Are Umrats all out in this glorious sunshine again?
2018-11-23 13:36:55 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
2018-11-23 14:03:00 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Fighting the gods of microsoft. Win 10 update has caused a few problems
which I think are now sorted. Not heard TA this week so far except
Sunday but will catch up tomorrow.

Various plans to go shopping have come to naught and keep getting
distracted with various problems with a small charity where we are short
of Trustees and so being bombarded with emails. Complicated!
2018-11-25 18:13:55 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Fighting the gods of microsoft. Win 10 update has caused a few problems
which I think are now sorted. Not heard TA this week so far except
Sunday but will catch up tomorrow.
Various plans to go shopping have come to naught and keep getting
distracted with various problems with a small charity where we are short
of Trustees and so being bombarded with emails. Complicated!
Small charity: you have my sympathy!

2018-11-23 14:05:23 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
I've been watching my petition crawl along, after it was finally
approved at the third attempt. It got a small boost when mentioned in a
newsletter - if a 'rat can mention (and link to) it on grans/mumsnet,
twitter, or facebook, it might give another little boost (-:

Otherwise, not a lot to post about. TA has lots of interesting
storylines, but nothing I can think of to comment on that hasn't already
been said (by me or others).

It hasn't covered Brexit much; I think the three-week (or so) lag is a
real handicap for the SWs.

It looks to _me_ as if the latest Brexit "plan" might be dead in the
water: whether it in itself is good or bad, I'm in two minds - it has
some good things, but some I'm very concerned about. (And no, I haven't
read it.) However, either way, at _present_, it looks like it won't get
through parliament anyway, so whether it's good or bad is moot. (One
thing that's irritating is I haven't seen any mention of _when_
parliament is actually going to _have_ that vote. Presumably not until
after the EU has said yes to it, but at the moment it looks as if _they_
will, this weekend I think.)

Assuming it _doesn't_ get through parliament, and the chance of getting
any _other_ agreement from EU being - we're being told at present! -
low, the remaining options seem to be: a no-deal Brexit, or stay in.
Either would require A Lot Of Work, in a short time: no-deal Brexit
means phenomenal work to prepare, in only four months including the
Christmas break - would still cause major disruption, though I think we
could mitigate it _somewhat_ if we worked at it (and some bodies are
already preparing); staying in would _probably_ require another
referendum, and I don't know what the legal timescales are about such
things (we've only had three or four in my lifetime: joining the common
market, revising the voting system, and leaving the EU). I suppose
another outside possibility is _postponing_ the exit date (say by a
year): I have no idea whether that's possible (it would certainly need
EU agreement - I think), and I'm not sure what it would achieve.

There - that should put an end to "it's quiet in here innit" (-:!

Have you ever heard about a petition, disagreed with it, but been frustrated
that there's no way you can *show* that you disagree? If so, have a look at
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 - and please pass it on if you
agree, especially to twitter, facebook, gransnet/mumsnet, or any such forum.

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse.)
Mike
2018-11-23 14:17:55 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Otherwise, not a lot to post about. TA has lots of interesting
storylines, but nothing I can think of to comment on that hasn't already
been said (by me or others).
It hasn't covered Brexit much; I....
Wo-Wo-Wo-Woooooo there Jpeg, mentioning Bre.... in this place,,, isn’t that
akin to mentioning a certain German person???
Shame on you Sir!
2018-11-23 15:43:22 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Otherwise, not a lot to post about. TA has lots of interesting
storylines, but nothing I can think of to comment on that hasn't already
been said (by me or others).
It hasn't covered Brexit much; I....
Wo-Wo-Wo-Woooooo there Jpeg, mentioning Bre.... in this place,,, isn’t that
akin to mentioning a certain German person???
Shame on you Sir!
My apologies to all UMRAts if some such agreement had been made; I
wasn't aware of it.

WANTED, Dead AND Alive: Schrodinger's Cat
Mike
2018-11-23 16:25:45 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Otherwise, not a lot to post about. TA has lots of interesting
storylines, but nothing I can think of to comment on that hasn't already
been said (by me or others).
It hasn't covered Brexit much; I....
Wo-Wo-Wo-Woooooo there Jpeg, mentioning Bre.... in this place,,, isn’t that
akin to mentioning a certain German person???
Shame on you Sir!
Jpeg, it is an unwritten rule that I have unwritten myself ;-)))
2018-11-23 16:04:14 UTC
I think the three-week (or so) lag is a real handicap for the SWs.
Keri said this week he had just finished writing an epsiode due for
broadcast in February.

I think he finished some around Xmas / New Year a while ago and I would
imagine those will be recorded in the very near future.

I get the feeling that the period between deciding story lines and the
action appearing in front of our ears has grown in recent years.
2018-11-23 16:33:26 UTC
I think the three-week (or so) lag is a real handicap for the SWs.
Keri said this week he had just finished writing an epsiode due for
broadcast in February.
I think he finished some around Xmas / New Year a while ago and I would
imagine those will be recorded in the very near future.
I get the feeling that the period between deciding story lines and the
action appearing in front of our ears has grown in recent years.
I share your feeling - certainly if the examples you quote above are
correct, it looks like it's more three months than three weeks (maybe it
was always so, and the three weeks is only from _recording_).

It does push TA further towards being a drama, disconnected from the
real world, though )-:.

krw
2018-11-23 17:09:41 UTC
disconnected from the real world,
We know it is real and there is no cast. Wash your mouth out now.
2018-11-23 18:41:57 UTC
disconnected from the real world,
We know it is real and there is no cast. Wash your mouth out now.
I think that Jpeg was referring to the present government actually. ;-)
2018-11-23 19:30:15 UTC
disconnected from the real world,
We know it is real and there is no cast. Wash your mouth out now.
I think that Jpeg was referring to the present government actually. ;-)
Yes, they and the media (at least our media) _do_ seem even more
self-obsessed than usual; as if either changing the leader of the blue
party or a general election will make any difference to the progress of
B... that which Mike says I mustn't mention (-:

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Nick Odell
2018-11-23 23:48:48 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Anybody else got "Born Under a Bad Sign" going through their head?

With a last line "If it wasn't for 'where are you all?' posts, I
wouldn't have no posts at all."

Oh, please yourselves, then.

2018-11-24 07:06:07 UTC
Didn’t really mean it about the sunshine, rain and dark grey clouds seem to
be the weather of the week here, however, Umrats must be elsewhere doing
summat else! Helllloooooo!
Anybody else got "Born Under a Bad Sign" going through their head?
With a last line "If it wasn't for 'where are you all?' posts, I
wouldn't have no posts at all."
Not until now. Thanks a bunch, Nick.

(I'm thinking of the feeble Paul Rodgers version from The Royal
Sessions, of which I wrote, "..in Born Under A Bad Sign the line 'If it
wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all' has the air of
someone at a comfortable dinner party complaining that their Waitrose
delivery was late this morning, complete with soulless, by-numbers lead
guitar."

I couldn't really believe that the great Paul Rodgers would make such a
poor version, but he did...and it's the one that gets stuck in my head
whenever I think of the song. Nature can be very cruel sometimes.)
2018-11-24 07:49:46 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 07:06:07 +0000, Sid Nuncius
[...]
Happy to have been of assistance :)

2018-11-24 10:24:44 UTC
[...]
Well, you're forgiven now. I've just been looking at a little garment
steamer and my new earworm is "Garment Steamer..." to the tune of Kate
Bush's Army Dreamers.

No-one knows how I suffer. :o)
2018-11-24 11:07:22 UTC
[...]
Except perhaps Kate Bush ;-)
2018-11-24 11:12:32 UTC
Well, you're forgiven now. I've just been looking at a little garment
steamer and my new earworm is "Garment Steamer..." to the tune of Kate
Bush's Army Dreamers.
No-one knows how I suffer. :o)
Except perhaps Kate Bush ;-)
Well, as we always used to say, one in Kate Bush is worth two in the...

All right, all right! I'm going.
2018-11-24 12:02:56 UTC
Well, you're forgiven now. I've just been looking at a little garment
steamer and my new earworm is "Garment Steamer..." to the tune of Kate
Bush's Army Dreamers.
No-one knows how I suffer. :o)
Except perhaps Kate Bush ;-)
Well, as we always used to say, one in Kate Bush is worth two in the...
All right, all right! I'm going.
Did that take you to Wuthering Heights?
2018-11-24 12:06:20 UTC
[...]
While for me it's the Homer Simpson version, I don't think I'd heard any
other when I met that. One of my children acquired a tape 'The Simpsons
Sing the Blues' which we enjoyed in the car for some time.
I've just been listening to it