OT: Cricket - an apology
2020-01-28 09:07:42 UTC
After the Centurion Test you may have imagined that you overheard me
suggesting that the English cricket team were rubbish, the batsman
unable to hit a beach ball with a stick of rhubarb, the spinners lacking
any sort of deviation, the pacemen being broken down old hacks and the
captain ready for retirement.
There is not a jot or tittle of truth in these suggestions. It is clear
that these are the finest players ever to don whites for England, the
fast bowlers deadly, even without Jofra, the spinners subtle and devious
and the wielders of the willow displaying class with every stroke right
down the order. All led of course by a lion, whose strategic and
tactical nous is second to none, and helped of course by the coin kindly
supplied by Huawei.
These fine lads are now set to dominate World Cricket for the rest of
the decade and win the Ashes for the forseeable future.
Thankyou.
krw
2020-01-28 16:17:43 UTC
[...]
Too much reading Private Eye is my diagnosis.
2020-01-28 19:06:56 UTC
[...]
:o)

I do think there are grounds for cautious optimism, though. We have two
young batsmen who seem to be developing into a decent opening pair and
when Burns is fit we may even have a decent No.3, too. Root hasn't been
at his best but is a class act, Stokes is a phenomenon, Pope looks the
genuine article, Bess shows promise, I like Sam Curran a lot and we have
a credible pace attack which can be rotated as needed.

With others pushing for places (Foakes, Bairstow, Leach, possibly Moeen
etc.) I'm quite hopeful for the next few years. It may All Go Horribly
Wrong in Sri Lanka, but even if it does we have the makings of a good
team, I think.