OT: frozen yogurt
2021-06-24 13:21:52 UTC
On the grounds that Umrats Know Everything (TM), have any of you made
frozen yogurt and how? I imagine it isn't just a case of lobbing it into
the freezer but beating it up with something relevant. Helpful instructions
without an ice cream maker welcomed!
Axlegrease
2021-06-25 16:31:12 UTC
On the grounds that Umrats Know Everything (TM), have any of you made
frozen yogurt and how? I imagine it isn't just a case of lobbing it into
the freezer but beating it up with something relevant. Helpful instructions
without an ice cream maker welcomed!
I wouldn't pretend to know everything but I do know how _I_ use up leftover and/or over-ripe strawberries.

I. Rinse and hull the strawberries. Pat dry on a paper towel square.

2. Zap the strawberries to a purée in the blender

3. Add unflavoured, full fat Greek yogurt - 500ml to approx 250g fruit works well but precise amounts aren't critical. Blend yogurt and fruit until smooth and well mixed.
I have done this with low fat yogurt but it doesn't work as well; the end result seemed to be lacking in body or structure or something.

4. Transfer yogurt mixture into one large or several portion sized freezer containers, cover and put into freezer.

5. You can now just leave it to its own devices until frozen if you're happy with a very crystalline finished product. If you prefer a smoother dessert, resign yourself to removing it from the freezer after 45 minutes and beating the living daylights out of it with a fork/whisk/stick blender. Repeat this process every 30 mins until freezing is complete.

Personally, I like the texture of the crystals so I rarely bother with the whisking business (okay; I usually forget!).

Remove from the freezer to soften slightly about 40 minutes before you want to eat it. It's even more wonderful with a slosh of cassis poured over it.
PS. This is very refreshing if you substitute melon for strawberries.
Sally Thompson