Windows10 and Thunderbird
2019-09-24 17:50:48 UTC
Especially newsgroups...

Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message? And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?

I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
2019-09-24 17:59:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?
Yes!
2019-09-24 21:22:01 UTC
Post by Kate B
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to
the next unread message?
Yes!
No.
2019-09-24 18:09:37 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
Unfortunately :(
The burden of the self is lightened when I laugh at myself.
(Rabindranath Tagore)
John Ashby
2019-09-24 18:15:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
Spacebar seems happy enough with 68.1.0 on Fedora, Can't find out what
"f" should do.

2019-09-24 22:18:32 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to
the next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
Spacebar seems happy enough with 68.1.0 on Fedora, Can't find out what
"f" should do.
john
'f' is supposed to go to the next message, whether unread or not.
2019-09-25 05:05:41 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to
the next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
Spacebar seems happy enough with 68.1.0 on Fedora, Can't find out what
"f" should do.
john
'f' is supposed to go to the next message, whether unread or not.
Ah, that works as well.

2019-09-25 06:15:26 UTC
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
constantly singing it mentally:

(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]

[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
2019-09-25 08:02:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like

Sid Nuncius
2019-09-25 08:12:03 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like
http://youtu.be/kQZV6q00sUc
Nice - thanks, Vicky.

Here, have another numbered car song I've always liked like:

2019-09-25 09:43:58 UTC
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:12:03 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like
http://youtu.be/kQZV6q00sUc
Nice - thanks, Vicky.
http://youtu.be/xKKP_cZuk54
Didn't know this one, but they did anotehr car one that I did know

Sid Nuncius
2019-09-25 09:49:34 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like
http://youtu.be/kQZV6q00sUc
Nice - thanks, Vicky.
http://youtu.be/xKKP_cZuk54
Didn't know this one, but they did anotehr car one that I did know
http://youtu.be/MHuIEl2-lzs
Classic. As is Little Deuce Coupe.
Steve Hague
2019-09-26 10:29:16 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like
http://youtu.be/kQZV6q00sUc
Nice - thanks, Vicky.
http://youtu.be/xKKP_cZuk54
Didn't know this one, but they did anotehr car one that I did know
http://youtu.be/MHuIEl2-lzs
Couldn't get the link to work, but Mustang Ford, Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Sid Nuncius
2019-09-26 05:39:20 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just need to say that this thread has given me a serious earworm.
I've read or thought "Mozilla Thunderbird" so often recently that I'm
http://youtu.be/1-JZFxpuEnw
(I think this is bad. If I were ever to take a stroll in Memphis, I'd
be doomed..)[1]
[1]There'll be an umrat somewhere who knows what I mean.
I didn't know but I did go and listen and enjoyed it.
Here
have a car song i like
http://youtu.be/kQZV6q00sUc
Nice - thanks, Vicky.
http://youtu.be/xKKP_cZuk54
Or a folk one
http://youtu.be/8RtaCYzk5VQ
Gosh, I've not heard that for a long, long while.

I think a thread about favourite car songs could be a long one so I'll
stop after this, but somerats may enjoy Chris Smither's brilliant
minor-key take on Maybelline:

2019-09-26 08:09:57 UTC
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 06:39:20 +0100, Sid Nuncius
On 25/09/2019 10:49, Vicky Ay
I think a thread about favourite car songs could be a long one so I'll
stop after this, but somerats may enjoy Chris Smither's brilliant
http://youtu.be/eVT-8QfqJf4
Oh yes, thank you.
Nothing wrong with a thread on car songs. We have all sorts of long
threads.
Sid Nuncius
2019-09-26 09:13:52 UTC
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 06:39:20 +0100, Sid Nuncius
On 25/09/2019 10:49, Vicky Ay
I think a thread about favourite car songs could be a long one so I'll
stop after this, but somerats may enjoy Chris Smither's brilliant
http://youtu.be/eVT-8QfqJf4
Oh yes, thank you.
Nothing wrong with a thread on car songs. We have all sorts of long
threads.
Oh, all right then, if you insist. Here's a small selection of faves
that spring to mind:

Pink Cadillac - Natalie Cole

Little Red Corvette - Prince (which I sing every time I chop up a courgette)

Somethin' Else - Eddie Cochran
("My car's out front and it's all mine
It's a '41 Ford not a '59..." Genius.
This is two minutes of pop perfection, IMO.)

Racing In The Street - Bruce Springsteen

Cruisin' In The Lincoln - Eddie & The Hot Rods

2019-09-26 11:14:15 UTC
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:13:52 +0100, Sid Nuncius
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 06:39:20 +0100, Sid Nuncius
On 25/09/2019 10:49, Vicky Ay
I think a thread about favourite car songs could be a long one so I'll
stop after this, but somerats may enjoy Chris Smither's brilliant
http://youtu.be/eVT-8QfqJf4
Oh yes, thank you.
Nothing wrong with a thread on car songs. We have all sorts of long
threads.
Oh, all right then, if you insist. Here's a small selection of faves
Pink Cadillac - Natalie Cole
http://youtu.be/WCRumaMqgZU
I liked the car best. Pink!
Post by Sid Nuncius
Little Red Corvette - Prince (which I sing every time I chop up a courgette)
http://youtu.be/v0KpfrJE4zw
Prefer this to the last song, but not the car
Post by Sid Nuncius
Somethin' Else - Eddie Cochran
("My car's out front and it's all mine
It's a '41 Ford not a '59..." Genius.
This is two minutes of pop perfection, IMO.)
http://youtu.be/mgQg4ze1_KU
Loved Eddie Cochran.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Racing In The Street - Bruce Springsteen
http://youtu.be/ZOWIAXsfZus
Nice.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Cruisin' In The Lincoln - Eddie & The Hot Rods
http://youtu.be/OX_i9YqbNr4
:)

They actually built one.

And another classic

and

Vicky Ayech
2019-09-26 11:20:08 UTC
[...]
I can't stop and B is suggesting this

Mike
2019-09-26 11:01:54 UTC
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 06:39:20 +0100, Sid Nuncius
On 25/09/2019 10:49, Vicky Ay
I think a thread about favourite car songs could be a long one so I'll
stop after this, but somerats may enjoy Chris Smither's brilliant
http://youtu.be/eVT-8QfqJf4
Oh yes, thank you.
Nothing wrong with a thread on car songs. We have all sorts of long
threads.
You should be a little more careful with those zips when you are both in
the back seat...
https://www.google.com/search?q=convoy+song+you+tube&oq=convoy+song+you+tube&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.4671j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Sid Nuncius
2019-09-24 18:37:26 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
Yes. Happened a few updates ago. Pain in the bum.
HTH.
2019-09-25 00:27:57 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
No, works fine for me on an up-to-date Win 10 laptop with TB 60.9.0
(32-bit).

I think I might try TB 68 on waife's laptop befpre I mess mine up :/
Anne B
2019-09-27 09:12:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message? And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.

Can anyone advise?

Anne B
krw
2019-09-27 09:25:36 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
Anne B
File New Message

If you are in umra it populates "Newsgroup" instead of "To" as it does
for email.

new thread awaited.
2019-09-27 09:45:57 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message?  And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
Anne B
File New Message
If you are in umra it populates "Newsgroup" instead of "To" as it does
for email.
new thread awaited.
Also if you have one the "write" button does the same thing.

john
Anne B
2019-09-27 11:02:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Especially newsgroups...
Does anyone else find that the spacebar doesn't reliably send you to the
next unread message? And that 'f' doesn't work either in newsgroups?
I seem to have got TB 68.1-US, I think it must have been the default
when I installed it on the new laptop last week. I've now got the GB
version setup downloaded but haven't yet acquired the courage or the
tuit to install it.
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
Anne B
File New Message
If you are in umra it populates "Newsgroup" instead of "To" as it does
for email.
new thread awaited.
Thank you, but I don't have 'File' anywhwere on my screen ATM. You may
have to wait a little longer.

Anne B
Serena Blanchflower
2019-09-27 12:18:52 UTC
Post by Anne B
Thank you, but I don't have 'File' anywhwere on my screen ATM. You may
have to wait a little longer.
Write click next to the tab on the top bar and tick "Menu Bar" to
acquire a menu bar, which will contain a "File" tab. If you want to
have a write-button, you can get one by selecting "View" and then
"Customise".
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
it on, I go to the library and read a good book (Groucho Marx)
John Ashby
2019-09-27 12:21:21 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by krw
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
[...]
Right click in the top of the TB window should bring up a pop-up which
allows you to select to display various toolbars. "File" and "Message"
appear on the Menu bar, the "Write" button appears on the Mail bar.
CTRL-N isn't on any toolbar, but will work without them.

Ctl-N for New message.
Sid Nuncius
2019-09-27 17:58:42 UTC
Post by Anne B
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
While in umra, I click "Write" in the bar at the top of TB (the same
button I use when writing a new email in an email account). That brings
up a message window with a blank subject which you fill in to start your
thread.

HTH
Anne B
2019-09-27 19:46:16 UTC
Post by Anne B
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
While in umra, I click "Write" in the bar at the top of TB (the same
button I use when writing a new email in an email account). That brings
up a message window with a blank subject which you fill in to start your
thread.
HTH
Thanks, all. I discover that the toolbar at the top, with 'File' on it,
disappears every time I shut TB down, but F10 restores it, albeit only
until I shut it down again.

Anne B
Penny
2019-09-28 09:57:47 UTC
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 20:46:16 +0100, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Anne B
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Anne B
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
While in umra, I click "Write" in the bar at the top of TB (the same
button I use when writing a new email in an email account). That brings
up a message window with a blank subject which you fill in to start your
thread.
HTH
Thanks, all. I discover that the toolbar at the top, with 'File' on it,
disappears every time I shut TB down, but F10 restores it, albeit only
until I shut it down again.
There may be a preference you can set to display it all the time.
2019-09-28 10:48:28 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Anne B
While on the subject, I am completely unable to see how to start a new
thread using TB.
Can anyone advise?
While in umra, I click "Write" in the bar at the top of TB (the same
button I use when writing a new email in an email account). That brings
up a message window with a blank subject which you fill in to start your
thread.
HTH
Thanks, all. I discover that the toolbar at the top, with 'File' on it,
disappears every time I shut TB down, but F10 restores it, albeit only
until I shut it down again.
There may be a preference you can set to display it all the time.
An ‘always open’ window is fine in the summer....