R3 Shock!
Add Reply
Mike Ruddock
2018-11-19 10:20:02 UTC
From what he said this morning it is clear that Ian Skelly (the
presenter for this week of Essential Classics on R3) doesn't care for TA.
He made the telling remark when airing the old notion that B Britten may
have had Barwick Green as an earworm when writing his Simple Symphony.

Incidentally he pronounced the first part of the name as "Barrick"
whereas I always think of it as "Bar-wick".
Is there an accepted pronunciation?

Mike Ruddock
Mike
2018-11-19 10:37:17 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
From what he said this morning it is clear that Ian Skelly (the
presenter for this week of Essential Classics on R3) doesn't care for TA.
He made the telling remark when airing the old notion that B Britten may
have had Barwick Green as an earworm when writing his Simple Symphony.
Incidentally he pronounced the first part of the name as "Barrick"
whereas I always think of it as "Bar-wick".
Is there an accepted pronunciation?
Mike Ruddock
I pronounce it Barwick, HAND;-)
2018-11-19 18:32:42 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
From what he said this morning it is clear that Ian Skelly (the
presenter for this week of Essential Classics on R3) doesn't care for TA.
He made the telling remark when airing the old notion that B Britten may
have had Barwick Green as an earworm when writing his Simple Symphony.
Incidentally he pronounced the first part of the name as "Barrick"
whereas I always think of it as "Bar-wick".
Is there an accepted pronunciation?
Mike Ruddock
I only heard the music, not the intro.

2018-11-20 01:07:22 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
From what he said this morning it is clear that Ian Skelly (the
presenter for this week of Essential Classics on R3) doesn't care for TA.
He made the telling remark when airing the old notion that B Britten may
have had Barwick Green as an earworm when writing his Simple Symphony.
Incidentally he pronounced the first part of the name as "Barrick"
whereas I always think of it as "Bar-wick".
Is there an accepted pronunciation?
Privately - by which I mean out of earshot of anybody else - I pronounce
it Bar-wick because I think it sounds nicer that way but I say Barrick
when talking to anybody else because I suspect that's the way it's
supposed to sound.