Barwick Green as I imagine _most_ will never have heard it ...
2021-01-12 23:23:50 UTC
... and more of it than usual (may even be all of it):

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.
It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)
Nick Odell
2021-01-13 00:05:09 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?

2021-01-13 05:06:46 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 00:05:09, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
I think so; the whole clip is 2'08".

I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube; I couldn't find a Barwick Green one, but it's only a matter of
time, I expect!

... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just
about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and
embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio
Times 9-15 March 2013
Sid Nuncius
2021-01-13 06:15:14 UTC
I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube;
Here a Min, theremin
Everywhere a Min, Min...

I'll get me snipper riffle.
--
Sid
2021-01-13 08:22:12 UTC
I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube;
Here a Min, theremin
Everywhere a Min, Min...
I'll get me snipper riffle.
‘Hands that do swishes’.
2021-01-13 08:44:35 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube;
Here a Min, theremin
Everywhere a Min, Min...
I'll get me snipper riffle.
‘Hands that do swishes’.
No, it's Hans that does dishes is as soft as Yervaise with mild green
hairy lip squid.
Mike McMillan
2021-01-13 09:38:43 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube;
Here a Min, theremin
Everywhere a Min, Min...
I'll get me snipper riffle.
‘Hands that do swishes’.
No, it's Hans that does dishes is as soft as Yervaise with mild green
hairy lip squid.
Has Yervaise ever tried to play the Theremin???
2021-01-13 08:21:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
I think so; the whole clip is 2'08".
I've recently found there's an explosion of theremin performances on
YouTube; I couldn't find a Barwick Green one, but it's only a matter of
time, I expect!
I once had a plan to build a theremin but, I could not obtain the very
finely wound coils required from the USA (this was in the early sixties).
Very difficult to wind by hand as it was thousands of turns of very fine
SWG on a special former. I gave up on being able to build it in the end.
2021-01-13 22:17:50 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 08:21:08, Mike McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
I once had a plan to build a theremin but, I could not obtain the very
finely wound coils required from the USA (this was in the early sixties).
Very difficult to wind by hand as it was thousands of turns of very fine
SWG on a special former. I gave up on being able to build it in the end.
I would imagine modern electronics would find different ways - either
using op-amps to simulate the inductors, or a completely different
detection method.

I looked - briefly - at ready-built ones the other day; I got the
impression they start around $400. (There is one around $100, but that
only has frequency control, not amplitude, so more a toy.) I didn't look
into kits - I'd definitely consider that, which should cut the cost a
lot.

The Fairy Liquid piece itself would swish well, I think.

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Nick Odell
2021-01-13 14:05:54 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
I think so; the whole clip is 2'08".
<snip>
I asked because I played the video twice and couldn't really work it
out. Everything was so legato and quantised that I found it quite hard
work. Very amusing though.

2021-01-13 22:19:52 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
I think so; the whole clip is 2'08".
<snip>
I asked because I played the video twice and couldn't really work it
out. Everything was so legato and quantised that I found it quite hard
work. Very amusing though.
Nick
Ah; glad someone else found it hard to tell! I rather weaselled out with
my above answer. There are certainly bits other than those in the main
VW-left segment.

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Clive Arthur
2021-01-13 10:10:44 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
Don't think so, there's no

Bum bum bum bum, biddle biddle boo
Bum bum bum bum, biddle biddle boo
etc
--
Cheers
Clive
krw
2021-01-13 11:55:36 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
Yes.
Clive Arthur
2021-01-13 15:21:23 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
Yes.

I thought 1:44 was the doom music?
--
Cheers
Clive
Nick Odell
2021-01-13 19:08:19 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 15:21:23 +0000, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Nick Odell
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 23:23:50 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Is the Doom Music in there?
Nick
Yes.
http://youtu.be/2NKtyp6pqUQ
I thought 1:44 was the doom music?
That was my understanding too. It's the introductory bars which have
been brought bach (TWATBILI) and played more forcefully, no? I can't
really detect that in the Blob Opera version.

It's 2.12sec in on this 1925 recording by the composer:

2021-01-13 17:23:43 UTC
http://youtu.be/Pj6RTNJJeVI
Oh brilliant. I've had a go at Blob Opera, great fun but I didn't get that
skilled!