OT: I heard a bird
2020-05-07 08:07:04 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us? This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before. It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA. Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Wrexham, UK
BrritSki
I think there is some help available at the RSPB site...
Sally Thompson
2020-05-07 08:31:27 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us? This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before. It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA. Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Green woodpecker yaffling?
2020-05-07 09:41:03 UTC
Green woodpecker yaffling?
Their second album was rubbish.[1]

[1]It is important to keep the old traditions alive.
2020-05-07 09:49:55 UTC
Green woodpecker yaffling?
Their second album was rubbish.[1]
[1]It is important to keep the old traditions alive.
I heard about via their Twitter page...
2020-05-07 11:10:29 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us? This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before. It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA. Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Green woodpecker yaffling?
Quite possibly.

I did spend some time listening to various possibilities on a garden
birds website and decided that it could have been a Green Woodpecker or
a Sparrohawk. Neither was *quite* the same, but both very similar.

In this case the sound was quite distinctive and easy to remember. I
usually find that the trouble with trying to identify a bird song by
listening to recordings is that having heard 3 or 3 I can no longer
remember what I am trying to identify.
Wrexham, UK
Sally Thompson
2020-05-07 12:28:02 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us? This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before. It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA. Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Green woodpecker yaffling?
Quite possibly.
I did spend some time listening to various possibilities on a garden
birds website and decided that it could have been a Green Woodpecker or
a Sparrohawk. Neither was *quite* the same, but both very similar.
In this case the sound was quite distinctive and easy to remember. I
usually find that the trouble with trying to identify a bird song by
listening to recordings is that having heard 3 or 3 I can no longer
remember what I am trying to identify.
Jenny, if you are able to record it on your phone or something and email it
to me, I should be able to identify it.
2020-05-07 14:53:04 UTC
Jenny, if you are able to record it on your phone or something and email it
to me, I should be able to identify it.
Whizzo! If I hear it again I'll try and do that.
Wrexham, UK
Anne B

Anne B
Paul Herber
2020-05-07 12:36:26 UTC
Post by Anne B
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Yellowhammer.
Anne B
A little bit of bread and no cheese.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-05-07 12:56:49 UTC
Post by Anne B
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds
as though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much
higher note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can
anyrat suggest what it might be?
Yellowhammer.
Anne B
Wasn't that where the Winter Olympics were a few years ago?
IGMC ...

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]
Paul Herber
2020-05-07 13:34:39 UTC
Post by Anne B
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds
as though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much
higher note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can
anyrat suggest what it might be?
Yellowhammer.
Anne B
Wasn't that where the Winter Olympics were a few years ago?
IGMC ...
No way
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Jenny M Benson
2020-05-07 14:53:33 UTC
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
Wrexham, UK
Anne B
2020-05-10 09:52:42 UTC
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?

Anne B
Jenny M Benson
2020-05-10 10:07:41 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird. Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Wrexham, UK
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-05-10 11:05:59 UTC
Robin?
Mike Ruddock

Mike Ruddock
Penny
2020-05-10 12:27:37 UTC
On Sun, 10 May 2020 11:07:41 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird. Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Not sure about that, depends what they are saying.
The alarm calls of birds are loud. I always reckon the local blackbirds are
shouting "CAT", though I've watched them watching a sparrow hawk chasing
smaller birds while they're doing it. I've also seen a sparrow hawk take a
young blackbird :(
2020-05-10 12:33:13 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird. Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Not sure about that, depends what they are saying.
The alarm calls of birds are loud. I always reckon the local blackbirds are
shouting "CAT", though I've watched them watching a sparrow hawk chasing
smaller birds while they're doing it. I've also seen a sparrow hawk take a
young blackbird :(
I've always enjoyed the fact that the great tit, in particular, shouts
CAT! as an alarm call
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
boots
Jenny M Benson
2020-05-10 12:44:18 UTC
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird. Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Not sure about that, depends what they are saying.
The alarm calls of birds are loud. I always reckon the local blackbirds are
shouting "CAT", though I've watched them watching a sparrow hawk chasing
smaller birds while they're doing it. I've also seen a sparrow hawk take a
young blackbird:(
I distinguish between "louder" and "bigger",
Wrexham, UK
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Anne B

Anne B
Sam Plusnet
2020-05-10 19:42:01 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Strange. In our garden it often seems the other way round, with the
resident Great Tits making one hell of a racket (rather like a
handsaw[1] that whistles).

[1] Or is that a hawk?
Hbunnet
2020-05-10 20:38:32 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Hbunnet
steveski
2020-05-10 21:34:23 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Yes. When I was in the Andrew, I went out with a wren called Audrey - she
had a laugh like a donkey being chainsawed.
2020-05-11 21:06:27 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Yes. When I was in the Andrew, I went out with a wren called Audrey - she
had a laugh like a donkey being chainsawed.
Is it true that all Wren officers were the daughters of Admirals?
2020-05-11 22:05:29 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Yes. When I was in the Andrew, I went out with a wren called Audrey - she
had a laugh like a donkey being chainsawed.
Is it true that all Wren officers were the daughters of Admirals?
Not the ones I know.
2020-05-12 07:51:29 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Yes. When I was in the Andrew, I went out with a wren called Audrey - she
had a laugh like a donkey being chainsawed.
Is it true that all Wren officers were the daughters of Admirals?
Were they Chasen them all round the fleet?
2020-05-12 09:49:21 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Yes. When I was in the Andrew, I went out with a wren called Audrey - she
had a laugh like a donkey being chainsawed.
Is it true that all Wren officers were the daughters of Admirals?
Were they Chasen them all round the fleet?
There was a news item yesterday (that I now can't immediately find)
which made me wonder what the Parsi is for Troutbridge.

2020-05-12 10:13:36 UTC
On Tue, 12 May 2020 10:49:21 +0100, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
There was a news item yesterday (that I now can't immediately find)
which made me wonder what the Parsi is for Troutbridge.
Um, I don't think Parsi is a language (it means Persian - as in people, not
language).
Google says in Gujarati or Marathi it would transcribe as Tra'utabrija
which reminds me of various Welsh words which sound like English but aren't
spelt the same e.g. egsosts*.

*I often find myself stopped in traffic behind a van with the illustrated
sign on its back doors 'batris a egsosts'
2020-05-12 10:53:15 UTC
There was a news item yesterday (that I now can't immediately find)
which made me wonder what the Parsi is for Troutbridge.
Um, I don't think Parsi is a language (it means Persian - as in people, not
language).
Google says in Gujarati or Marathi it would transcribe as Tra'utabrija
which reminds me of various Welsh words which sound like English but aren't
spelt the same e.g. egsosts*.
*I often find myself stopped in traffic behind a van with the illustrated
sign on its back doors 'batris a egsosts'
Ah, should have said Farsi.

Iranian friendly fire incident in Straits of Hormuz.

2020-05-12 17:21:55 UTC
On Tue, 12 May 2020 11:53:15 +0100, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
There was a news item yesterday (that I now can't immediately find)
which made me wonder what the Parsi is for Troutbridge.
Um, I don't think Parsi is a language (it means Persian - as in people, not
language).
Google says in Gujarati or Marathi it would transcribe as Tra'utabrija
which reminds me of various Welsh words which sound like English but aren't
spelt the same e.g. egsosts*.
*I often find myself stopped in traffic behind a van with the illustrated
sign on its back doors 'batris a egsosts'
Ah, should have said Farsi.
I figured that (eventually) and guess it's probably similar but Google
doesn't transcribe Persian or even offer a spoken version.
2020-05-12 18:53:15 UTC
Um, I don't think Parsi is a language (it means Persian - as in people, not
language).
As in:
He who takes cakes
That the Parsee man bakes
Makes dreadful mistakes?

And do they all have hats from which the rays of the sun are reflected
in more-than-oriental splendour?[1]

[1]I can't be AOU in having been raised on the Just-So Stories, can I?
2020-05-12 18:54:31 UTC
[1]I can't be AOU in having been raised on the Just-So Stories, can I?
Need you ask?!
Wrexham, UK
John Ashby
2020-05-12 19:11:04 UTC
[1]I can't be AOU in having been raised on the Just-So Stories, can I?
Need you ask?!
Of course he needs, it's his 'satiable curtiosity.

2020-05-11 07:58:31 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
No, you hum it.... and I’ll play it.
2020-05-11 09:31:29 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Probably, but I couldn't swear to it or remember what it sounded like,
though I know it is said to be very loud. Just listened on the Garden
Birds site and there's no way I would hear that and say "that's a big bird!"
Wrexham, UK
Anne B
2020-05-11 09:54:28 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you
can get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird.  Bigger birds
make bigger noises.
Have you heard a Wren?
Probably, but I couldn't swear to it or remember what it sounded like,
though I know it is said to be very loud.  Just listened on the Garden
Birds site and there's no way I would hear that and say "that's a big bird!"
Well, assuming that you have listened to a Yellowhammer and it's not the
song you heard, I have no further suggestions to offer.

Anne B
Chris McMillan
2020-05-12 12:25:39 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Yellowhammer.
Same sort of thing, but definitely coming from a much bigger bird.
How could you tell how big the bird was if you couldn't see it?
I'm sure there will be some exceptions, but on the whole I think you can
get a rough idea of size from the sound of a bird. Bigger birds make
bigger noises.
Blind people identify birds by call exclusively but I’ve no idea except
from tactile representations and a good idea of spatial awareness how they
put two and two together. Until the rise of You Tube etc, wannabe twitchers
went on annual birdsong holiday courses.

2020-05-07 13:35:51 UTC
On Thu, 7 May 2020 09:07:04 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Do we have any birder-rats among us? This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before. It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA. Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
I can't help but I think an app I ignored an advert for earlier may be able
to id bird song. A quick look at Google Play offers several which claim to
do this.
Peter Percival
2020-05-09 10:01:46 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds as
though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much higher
note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can anyrat
suggest what it might be?
Were there other birds in sight, and if so, how where they behaving? If
in a very troubled manner, then your bird may have been a sparrowhawk.
Jenny M Benson
2020-05-09 10:26:42 UTC
Were there other birds in sight, and if so, how where they behaving?  If
in a very troubled manner, then your bird may have been a sparrowhawk.
Yes, sparrowhawk is one of the strong possibilities I came up with.

I was in the garden which is pretty much a square enclosed by buildings
on all 4 sides One of the buildings is 3-storey and has a road on the
other side. Beyond the road is a row of houses with a playing field
behind and the bird I could hear was some/where out of sight behind that
building. There wasn't much bird activity in the garden because I was
out there, but the jackdaws in roughly the same direction were making a
racket - which is not unusual for jackdaws!
Wrexham, UK
Anne B
2020-05-10 09:53:41 UTC
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds
as though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much
higher note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can
anyrat suggest what it might be?
Were there other birds in sight, and if so, how where they behaving?  If
in a very troubled manner, then your bird may have been a sparrowhawk.
A Sparrowhawk's call is nothing like ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.

Anne B
Jenny M Benson
2020-05-10 10:13:41 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter Percival
Do we have any birder-rats among us?  This morning I can hear a bird
(it's out of sight) which I don't remember hearing before.  It sounds
as though it is at least the size of jackdaw but it's call is a much
higher note than the jackdaw and it goes ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.  Can
anyrat suggest what it might be?
Were there other birds in sight, and if so, how where they behaving?
If in a very troubled manner, then your bird may have been a sparrowhawk.
A Sparrowhawk's call is nothing like ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YA.
I was going by the call you can hear at
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/sparrowhawk.html
where it says "The Sparrowhawk makes a shrieking "ke-ke-ke-ke" call."

Perhaps "ke" is more accurate than "ya" - of course, I can't remember
now exactly what I heard! - but it was definitely that same note
repeated several time and ending with one slightly higher or stronger one.
Wrexham, UK