spoilers Sunday 26/8/18
2018-08-26 20:55:13 UTC
Just listening to Russ malecowpooing Lily. What a load of it.
And while Lizzie reacted very sensibly, after her wise ten minute
withdrawal to scream and thump the pillows. I don't think she is quite
as sure as Lily that Russ is A Good Person. And it seems Lily lied
since she said Russ is no longer with his wife. If Freddie and Lily
tell her enough of the stories so she works out that Russ knew Freddie
was dealing.......
Serena Blanchflower
2018-08-27 07:51:25 UTC
Just listening to Russ malecowpooing Lily. What a load of it.
And while Lizzie reacted very sensibly, after her wise ten minute
withdrawal to scream and thump the pillows. I don't think she is quite
as sure as Lily that Russ is A Good Person. And it seems Lily lied
since she said Russ is no longer with his wife. If Freddie and Lily
tell her enough of the stories so she works out that Russ knew Freddie
was dealing.......
I think she made it very clear to Shula that she is far from convinced
that Russ is a good person or, at least, that he isn't a good person for
Lily. There's going to be further anguish for her though as she
discovers, as she's bound to, more of the lies she's been told. Both
the fact that, if Russ's marriage is really over, this is going to be
news to his wife and the mutual blackmailing pact that's been running
between Freddie and Lily.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
DavidK
2018-08-27 11:15:58 UTC
vuss
[...]
I must be more naive than I thought I was because I thought Russ sounded
genuine. There are only two weeks left until Manchester; why would he
still be leading her on if it is only a summer romance?

PS When did she turn 18?
Penny
2018-08-27 11:36:56 UTC
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 12:15:58 +0100, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
vuss
[...]
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
Post by DavidK
PS When did she turn 18?
12/12/17
2018-08-27 12:21:57 UTC
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
2018-08-27 12:38:25 UTC
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
Would this mean that with sudden death, notice would have to be given in
advance;-)
the Omrud
2018-08-27 14:04:17 UTC
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
Half a term for non-management teachers. A term for Heads and Deputy
Heads. However, Russ works in an FE college, which undoubtedly has
different rules.

This is what ATL (Wife's teaching union) say:

/
Notice periods for lecturers in further education vary from college to
college but are generally longer than in schools.
/

So it could be even longer than a term for a Deputy Principal.
David
Fenny
2018-08-27 14:20:00 UTC
Post by the Omrud
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
Half a term for non-management teachers. A term for Heads and Deputy
Heads. However, Russ works in an FE college, which undoubtedly has
different rules.
/
Notice periods for lecturers in further education vary from college to
college but are generally longer than in schools.
/
So it could be even longer than a term for a Deputy Principal.
At his level it would be a minimum of 3 months, unless they sacked him
for gross misconduct - which this is, if it is discovered.
2018-08-27 18:38:37 UTC
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
They do, even at higher/further education. Quite plain to me on that point
alone.

2018-08-27 21:47:41 UTC
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 18:38:37 GMT, Chris McMillan
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
They do, even at higher/further education. Quite plain to me on that point
alone.
Deputy principals are not teachers, they are management.

FE colleges have teaching staff and support staff. Someone at Russ's
level would have to give a minimum of 3 months' notice.
2018-08-28 08:44:35 UTC
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 22:47:41 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 18:38:37 GMT, Chris McMillan
If he isn't why was he in College when he has, according to Lily, resigned?
I thought all teachers had to work a term's notice, so even if he has
resigned he cannot leave until Xmas.
They do, even at higher/further education. Quite plain to me on that point
alone.
Deputy principals are not teachers, they are management.
Yet apparently he teaches art.
Post by Fenny
FE colleges have teaching staff and support staff. Someone at Russ's
level would have to give a minimum of 3 months' notice.
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?). I think
he was still teaching too - I could ask him.
2018-08-28 09:57:40 UTC
Post by Fenny
FE colleges have teaching staff and support staff. Someone at Russ's
level would have to give a minimum of 3 months' notice.
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?). I think
he was still teaching too - I could ask him.
We had Deans at Bulmershe College of H.E., they also taught.
2018-08-28 17:21:54 UTC
Post by Fenny
FE colleges have teaching staff and support staff. Someone at Russ's
level would have to give a minimum of 3 months' notice.
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?). I think
he was still teaching too - I could ask him.
I suppose it is a pretty small college. Ours had 6 sites, each with
it's own Vice Principal to oversee it. But still, at that level 3
months would be the minimum.
2018-08-31 17:44:10 UTC
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?).
Not only that, how many Deans make five?
2018-08-31 17:46:18 UTC
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?).
Not only that, how many Deans make five?
A Dean, a Dean, half a Dean....
2018-08-31 20:05:35 UTC
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?).
Not only that, how many Deans make five?
A Dean, a Dean, half a Dean....
I can’t stand chorizo.
2018-09-01 06:31:55 UTC
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?).
Not only that, how many Deans make five?
A Dean, a Dean, half a Dean....
I can’t stand chorizo.
Against your window, bringing back sweet memories?
2018-09-01 15:27:54 UTC
My college tutor later became Dean (what is a Dean of a college?).
Not only that, how many Deans make five?
A Dean, a Dean, half a Dean....
I can’t stand chorizo.
Against your window, bringing back sweet memories?
All alone in the moonlight, I can dream of the old days

Nick
(now there's an earworm you'd rather not have had)

Mike
2018-08-27 12:36:44 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss
[...]
Russ seems to be very insincere on the subject of telling his wife he is
through with her; one time he announces that he will tell her as soon as
she returns home, then he ‘waiting for the right moment’. Methinks there is
the niff of rodential material there....
2018-08-27 13:56:13 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
The impression I get is that he's a weak man who, at least at the
moment, wants to go with Lily but who can't bring himself to make any of
the necessary decisions or commitments which would make this happen. It
sounds as if he's been continually promising to tell his wife but not
actually doing it. Equally, he clearly hasn't done anything about
handing in his resignation and Lily seems to be expecting him to be free
to move to Manchester with her next month, without even being aware that
he would need to work his notice period.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
krw
2018-08-27 14:07:56 UTC
Lily seems to be expecting him to be free to move to Manchester with her
next month, without even being aware that he would need to work his
notice period.
Lily did say something recently about him leaving without working his
notice period as he was giving up teaching so a reference would not matter.
2018-08-27 14:11:34 UTC
Lily seems to be expecting him to be free to move to Manchester with
her next month, without even being aware that he would need to work
his notice period.
Lily did say something recently about him leaving without working his
notice period as he was giving up teaching so a reference would not matter.
Yes, you're right. She also said, I think, that he was going to try to
establish himself as an artist, which suggests he isn't planning to get
himself another paid job anytime soon. I wonder what Lily thinks
they're both going to live on? Again, this sounds as if it's pure
fantasy on Russ's part; a lovely dream but not something which will
actually happen in reality.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
krw
2018-08-27 14:17:27 UTC
Lily seems to be expecting him to be free to move to Manchester with
her next month, without even being aware that he would need to work
his notice period.
Lily did say something recently about him leaving without working his
notice period as he was giving up teaching so a reference would not matter.
Yes, you're right.  She also said, I think, that he was going to try to
establish himself as an artist, which suggests he isn't planning to get
himself another paid job anytime soon.  I wonder what Lily thinks
they're both going to live on?  Again, this sounds as if it's pure
fantasy on Russ's part; a lovely dream but not something which will
actually happen in reality.
Her student grant and handouts from Lizzie. I assume there are no
children so no maintenance.
the Omrud
2018-08-27 14:15:43 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
Has she arranged a hall of residence place? She can't just move her
paramour in. If not, she'll be hard pressed to find a place to live in
Manchester for the upcoming term, unless she has oodles of cash.
David
krw
2018-08-27 14:30:27 UTC
Has she arranged a hall of residence place?  She can't just move her
paramour in.  If not, she'll be hard pressed to find a place to live in
Manchester for the upcoming term, unless she has oodles of cash.
Friends of Russ are finding them a flat to share, so no problem with a
place in hall.
2018-08-27 18:44:52 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
She’ll then beg mummy of course ......

2018-08-27 14:43:29 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
Never mind the minor matter of being appointed to a new Mancunian post.
2018-08-27 17:44:22 UTC
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 14:56:13 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
I wonder if he really told his parents, and if so why. Or if he
decided the story would reassure Lily as to his intentions.
Mike
2018-08-27 17:59:35 UTC
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 14:56:13 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
I suspect the latter, this was my own feeling as he said it; I suspect that
he is a lump of excremental substance that is a stranger to the truth.
Clive Arthur
2018-08-27 23:36:25 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
Tell me more, tell me more, like does he have a wife?
Tell me more, tell me more, like does your cousin have a knife?
Post by DavidK
PS When did she turn 18?
Cheers
Clive
carolet
2018-08-28 10:50:34 UTC
Post by DavidK
vuss v
[...]
My thoughts too.
Post by DavidK
PS When did she turn 18?
In December.

If I remember correctly, that is when Elizabeth produced the painting
for Lily and .... (what was it?) for Freddie, that Nigel had put aside
for them.

According to Lily, it was her talking to Russ about the picture that got
them together. In this case she must already have been 18, so why was
she talking about waiting until she was 18 before anything happened?

I presume that the picture is really quite valuable, as well as lovely,
not the sort of thing that just any 18 year old would be given for her
birthday. That could possibly be a factor in what Russ sees in Lily.
2018-08-28 11:08:05 UTC
vuss v
Post by DavidK
PS When did she turn 18?
In December.
If I remember correctly, that is when Elizabeth produced the painting
for Lily and .... (what was it?) for Freddie, that Nigel had put aside
for them.
According to Lily, it was her talking to Russ about the picture that got
them together. In this case she must already have been 18, so why was
she talking about waiting until she was 18 before anything happened?
I presume that the picture is really quite valuable, as well as lovely,
not the sort of thing that just any 18 year old would be given for her
birthday. That could possibly be a factor in what Russ sees in Lily.
Very probably. Especially if he's genuinely planning to walk away from
his current job with no reference and in the hope of surviving as an
artist. That sounds as if he's assuming Lily has a lavish trust fund,
which will support him in the style to which he is accustomed.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
Mike
2018-08-28 11:13:41 UTC
vuss v
Post by DavidK
[...]
Were T.A. a TV soap, I imagine Terry Thomas could have taken on Russ’s
character.
2018-08-28 12:30:46 UTC
Very probably. Especially if he's genuinely planning to walk away from
his current job with no reference and in the hope of surviving as an
artist. That sounds as if he's assuming Lily has a lavish trust fund,
which will support him in the style to which he is accustomed.
I hope they both end up dying of TB in a garret somewhere.
2018-08-28 12:50:09 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Very probably. Especially if he's genuinely planning to walk away from
his current job with no reference and in the hope of surviving as an
artist. That sounds as if he's assuming Lily has a lavish trust fund,
which will support him in the style to which he is accustomed.
I hope they both end up dying of TB in a garret somewhere.
And won’t they like ashen grey in the north light...
2018-08-28 20:40:40 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Very probably. Especially if he's genuinely planning to walk away from
his current job with no reference and in the hope of surviving as an
artist. That sounds as if he's assuming Lily has a lavish trust fund,
which will support him in the style to which he is accustomed.
I hope they both end up dying of TB in a garret somewhere.
Look, I know Thunderbird isn't great, but it doesn't kill you know.

Billy the Kid however....
Chris McMillan
2018-08-28 13:07:34 UTC
vuss v
Post by DavidK
[...]
........... He’s in for a rude surprise.