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service
these days.
First Direct still do, IMO.
+1. (Though wait times are a bit up at certain times of day [night] -
though that could be due to CoViD.

... basically it's another language and unless you've studied it, it's
difficult to grasp. I know people get outraged at me saying it, but it's only
my opinion. I'm not telling people who adore Shakespeare to stop adoring it
this minute. - Jane Horrocks, in Radio Times 30 July - 5 August 2011
Chris J Dixon
2021-09-23 10:29:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a friend
just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service these days.
First Direct still do, IMO.
Indeed so, but I am a bit disappointed with what they have done
to their cards.

<https://www2.firstdirect.com/help/bank-accounts/debit-card/mastercard/>

I commented on Twitter

"Just got my new Debit Mastercards for two accounts. Clean and
simple but _identical_ fronts. Tiny identifying text on the back.
Time for a sticker I think. :-("

They said

"Good afternoon, Chris. Thanks for getting in touch about the
design of your new cards, we had a lot of feedback about the
embossing on the old card fading, so we have now moved the
details to the back, and they're laser printed meaning they won't
fade."

I replied

"OK, they won't fade, but they are on the back. Which way do you
hold your card when you slot it into a reader (in the printer
arrow direction)? Even the single tiny embossed dot is
identical."

They said

"I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. We decided
to update the cards based on feedback we received. I appreciate
that you may need to turn the card over before inserting it into
a Chip and Pin machine. "

I replied

"OK, so you are now suggesting that the side with all the
information is now the de facto "front" and that the chip
contacts are on the plain "back"?"

They said

"Hi Chris. For privacy whilst paying, the back of your Debit
Mastercard contains your account and card information. The front
has the chip and the Mastercard symbol. Please insert the card
into the chip & PIN machine face up, chip first in the direction
of the arrow."

At least they engaged pleasantly, and didn't just ignore me.

I really don't know what the "privacy" issue is. The payee will
get your details, and others should (at least currently) be a
social distance away.

I wonder what identifying marking will be easily legible and not
foul any readers. It is a pity it is black.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-09-23 11:31:24 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Kate B
[...]
Chris
I use them too and find customer service has been helpful and easier
tocontact than other companies. I dislike thenew card too and emailed
tocomplain. I haven't checked to see the reply yet. You have to eamil
from the a/c and I didn't think oftweeting, although I do to orgs I am
annoyed with :).

I am also with Nationwide and they have been good on customer service
and responses to emails are good too.
Penny
2021-09-23 12:25:39 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:29:15 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
I wonder what identifying marking will be easily legible and not
foul any readers. It is a pity it is black.
I wonder what the reaction of a retailer would be if you cut a notch or two
out of the edge of the card?

I tend to use white chinagraph to mark black things like plug tops which
don't get touched much. For buttons that are frequently pressed I paint
around the button with an acrylic paint pen (tipex would probably work but
I don't have any). No experience with writing on shiny plastic but you
could try coarse sandpaper on a spot which doesn't seem important and apply
some paint there if a sticker won't do the job.
2021-09-23 13:41:20 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I wonder what identifying marking will be easily legible and not
foul any readers. It is a pity it is black.
I wonder what the reaction of a retailer would be if you cut a notch or two
out of the edge of the card?
I believe that the aerial for the contactless facility runs close
to the edge of the card. Indeed some unbelievers have even
suggested a well-placed notch could disable this unwanted (to
them) facility.
Post by Penny
I tend to use white chinagraph to mark black things like plug tops which
don't get touched much. For buttons that are frequently pressed I paint
around the button with an acrylic paint pen (tipex would probably work but
I don't have any). No experience with writing on shiny plastic but you
could try coarse sandpaper on a spot which doesn't seem important and apply
some paint there if a sticker won't do the job.
They do make metal markers, which conceptually are a tube of
paint with a ballpoint writer. Sadly I don't have one to hand. My
yellow chinagraph makes no useful marks. We may have some Tippex,
but I doubt it is still fluid.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-09-23 15:59:45 UTC
Post by Penny
I tend to use white chinagraph to mark black things like plug tops which
don't get touched much. For buttons that are frequently pressed I paint
around the button with an acrylic paint pen (tipex would probably work but
I don't have any). No experience with writing on shiny plastic but you
could try coarse sandpaper on a spot which doesn't seem important and apply
some paint there if a sticker won't do the job.
They do make metal markers, which conceptually are a tube of
paint with a ballpoint writer. Sadly I don't have one to hand. My
yellow chinagraph makes no useful marks. We may have some Tippex,
but I doubt it is still fluid.
If you Google for "disable NFC card" there are plenty of pictures and
videos showing how to do it. However <warning! useless attribution
ahead!!> somebody somewhere once said something about disabling the
NFC features making cards useless in some ATMs. There are already some
contactless ATMs so apart from the possibility that you put the card
in as normal but it reads the NFC data in preference to the EMV chip,
there's always the chance that machines are checking both in order to
detect cloned cards.

As for identifying your card: do you have an engraving tool and/or a
Dremel and/or some letter/number punches?

2021-09-23 22:34:43 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 14:41:20 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Penny
I tend to use white chinagraph to mark black things like plug tops which
don't get touched much. For buttons that are frequently pressed I paint
around the button with an acrylic paint pen (tipex would probably work but
I don't have any). No experience with writing on shiny plastic but you
could try coarse sandpaper on a spot which doesn't seem important and apply
some paint there if a sticker won't do the job.
They do make metal markers, which conceptually are a tube of
paint with a ballpoint writer. Sadly I don't have one to hand.
I'd be wary of a metallic ink/paint pen, or use of any metallic fluid. I
used to mend circuit boards with those, they might confuse things.
Post by Chris J Dixon
yellow chinagraph makes no useful marks. We may have some Tippex,
but I doubt it is still fluid.
Tippex/style pens are quite cheap.
2021-09-24 07:26:46 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
They do make metal markers, which conceptually are a tube of
paint with a ballpoint writer. Sadly I don't have one to hand.
I'd be wary of a metallic ink/paint pen, or use of any metallic fluid. I
used to mend circuit boards with those, they might confuse things.
No, I meant markers for metal (cue 4 candles) like this:

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ball-Point-Paint-Marker-White/dp/B07RLTCFDM>

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Joe Kerr
2021-09-23 16:07:25 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Prompted by bitter experience, I enquired - rhetorically - of a friend
just yesterday whether *anybody* offered good customer service these days.
And did you get a response?
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-22 12:00:13 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and
not likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am
trying to sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE
who are impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible. Are Octopus better at customer service?
I'm with the fictional M&S - yes, the clothing (and food) company; I say
fictional, because underneath they're one of the others. A few years
ago, the underlying company changed from sse to Octopus; initially I
found the latter easier to communicate with, though I soon found they're
as unable to understand my queries as anyone else (let alone fix
anything). Their bills aren't easy to follow.
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
I fear - as with ISP, insurance, and most other things - the short
answer is no. I think new ones often are to start with, but assuming
they survive and grow, it goes downhill.

Bulb received some glowing reports on UMRA a few years ago; I've
heard/read none lately (though no _complaints_, other than incompetence
over the matter of smart meters). But I think they've grown enough to be
considered one - albeit the smallest - of the "big six", so have
probably ditched _good_ customer service.

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Vicky Ayech
2021-09-22 16:15:32 UTC
Post by Kate B
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
I fear - as with ISP, insurance, and most other things - the short
answer is no. I think new ones often are to start with, but assuming
they survive and grow, it goes downhill.
Bulb received some glowing reports on UMRA a few years ago; I've
heard/read none lately (though no _complaints_, other than incompetence
over the matter of smart meters). But I think they've grown enough to be
considered one - albeit the smallest - of the "big six", so have
probably ditched _good_ customer service.
Customer service is still very good but they seem unable to fix their
algorithms to reflect reality. We gave up and just read the meters. I
used to complain most months and they'd apologise and correct it. I
think I still can't change my monthly DD myself online as I used to be
able to because of it but if I email I get a response pretty fast and
they do it;.
Nick Odell
2021-09-22 14:29:31 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and not
likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am trying to
sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE who are
impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible. Are Octopus better at customer service?
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
The advice that seems to be prevalent on radio and in the press seems
to be, "Stay put. In these dangerous and unprecedented times of
uncertainty, where we are facing conditions never experienced before,
one should stay exactly where one is and let the experts get on with
sorting out the mess."

I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.

2021-09-22 15:13:29 UTC
The advice that seems to be prevalent on radio and in the press seems
to be, "Stay put. In these dangerous and unprecedented times of
uncertainty, where we are facing conditions never experienced before,
one should stay exactly where one is and let the experts get on with
sorting out the mess."
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
BTN?

Until I scrolled down to your final paragraph, I was about to say
the same.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-09-22 15:27:27 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
The advice that seems to be prevalent on radio and in the press seems
to be, "Stay put. In these dangerous and unprecedented times of
uncertainty, where we are facing conditions never experienced before,
one should stay exactly where one is and let the experts get on with
sorting out the mess."
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
BTN?
Until I scrolled down to your final paragraph, I was about to say
the same.
Meanwhile, in another part of the forest, the news came through
that Avro, my supplier, has gone bust, so right now I just have
to allow the system to do its stuff. :-(

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-09-22 15:49:45 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
The advice that seems to be prevalent on radio and in the press seems
to be, "Stay put. In these dangerous and unprecedented times of
uncertainty, where we are facing conditions never experienced before,
one should stay exactly where one is and let the experts get on with
sorting out the mess."
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
BTN?
Until I scrolled down to your final paragraph, I was about to say
the same.
Meanwhile, in another part of the forest, the news came through
that Avro, my supplier, has gone bust, so right now I just have
to allow the system to do its stuff. :-(
I'm sorry to hear about your energy supplier, Chris. (though not sorry
you thought it worthy of a BTN - thank you!)

Unencumbered by a degree in Economics or anything of that sort, I've
always felt that the privatisation models for our utilities was bound
to fail under stress. We stressed the railways and now we are
stressing energy and, rather like 2007/2008 and the fall of Lehman
Brothers I don't think anybody knows how far and how deep this is
going and I don't think anybody knows how to stop it. But then, as I
said earlier, I am unencumbered by a degree in Economics or anything
of that sort.

Sit tight and unbrick-up the chimney will be my battle-cry!

2021-09-22 20:55:03 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Meanwhile, in another part of the forest, the news came through
that Avro, my supplier, has gone bust, so right now I just have
to allow the system to do its stuff.:-(
Thanks for that cheery news (we too are/have been with Avro). I shall
think about it all when we get home after our holiday.

Our fixed price arrangement for the next 12 months _was_ a good deal.
John Ashby

2021-09-22 16:20:51 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and not
likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am trying to
sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE who are
impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible. Are Octopus better at customer service?
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
The advice that seems to be prevalent on radio and in the press seems
to be, "Stay put. In these dangerous and unprecedented times of
uncertainty, where we are facing conditions never experienced before,
one should stay exactly where one is and let the experts get on with
sorting out the mess."
I wouldn't mind so much, but I've just taken possession of the house,
the ex-tenants have signed off, the builders are in and doubtless using
lots of juice, and I would prefer not to be on an emergency tariff. SSE
were notified a month ago but haven't sent me a letter or anything...
Post by Nick Odell
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
Are you fishing for a BTN, by any chance?
2021-09-22 16:58:59 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Odell
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
Are you fishing for a BTN, by any chance?
I might be.

And if I were also fishing for an innuendo, would you give me one?

I understand your situation but things have changed a lot in just a
few days. There is a consensus emerging that the Standard Variable
Rate (isn't that the "Emergency Tariff you mention?) is now the best
rate to be on because it is capped by the government -erme- cap. The
companies that are going bust seem to be the little ones who locked
people into very cheap contract prices that are now lower than the
prices they themselves have to pay for the energy. It could even be
that the government price cap is or will quickly become below the cost
price of the energy so even the bigger companies who have bought ahead
on the futures market will come under pressure - even more so as they
are forced to accept even more customers from even more failed
suppliers.

It's a problem of the government's making. Not necessarily this
government or at least not necessarily this government on its own.
Previous governments set up a market that IMO would become unworkable
under adverse conditions and this government is just unlucky enough
to have been caught by adverse conditions and it appears to be
insufficiently agile to cope with them.

I am simply going to sit tight, keep my head down, not do a thing and
let the government sort things out. I don't see how they can sort
things out without in effect re-nationalising the energy business as
they in effect have already re-nationalised the railways but if they
don't, that's the next election down the pan. IMO of course.

2021-09-22 21:16:09 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Odell
I seem to recall they said the same at Grenfell and that didn't work
out too well either.
Are you fishing for a BTN, by any chance?
I might be.
And if I were also fishing for an innuendo, would you give me one?
Of course :)
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Heigho, I think I'll have to sit tight anyway since I have no
information to get at them online and no way of getting them to pick up
the phone or reply to emails or tweets. I'm sure when the bills have run
themselves up sufficiently they'll want to be paid.
Jane Vernon
2021-09-24 10:40:30 UTC
Post by Kate B
Heigho, I think I'll have to sit tight anyway since I have no
information to get at them online and no way of getting them to pick up
the phone or reply to emails or tweets. I'm sure when the bills have run
themselves up sufficiently they'll want to be paid.
Kate, do give Zebra a try. They have always seemed easy to get hold of
(though haven't tried for about three months as still no imminent
completion on parents' house). They are mostly in their office in
Manchester. You can even have a good conversation with them about
whether they support City (as I do) or United. They are all extrmely
human and helpful. They may be able to work with the non-communication
of other companies as well.

PP
Kate B
2021-09-24 15:13:45 UTC
Post by Kate B
Heigho, I think I'll have to sit tight anyway since I have no
information to get at them online and no way of getting them to pick
up the phone or reply to emails or tweets. I'm sure when the bills
have run themselves up sufficiently they'll want to be paid.
Kate, do give Zebra a try.  They have always seemed easy to get hold of
(though haven't tried for about three months as still no imminent
completion on parents' house).  They are mostly in their office in
Manchester.  You can even have a good conversation with them about
whether they support City (as I do) or United.  They are all extrmely
human and helpful.  They may be able to work with the non-communication
of other companies as well.
PP
Thank you, I will! I had another Kafka experience this morning when I
was looking for a telephone number for SSE, one that didn't begin
'please enter your account number' (which I have not got), and realised
that their site has had a makeover. So I tried the 'moving into a new
house' pathway, only to be stumped again with 'sorry we cannot process
your request, please call us'. On the number that requests your account
number. Which I have not got.

Just wondering, though - who's behind Zebra? Are they not another little
company that's likely to go bust like the other little companies?

They're not answering their phone this afternoon....
Jane Vernon
2021-09-24 16:34:06 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
[...]
Oh dear :( They're open again on Monday, so maybe not available at
weekends is a drawback. But my statement that they have unparallelled
customer support is backed up in this general article about them.

https://www.switch-plan.co.uk/suppliers/zebra-power/

PP
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-24 23:02:56 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 at 16:13:45, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Kate B
Thank you, I will! I had another Kafka experience this morning when I
was looking for a telephone number for SSE, one that didn't begin
'please enter your account number' (which I have not got), and realised
that their site has had a makeover. So I tried the 'moving into a new
house' pathway, only to be stumped again with 'sorry we cannot process
your request, please call us'. On the number that requests your account
number. Which I have not got.
Often, if you just hang on after it's asked you (e. g. to make a menu
selection, but I imagine it might work when it's asking for an account
number too), it eventually connects you to a person. [Sometimes it will
just hang up after the second or third time of asking, though )-:.]

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when
they're in trouble again.
Kate B
2021-09-25 09:10:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
Thank you, I will! I had another Kafka experience this morning when I
was looking for a telephone number for SSE, one that didn't begin
'please enter your account number' (which I have not got), and
realised that their site has had a makeover. So I tried the 'moving
into a new house' pathway, only to be stumped again with 'sorry we
cannot process your request, please call us'. On the number that
requests your account number. Which I have not got.
Often, if you just hang on after it's asked you (e. g. to make a menu
selection, but I imagine it might work when it's asking for an account
number too), it eventually connects you to a person. [Sometimes it will
just hang up after the second or third time of asking, though )-:.]
Exactly. If I try to hang on for a person it boots me off after twenty
minutes or so.
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2021-09-23 06:27:33 UTC
*Date:* Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:19:00 +0100
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable
and not likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I
am trying to sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently
with SSE who are impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a
switch is still possible. Are Octopus better at customer service?
I used to be with Co-op Energy but a couple of years ago they sold out to
Octopus. I stayed with them because the fixed price contract terms didn't
change. Then last year I renewed with them on a one year fixed price
contract because they were still offering a good deal. It's coming up to
renewal time again and, as far as I can tell from the switch web sites,
they are still one of the better and cheeper suppliers. I intend to take
their standard variable for the time being because the price cap is making
it cheeper than any of their fixed price offers (I can change again when
the price goes up).

Octopus do monthly billing. I don't have a smart meter so I provide a
reading through their web site each month to avoid any estimated bills
(they email me a reminder when it's time). Not that it would make much
difference because I pay them a fixed amount by DD each month. The bill
comes back a few hours later. One minor quirk, they have a roulette spin
each time offering prizes up to £250 - I've won a couple of quid during my
time with them.

I don't have any experience with their customer service, never needed to
use it. They seem fair and on the ball with their emails. I've never had
any problems with the bills.

Steph.
Jenny M Benson
2021-09-23 09:44:27 UTC
On 23/09/2021 07:27,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
I've never had
any problems with the bills.
My problem with bills, both from E-on and BT, is that they send an
e-mail saying "You owe us £lots but don't worry, we'll collect it by
Direct Debit and if you really want to see the bill go here."

Note the vital piece of information that is missing? WHEN are they
going to collect it? I pay by quarterly DD because that is the method I
prefer. I put an amount into Savings every week and when necessary
transfer back to my Current A/c the amount needed to cover a large bill.
Why do I have to plough through all the palaver of viewing the bill
just to know when I need to have the money available?

And another little bill rant, why the heck can't Hafren Dyfrdwy do
online billing like everyone else? I've just received my water bill and
it comprised NINE sheets of paper! I didn't bother to try and find out
why there weren't an even number of Welsh and English pages.
Wrexham, UK
Nick Odell
2021-09-23 10:00:55 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:44:27 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
On 23/09/2021 07:27,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
[...]
My preferred method of payment is quarterly variable DD too but when I
was transferred from nPower to e-on Next (without so much as a
by-your-leave) they put me on monthly variable DD. Their T&Cs don't
appear to offer quarterly anything now. So, because I insist on paper
bills I now get 12 of them instead of 4. Perhaps the paper deluge is
part of their cunning plan to take me paperless.

2021-09-23 10:37:33 UTC
My preferred method of payment is quarterly variable DD too but when I
was transferred from nPower to e-on Next (without so much as a
by-your-leave) they put me on monthly variable DD. Their T&Cs don't
appear to offer quarterly anything now. So, because I insist on paper
bills I now get 12 of them instead of 4. Perhaps the paper deluge is
part of their cunning plan to take me paperless.
My Avro online billing (which will no longer give me this
problem) just wasn't optimised.

I wrote last year:

"I like the ability to download and save my bill statements, but
I'm not sure that you have though through all the logistics of
this operation.

The file provided is simply called "Monthly Statement". The
initial problem is that there is no file extension, so my
computer doesn't know that it can use its default .pdf reader to
open it, and I have to select it manually.

Secondly, when I download the following month's statement, it has
exactly the same name, and needs to be renamed in order to save
it in the same folder.

My experience with other companies leads me to suggest that you
could incorporate the date into the filename, resulting in
something of the form Statement yyyy-mm-dd.pdf, which would also
list in date order from an alphabetic sort."

They eventually did something like this, for a bit, but I then
had to write again:

"After some time a change was eventually implemented, and the
statements for October and November 2020 did include the date in
the filename, and a .pdf file extension.

Sadly, this didn't last very long, and by December you had
reverted to the current arrangement where the file for every
statement is simply called "pdf.pdf".

This seems to be a pointless retrograde step. Is this deliberate?
If so, why? Do those managing the system really understand how it
is used?

I would be delighted to discuss this with anybody who understands
the situation."

They responded with platitudes, said it would be passed on, but
nothing changed. I guess they were still fighting alligators.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Joe Kerr
2021-09-23 15:54:12 UTC
On 23/09/2021 07:27,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
I've never had
any problems with the bills.
My problem with bills, both from E-on and BT, is that they send an
e-mail saying "You owe us £lots but don't worry, we'll collect it by
Direct Debit and if you really want to see the bill go here."
At which point, on my BT account, the system hangs. I haven't seen a
bill since May and have no idea what they are charging me for or why
there was a strangely low amount one month. When I contacted them a
month ago a supervisor promised it would be fixed within 24 working
hours. Sadly he failed to specify which 24 hours it would be. (It is
also extremely difficult to get anybody in support to accept that my
inability to access billing (or usage) information is due to their
system failing rather than me being to stupid to be able to log on to it.)
Post by Jenny M Benson
Note the vital piece of information that is missing?  WHEN are they
going to collect it?  I pay by quarterly DD because that is the method I
prefer.  I put an amount into Savings every week and when necessary
transfer back to my Current A/c the amount needed to cover a large bill.
 Why do I have to plough through all the palaver of viewing the bill
just to know when I need to have the money available?
And another little bill rant, why the heck can't Hafren Dyfrdwy do
online billing like everyone else?  I've just received my water bill and
it comprised NINE sheets of paper!  I didn't bother to try and find out
why there weren't an even number of Welsh and English pages.
Could it be down to the relative difference in number of vowels?
Ric
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2021-09-24 04:56:27 UTC
*Date:* Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:54:12 +0100
At which point, on my BT account, the system hangs.
There are two possibilities for your end causing the problem (I don't use
BT so these are just general suggestions).

Are you using a pop-up blocker (or a browser that has inbuilt blocking)?
Pop-up blockers are often part of ad blocking utilities. Some sites use
pop-ups to open lists of the bills for you to choose from and a blocker
will prevent them doing so making it seem like the page has just died.

Have you tried a different browser? I found my broadband ISP's site
doesn't like FireFox and it refuses to display any bills but everything
works fine if I use Edge.

Steph.
Joe Kerr
2021-09-24 11:44:20 UTC
On 24/09/2021 05:56,
*Date:* Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:54:12 +0100
At which point, on my BT account, the system hangs.
There are two possibilities for your end causing the problem (I don't use
BT so these are just general suggestions).
Thanks for the suggestions.
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Are you using a pop-up blocker (or a browser that has inbuilt blocking)?
Pop-up blockers are often part of ad blocking utilities. Some sites use
pop-ups to open lists of the bills for you to choose from and a blocker
will prevent them doing so making it seem like the page has just died.
Have you tried a different browser? I found my broadband ISP's site
doesn't like FireFox and it refuses to display any bills but everything
works fine if I use Edge.
I thought of that before attempting to contact them. It is a problem in
their Android app, with Firefox on Win 10, with Firefox on Win 7 and
with Firefox and Chrome on Debian. It appears to coincide with my
upgrade from copper to fibre (not that I am suggesting the actual
connection is in any way responsible) when their system was showing I
had requested a change but couldn't tell me what it was (and still can't).
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Steph.
Ric
Penny
2021-09-23 10:14:13 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 01:27:33 -0500,
no-spam-for-***@cix.compulink.co.uk scrawled
in the dust...
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
I don't have any experience with their customer service, never needed to
use it. They seem fair and on the ball with their emails. I've never had
any problems with the bills.
This is one of the problems with customer service ratings - you only hear
about the bad ones because a customer who has never had (or noticed) a
problem, cannot comment one way or the other.

I'm reminded of a disagreement I had with a plumber once. My washing
machine needed a new rubber sleeve between drum and door. I had bought it
as a Which? best buy, maybe 8 years previously, and it had never needed any
attention, in spite of much use - I'd been raising two children in cloth
nappies in its lifetime.

I had told the plumber the make and model and he arrived a few days later
with the appropriate part. He then tried to persuade me I really should
have a Hotpoint machine as it was much easier to get parts for them and he
could have fixed it sooner. He did not, apparently, understand my
suggestion that this was because Hotpoints went wrong more frequently.

Word-of-mouth moves much more quickly now, but those with complaints are
still the only ones heard. We need a survey which asks directly which
companies/products have never given them any problems.
2021-09-23 15:50:06 UTC
This is one of the problems with customer service ratings - you only hear
about the bad ones because a customer who has never had (or noticed) a
problem, cannot comment one way or the other.
In view of my ongoing rant about DHL and my grumpy suggestion that no
one gives good Customer Service these days, I am making a point of
mentioning good CS when I experience it. Firstly, see my follow-up to
my original rant.

Secondly, I have just had an e-mail from Iceland who had already
apologised for not being able to supply all the items I ordered on
Tuesday for delivery yesterday (and immediately refunded me). (Have
been able to get next-day delivery every time for ages now. Well done,
Iceland!) They apologized again, explained and offered me £5 off my
next shop. THAT. DHL, is what good Customer Service looks like.
Wrexham, UK
Penny
2021-09-24 09:16:58 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:50:06 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Secondly, I have just had an e-mail from Iceland who had already
apologised for not being able to supply all the items I ordered on
Tuesday for delivery yesterday (and immediately refunded me). (Have
been able to get next-day delivery every time for ages now. Well done,
Iceland!) They apologized again, explained and offered me £5 off my
next shop. THAT. DHL, is what good Customer Service looks like.
I came home from Morrisons slightly annoyed last week. They did some
remodelling a couple of months ago. Not being a frequent shopper, I have
not yet learned where things are now shelved and do a lot more walking back
and forth. The shelving is now higher, and in some cases, deeper than it
used to be which makes it even more difficult as the signs above the aisles
can only be seen when you are in the aisle they apply to.

I had already sought out a sales assistant twice to help me - not easy on a
quiet Monday afternoon when few were around - and was looking for streaky
bacon. I eventually noticed a sign on the edge of the narrow top shelf
which indicated where it should be and thought I could see the edge of a
packet. I considered climbing up to grab it but that didn't seem safe. On
tip-toe I just managed to pull the box forward and put it on a lower shelf
only to find the packets were dated that day. Stretching up again I felt
another box and, with great effort, managed to pull that forward too and
grabbed a pack with a later date.

Later, once I'd put all my shopping away, I wrote an email to the manager
(name and address on receipt) and, very politely and calmly, made my
complaint. I suggested that putting thin things on high narrow shelves was
silly - witness the nearly out-of-date items which no one under 6ft tall
could see or easily reach. Kick-stools for customer use might be helpful,
or better still a fixed step along the whole length of the aisle if they
really feel such tall shelving is necessary. I also pointed out the higher
shelves had made the aisle signs less visible. I also apologised for not
replacing the box I'd moved to a lower shelf.

He replied about half an hour later, thanking me for my feedback,
explaining health and safety would not allow customer kick-stools and
promising to check the visibility of the signs. He said I should contact
him next time I am in the store and he would buy me a bunch of flowers.

I'm not overly impressed and doubt anything will change, but I do feel
'heard'.

I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
2021-09-24 10:14:35 UTC
[...]
A pair of stilts, perhaps?

2021-09-24 10:58:07 UTC
[...]
Nick
Or a pogo stick and quick reactions!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-09-24 11:02:52 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:14:35 +0100, Nick Odell
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
A pair of stilts, perhaps?
I considered that, but don't think my hips and knees would cope - I could
do myself a real injury!
2021-09-24 19:25:36 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:14:35 +0100, Nick Odell
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
A pair of stilts, perhaps?
I considered that, but don't think my hips and knees would cope - I could
do myself a real injury!
Just tell them to supply a tall personal shopper for each customer under
6 foot in height. That will make their new super dooper layout really
effective.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-24 12:55:48 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 at 10:16:58, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
I came home from Morrisons slightly annoyed last week. They did some
remodelling a couple of months ago. Not being a frequent shopper, I have
not yet learned where things are now shelved and do a lot more walking back
When supermarkets move things, would it really hurt to place a little
sign where the things used to be, saying where they are now? I have seen
this - once, in over 40 years; I think it was in a Sainsburys near
Chelmsford.

Actually, I've just cut-and-pasted the above into Twitter (see below).

(They could also add other signs saying where associated things are, if
there's a reason they need to be separate [such as one needs to be
chilled] - such as where the dips are next to the tortilla chips, and
vice versa. Surely this would _increase_ sales!

(Tweeted as 2/2.)
Post by Penny
and forth. The shelving is now higher, and in some cases, deeper than it
Later, once I'd put all my shopping away, I wrote an email to the manager
He replied about half an hour later, thanking me for my feedback,
explaining health and safety would not allow customer kick-stools and
promising to check the visibility of the signs. He said I should contact
him next time I am in the store and he would buy me a bunch of flowers.
OK, a slight variation on "give the customer some money and hope they'll
go away", along with the usual "we'll look into it", but I'll be very
surprised if anything actually happens - do tell us if I'm wrong!

Do take him up on the offer - but take with you a printed list of these
[and any other matters] (with the date and your email on the bottom) to
give to him; that way he'll have something concrete (OK, paper) to
remind him.
Post by Penny
I'm not overly impressed and doubt anything will change, but I do feel
'heard'.
When I got onto NewsWatch, Samira Ahmed told me I'd been heard - I can't
remember whether my response got into the edit though (-:!
Post by Penny
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)

It costs more to send someone to prison than it does to send a child to Eton.
- Dan Snow (RT 2014/11/1-7)
Mike McMillan
2021-09-24 14:20:21 UTC
Post by Penny
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
Just a follow up to Jpeg’s suggestion:

‘such as where the dips are next to the tortilla chips, and vice versa.
Surely this would _increase_ sales!’

But actually would probably read:

such as where the dips should be were it not for the shortage of
deliveries, next to the tortilla chips [ which we do not have ] {as in
‘naming of parts’}, and vice versa. Surely this would _increase_ sales!

Oh one could really have ‘fun’ with a set of mis-directing signs! Which
would all include the message ‘Do not pass go, do not collect £200’. ;-)))
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-24 14:53:36 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 at 14:20:21, Mike McMillan
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
Oh one could really have ‘fun’ with a set of mis-directing signs! Which
would all include the message ‘Do not pass go, do not collect £200’. ;-)))
I hadn't thought of that. I could see the staff having some sort of game
in the CCTV room - a sort of cross between Ludo and PacMan (-:
5

We must, of course, ensure that we display no bias. The bias I worry about
most is the bias against understanding. - Nick Robinson, RT 2017/4/8-14
steve hague
2021-09-25 09:34:06 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
‘such as where the dips are next to the tortilla chips, and vice versa.
Surely this would _increase_ sales!’
such as where the dips should be were it not for the shortage of
deliveries, next to the tortilla chips [ which we do not have ] {as in
‘naming of parts’}, and vice versa. Surely this would _increase_ sales!
Oh one could really have ‘fun’ with a set of mis-directing signs! Which
would all include the message ‘Do not pass go, do not collect £200’. ;-)))
Supermarkets do this occasionally. Our local Morrisons did it recently,
and I'm still struggling to find my way around. I take my revenge by
putting the Utterly Butterly where the I'cant believe it's not Butter
should be. That'll teach them.
2021-09-25 10:51:05 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
‘such as where the dips are next to the tortilla chips, and vice versa.
Surely this would _increase_ sales!’
such as where the dips should be were it not for the shortage of
deliveries, next to the tortilla chips [ which we do not have ] {as in
‘naming of parts’}, and vice versa. Surely this would _increase_ sales!
Oh one could really have ‘fun’ with a set of mis-directing signs! Which
would all include the message ‘Do not pass go, do not collect £200’. ;-)))
Supermarkets do this occasionally. Our local Morrisons did it recently,
and I'm still struggling to find my way around. I take my revenge by
putting the Utterly Butterly where the I'cant believe it's not Butter
AKA Bugger me, it's Marge (Jeremy Hardy)

2021-09-25 11:15:28 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike McMillan
‘such as where the dips are next to the tortilla chips, and vice versa.
Surely this would _increase_ sales!’
such as where the dips should be were it not for the shortage of
deliveries, next to the tortilla chips [ which we do not have ] {as in
‘naming of parts’}, and vice versa. Surely this would _increase_ sales!
Oh one could really have ‘fun’ with a set of mis-directing signs! Which
would all include the message ‘Do not pass go, do not collect £200’. ;-)))
Supermarkets do this occasionally. Our local Morrisons did it recently,
and I'm still struggling to find my way around. I take my revenge by
putting the Utterly Butterly where the I'cant believe it's not Butter
should be. That'll teach them.
Steve
But of course you use nothing other than Cornish Clotted Cream on anything
requiring a spread!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Vicky Ayech
2021-09-24 17:11:28 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:55:48 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Penny
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
They all reshuffle stuff so you walk around more and do impulse
buying.
Joe Kerr
2021-09-24 18:51:25 UTC
Post by Penny
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
They all reshuffle stuff so you walk around more and do impulse
buying.
Unless you mutter a few rude words, abandon your trolley/basket for some
minion to re-shelve, and go shop at a competitor where you /can/ find
the things you need. Until they have a reshuffle.
Ric
Sam Plusnet
That's repulse shopping.
Nick Odell
2021-09-26 16:41:01 UTC
Post by Penny
I may take a folding step with me on my next visit.
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
They all reshuffle stuff so you walk around more and do impulse
buying.
Our Tesco[1] is going through a bit more than a reshuffle, more a
remodelling. They've put the new chiller cabinets where the clothing
used to be and there are big open spaces where the old chiller
cabinets used to stand, etc etc. I think I would have been happier if
they had just closed for ten days and reopened again as a new store.

Nick
[1]Bit difficult to tell the chirality with all the building work
that's going on.
Penny
2021-09-24 21:21:16 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Sadly, these days, Twitter seems very effective. If you do that, and
take a picture of yourself using it and put that in your tweet, I bet
I don't tweet, though I suppose I could do it on my PC. I don't have a
camera which would easily take such a photo though.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
So do I, and not just because I worked for Safeway for a while. I mostly
shop there or Lidl, with very occasional trips to eTsco (who I've never
really liked). One of the things which put me off Tesco years ago was their
dark claustrophobic shops with narrow aisles and over-tall shelves. I can't
accuse them of that now, in fact they've swapped places with Morrisons in
that regard, which is a shame.

I suppose I could don my very dark over-specs and try the new Aldi next
door.
steve hague
2021-09-25 09:46:00 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
you'll start a small fire in Morrisons! (I wish it wasn't them: on the
whole, I like them best out of Sains/Tesc/ASDA/Morr.)
So do I, and not just because I worked for Safeway for a while. I mostly
shop there or Lidl, with very occasional trips to eTsco (who I've never
really liked). One of the things which put me off Tesco years ago was their
dark claustrophobic shops with narrow aisles and over-tall shelves. I can't
accuse them of that now, in fact they've swapped places with Morrisons in
that regard, which is a shame.
I suppose I could don my very dark over-specs and try the new Aldi next
door.
Tesco supermarkets vary. Our closest one (Redruth) is a very pleasant
place to shop. They don't move things around much, it's well lit, the
aisles are wide enough, and everything on sale is where I would expect
to find it. The slightly further away and much bigger Tesco Extra is not
nice. I avoid it unless I need something from their pharmacy, which
Redruth Tesco has not got. Our local Aldi is very good, for all sorts of
reasons.
2021-09-26 08:12:26 UTC
Post by steve hague
Tesco supermarkets vary. Our closest one (Redruth) is a very pleasant
place to shop. They don't move things around much, it's well lit, the
aisles are wide enough, and everything on sale is where I would expect
to find it. The slightly further away and much bigger Tesco Extra is not
nice. I avoid it unless I need something from their pharmacy, which
Redruth Tesco has not got. Our local Aldi is very good, for all sorts of
reasons.
Our Sainsbury's (still clockwise) has just had a "refresh", and
we have gained Argos click & collect, and Starbucks, which have
been fitted into the old cafe area. Minor tweaks around the store
are still leaving my scratching my head.

The cramped toilets have been redecorated, but we still have one
hand dryer to 3 basins. Poor maths.

I occasionally pop into the nearby Tesco in search of something
Sainsbury's don't stock.

In the village the Co-op is a reasonable standby.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-09-26 08:35:34 UTC
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:12:26 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
The cramped toilets have been redecorated, but we still have one
hand dryer to 3 basins. Poor maths.
... and poor hygiene, I've never been a fan(!) of hand dryers but with
airborne pathogens in mind, they seem like a very bad idea.
2021-09-26 09:05:30 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
The cramped toilets have been redecorated, but we still have one
hand dryer to 3 basins. Poor maths.
... and poor hygiene, I've never been a fan(!) of hand dryers but with
airborne pathogens in mind, they seem like a very bad idea.
As is the idea of allowing the means of washing your hands with soap and
the means to dry them but permitting no other means of exit other than
handling a lever or handle on a door which everyone else has used before
even if they didn’t was their hands (Shock Horror!, doesn’t EVERYone wash
and dry their hands before exiting?) For this very reason, I prefer to use
a paper towel and then hold the door handle with this same towel and …
holding the door ajar with my foot, place the paper towel in the bin then
exit the door and releasing my ‘holding foot’ as I leave. Paranoid????? You
Betcha!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Nick Odell
2021-09-26 16:45:04 UTC
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:05:30 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris J Dixon
The cramped toilets have been redecorated, but we still have one
hand dryer to 3 basins. Poor maths.
... and poor hygiene, I've never been a fan(!) of hand dryers but with
airborne pathogens in mind, they seem like a very bad idea.
As is the idea of allowing the means of washing your hands with soap and
the means to dry them but permitting no other means of exit other than
handling a lever or handle on a door which everyone else has used before
even if they didn’t was their hands (Shock Horror!, doesn’t EVERYone wash
and dry their hands before exiting?) For this very reason, I prefer to use
a paper towel and then hold the door handle with this same towel and …
holding the door ajar with my foot, place the paper towel in the bin then
exit the door and releasing my ‘holding foot’ as I leave. Paranoid????? You
Betcha!
I generally used to wait for somebody else to come in and slip out
before the door closed again. I didn't usually have to wait too long.

These days I'm a bit more wary about going in at all so I celebrate my
safe return from shopping with my first cup of tea of the day.

2021-09-26 08:40:15 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
In the village the Co-op is a reasonable standby.
Has the Co-op won the pools or something, recently?

Within about the last year the tiny Co-op in Wrexham town centre has
moved across the road into much larger premises. I've not been in yet,
but imagine it's much updated and certainly has a bank of self-service
tills now. In one village between Wrexham and Flint an empty pub has
been converted into a Co-op shop and in another a new Co-op supermarket
has been built.
2021-09-26 10:18:53 UTC
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:40:15 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Chris J Dixon
In the village the Co-op is a reasonable standby.
Has the Co-op won the pools or something, recently?
Within about the last year the tiny Co-op in Wrexham town centre has
moved across the road into much larger premises. I've not been in yet,
but imagine it's much updated and certainly has a bank of self-service
tills now. In one village between Wrexham and Flint an empty pub has
been converted into a Co-op shop and in another a new Co-op supermarket
has been built.
The row of shops close to here has been knocked down and the shops
will be moved to newly built premises in the row of new housing the
local authority is building, community stuff. Unfortunately they
knocked them down, including the PO, 6 months ago but the new premises
are not finished. So no PO or hairdresser or other things.

The only one was finished almost at once was the new co-op, which has
been donw very nicely, a bit bigger and we think gone up-market a
little. The management of that raised such a fuss the council had to
fix it as there are lots of council properties and old people and
families with small children in the area and it is the only shop for
miles. They finally, after 2 months, put a kiosk outside the community
centre which the PO use now to give out pensions.

Not knocking the old shops down until the people could move to them
might have been a better nuggering idea. Still no hairdresser and the
owner had apparently to sign a contract to take the new premises
without it even being built.
Penny
2021-09-26 21:53:37 UTC
On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:40:15 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Post by Chris J Dixon
In the village the Co-op is a reasonable standby.
Has the Co-op won the pools or something, recently?
Within about the last year the tiny Co-op in Wrexham town centre has
moved across the road into much larger premises. I've not been in yet,
but imagine it's much updated and certainly has a bank of self-service
tills now. In one village between Wrexham and Flint an empty pub has
been converted into a Co-op shop and in another a new Co-op supermarket
has been built.
When I moved here there were three Co-op stores in the town - which seemed
a little OTT, even for the birthplace of Robert Owen. They all got
swallowed by what I would term 'lesser' brands before disappearing as
grocery shops altogether. I think the nearest Co-op to me now is what used
to be Harry Tuffins in Churchstoke (can't be sure because I haven't been
that far from home for over a year), which went through a period as Nessa
before becoming a Co-op. They made some changes for good, along with some I
was less happy about.
Joe Kerr
2021-09-26 20:44:12 UTC
Minor tweaks around the store are still leaving my scratching my head.
Chris
+1
I shop in the same JS, and the re-arrangements are driving me nuts (or even nuttier).
Things that have been in the same place for 30 years have moved, and I haven't worked out
the logic - if any- behind some of the moves.
The first week or so an unlucky member of staff was around to redirect people, but that
only helped for regular purchases, not the every--month-or-so type.
Rosemary
When one or other of the superemporia opened a new or revamped local (to
wherever it was I was living at the time) branch they had little tags
hanging off the trolley handles and, I think, flyers with the layout of
the store on so that customers could find their way around. I remember
it vividly like it was yesterday, or yesterdecade.
Ric
steve hague
2021-09-27 10:03:03 UTC
Post by steve hague
Tesco supermarkets vary. Our closest one (Redruth) is a very pleasant
place to shop. They don't move things around much, it's well lit, the
aisles are wide enough, and everything on sale is where I would expect
to find it. The slightly further away and much bigger Tesco Extra is
not nice. I avoid it unless I need something from their pharmacy,
which Redruth Tesco has not got. Our local Aldi is very good, for all
sorts of reasons.
We're just down the road from you in Hayle ATM.
There used to be a jolly useful Co-op - which closed after the Asda
opened in Hayle.
We actually tried the Asda recently, & found it very down at heel and
depressing.  We grabbed a couple of things (far less than we had gone in
for) and left before Wofe started spitting feathers.
The Lidl here is pretty good.
Agreed, the Hayle Asda is horrible. I quite like the Lidl, but prefer
the one at Pool, but don't go there often because I dislike those hand
basket/ trolley things they have. Their instore bakery is excellent
though. Crispy warm croissants❤.
Steve
steve hague
2021-09-27 10:07:50 UTC
Post by steve hague
Tesco supermarkets vary. Our closest one (Redruth) is a very pleasant
place to shop. They don't move things around much, it's well lit, the
aisles are wide enough, and everything on sale is where I would expect
to find it. The slightly further away and much bigger Tesco Extra is
not nice. I avoid it unless I need something from their pharmacy,
which Redruth Tesco has not got. Our local Aldi is very good, for all
sorts of reasons.
We're just down the road from you in Hayle ATM.
There used to be a jolly useful Co-op - which closed after the Asda
opened in Hayle.
We actually tried the Asda recently, & found it very down at heel and
depressing.  We grabbed a couple of things (far less than we had gone in
for) and left before Wofe started spitting feathers.
The Lidl here is pretty good.
Wasn't the Co-op replaced by Home Bargains? Excellent if you shop
selectively. Their butter and cheese are good value, as are their pet
products. They have a very pleasant cider I've not seen anywhere else.
Sam Plusnet
2021-09-27 19:55:58 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
Something like that.
We went in once, didn't find anything interesting, & haven't been back.
As we're here on hols in the caravan, our shopping in mostly for easy
'bung in the oven, minimum preparation' meals - so we're not exactly a
standard customer - whatever that might be.

Chris
2021-09-25 20:27:22 UTC
[...]
I have also been told that now we have internet the ‘lower shelves” policy
has been abandoned. I blame the discounters personally. The supermarkets
were, but that was ore covid, losing sales so they simply went back to
piling high. I can’t go anywhere on my own but now McT has lost a bit of
height he is struggling to reach deep shelving at normal height.

Sulky Mrs McT
Jane Vernon
2021-09-24 10:36:17 UTC
Post by Kate B
Is anyone signed up to Octopus here? They seem relatively stable and not
likely to go out of business tomorrow (crossing fingers). I am trying to
sort out the house in Edinburgh which is currently with SSE who are
impossible to communicate with, but hopefully a switch is still
possible.  Are Octopus better at customer service?
Are there *any* suppliers who are good at customer service?
Zebra Power. Highly recommended. They are pleasant and super-helpful.
My Dad swapped to them a while ago and recommended them and a friend
followed my advice and swapped to them and has been delighted. They
have been extra helpful over my parents' account, which went from
standing order to unoccupied house and I would thoroughly recommend them
to anyone. They may even be able to work with the non-communication
with SSE.