Thunderbird help needed
Add Reply
Jane Vernon
2020-06-20 12:53:24 UTC
I've just bought a lovely new laptop. I copied my Thunderbird profile
into Roaming and then downloaded Thunderbird. All done, I thought. Oh
no it isn't. This is a seriously serious problem. The whole point of
buying a new laptop was to be able to access my email when away visiting
as the old one was using a different version of Windows and Thunderbird
would no longer co-operate. I got this message:

"Changes to your Thunderbird profile
What changed?

This installation of Thunderbird has a new profile. A profile is the set
of files where Thunderbird saves information such as email data,
passwords, user preferences, and address books.

In order to make it easier and safer to switch between installations of
Thunderbird (including Thunderbird, Thunderbird Beta, and Thunderbird
Daily), this installation now has a dedicated profile. It does not
automatically share your saved information with other Thunderbird
installations.

You have not lost any personal data or customizations. If you’ve already
saved information to Thunderbird on this computer, it is still available
in another Thunderbird installation.
What are my options?

If you do nothing, your profile data in Thunderbird will be different
from profile data in other installations of Thunderbird."

It doesn't tell me what I can do to keep my existing profile on this new
machine. There are two articles to read, which don't make any sense to
me at all.

Can anyone explain in simple terms how I fix it?
--
Jane
BTME

2020-06-20 13:02:15 UTC
[...]
Sorry, can't help much as I don't use TB for email, but it sounds like
it doesn;t recognise the path where you have stored your old profile.
You can try to change the path, or just change the new profile to look
the same as your old one. I suspect the first will be better if you have
data stored in the same dir'y.

Good luck.
Kate B
2020-06-20 14:08:27 UTC
[...]
Have replied on FB, but more thoughts - have you still got access to the
old computer? I find MozBackup still the most reliable way of
transferring profiles. Just rememeber there may be two profiles in the
folder, if there are, you need the one called default-release (or the
larger)
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php
2020-06-20 14:18:16 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Was your old profile fully updated to the latest version of TB? If so I
think you can just replace the newly-installed profile with the old one.
But MozBackup knows what to do.
Jane Vernon
2020-06-20 14:51:23 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Hurray! I didn't, but eventually it did when I asked to restore my
backup to the default-release profile. Thank you very much.
--
Jane
BTME

2020-06-22 12:56:35 UTC
Hurray!  I didn't, but eventually it did when I asked to restore my
backup to the default-release profile.  Thank you very much.
Glad it is solved. I moved my profile from old desktop to network
drives before the change of desktop but the delays on moving around
mailboxes and so was simply not acceptable. I left the profile there.
Did the PC change and then moved the mailbox onto the new machine and
edited all of the various pointers to the right profile name and it all
eventually came back online - but it was a little nervous as I had
expected it to recognise the "old" profile and it just did not want to
do that!
2020-06-20 14:57:46 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 15:08:27, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
[]
Post by Kate B
Have replied on FB, but more thoughts - have you still got access to
the old computer? I find MozBackup still the most reliable way of
transferring profiles. Just rememeber there may be two profiles in the
folder, if there are, you need the one called default-release (or the
larger)
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php
Thanks for link: I see it's still the version - 1.5.1 - I downloaded
2011-7-12. Which is reassuring - though the page does have at the top
"MozBackup is not being developed anymore. There are known issues and
there is no time on my side to fix all issues and develop new features.
Use MozBackup only on your risk. Thanks for understanding. Source code
is available on GitHub." Given the breakneck speed of Firefox
development (Thunderbird is mostly Firefox code underneath, with more or
less the same update rate), I wonder if MozBackup still works with the
latest TB.

[If anyone wants, I see I have 1.5.2-beta1, which I downloaded 2018-2-27
(though it may be much older than that); I've no idea if it works. It's
not mentioned on the above site. (Actually that's a .zip, so I can look
inside - it's from 2012.)]

Because of the pace of change, I've stopped at Thunderbird 52.9.1, which
apparently is the last that a lot of popular plugins works with; I don't
actually use Thunderbird, but it's probably what I will switch to if I
ever do need to switch, and I have lots of notes from others on how to
knock it into shape. Which probably use old plugins.

"Offer me a drink." "It's six o'clock in the morning!" "Then float a Cheerio
in it." - Franks and Gibbs, NCIS
Kate B
2020-06-20 15:26:20 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
As I said above, I still use MozBackup and it works as perfectly as it
did when I first started with Thunderbird in around 2012. Most recently,
I transferred over 3 GB of database from a staggering Win7 machine to a
new Win10 machine without problems. TB on release channel, fully updated.