OT British Library Exhibition.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-01-10 21:24:05 UTC
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Nick Odell
2019-01-10 21:57:09 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Blimey! The British Library? They've gone up in the world! I used to fix
their guitars for them when they were nowt but international rock stars.
The other day I came across some photos taken during a visit to their
recording studio some many years ago. The band are instantly
recognisable to anybody who would recognise them anyway but I'm not so
sure about the skinny little chap in the guitarmakers' apron.

Nick
Clive Arthur
2019-01-10 22:43:04 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Blimey! The British Library? They've gone up in the world! I used to fix
their guitars for them when they were nowt but international rock stars.
The other day I came across some photos taken during a visit to their
recording studio some many years ago. The band are instantly
recognisable to anybody who would recognise them anyway but I'm not so
sure about the skinny little chap in the guitarmakers' apron.
Nick
They didn't play Saxon guitars then? Their copies were pretty good I
seem to recall.

Cheers
Clive
Nick Odell
2019-01-11 01:58:03 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Blimey! The British Library? They've gone up in the world! I used to
fix their guitars for them when they were nowt but international rock
stars. The other day I came across some photos taken during a visit to
their recording studio some many years ago. The band are instantly
recognisable to anybody who would recognise them anyway but I'm not so
sure about the skinny little chap in the guitarmakers' apron.
Nick
They didn't play Saxon guitars then?  Their copies were pretty good I
seem to recall.
They endorsed Fernandes guitars - which, as the brand name obviously
implies, were a high-end Japanese range of electric guitars. A Google
Image search on Fernandes Saxon will find you far more pictures of
Graham Oliver than you could shake an... erme... Fernandes guitar at.

The company that distributed them in the UK at that time were clients of
mine and I did a lot of work with them. A little trivia: if you had
bought any new guitar from a music shop up until the mid-eighties, it
might have played "off the wall" but it probably didn't. Most music
shops just took them straight out of their boxes and put them on display
- and to be fair, most music shops didn't know what else to do with
them. The bloke who owned the distribution company had one of those
"It's a crazy idea but it might just work" moments and from then on
every Fernandes guitar was checked, adjusted and set up before it went
to the shops. Result? Slightly higher overheads and much higher sales.
And within about a year most of the other brands were doing the same.

Nick
Clive Arthur
2019-01-11 09:49:07 UTC
On 11/01/2019 01:58, Nick Odell wrote:

<snip>
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
We had a slightly different system. You took all the available £22
Jedson electric guitars the shop had and found the one with the least
distorted neck. If you were a true optimist, you could try the K (Kay?)
guitars at £18 from Woolies IIRC.

My Jedson was actually pretty good. I changed the bridge for an
adjustable one and changed the pickups but ended up giving it to a
girlfriend. And the guitar.

I still have a half decent acoustic guitar, but no matter how many
minutes per year I practise in a year, I still can't get the hang of it.

I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.

Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
2019-01-11 10:18:00 UTC
Did you get her a boom-boom box too ? Foxy...
Clive Arthur
2019-01-11 11:16:18 UTC
My Jedson was actually pretty good.  I changed the bridge for an
adjustable one and changed the pickups but ended up giving it to a
girlfriend.  And the guitar.
Did you get her a boom-boom box too ? Foxy...
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.

Cheers
Clive
Vicky Ayech
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
Penny
2019-01-11 13:31:43 UTC
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 11:27:45 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by BrritSki
My Jedson was actually pretty good.  I changed the bridge for an
adjustable one and changed the pickups but ended up giving it to a
girlfriend.  And the guitar.
Did you get her a boom-boom box too ? Foxy...
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
I think the taste, bad or worse, depends on what he's been drinking.
2019-01-11 20:57:27 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
I think the taste, bad or worse, depends on what he's been drinking.
Can you drink asparagus?
2019-01-12 08:28:19 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
I think the taste, bad or worse, depends on what he's been drinking.
Can you drink asparagus?
That’s colourful language!
2019-01-12 16:36:45 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
I think the taste, bad or worse, depends on what he's been drinking.
Can you drink asparagus?
Asparagus soup anyone?
2019-01-11 18:33:05 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by BrritSki
My Jedson was actually pretty good.  I changed the bridge for an
adjustable one and changed the pickups but ended up giving it to a
girlfriend.  And the guitar.
Did you get her a boom-boom box too ? Foxy...
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
BTN but probably MV? Is there going to be a TO (too obvious) section?
Unquestionably MV, I'm afraid.
2019-01-11 12:56:48 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by BrritSki
My Jedson was actually pretty good.  I changed the bridge for an
adjustable one and changed the pickups but ended up giving it to a
girlfriend.  And the guitar.
Did you get her a boom-boom box too ? Foxy...
I tried to get her to play the mouth organ but our Monica sucked at it.
Cheers
I just knew this thread was going down....
2019-01-11 10:37:40 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Time mellows distant memories. Which is why people seem to have
forgotten slashed hands from jagged fret ends and cut fingers from
unforgiving strings and now seem willing to pay quite high prices on
eBay for those Jedsons and Kays
Post by Clive Arthur
I still have a half decent acoustic guitar, but no matter how many
minutes per year I practise in a year,  I still can't get the hang of it.
If you are sure it's not the guitar letting you down? (I would never
have got into the instrument business if my first guitar, which was
actually my dad's first mail-order guitar - hadn't let me down very
badly indeed) Even the best of them need a little adjustment now and then.

If it's not the guitar then you might, just, possibly need to up your
practice time a tad.
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
If you think about it, you can blame Bert Weedon for a lot that's wrong
with the world today.

Nick
Clive Arthur
2019-01-11 12:45:05 UTC
On 11/01/2019 10:37, Nick Odell wrote:

<snipped>
Post by Nick Odell
Time mellows distant memories. Which is why people seem to have
forgotten slashed hands from jagged fret ends and cut fingers from
unforgiving strings...
But I won't forget the lead guitarist in a pub band I drummed in who was
too mean to buy spare strings. His top string broke during a gig, so
there was an interval while he knotted the ends and retuned as best he
could. There was blood.

Cheers
Clive
SODAM
2019-01-11 12:42:36 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
John Ashby
2019-01-11 13:11:16 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.

2019-01-11 13:13:33 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
john
Yes, the Norwegian wood.
2019-01-11 14:11:11 UTC
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
krw
2019-01-11 14:21:17 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
I hope he or she gave informed consent.
2019-01-11 14:24:35 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
I hope he or she gave informed consent.
Wouldn’t want you to turnip with a charge against you.
She did, but I'm fed up with this Ecuadorian Embassy...
John Ashby
2019-01-11 17:00:56 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
I hope he or she gave informed consent.
She did, but I'm fed up with this Ecuadorian Embassy...
Go and tidy your room.

2019-01-11 20:59:17 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
I hope he or she gave informed consent.
She did, but I'm fed up with this Ecuadorian Embassy...
Go and tidy your room.
And clean up after your cat!
Clive Arthur
2019-01-11 15:52:41 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
Did she have a nice Volvo?

Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
2019-01-11 15:56:28 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by SODAM
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
It usually takes three times that to make a Norwegian.
I once made a Swede in under 3 hours. We'd both been drinking though...
Did she have a nice Volvo?
It was in Majorca and we didn't drive, but I did make a hole in one.

We didn't sail either, but I did Magaluff
Paul Herber
2019-01-11 16:07:30 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
I blame that Bert Weedon - 'Play in a Day' my arse.
Like “Norwegian in Three Months”. Ha!
Simples, just take a few years to learn Swedish and Danish first, after that it only takes
3 months to learn basic Norwegian.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
BrritSki
Maybe they played se'axes ?
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-11 00:15:34 UTC
The other day I came across some photos taken during a visit to their
recording studio some many years ago. The band are instantly
recognisable to anybody who would recognise them anyway but I'm not so
sure about the skinny little chap in the guitarmakers' apron.
Does a guitarmaker's apron have a particular and distinct shape?

Must you don a different one whilst luting?
2019-01-11 02:02:51 UTC
The other day I came across some photos taken during a visit to their
recording studio some many years ago. The band are instantly
recognisable to anybody who would recognise them anyway but I'm not so
sure about the skinny little chap in the guitarmakers' apron.
Does a guitarmaker's apron have a particular and distinct shape?
This one had - well, has, since I've still got it though like me it
retired a while ago - a big, red Fernandes guitars logo on a black
background
Post by Sam Plusnet
Must you don a different one whilst luting?
I haven't luted since about 1968 so I couldn't really tell you.

2019-01-11 08:32:39 UTC
Does a guitarmaker's apron have a particular and distinct shape?
Must you don a different one whilst luting?
And different again whilst pillaging?
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-01-31 22:35:27 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Went today. Quite interesting, but took over 1.75 hours to walk round. I also took the opportunity to renew my BL reader's ticket.

Pace the weather forecasters, no snow at all till Oxfordshire and not a lot from there home.

Tony
Chris J Dixon
2019-02-01 08:34:10 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Went today. Quite interesting, but took over 1.75 hours to walk round. I also took the opportunity to renew my BL reader's ticket.
Did you see "Cats on the Page" as well? We had a little time to
spare a couple of weeks ago, so nipped in for a look at them.

I have mixed feelings about their main exhibitions. They
generally get pretty busy and the artifacts are so small that
one's view is not always satisfactory.

A while ago, having enjoyed the TV programme, we went to one on
Royal Manuscripts, but found the experience somewhat inferior to
the view on the screen.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-02-01 09:22:40 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Went today. Quite interesting, but took over 1.75 hours to walk round. I also took the opportunity to renew my BL reader's ticket.
Did you see "Cats on the Page" as well? We had a little time to
spare a couple of weeks ago, so nipped in for a look at them.
Yes, I had time to look at that. I did not find it very interesting
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have mixed feelings about their main exhibitions. They
generally get pretty busy and the artifacts are so small that
one's view is not always satisfactory.
Yesterday they had (a copy of) the huge Ruthwell High Cross but, yes, most of the non-book exhibits were small.
I didn't get to that one. I am not near enough to London to go to them all
Chris J Dixon
2019-02-02 11:23:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I didn't get to that one. I am not near enough to London to go to them all
Nor are we. We probably go to London a couple of times a year,
usually for exhibitions, and try to use our time well, without
attempting to fit too much in.

On the last trip Edward Burne-Jones at Tate Britain was the
initial draw. We had time in hand when we arrived, so nipped in
to see Cats on the Page first. After E B-J and lunch at the Tate,
we decided that we would take the opportunity to see Charlie
Brown at Somerset House. I liked the material, but the layout was
poorly thought out. Fine if it had been empty, but not so good
when busy.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2019-02-02 13:14:11 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I didn't get to that one. I am not near enough to London to go to them all
Nor are we. We probably go to London a couple of times a year,
usually for exhibitions, and try to use our time well, without
attempting to fit too much in.
On the last trip Edward Burne-Jones at Tate Britain was the
initial draw. We had time in hand when we arrived, so nipped in
to see Cats on the Page first. After E B-J and lunch at the Tate,
we decided that we would take the opportunity to see Charlie
Brown at Somerset House. I liked the material, but the layout was
poorly thought out. Fine if it had been empty, but not so good
when busy.
We're off to Somerset House tomorrow, to the E B-J on Tuesday and can
probably see the Cats before the theatre on Thursday. It is such a
pleasure to be travelling to London for non-work related things, now
that I'm retired.
2019-02-02 18:11:29 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
The Impressionists section there used to be free on Mondays but not
sure if it is now. Also recall very nice chocolate cake in the cafe
there.
Vicky Ayech
2019-02-01 11:25:32 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Went today. Quite interesting, but took over 1.75 hours to walk round. I also took the opportunity to renew my BL reader's ticket.
Did you see "Cats on the Page" as well? We had a little time to
spare a couple of weeks ago, so nipped in for a look at them.
I have mixed feelings about their main exhibitions. They
generally get pretty busy and the artifacts are so small that
one's view is not always satisfactory.
A while ago, having enjoyed the TV programme, we went to one on
Royal Manuscripts, but found the experience somewhat inferior to
the view on the screen.
Chris
The Harry Potter medical herbs and spells thing was very good. I went
to that maybe a year ago with a gf.

https://www.bl.uk/events/harry-potter-a-history-of-magic
Mike
2019-02-01 11:30:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Was a young Edward Elgar involved?
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2019-02-01 13:04:25 UTC
Another interesting exhibition, this time in the Ashmolean, and this one is free!

"Dimensions: The Mathematics of Symmetry and Patterns"

16 Mar - 9 June.

No doubt details are on the Ashmolean's website.
Chris McMillan
2019-02-02 09:55:28 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I have just booked to go to the Saxon exhibition at the BL. Has anyone already been?
Went today. Quite interesting, but took over 1.75 hours to walk round. I
also took the opportunity to renew my BL reader's ticket.
Pace the weather forecasters, no snow at all till Oxfordshire and not a
lot from there home.
Tony
You didn’t come via Reading then!

Sincerely Chris
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Drive to far end of Oxford and take coach. Though some friends here recommend driving to Oxford Parkway and taking the train to Marylebone.
LFS
2019-02-02 13:10:41 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Pace the weather forecasters, no snow at all till Oxfordshire and not a
lot from there home.
Tony
You didn’t come via Reading then!
Drive to far end of Oxford and take coach. Though some friends here recommend driving to Oxford Parkway and taking the train to Marylebone.
Coach is cheaper but takes longer. I am a frequent flyer on the Tube and
the X90. As I have often said, the best thing about living in Oxford is
the bus to London.
2019-02-03 09:32:07 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Pace the weather forecasters, no snow at all till Oxfordshire and not a
lot from there home.
Tony
You didn’t come via Reading then!
Drive to far end of Oxford and take coach. Though some friends here
recommend driving to Oxford Parkway and taking the train to Marylebone.
Yes, to either. No one in their right mind fights with Great Western or
Virgin. I wouldn’t if I could help it. I used to have several travel
companions on Oxford bound trips. Stood up I have been!

2019-02-03 22:47:57 UTC
No one in their right mind fights with Great Western
FGW are about to sttart using some 30 year old electric trains on
Reading Oxford to upgrade the service from three coaches to four so
there should be greater capacity once the electrification is in place.
2019-02-04 16:15:16 UTC
No one in their right mind fights with Great Western
FGW are about to sttart using some 30 year old electric trains on
Reading Oxford to upgrade the service from three coaches to four so
there should be greater capacity once the electrification is in place.
Good, I prefer 30 year old electric trains.

2019-02-04 16:19:07 UTC
No one in their right mind fights with Great Western
FGW are about to sttart using some 30 year old electric trains on
Reading Oxford to upgrade the service from three coaches to four so
there should be greater capacity once the electrification is in place.
Good, I prefer 30 year old electric trains.
Sincerely Chris
But are they run on vegan energy - because if not, wouldn’t that reduce the
crowding a little? (I stir with a very long spoon sometimes)
Rosalind Mitchell
2019-02-04 16:28:17 UTC
No one in their right mind fights with Great Western
FGW are about to sttart using some 30 year old electric trains on
Reading Oxford to upgrade the service from three coaches to four so
there should be greater capacity once the electrification is in place.
Good, I prefer 30 year old electric trains.
It would be nice to have the old AM3s back on the Clyde lines. One of
the handsomest trains BR ever built. They would be nearer 60 years old
now though.