Ask EU - Beeb site sign in
2018-11-13 18:26:30 UTC
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
Save for me with Firefox on Linux
Nick Odell
2018-11-13 20:34:06 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
Save for me with Firefox on Linux
Likewise for me, the same. Have you instructed your browser not to save
passwords? Are you using a Private Browser page or deleting cookies on
exit? If so, you might need to change those settings in order to stay
signed up - but afterwards you ought to be able to change (most of) them
back again.

2018-11-14 09:22:19 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
Save for me with Firefox on Linux
Likewise for me, the same. Have you instructed your browser not to save
passwords? Are you using a Private Browser page or deleting cookies on
exit? If so, you might need to change those settings in order to stay
signed up - but afterwards you ought to be able to change (most of) them
back again.
Nick
I meant to write same, not save, and I meant that my browser saves my
login-details and I only have to click yes on the page, but I'd prefer
to not even have to do that.
Mike
2018-11-14 09:41:50 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Nick Odell
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
Save for me with Firefox on Linux
Likewise for me, the same. Have you instructed your browser not to save
passwords? Are you using a Private Browser page or deleting cookies on
exit? If so, you might need to change those settings in order to stay
signed up - but afterwards you ought to be able to change (most of) them
back again.
Nick
I meant to write same, not save, and I meant that my browser saves my
login-details and I only have to click yes on the page, but I'd prefer
to not even have to do that.
I am using Safari and have been through every single setting to check for a
likely cause and contrary to my better feelings, have allowed Aunty to have
her wicked way with cookies and all the rest of it - I still see David
Att’s fizogg and an invitation to sign in every time.
2018-11-14 11:02:22 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Nick Odell
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
[...]
I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 and don't sign in each time for LA.
Sometimes it forgets my location for the weather on the BBC and I
remind it but again no sign in. I think we've set the tv iplayer to
stop asking too now and to do it automatically. After saying this it
will probably ask for passwords again,.
DavidK
2018-11-14 11:16:41 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Nick Odell
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
[...]
Oh Senility! I had totally forgotten that I have an addon going to
delete all cookies at the end of the session. I've just added bbc to the
white-list, closed the browser, opened it again and now bbc doesn't ask
me to login or affirm I have a TV licence.
krw
2018-11-14 11:28:47 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
Post by Nick Odell
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike
[...]
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC software.
I miss the old radio downloader programme.
2018-11-14 12:03:21 UTC
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC software.
I miss the old radio downloader programme.
Miss it? I still use Radio Downloader for programmes that are downloadable.
2018-11-14 12:25:36 UTC
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC
software. I miss the old radio downloader programme.
Miss it? I still use Radio Downloader for programmes that are downloadable.
I stopped using it years ago when the creator announced on his blog that
the latest change at the Beeb had broken RDL and it wasn't fixable and
goodbye. Do you mean it's up and running again? That's good news if it is.

2018-11-14 12:45:24 UTC
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC
software. I miss the old radio downloader programme.
Miss it? I still use Radio Downloader for programmes that are
downloadable.
I stopped using it years ago when the creator announced on his blog that
the latest change at the Beeb had broken RDL and it wasn't fixable and
goodbye. Do you mean it's up and running again? That's good news if it is.
To answer my own question. 26 June 2013. I think that's when I said "Oh
well, that's that then" and started to get to used to get_iplayer. But
there's obviously been a lot of activity in the meantime. I'll have to
download it and give it a try.

Thanks for flagging it up!

2018-11-14 12:53:40 UTC
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC
software. I miss the old radio downloader programme.
Miss it? I still use Radio Downloader for programmes that are downloadable.
I stopped using it years ago when the creator announced on his blog
that the latest change at the Beeb had broken RDL and it wasn't
fixable and goodbye. Do you mean it's up and running again? That's
good news if it is.
To answer my own question. 26 June 2013. I think that's when I said "Oh
well, that's that then" and started to get to used to get_iplayer. But
there's obviously been a lot of activity in the meantime. I'll have to
download it and give it a try.
Thanks for flagging it up!
Nick
Looking at what I can see about it online it implies that it does not
down load BBC radio. Am I missing the point?
2018-11-14 13:50:56 UTC
For wireless I am still using get_iplayer rather than any BBC
software. I miss the old radio downloader programme.
Miss it? I still use Radio Downloader for programmes that are downloadable.
I stopped using it years ago when the creator announced on his blog
that the latest change at the Beeb had broken RDL and it wasn't
fixable and goodbye. Do you mean it's up and running again? That's
good news if it is.
To answer my own question. 26 June 2013. I think that's when I said
"Oh well, that's that then" and started to get to used to get_iplayer.
But there's obviously been a lot of activity in the meantime. I'll
have to download it and give it a try.
Thanks for flagging it up!
Nick
Looking at what I can see about it online it implies that it does not
down load BBC radio.  Am I missing the point?
I have last night TA on it, I think that everything that I get it to
download is from the BBC.
2018-11-14 14:09:45 UTC
krw wrote:

[Radio downloader]
Post by krw
Looking at what I can see about it online it implies that it does not
down load BBC radio. Am I missing the point?
It used to be able to download pretty much any programme. At BBC
insistence, this was disabled. Now it can be used to manage any
podcasts (BBC or others) that have an RSS feed, which it seems to
do fairly efficiently. Sadly, it seems that RSS is no longer
favourite, and some things outside the BBC that I would like to
hear do not offer this facility.

My wants, being based around my desktop, and having no real use
for mobile access, are clearly different from the mean these
days. The new "BBC Sounds" (1) (2) doesn't really attract me at
all.

Instead of having to go in search of stuff to listen to, I simply
want to subscribe to programmes, have them appear in a list on my
PC, and work through them as I like.

I can appreciate that for reasons of rights management the BBC
can't make all programmes, especially those with music,
available. For my part, I find that I rarely seek out what I
cannot get automatically downloaded, so don't listen at all. They
have effectively lost me as a listener to these programmes.

(1) Surely a product of Perfect Curve.

(2) If they are so keen to have a one-stop shop, why isn't Sound
accessible on a smart TV?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-11-14 16:16:39 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[Radio downloader]
Post by krw
[...]
Chris
The majority of my downloads are BBC programmes containing music and not
podcasts, so it won't work for me as these come down to the desktop.
The couple of podcasts to which I do listen are downloaded to the phone.
2018-11-14 19:32:33 UTC
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:09:45 +0000, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
If they are so keen to have a one-stop shop, why isn't Sound
accessible on a smart TV?
BBC Radio is recordable on my FreeSat box (yours too, I assume). Sadly it
is not simple to transfer it from there onto a mobile device.
2018-11-15 08:47:04 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
If they are so keen to have a one-stop shop, why isn't Sound
accessible on a smart TV?
BBC Radio is recordable on my FreeSat box (yours too, I assume). Sadly it
is not simple to transfer it from there onto a mobile device.
Yes, my Freeview PVR will do that, but can't do catch up or
explore the expanding BBC archive, which I understand they are
intending to keep growing massively.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Clive Arthur
2018-11-13 21:59:04 UTC
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
It makes me very cross. I pay their wages.

Cheers
Clive
Fenny
2018-11-14 18:20:05 UTC
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:59:04 +0000, Clive Arthur
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
Every time this Umrat attempts to LA, I have to sign in and face David
Att’s fizog; there appears to be no way of saving my sign in details when
using an IPad with the latest ios - anyotherats found this and, if so is
there any way to reduce this tedious task please?
It makes me very cross. I pay their wages.
I don't. I only watch their stuff when I'm staying at Ma's. But even
then, only the odd thing.

If they reverted to having a radio licence, I would pay for that.