Peggy's paramour
2019-02-06 19:48:06 UTC
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do
l feel that the world must live up to mine (Fritz Perl)
Dumrat
2019-02-07 05:03:52 UTC
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at The Laurels, and
been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was Leonard, if that's
what you're getting at! But I am attempting to reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could
easily be a meringue!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-07 12:47:06 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest
(Mark Twain)
Mike
2019-02-07 12:48:40 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
2019-02-07 12:57:31 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
She took some evening classes on enamelling - making jewellery; I think
it was the type where you separate the surface of the jewellery pieces
with fine wire, so you can pour the different coloured enamels into the
different sections thus created: there's a name for it that (of course)
I forget.

Someone - was it Helen? - around the same time was meeting someone and
didn't want the world to know (I can't remember whether it was a
clandestine affair, or just one she didn't want known about for more
normal reasons), and pretended to be going to enamelling lessons too;
caught out when people wanted to see the results, to the extent that she
had to buy some hand-made jewellery of that type.

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to
be doing at the moment. -Robert Benchley, humorist, drama critic, and actor
(1889-1945)
Jim Easterbrook
Gesundheit.
Mike
2019-02-07 13:22:28 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
She took some evening classes on enamelling - making jewellery; I think
it was the type where you separate the surface of the jewellery pieces
with fine wire, so you can pour the different coloured enamels into the
different sections thus created: there's a name for it that (of course)
I forget.
Cloisonné.
Gesundheit.
Here, have a tissue both, of you!
Come again ?
Mike
2019-02-07 13:35:38 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
She took some evening classes on enamelling - making jewellery; I think
it was the type where you separate the surface of the jewellery pieces
with fine wire, so you can pour the different coloured enamels into the
different sections thus created: there's a name for it that (of course)
I forget.
Cloisonné.
Gesundheit.
Here, have a tissue both, of you!
Come again ?
You want another tissue then?
2019-02-07 13:27:17 UTC
Someone - was it Helen? - around the same time was meeting someone and
didn't want the world to know (I can't remember whether it was a
clandestine affair, or just one she didn't want known about for more
normal reasons), and pretended to be going to enamelling lessons too;
caught out when people wanted to see the results, to the extent that she
had to buy some hand-made jewellery of that type.
That was in the early months of Helen's affair with Rob. I'm not sure
that the jewellery she was enamelled though - I think hers was just
described as jewellery making.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no
point in being a damn fool about it (W. C. Fields)
Mike
2019-02-07 13:30:32 UTC
Someone - was it Helen? - around the same time was meeting someone and
didn't want the world to know (I can't remember whether it was a
clandestine affair, or just one she didn't want known about for more
normal reasons), and pretended to be going to enamelling lessons too;
caught out when people wanted to see the results, to the extent that she
had to buy some hand-made jewellery of that type.
That was in the early months of Helen's affair with Rob. I'm not sure
that the jewellery she was enamelled though - I think hers was just
described as jewellery making.
The example she then showed to people and passed off as her own work, was
actually something she had bought at a craft fayre.
Nick Leverton
2019-02-07 13:13:04 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
It's so underground, even the Urban Dictionary hasn't heard of it ...

2019-02-07 13:19:57 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
It's so underground, even the Urban Dictionary hasn't heard of it ...
I made the mistake of looking up Danny Dyer's use of the cockney term
smudge for a photograph. :(
Mike
2019-02-07 13:21:20 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
It's so underground, even the Urban Dictionary hasn't heard of it ...
Nick
I’m beginning to think that ‘enamelling’ just meant enamelling in this
instance -just my suspicious mind, (oops! Sorry Sid, that’s your earworm
sorted fora day or two...)
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-02-07 14:09:54 UTC
<snipped>
But the American spelling of "enamelled" is in the UD, meaning "very drunk"
SODAM
2019-02-07 13:31:47 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I’m sure I should know the meaning behind the term ‘enamelling’ but ...
It means “namelling online”.
HTH
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Dumrat
2019-02-07 13:17:48 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at The Laurels, and
been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was Leonard, if that's
what you're getting at! But I am attempting to reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could
easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering about).  In a similar
discussion, in another place, someone has said that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was
interested in enamelling.
Asagai, now I remember. You can probably find his Ted Talk on You Tube.
Chris McMillan
2019-02-07 15:37:52 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've been trying to remember the name of Peggy's one time paramour, at
The Laurels, and been wondering if he's still around, as a volunteer...
ISTR it was a "T" name - Tim or Tom, perhaps? I don't *think* it was
Leonard, if that's what you're getting at! But I am attempting to
reverse my Alzheimer's Lite, so I could easily be a meringue!
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
Indeed it was Ted and his enamelling. I seem to remember he had just lost
his wife ........

2019-02-07 15:45:38 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about). In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
Indeed it was Ted and his enamelling. I seem to remember he had just lost
his wife ........
Sincerely Chris
And it wasn't long after Peggy lost Jack, so it seemed a good match.

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-07 16:03:56 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about).  In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
Indeed it was Ted and his enamelling.  I seem to remember he had just
lost
his wife ........
Sincerely Chris
And it wasn't long after Peggy lost Jack, so it seemed a good match.
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left. IIRC, Ted had either
recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a shell of
the person he had loved.
When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-02-07 16:21:22 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about).  In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
Indeed it was Ted and his enamelling.  I seem to remember he had
just lost
his wife ........
Sincerely Chris
And it wasn't long after Peggy lost Jack, so it seemed a good match.
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left. IIRC, Ted had either
recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a shell
of the person he had loved.
Yes, I think you're right.

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
carolet
2019-02-08 17:10:54 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about).  In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I believe he gave Peggy and Jill a few enamelling lessons.
Indeed it was Ted and his enamelling.  I seem to remember he had just
lost
his wife ........
Sincerely Chris
And it wasn't long after Peggy lost Jack, so it seemed a good match.
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had either
recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a shell of
the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
2019-02-08 18:33:46 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
User error: replace user and press any key to continue.
Mike
2019-02-08 18:48:54 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
That’s as I remember it too. Did Jack remain in The Laurels for some time
after Arnold Peters shrugged off his mortal coil - or was that another
actor who’s part continued for some time?
2019-02-08 18:52:56 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
That’s as I remember it too. Did Jack remain in The Laurels for some time
after Arnold Peters shrugged off his mortal coil - or was that another
actor who’s part continued for some time?
Blimey, that's some trick if you can pull it off fnarr fnarr.

YAJeffBezosAICM5Dickpix from Mr Pecker

(more nominative determinism Laura)
LFS
2019-02-08 19:22:21 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
That’s as I remember it too. Did Jack remain in The Laurels for some time
after  Arnold Peters shrugged off his mortal coil - or was that another
actor who’s part continued for some time?
Blimey, that's some trick if you can pull it off fnarr fnarr.
YAJeffBezosAICM5Dickpix from Mr Pecker
(more nominative determinism Laura)
<grin>

I think there's a Roger involved as well.
There usually is :)
Serena Blanchflower
2019-02-08 19:14:22 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
That’s as I remember it too. Did Jack remain in The Laurels for some time
after Arnold Peters shrugged off his mortal coil - or was that another
actor who’s part continued for some time?
Yes, he did. That seems to be the norm for TA, like both Phil and
Caroline. I think the only exception I can think of was Julia but I
think that was because she died suddenly, when she was in the middle of
a storyline which had to be rapidly rewritten.
If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
conclusion. (George Bernard Shaw)
krw
2019-02-11 11:27:04 UTC
I'm pretty sure it was before Peggy lost Jack completely, although by
then there wasn't much of the man she loved left.  IIRC, Ted had
either recently lost his wife or, like Peggy, was regularly visiting a
shell of the person he had loved.
Yes. Wasn't his wife called Violet? And didn't Jack and Violet have a
tendency to sit holding hands in the common room, thus upsetting Peggy?
Yes, I'd forgotten that but I think you're right.
That’s as I remember it too. Did Jack remain in The Laurels for some time
after Arnold Peters shrugged off his mortal coil - or was that another
actor who’s part continued for some time?
Jack went to the Willows, not the Laurels. The latter was not geared up
for dementia. The Willows was.
2019-02-11 11:40:38 UTC
Jack went to the Willows, not the Laurels.  The latter was not geared up
for dementia.  The Willows was.
I'm pretty sure that he was in The Laurels for the last few years of his
life. His stay in The Willows was only for a month or two, when Peggy
had his stroke and Lilian and Matt found they couldn't cope with looking
after him. Peggy sprung him from there, as soon as she was home and
able to resume his care.
Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an
offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost
of which should be shared by the community. (Aneurin Bevan)
Chris McMillan
2019-02-12 09:24:14 UTC
Jack went to the Willows, not the Laurels.  The latter was not geared up
for dementia.  The Willows was.
I'm pretty sure that he was in The Laurels for the last few years of his
life. His stay in The Willows was only for a month or two, when Peggy
had his stroke and Lilian and Matt found they couldn't cope with looking
after him. Peggy sprung him from there, as soon as she was home and
able to resume his care.
Don’t remember the Willows, definitely The Laurels.

2019-02-12 09:51:04 UTC
Jack went to the Willows, not the Laurels.  The latter was not geared up
for dementia.  The Willows was.
I'm pretty sure that he was in The Laurels for the last few years of his
life. His stay in The Willows was only for a month or two, when Peggy
had his stroke and Lilian and Matt found they couldn't cope with looking
after him. Peggy sprung him from there, as soon as she was home and
able to resume his care.
Don’t remember the Willows, definitely The Laurels.
Sincerely Chris
And he rested on them for the rest of his natural.
2019-02-12 10:08:14 UTC
Jack went to the Willows, not the Laurels.  The latter was not geared up
for dementia.  The Willows was.
Don’t remember the Willows,
Nor did Jack.
2019-02-12 10:13:05 UTC
Don’t remember the Willows,
Nor did Jack.
What a pity you're now the BTM, Sid!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-02-14 13:16:02 UTC
It seems to the BTM that for a BTN to be accepted, the submitted
1. fresh
2. witty
3. wince-inducing
4. distinct from Mere Vulgarity, which is a separate art-form.
And the greatest of these is the 3rd.
I think 2 and 3 equal. I thought maybe this one had been turned down
because it wasn't 2 enough, but BTM has explained that it failed 1
because we'd already had one (which I'd not seen) on the subject [of
Lizzie's possible suicide]. (Maybe criterion 1 would be better expressed
as "original".)
You're doing a grand job, BTM!
+n.

@jpeg_G6
--------

Do you dislike petitions? See 255soft.uk; #fairpetitions
--
How about a three-way referendum with second choices being taken into
account?

As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep
an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the
soul from desiccation. - Humphrey Lyttelton quoted by Barry Cryer in Radio
Times 10-16 November 2012
Mike
2019-02-09 01:46:13 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about).  In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I believe he gave Peggy and Jill a few enamelling lessons.
Fnarr, fnarr . . .

Is it like plating? [1]

Steveski

John Ashby
2019-02-09 06:07:42 UTC
Yes, I think you're right (and yes, it was Leonard I was wondering
about).  In a similar discussion, in another place, someone has said
that Peggy's friend was Ted - and he was interested in enamelling.
I believe he gave Peggy and Jill a few enamelling lessons.
Fnarr, fnarr . . .
Is it like plating? [1]
Steveski
[1] There's a really old phrase - anyone grokk it? :-)
Yes, I nearly wrote the same thing, but restrained myself.

2019-02-09 10:17:52 UTC
I believe he gave Peggy and Jill a few enamelling lessons.
Fnarr, fnarr . . .
Is it like plating? [1]
[1] There's a really old phrase - anyone grokk it? :-)
Yes, I nearly wrote the same thing, but restrained myself.
I say - steady on! Chacun a son gout and all that, John, but this is a
family newsgroup and it's well before 9pm.
2019-02-09 10:39:36 UTC
I believe he gave Peggy and Jill a few enamelling lessons.
Fnarr, fnarr . . .
Is it like plating? [1]
[1] There's a really old phrase - anyone grokk it? :-)
Yes, I nearly wrote the same thing, but restrained myself.
I say - steady on! Chacun a son gout and all that, John, but this is a
family newsgroup and it's well before 9pm.
Well, I hope you weren’t listening to the Farming Today programme this
morning, bovine anatomical details and toilets at that time of the morning
- and we hadn’t even had our breakfast at that time!
Self whoosh ???
Mike