OT: Ask EU - free web hosting
2021-05-10 17:30:59 UTC
I run a small web site for a charity (too small to be a registered one) and
they have asked me if I could find free web hosting. There are quite a few
out there but I wondered if any of you could recommend anything in
particular? Or warn me off any of course! I usually follow the principle of
"you get what you pay for" and haven't been in favour of free web hosts up
to now but said I'd do a bit of research.
2021-05-10 18:31:51 UTC
On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 17:30:59, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
I run a small web site for a charity (too small to be a registered one) and
they have asked me if I could find free web hosting. There are quite a few
out there but I wondered if any of you could recommend anything in
particular? Or warn me off any of course! I usually follow the principle of
"you get what you pay for" and haven't been in favour of free web hosts up
to now but said I'd do a bit of research.
When Namesco - who took over the handling of the old *.demon.co.uk
sub-domains - started playing silly buggers, I switched to what I'd been
putting off for years, registering my own domain. It isn't free, but
it's so low - twentysomething a year - that I don't worry about it (nor
hunt for alternatives at renewal time). For that I get: domain
registration (I think that costs about 7 and is passed on as part of
what I pay), mail handling (including infinite variations in what goes
before the @), and a small website - plus the security of knowing that
_I_ own the domain.

I'm with tsoHost, whom I was recommended by the (mostly ex-)demonites;
I'd say they've gone downhill a bit, but mainly by switching to being
more for businesses - what I get still works fine. But look around: some
providers may be cheaper, in particular may offer a year or more free
registration (so a lower fee) for new customers. (Make sure that they
just _handle_ the registration for you - i. e. it's in your name not
theirs - though.)

I'd be wary of "free" - ask yourself, what are they getting out of it?
Could they withdraw it at short notice? How much effort would be
involved in telling everybody your new email/web address?

It's that last that I considered worth the (small) annual fee; telling
everybody my new email address *and making sure they were using it*
wasn't difficult, but is incredibly tedious. If you use a "free" email
provider (gmail, mostly), that's probably less of concern, but still
consider telling lots of people a new web address (plus how that looks
for a charity).

(You may ask how is it different if I fall out with my provider? Well,
as long as the domain is registered to me not them, I just switch to a
different provider, keeping the domain - I don't have to tell anybody.)

Good luck whatever you decide!

I remember a lot of questions on a vocalist forum about the problems singing
"There is a balm in Gilead" without making it sound like a security alert. -
Linda Fox in UMRA, 2010-11-19
Sally Thompson
2021-05-10 18:56:20 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
TsoHosts is one I've looked at, but not free. The domain is already
registered separately by me and not connected to the hosting, and the email
address is also managed by me and I act as postman for the charity. It's a
free gmail one so there is no problem in changing email address, ie it
isn't in the format ***@domain. But thanks!
Sjouke Burry
2021-05-11 05:38:27 UTC
I run a small web site for a charity (too small to be a registered one) and
they have asked me if I could find free web hosting. There are quite a few
out there but I wondered if any of you could recommend anything in
particular? Or warn me off any of course! I usually follow the principle of
"you get what you pay for" and haven't been in favour of free web hosts up
to now but said I'd do a bit of research.
Check whether your provider has cheap/free website service.
My provider has that with a 32MB limit for email+website.
Sally Thompson
2021-05-11 08:54:02 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Sally Thompson
I run a small web site for a charity (too small to be a registered one) and
they have asked me if I could find free web hosting. There are quite a few
out there but I wondered if any of you could recommend anything in
particular? Or warn me off any of course! I usually follow the principle of
"you get what you pay for" and haven't been in favour of free web hosts up
to now but said I'd do a bit of research.
Check whether your provider has cheap/free website service.
My provider has that with a 32MB limit for email+website.
Sadly not - I did look! Also I don't really want this particular website
connected to "my" personal provider.