testing
2020-09-15 18:37:03 UTC
Is there anybody there?
2020-09-15 18:38:01 UTC
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:37:03 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
2020-09-15 18:42:45 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
No, nobody here but us chickens ...

By the very definition of "news," we hear very little about the dominant
threats to our lives, and the most about the rarest, including terror.
"LibertyMcG" alias Brian P. McGlinchey, 2013-7-23
krw
2020-09-15 19:04:03 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
No, nobody here but us chickens ...
Why did you cross the road?
2020-09-16 18:30:15 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
No, nobody here but us chickens ...
Why did you cross the road?
I didn't; I haven't opened either door today. (Not coronavirus as such:
just my normal lifestyle.)
Roads are normally placid (the M20 must be at the moment), but I imagine
angry once roused - I wouldn't like to cross one. (Sorry, linguistic
flight of fancy.)

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Chris J Dixon
2020-09-15 18:56:20 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
Oh! Hello Penny, I didn't see you there.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-15 20:37:06 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
Talking to yourself Penny.

You know what they say.

I for one am not (all) here.
2020-09-15 23:50:48 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well, I am...
Talking to yourself Penny.
You know what they say.
I for one am not (all) here.
I am certainly not all there.
Peter
2020-09-15 18:41:31 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Steve Hague
2020-09-16 09:51:04 UTC
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
Penny
2020-09-16 10:15:35 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 10:51:04 +0100, Steve Hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
But the cat is always in the box if you are thinking about it.
2020-09-16 15:44:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
But the cat is always in the box if you are thinking about it.
Do you mean that I didn't need to really take my cat to the vet, earlier
today[1]? Could I just have taken the empty cat carrier and then
thought, really hard, about her being in the box and then of her being
in the vet's surgery, being examined? In the meantime, she could have
been comfortably dozing on the windowsill at home.

[1] She appears to have lost a fight and has an abcess over one eye :(
Our world is not divided by race, colour, gender or religion our world
is divided into wise people and fools and it is fools that divide the
world by race, colour, gender or religion. (Nelson Mandela)
Penny
2020-09-16 16:03:06 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:44:17 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
But the cat is always in the box if you are thinking about it.
Do you mean that I didn't need to really take my cat to the vet, earlier
today[1]? Could I just have taken the empty cat carrier and then
thought, really hard, about her being in the box and then of her being
in the vet's surgery, being examined? In the meantime, she could have
been comfortably dozing on the windowsill at home.
'Fraid not, it only works with Schroedinger's cat, which is definitely in
the box (not your box, but the one you are thinking about belonging to
Schroedinger).
Post by Serena Blanchflower
[1] She appears to have lost a fight and has an abcess over one eye :(
Ooo, nasty! Hope she recovers well.
2020-09-16 17:24:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
But the cat is always in the box if you are thinking about it.
Do you mean that I didn't need to really take my cat to the vet, earlier
today[1]? Could I just have taken the empty cat carrier and then
thought, really hard, about her being in the box and then of her being
in the vet's surgery, being examined? In the meantime, she could have
been comfortably dozing on the windowsill at home.
'Fraid not, it only works with Schroedinger's cat, which is definitely in
the box (not your box, but the one you are thinking about belonging to
Schroedinger).
That's a shame!
[1] She appears to have lost a fight and has an abcess over one eye :(
Ooo, nasty! Hope she recovers well.
I'm sure she will. It helps that she's a gentle soul (when dealing with
humans, if not other cats or rats[1]), so it shouldn't be too dangerous
getting her antibiotics into her.

[1] I don't know who was to blame for her current injury but it was
probably one of these.
If all goes well, this year's drama will be next year's anecdote
(Humphrey Littleton)
Mike
2020-09-16 17:33:58 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
[...]
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
2020-09-16 18:35:31 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 17:33:58, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...") found
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one example.

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-16 22:10:02 UTC
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...") found
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one example.
Any difficulties I might have had getting pills into any of my cats pale
into insignificance compared to getting a worming tablet into Plum. The
only "food" ever rejected by the late lamented Feisty was a Drontal
tablet, but she loved peanut butter, so problem solved. Plummy, on the
other hand, intensely dislikes *anything* which might conceal a portion
of a Drontal tablet. whether it be intact or crushed.
Wrexham, UK
Steve Hague
2020-09-18 11:20:31 UTC
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...")
found https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one
example.
Any difficulties I might have had getting pills into any of my cats pale
into insignificance compared to getting a worming tablet into Plum.  The
only "food" ever rejected by the late lamented Feisty was a Drontal
tablet, but she loved peanut butter, so problem solved.  Plummy, on the
other hand, intensely dislikes *anything* which might conceal a portion
of a Drontal tablet. whether it be intact or crushed.
Our cat too is a gentle soul, he gets on well with everyone, even
dogs. Getting a pill into him is not easy. He doesn't struggle or
scratch and bite, he appears to co-operate, but two minutes later you
find the pill on thr floor, and have to start again.
krw
2020-09-16 22:57:55 UTC
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...") found
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one example.
A friend has two cockerpoos, Ellie and Boris - who sometimes board with
us but not this year as ...

Anyway both are getting on a bit and Ellie has had a few problems down
the years with her back and is now on a regular pill. There have been a
succession of Facebook posts over the last week over how Ellie has
managed to spot the pill and not eaten it! So dogs are not always perfect.
2020-09-17 11:23:44 UTC
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...") found
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one example.
A friend has two cockerpoos, Ellie and Boris - who sometimes board with
us but not this year as ...
Anyway both are getting on a bit and Ellie has had a few problems down
the years with her back and is now on a regular pill. There have been a
succession of Facebook posts over the last week over how Ellie has
managed to spot the pill and not eaten it! So dogs are not always perfect.
We've no longer got Fang but one of the dogs, Bobby, has arthritis and
the medicine for that is daily too and medicine on food is easy. But
now he is worse and also needs either paracetamol and/or Gabapentin. B
crushes the paracetamol on his food which is also ok , the Gabapentin
capsule can be opened and sprinkled on his food but if he has codeine
he eats the food and leaves the pill. We think it must be bitter. It
has to be hidden in cheese or a chew and even then he can take it and
eat the treat and spit the pill. Then it has to be given the hard
way...
Steve Hague
2020-09-19 09:55:02 UTC
[...]
We host our friends cockerpoo when they go away, but so far haven't had
to medicate him. The first thing he does when he gets here is scoff the
cat food, then stick his head out of the cat door to see if it's got big
enough for him since last time he was here. He's a charming dog, and
went to great efforts to make friends with our cat, which succeeded
after a couple of days. He eats so quickly I don't think hiding a pill
in his food would be a problem, he just wouldn't notice.

Mike
2020-09-17 07:26:17 UTC
That reminds me that there is a sketch about getting a tablet into a cat;
ends up as I recall with the ‘member of staff’ having a lacerated arm and
numerous other ‘minor’ inflicted injuries.
Googling for "pill a cat" (I think the full name is "how to ...") found
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/ as one example.
And a very good one too!
2020-09-16 19:23:32 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
[...]
Yes, there are many versions of that around. I'm just lucky that Bella
hasn't seen any of them. And, no Jpeg, I'm not going to show it to her!
One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having
surprising discoveries. (A.A. Milne)
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-16 20:58:16 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
[...]
I must have told umra about Fang needing a pill. We were at the RSPCA
when we lived in Cambridgeshire. The vet had 4 student vets assisting
him and he handed Fang over to them, said 'just give her this pill'
and went out, leaving them to do so. None of those young people will
ever play the violin again. And they tried it whole, crushed and
dissolved. With Fang wrapped in a towel. I had said she was a bit
difficult about pills.
Mike
2020-09-16 10:17:06 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
If a cat is dying of thirst, is it on its’ last lap?
2020-09-16 13:04:48 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
Yes but where is Schroedinger?
Joe Kerr
2020-09-16 14:25:49 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Everybody's got to be somewhere.
Schroedinger's cat doesn't.
Yes but where is Schroedinger?
In his box. (In Alpbach, Austria.)
Ric
Tony Smith
2020-09-15 18:43:48 UTC
Is there anybody there?
said the Traveller, knocking on the moonlit door.
krw
2020-09-15 19:08:12 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well I would post more but now that I seem to be up to two medical
appointments a week and the dog boarding has restarted I seem to be busier!

This week's dog is Lucy. The owners had a week booked in Cyprus. Lucy
arrived and after a few hours posed for the statutory "I'm happy" photo
that we send to owners. The good lady wife posts the picture and asks
for a weather report.

Apparently it is a raining in Scotland. Cue picture of rain covered
windows almost hiding a sign pointing to the Trossachs. Apparently the
necessary test results did not arrive by departure time for the airport
or for some hours later by which time the only option was a much later
flight to a different airport four hours drive from where the hire car
was waiting.

Lucy is very happy. I am going to be out when the owners come back to
collect her!
Anne B
2020-09-15 21:12:46 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Well I would post more but now that I seem to be up to two medical
appointments a week and the dog boarding has restarted I seem to be busier!
This week's dog is Lucy.  The owners had a week booked in Cyprus.  Lucy
arrived and after a few hours posed for the statutory "I'm happy" photo
that we send to owners.  The good lady wife posts the picture and asks
for a weather report.
Apparently it is a raining in Scotland.
It isn't raining everywhere in Scotland. For example it isn't raining
here, it wasn't raining here at 20.08 when you posted that, and it has
actually been quite a fine, warm, dry afternoon and evening after an
admittedly dreich morning. I was regretting that I hadn't taken my
shorts with me.

On the other hand, it probably was raining somewhere in England at the
time.

It is a little known fact that it is very nearly as far (as the crow
flies) from Muckle Flugga to the Mull of Galloway as it is from
Berwick-on-Tweed to the Isles of Scilly.

Anne B
krw
2020-09-16 09:46:49 UTC
Post by Anne B
It is a little known fact that it is very nearly as far (as the crow
flies) from Muckle Flugga to the Mull of Galloway as it is from
Berwick-on-Tweed to the Isles of Scilly.
Undertaking a railrover in 1975 I met a friend in Edinburgh and I was
heading onto Kyle of Lochalsh and then back via Mallaig and he pointed
out I was not going to see most of Scotland. I have been back to other
bits since!
2020-09-16 18:38:42 UTC
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 22:12:46, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
wrote:
[]
Post by Anne B
On the other hand, it probably was raining somewhere in England at the
time.
It is a little known fact that it is very nearly as far (as the crow
flies) from Muckle Flugga to the Mull of Galloway as it is from
Berwick-on-Tweed to the Isles of Scilly.
Anne B
Do crows fly anything like that far? Are they migratory?

(I won't give my quote about the Shetlander/Orcadian and the SNP
campaigner, as I think I gave it fairly recently. I know I tweeted it.)

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Joe Kerr
2020-09-15 19:20:16 UTC
Is there anybody there?
I was there, but now I'm here.
Ric
krw
2020-09-15 19:52:27 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
I was there, but now I'm here.
I have been here most of the day except when I wasn't.

As most of you know I have a pretty awful temper at times. The local
council have decided that the best way to ensure dog boarders get
licences is to charge them more (per annum) than the fine of £500 for
not having the licence in the first place. We have sought to point out
that this might be counterproductive as it will force the boarders to go
off grid and risk getting caught.

Last night however one of the dog boarders decided to tell me that I was
wrong because the prosecutors ALWAYS she barked at me prosecuted
non-licence holders for animal cruelty and the penalties for that are
far higher. The facts behind this are clear - it is only after an
animal suffers harm that the absence of a licence is clear and so there
are two reasons for two charges being brought.

Slightly incensed at being dismissed in this fashion an online search
brought up only one example of anyone being prosecuted for not having a
licence and the prosecution was not linked to animal cruelty.

When I tried to explain that ALWAYS was not true and therefore the
submission to the council was in fact correct she refused to stop
talking so I could explain it to her and eventually she decided that I
could "Smeg off" although she did not use the word Smeg of course and I
was then thrown off the relevant Facebook group.

(The conversation was on the phone as she was trying to explain to my
good lady wife that the document I had posted had errors - including a
broken link which we had posted about immediately after the original
post was made but made no difference to the post content).

The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose! Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels. Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8). So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Steve Hague
2020-09-16 09:59:01 UTC
The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose!  Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels.  Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8).  So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
2020-09-16 10:53:25 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 10:59:01 +0100, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose!  Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels.  Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8).  So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
Steve
There are geese at Kentish Town City Farm. They are quite pushy and
walk and sit around on main pathways. Or approach with menace. All
geese seem to be aggressive actually. We did try saying boo but they
didn't care so we walked round them. I took granddaughter and her big
brother when he was primary school age.
Mike
2020-09-16 11:19:45 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose!  Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels.  Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8).  So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
Steve
There are geese at Kentish Town City Farm. They are quite pushy and
walk and sit around on main pathways. Or approach with menace. All
geese seem to be aggressive actually. We did try saying boo but they
didn't care so we walked round them. I took granddaughter and her big
brother when he was primary school age.
Geese are employed for security duties in some places; I believe they are
all card-carrying members of G4S.
2020-09-16 20:53:20 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose!  Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels.  Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8).  So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
Steve
There are geese at Kentish Town City Farm. They are quite pushy and
walk and sit around on main pathways. Or approach with menace. All
geese seem to be aggressive actually. We did try saying boo but they
didn't care so we walked round them. I took granddaughter and her big
brother when he was primary school age.
Geese are employed for security duties in some places; I believe they are
all card-carrying members of G4S.
Nonononono... but with apologies to anyG4sRat - the geese stay alert
all the time and do not take tea breaks.

2020-09-16 19:59:37 UTC
Geese are employed for security duties in some places; I believe they are
all card-carrying members of G4S.
How, and where precisely, do they carry these cards?

Having met geese who were tall enough to look me in the eye, I would be
unwilling to challenge them - or ask about the cards.
2020-09-17 07:33:34 UTC
Geese are employed for security duties in some places; I believe they are
all card-carrying members of G4S.
How, and where precisely, do they carry these cards?
Having met geese who were tall enough to look me in the eye, I would be
unwilling to challenge them - or ask about the cards.
In their wallets or handbags - of course... (some people do ask some silly
questions!) ;-)))
2020-09-16 14:14:27 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:53:25 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
The good lady wife has been telling this story today and everyone says
that they know I would never say boo to a goose!  Must be my out of
kilter sugar levels.  Talking of which the last five days average at
7.98 (which is below 8).  So I think they are almost back to where they
ought to be.
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
Steve
There are geese at Kentish Town City Farm. They are quite pushy and
walk and sit around on main pathways. Or approach with menace. All
geese seem to be aggressive actually. We did try saying boo but they
didn't care so we walked round them. I took granddaughter and her big
brother when he was primary school age.
My social-climbing Granny kept geese. She fed them soggy toast every
morning and got me to feed them with it when I was staying - not something
I enjoyed, or understood, really. If you are going to wet the toast to make
it soggy, why bother toasting it in the first place?

Our village vicar kept geese (and a couple of Dexters). When he held big
meetings in the vicarage and were told to park in the paddock, nobody's hub
caps were safe from their frenzied attacks.
Joe Kerr
2020-09-16 11:44:42 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Has anyone ever said boo to a goose? If so, why? a bad acting
performance, off key honking perhaps.
Steve
Probably. Why should geese be exempt? I have probably said goo to abuse,
too, but I don't know why. I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and
hamburgers to cows. I was brought up in less enlightened times.
Ric
krw
2020-09-16 13:03:57 UTC
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up. And later with
the children. Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
2020-09-16 13:49:53 UTC
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise." If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-09-16 14:07:30 UTC
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise." If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Does a hamburger contain pork?
Joe Kerr
2020-09-16 14:23:14 UTC
Does a hamburger contain pork?
No. I think horse is more common.
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-16 18:44:58 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Mike
Does a hamburger contain pork?
No. I think horse is more common.
(-:

[I don't think I've _knowingly_ ever had horse: as long as no
_deception_ was involved, I'd be interested to try it, though not enough
to actively seek it. (I have tried both ostrich and kangaroo [Lidl have
the latter occasionally]; ostrich is a surprisingly red meat, and from
what I remember, somewhat like fillet steak; as it cost the same or
more, I decided the novelty wasn't worth it. Kangaroo I found rather
tough and not particularly flavoursome; of course, there are probably
good and bad cuts, and I almost certainly didn't cook it properly.)

I'm pretty sure the word hamburger is named after the city of Hamburg,
rather than anything to do with its main ingredient.

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Tony Smith
2020-09-16 19:26:03 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Mike
Does a hamburger contain pork?
No. I think horse is more common.
[I don't think I've _knowingly_ ever had horse: as long as no
_deception_ was involved, I'd be interested to try it, though not enough
to actively seek it.
I have purposely eaten horse goulash in Ljubljana. The sauce was undeniably goulash but who knows what the horse meat tasted like. When I went to Ljubljana another year, with herself and the wee 'un, they didn't want to go to that restaurant.

Similarly Razorbill (or perhaps it was Guillemot) in Reykjavik, tasting merely of the sauce it was served in. Next time I was in Reykjavik the place wasn't doing food at all and I later learnt it had become an abode of druggies.
krw
2020-09-16 22:59:40 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it was
not horse.
2020-09-17 06:25:38 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it was
not horse.
It featured regularly on the staff canteen lunch menu when I worked in
France and I often chose it.
Steve Hague
2020-09-19 09:06:26 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it
was not horse.
It featured regularly on the staff canteen lunch menu when I worked in
France and I often chose it.
To the best of my knowledge I've never eaten horse meat, but you can't
be certain what's in sausages and burgers. Some posh foods taste
disgusting to me, pheasant and caviar to name but two. On the other
hand, roast guinea fowl is lovely.
2020-09-19 09:16:06 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it
was not horse.
It featured regularly on the staff canteen lunch menu when I worked in
France and I often chose it.
To the best of my knowledge I've never eaten horse meat, but you can't
be certain what's in sausages and burgers. Some posh foods taste
disgusting to me, pheasant and caviar to name but two. On the other
hand, roast guinea fowl is lovely.
Steve
The one pound and five pence fowl may not share your opinion!
Peter
2020-09-17 07:02:33 UTC
Was it pulling a fiacre and taking you to the tourist sights?
Peter
2020-09-17 12:53:49 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by krw
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it
was not horse.
Was it pulling a fiacre and taking you to the tourist sights?
Presumably 'sites'. I was thinking of sightseeing.

At Delphi it would be seer sighting.
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-17 11:24:15 UTC
My mum told me horse is sweeter than beef.
Joe Kerr
2020-09-17 13:41:32 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it was
not horse.
My mum told me horse is sweeter than beef.
I had something in France a long time ago that had horse in the name
(but in French). We weren't sure whether it actually was horse or just
called something to do with a horse[1]. As I recall it was a lot like
beef but sweeter, so that sounds like it was horse.

[1] cf Hot dogs, lady's fingers, langues de chat, etc.
Ric
Jim Easterbrook
2020-09-17 13:56:27 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it
was not horse.
My mum told me horse is sweeter than beef.
I had something in France a long time ago that had horse in the name
(but in French). We weren't sure whether it actually was horse or just
called something to do with a horse[1]. As I recall it was a lot like
beef but sweeter, so that sounds like it was horse.
[1] cf Hot dogs, lady's fingers, langues de chat, etc.
I think it's time to treat UMRA to one of my favourite holiday photos. A
butcher's shop in France, with the slogan "De L'Étable à La Table".
https://flic.kr/p/dLQP6t
Peter
Rememberest thou the Steptoe and Son featuring hors d'oeuvres?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-17 15:48:24 UTC
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 13:56:27, Jim Easterbrook
<***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
[]
Post by Jim Easterbrook
I think it's time to treat UMRA to one of my favourite holiday photos. A
butcher's shop in France, with the slogan "De L'Étable à La Table".
https://flic.kr/p/dLQP6t
The slogan would work just as well in English - if anything, snappier:
"From stable to table".

But this can only happen if we replace the urge to blame with the urge to
learn so that it is safe for staff to admit errors and raise concerns without
the fear of being punished.
- Former MI5 boss Eliza Manningham-Buller, RT 2016/5/7-13
Peter
Mike
2020-09-17 16:12:24 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[1] cf Hot dogs, lady's fingers, langues de chat, etc.
...but only for the mane course of course...
2020-09-17 16:30:17 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[1] cf Hot dogs, lady's fingers, langues de chat, etc.
...but only for the mane course of course...
They are currently talking about fermented horse-milk in connection with
raging fires in Siberia on R4...
2020-09-17 22:10:15 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[1] cf Hot dogs, lady's fingers, langues de chat, etc.
...but only for the mane course of course...
They are currently talking about fermented horse-milk in connection with
raging fires in Siberia on R4...
That is just plain ridiculous. By the time you have milked enough
horses to get enough milk to throw on the flames, the fire would have
become four times the size.

Nick
Steve Hague
I find myself bridling at that comment.
BrritSki
Oeuf a cheval ? Beef burger with a fried egg on top...
Joe Kerr
2020-09-17 16:53:41 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I had something in France a long time ago that had horse in the name
(but in French). We weren't sure whether it actually was horse or just
called something to do with a horse[1].
Oeuf a cheval ?  Beef burger with a fried egg on top...
It might have been.
Ric
Mike
Joe Kerr
2020-09-17 18:22:02 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Joe Kerr
I had something in France a long time ago that had horse in the name
(but in French). We weren't sure whether it actually was horse or just
called something to do with a horse[1].
Oeuf a cheval ?  Beef burger with a fried egg on top...
It might have been.
Bean?
Been!

No beans were harmed in the making of the meal.
Ric
Sam Plusnet
2020-09-17 21:08:05 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it was
not horse.
My mum told me horse is sweeter than beef.
No-one ever fed a sugar-lump to a cow.
2020-09-18 02:31:43 UTC
I ordered something in France once and was not entirely sure that it was
not horse.
My mum told me horse is sweeter than beef.
No-one ever fed a sugar-lump to a cow.
I would not like to say with certainty.

After all they used to feed fish to cows, then sheep to cows when the
fish became too expensive. What is the wholesale price of sugar these
days? HFCS anybody?

Nick
Anne B
2020-09-17 07:17:34 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
 Does a hamburger contain pork?
No. I think horse is more common.
[I don't think I've _knowingly_ ever had horse: as long as no
_deception_ was involved, I'd be interested to try it, though not enough
to actively seek it. (I have tried both ostrich and kangaroo [Lidl have
the latter occasionally]; ostrich is a surprisingly red meat, and from
what I remember, somewhat like fillet steak; as it cost the same or
more, I decided the novelty wasn't worth it. Kangaroo I found rather
tough and not particularly flavoursome; of course, there are probably
good and bad cuts, and I almost certainly didn't cook it properly.)
I've tried horse, which was reminiscent of coarse beef, and also a whole
range of antelopes etc that occur in Namibia. Most of them were
palatable, except kudu, which has an unpleasant soft soggy consistency.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I'm pretty sure the word hamburger is named after the city of Hamburg,
rather than anything to do with its main ingredient.
Correct.

Anne B
Steve Hague
Do you mean steamed clams?
Serena Blanchflower
2020-09-16 15:55:10 UTC
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise."  If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Like you, I get irritated by the nomenclature used for some of the fake
meat / cheese dishes on offer but I'm not too bothered by either of
those ones, so long as it's made explicitly clear what you are (or
aren't) getting.

For me, burgers don't have to be made of beef (and nor do sausages have
to be made with pork/beef) but is a more generic term for patties of
that shape or size and which might be good eaten in a bun, with assorted
additives.
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.
Steve Hague
2020-09-16 16:30:28 UTC
[...]
A bakery near us make vegan sausage rolls. Perhaps a contradiction in
terms, but they're delicious, and I'm a confirmed carnivore.
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-16 17:45:56 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:30:28 +0100, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Greggs make them too, and Linda MacCartney's do them and there are
supermarket own brand ones. B likes real ones like Ginsters but the
non-meat ones are not at all bad and lower in WW points.
Anne B
2020-09-17 07:19:23 UTC
[...]
I like venison sausages but not keen on pork ones.

Anne B
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-17 11:26:16 UTC
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:19:23 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
[...]
Venison in various forms fromSainsburys was ok, game in a restaurant,
hung well, was not to my liking. Rank. I have had crocodile and
kangaroo in a pub doing Oz wine and using the meat as a sales thing
and they were sort of ok. Bit like chicken.
Anne B
2020-09-18 21:53:11 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
Oh, yes, we got crocodile in Papua New Guinea and it was very good.

Anne B
Steve Hague
I would never eat crocodile, too much risk of one eating me back.
Mike
2020-09-19 09:26:03 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
[...]
‘Make me a crocodile sandwich and make it snappy.’ (The old ones ...)
Peter
Let them eat aioli.
Nick Odell
2020-09-16 20:56:03 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise."  If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Let them eat aioli.
Eh? Isn't that the usenet provider of choice for our own KRW?

2020-09-16 23:01:00 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise."  If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Let them eat aioli.
Eh? Isn't that the usenet provider of choice for our own KRW?
Nick
Almost but not quite!
2020-09-17 07:35:28 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise."  If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Let them eat aioli.
Eh? Isn't that the usenet provider of choice for our own KRW?
Nick
Or the plural for a type of harp?
2020-09-16 19:06:00 UTC
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise." If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
https://twitter.com/bengelinas/status/1038447405769707520?lang=en

"In Finland, sometimes people joke that mozzarella is Moomin meat
and if you eat mozzarella you're eating Moomin."

BOFE is a great fan (of both) and is mortified!

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-16 20:02:58 UTC
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up.  And later with
the children.  Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
I have no real objection to people choosing to be veggie or vegan, but I
object strongly to terms such as "vegetarian burger" or "vegan
mayonnaise."  If a patty is not made of minced beef it is not a burger.
How can a product be mayonnaise if it contains no egg?
Indeed. If you offer vegetarian or vegan food, why on earth would you
even want to turn it into pretend meat?
2020-09-16 21:29:06 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 21:02:58, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> wrote:
Indeed. If you offer vegetarian or vegan food, why on earth would you
even want to turn it into pretend meat?
Depends when and why the person became veg*an. If they'd previously been
an omnivore but changed for moral reasons, or even more so medical, they
might still hanker for the taste/texture/whatever of things they
remembered.

(On a different but vaguely related subject: my mother's first husband
was Jewish, so she became involved in that culture. She said the smell
of cooking bacon was the most likely to make good Jewish boys to stray
...)

I don't have an agree that our language torture is a quality add
- soldiersailor on Gransnet, 2018-3-8
Penny
2020-09-16 14:18:08 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:03:57 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up. And later with
the children. Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
Brother#1 kept a few sheep and goats when he lived in the Peak District,
which made the household self-sufficient in milk and meat (only one of the
sheep was really a milker). One of his step-daughters was vegetarian but
said it didn't apply to his lamb which was 'yummy'.
2020-09-16 14:34:41 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I've definitely said mint sauce to sheep and hamburgers to cows.
Used to be used regularly in our car when growing up. And later with
the children. Probably why one of them went vegetarian!
Brother#1 kept a few sheep and goats when he lived in the Peak District,
which made the household self-sufficient in milk and meat (only one of the
sheep was really a milker). One of his step-daughters was vegetarian but
said it didn't apply to his lamb which was 'yummy'.
We were watching Episode 2 of Series 1 of Our Yorkshire Farm (C5 Select)
yesterday and remarked that it would do all our grandchildren good to
watch this series to see some of the realities of farming.

No holds barred stuff, dead sheep and lambs, including 1 being skinned
so the mother yow (aka ewe) would accept an orphan wearing it as a
temporary coat.

Nevertheless a delightful program. How the Mum manages to looks so young
still after bearing 9 lovely kids is a miracle ! Highly recommended.
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-15 19:46:30 UTC
Is there anybody there?
I think I was there then, but now I'm here.
Wrexham, UK
Sjouke Burry
2020-09-15 22:41:27 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Yep!
steveski
2020-09-15 23:48:31 UTC
Is there anybody there?
I'm not HTH
Steveski [Back from hols}
Mike
2020-09-16 07:19:54 UTC
Is there anybody there?
No...
2020-09-16 20:05:20 UTC
Is there anybody there?
No...
Woof!

(Oops - but I think I got away with it.)
Nick Leverton
2020-09-16 08:20:26 UTC
Is there anybody there?
Only us complicated electronic thinking devices.

2020-09-16 10:19:09 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:20:26 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Only us complicated electronic thinking devices.
Yours seems to pick up on the reply-to address instead of the sent-from,
which I find a little disturbing :(
Nick Leverton
2020-09-16 17:12:29 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Penny
Is there anybody there?
Only us complicated electronic thinking devices.
Yours seems to pick up on the reply-to address instead of the sent-from,
which I find a little disturbing :(
I do apologise for the discomfort, Penny. Using Reply-To is the
default in rn/trn, after all it goes back to long before people
started deliberately breaking their From addresses. But the format is
configurable with a little reading of the man page ...

2020-09-16 22:17:21 UTC
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:12:29 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Nick Leverton
I do apologise for the discomfort, Penny. Using Reply-To is the
default in rn/trn, after all it goes back to long before people
started deliberately breaking their From addresses. But the format is
configurable with a little reading of the man page ...
I would thank you but of course you just did it again in the quoted bit...
Nick Leverton
2020-09-17 08:29:10 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I do apologise for the discomfort, Penny. Using Reply-To is the
default in rn/trn, after all it goes back to long before people
started deliberately breaking their From addresses. But the format is
configurable with a little reading of the man page ...
I would thank you but of course you just did it again in the quoted bit...
You're right, sorry. In fact I think we both quoted the original version.

2020-09-16 11:40:10 UTC
Is there anybody there?
No, I'm here, and following the thread title, I have just been tested.

This was at the airport in Kefalonia, where I was chosen at random. All
very efficient, only took a couple of minutes, thgey'll call me within 2
days if its positive.

Lourdas is very warm, but not that sunny and rain is forecast for next 3
days, but we'll see.