Congratulations to the new OAPs
2019-09-20 08:42:04 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
Mike
2019-09-20 08:45:53 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
Of course, these days, ‘OAP dom’ can start at a variety of ages; mine was
conventional as I am a true ‘old git’ now.
2019-09-20 10:07:00 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
I've not heard of it, and neither has Wikipedia; what's the reference?
Post by Mike
Of course, these days, ‘OAP dom’ can start at a variety of ages; mine was
conventional as I am a true ‘old git’ now.
Yes, mine'll be 66-and-one-month. (Though I think my _company_ pension
defaults to 65 if I don't do anything about it. [Like the state one, I
can defer it and get more.])

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the war room!" (Dr. Strangelove)
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-09-20 10:09:52 UTC
On Friday, 20 September 2019 09:42:05 UTC+1, Vicky Ayech wrote:

<snipped>
Something like Ovaltine and Horlicks, I think.
Sid Nuncius
2019-09-20 18:31:31 UTC
What WAS Bengers?
What posh people had with mesh.

HTH
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-09-20 20:16:19 UTC
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
Penny
2019-09-20 21:30:19 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I believe I've been entitled to a bus pass (or a rail card* - not free)
for a few years now but as I live in Wales and it wouldn't work in England,
I haven't bothered.

*I think it can work as a bus pass too on some disjointed routes.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-09-20 21:35:52 UTC
Yes Penny, it's 4 separate schemes and I have had to pay in Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Vicky Ayech
2019-09-21 08:54:51 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:35:52 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Yes Penny, it's 4 separate schemes and I have had to pay in Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland.
I got very grumpy when we moved to Watford and I realised I was no
longer able to have the London pass, which covers trains and buses and
underground. 9 years after moving I finally applied for a local pass
here. I got a bus back from the station last week for the first time
and it was £2.50 for a 10 minute ride!
Anne B
2019-09-27 08:56:13 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Yes Penny, it's 4 separate schemes and I have had to pay in Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland.
And I have to pay in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

And on the Edinburgh trams because someone overlooked including the word
'tram' in the legislation and Edinburgh City Council decided the tram
would only be free to Edinburgh bus pass holders.

Anne B
Nick Odell
2019-09-27 12:36:20 UTC
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:56:13 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Yes Penny, it's 4 separate schemes and I have had to pay in Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland.
And I have to pay in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
And on the Edinburgh trams because someone overlooked including the word
'tram' in the legislation and Edinburgh City Council decided the tram
would only be free to Edinburgh bus pass holders.
I think my English National Bus Pass only allows me to use the buses
everywhere so I can't use the trams in Manchester nor the boats and
trains in London unless I pay. I suppose I ought to take steps to get
the definitive version on those and other regional variations but I
tend to stick to the buses where I can, anyway.

In London my motto goes along the lines of: There are some things the
ENBP can't buy. For everything else, there's OysterCard.

2019-09-21 08:15:41 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I believe I've been entitled to a bus pass (or a rail card* - not free)
for a few years now but as I live in Wales and it wouldn't work in England,
I haven't bothered.
*I think it can work as a bus pass too on some disjointed routes.
I can use my bus pass for a bus from Shropshire into Wales, but not return.
In theory I could just pay to the border on the return journey, then use
the bus pass, but since it's not a bus journey I have planned, I've never
tested it.
2019-09-21 09:45:52 UTC
On 21 Sep 2019 08:15:41 GMT, Sally Thompson
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I believe I've been entitled to a bus pass (or a rail card* - not free)
for a few years now but as I live in Wales and it wouldn't work in England,
I haven't bothered.
*I think it can work as a bus pass too on some disjointed routes.
I can use my bus pass for a bus from Shropshire into Wales, but not return.
In theory I could just pay to the border on the return journey, then use
the bus pass, but since it's not a bus journey I have planned, I've never
tested it.
Really?
AIUI a bus pass would allow me to travel to Shrewsbury and back free.
Getting down to the bus station to start the journey wouldn't be too much
of a problem but I think I'd need a taxi to get home from the bus station
at the end of the day. I don't manage steep hills well.
2019-09-21 09:58:57 UTC
[...]
An annual fee allows me to use my bus pass on the Newcastle Metro. The
fee would be half what I paid if I had a Tyne&Wear address.
Vicky Ayech
2019-09-21 10:32:45 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
Mike
2019-09-21 10:45:04 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
You must show your passport at Watford...
2019-09-21 17:58:40 UTC
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
If you have a Senior Railcard that needs to be registered against the
Oyster card at each renewal to get the OAP rate on t'Underground.
Rosalind Mitchell
2019-09-21 18:29:29 UTC
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
If you have a Senior Railcard that needs to be registered against the
Oyster card at each renewal to get the OAP rate on t'Underground.
That is useful to know. Thank you. I do have a Senior Railcard these
days and I have an Oyster Card with a few bob on it for the three times
a year I descend on the Big'n'Sinful for a few days. My business there
is confined to Euston/Bloomsbury and is entirely within walking distance
but leisure takes me further afield, especially as I've become fond of
dining at least one night amongst the Turkish eateries of Harringay.

I am still awaiting the pension I should have been collecting from
August 2014 but which has been stolen from me by successive
governments. I reckon that's theft of around GBP 50K myself. Last I
heard they may let me have my pension next May but I'll believe it when
I see it. Seems to be receding so fast you can see the red
shift. In England my bus pass was also denied to me but fortunately in
Scotland I have my Saltire card, which is quite a blessing.

Rosie
Vicky Ayech
2019-09-21 18:31:48 UTC
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
If you have a Senior Railcard that needs to be registered against the
Oyster card at each renewal to get the OAP rate on t'Underground.
I haven't got one of those. Are they free? If not will it be worth it
as I almost never use a train except into London.
krw
2019-09-21 19:02:57 UTC
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
If you have a Senior Railcard that needs to be registered against the
Oyster card at each renewal to get the OAP rate on t'Underground.
I haven't got one of those. Are they free? If not will it be worth it
as I almost never use a train except into London.
£70 for three years when I last renewed. Pretty sure I use it enough to
save £23 a year - I save about £8 nearly every time I go to London.
2019-09-22 13:01:41 UTC
Well, although I can't get free travel as am not in the London area, I
have an Oystercard and that does make it cheaper I believe than just
paying for each trip. And also it is easier and simple to top up from
a machine at the station or at home.
If you have a Senior Railcard that needs to be registered against the
Oyster card at each renewal to get the OAP rate on t'Underground.
And a Snr railcard costs £30 for one year, £70 for three

2019-09-21 10:22:34 UTC
[...]
It's the "and back" bit that's the difficulty, unless of course you can get
a return ticket which would solve the problem. AIUI, I have to start my
journey in England, but distance doesn't matter.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
I am told that I can get to Chepstow via Gloucester and Cheltenham and, so they say, back. But I have not tried it.
Mike
2019-09-21 14:41:26 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I believe I've been entitled to a bus pass (or a rail card* - not free)
for a few years now but as I live in Wales and it wouldn't work in England,
I haven't bothered.
*I think it can work as a bus pass too on some disjointed routes.
I can use my bus pass for a bus from Shropshire into Wales, but not return.
In theory I could just pay to the border on the return journey, then use
the bus pass, but since it's not a bus journey I have planned, I've never
tested it.
I am told that I can get to Chepstow via Gloucester and Cheltenham and,
so they say, back. But I have not tried it.
I suppose if they have a bus service there, one can go to Hell and back;-)
2019-09-21 14:49:59 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
I am told that I can get to Chepstow via Gloucester and Cheltenham and,
so they say, back. But I have not tried it.
I suppose if they have a bus service there, one can go to Hell and back;-)
I'm sure that there is - Norwegians are pretty good at that sort of thing.
2019-09-21 15:08:17 UTC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway
2019-09-21 16:59:33 UTC
[...]
Isn't the usual method of transport a handcart?

[Brexit reference redacted]

2019-09-21 12:09:10 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I believe I've been entitled to a bus pass (or a rail card* - not free)
for a few years now but as I live in Wales and it wouldn't work in England,
I haven't bothered.
*I think it can work as a bus pass too on some disjointed routes.
Yes a railcard works in local authorities where they have inclusive
transport plans. Yorkshire and TFL are what I know of.

2019-09-21 17:56:38 UTC
On 20/9/19 21:16, Tony Smith Gloucestershire wrote; my response is lower
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
So do you have new bus passes? Where will you go? I go to Oxford now and then.
I have one which I may use the next time I go the hospital, but if it is
a nice day and I have the time the walk is good for me.
2019-09-20 20:16:12 UTC
What WAS Bengers?
What posh people had with mesh.
HTH
Oh - the people for whom sex was what coal came in?

Sarcasm: Barbed ire
steveski
2019-09-20 23:18:49 UTC
What WAS Bengers?
What posh people had with mesh.
HTH
Oh - the people for whom sex was what coal came in?
And a crêche is what happens when a Rolls-Royce collides with a Bentley.
On the way to the Railing Stains concert
Penny
2019-09-21 14:04:58 UTC
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:56:16 +0100, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
What WAS Bengers?
What posh people had with mesh.
HTH
Oh - the people for whom sex was what coal came in?
And a crêche is what happens when a Rolls-Royce collides with a Bentley.
On the way to the Railing Stains concert
Are these the people who live in a hice?
2019-09-20 20:22:00 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:31:31 +0100, Sid Nuncius
:)
Penny
2019-09-20 10:20:28 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:42:04 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
Benger's Food - I suspect it was a high protein drink like Complan or any
number of 'sports' supplements. It amused me when I realised the same stuff
was being marketed for the old and/or feeble and the young and very active.

The entry in ‘Family Doctor’ (1938) described Benger's thus:-

”As it contains a very small quantity of fat, Benger’s Food is made with
milk to make good the deficiency. It is a mixture of wheat-flour and an
extract containing the digestive ferments of the pancreatic juice. When a
mixture of the food with milk is kept at blood heat, these juices partly
digest the proteins of the milk and the food, and convert the starch in the
food into sugar.

This action may be allowed to go on for five to forty-five minutes, and in
the end there may be very little starch remaining unconverted. This makes
it a very suitable food for babies and invalids. According to the time
allowed for preparation, the milk mixture may be graded to the capacity of
the child. As the baby grows, and its own pancreatic juice comes into
operation, less time will be required.”

So if you keep it warm for long enough it provides pre-digested wheat and
milk.
2019-09-20 12:15:52 UTC
[...]
I wonder what that does/did for the wheat and lactose intolerant!

2019-09-20 12:20:51 UTC
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Best if they joined a choir so they could then be ‘Watching the wheat’.

Sorry, I’ll get my cassock...
2019-09-20 14:11:02 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:15:52 GMT, Chris McMillan
[...]
Probably killed them off.
2019-09-21 12:09:09 UTC
[...]
Exactly - too close to home to contemplate with both grandchildren lactose
intolerant. Hazel wasn’t noticeably born with either intolerance though
with hindsight possibly lactose from her today descriptions with the wheat
and nut arriving in childhood,

2019-09-20 15:08:58 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
The next stage will be to sign up for the course in wearing purple
distastefully and umbrella wielding whilst wearing hearing aids that are
squealing with feedback and causing the need to shout very loudly -
especially in the library, doctor’s surgeries and A&E departments.
2019-09-20 15:12:47 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
The next stage will be to sign up for the course in wearing purple
distastefully and umbrella wielding whilst wearing hearing aids that are
squealing with feedback and causing the need to shout very loudly -
especially in the library, doctor’s surgeries and A&E departments.
‘Onest, none of this has anything to do with t’other half signing up for
NHS hearing aids at the moment, oh no, not at all - I know which side of my
crust the dripping is spread on...;-)
2019-09-21 12:09:09 UTC
You made it! Things could have been worse :).
Should we have a little celebration? Maybe extra rations from the
chocolate bunker and a cup of Bengers?
What WAS Bengers? I don't recall anyone I know having it. Do they
still make it?
The next stage will be to sign up for the course in wearing purple
distastefully and umbrella wielding whilst wearing hearing aids that are
squealing with feedback and causing the need to shout very loudly -
especially in the library, doctor’s surgeries and A&E departments.
‘Onest, none of this has anything to do with t’other half signing up for
NHS hearing aids at the moment, oh no, not at all - I know which side of my
crust the dripping is spread on...;-)
Not much it hasn’t. :).