Completely OT: Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience
2020-04-27 08:27:08 UTC
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience, but
I'm a big fan. Those who share my view might like to know that the new
series is starting to appear on iPlayer (presumably because it's being
shown in Wales before the rest of us get it on BBC2).

I thought the first in the new series, Care Worker, was excellent and
very apposite at the moment:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hqvk/rhod-gilberts-work-experience-series-9-1-care-worker

THBAPSA.
2020-04-27 16:43:18 UTC
On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 09:27:08 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience, but
I'm a big fan. Those who share my view might like to know that the new
series is starting to appear on iPlayer (presumably because it's being
shown in Wales before the rest of us get it on BBC2).
I've been a fan since it started. He has grown and changed as a person over
the years, probably, in part, because of making the series. Very early on
he said he was very uncomfortable being touched by another person. He'd
apparently got over that by the end of that first series.
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought the first in the new series, Care Worker, was excellent and
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hqvk/rhod-gilberts-work-experience-series-9-1-care-worker
THBAPSA.
I haven't watched it yet, thinking it was another repeat (I get all regions
of BBC1 on satellite - it can get confusing).
Peter Percival
THBAPSA.
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-29 09:20:22 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert
He makes the most deplorable noise.
In what way?
Peter Percival
2020-04-29 09:23:57 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert
He makes the most deplorable noise.
In what way?
His voice is ugly. And he seems to believe, as do many modern
comedians, that ranting is comedic.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-04-29 10:05:44 UTC
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 10:23:57, Peter Percival
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert
He makes the most deplorable noise.
In what way?
His voice is ugly. And he seems to believe, as do many modern
comedians, that ranting is comedic.
Well said. Well, I don't (AFAIK) know Rhod Gilbert, but I agree with the
ranting point.

Where it's just endless repetition (usually with shouting), that is;
much the same, to my ears, as endless bad language just for its own
shock value (which diminishes with overuse anyway).

Marcus Brigstocke I consider _an_ (not necessarily the) exception to
ranting: his rants are reasoned, and not shouty. And Billy Connolly for
swearing: he (despite what many think) _doesn't_ do it a lot, which
makes it more effective when he does. In both of these examples, I think
the underlying _intelligence_ is the important thing. (And intelligence
is far from the same thing as education! Those two illustrate that
difference very well; BC did not have the benefit of an education [I
think MB probably did], but is IMO extremely intelligent.)

YMMV: humour is very variable/personal. (I should try some Rhod Gilbert,
I suppose.)

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Peter Percival
So far as radio humour is concerned, few can match John Finnemore.
Mike
2020-04-29 10:40:34 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
And even he seems to have ‘gone off’ (resting on his laurels perhaps?)
Mike Ruddock
2020-04-29 11:20:56 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
You can catch him, in his guise as Arthur Shappey, on YouTube. Look for
Cabin Fever.

Mike Ruddock
Penny
2020-04-29 12:26:07 UTC
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:20:56 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike
Post by Peter Percival
So far as radio humour is concerned, few can match John Finnemore.
And even he seems to have ‘gone off’ (resting on his laurels perhaps?)
You can catch him, in his guise as Arthur Shappey, on YouTube. Look for
Cabin Fever.
Knew I should have read the rest of the thread before commenting...

He has also done some lovely little animated illustrations of some of his
radio work.

Links to those and much more on his sporadic blog - you could start from
the beginning http://johnfinnemore.blogspot.com/2005/
2020-04-29 12:19:15 UTC
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 10:40:34 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Marcus Brigstocke I consider _an_ (not necessarily the) exception to
ranting: his rants are reasoned, and not shouty. And Billy Connolly for
swearing: he (despite what many think) _doesn't_ do it a lot, which
makes it more effective when he does. In both of these examples, I think
the underlying _intelligence_ is the important thing. (And intelligence
is far from the same thing as education! Those two illustrate that
difference very well; BC did not have the benefit of an education [I
think MB probably did], but is IMO extremely intelligent.)
Much observational comedy includes the odd rant.
Ben Elton tended to overdo it on Saturday Night Live.
David Mitchell amuses so many of his colleagues they actively try to
trigger a rant from him.
Jeremy Hardy needed no such encouragement.
Rachel Parris does it very politely.
Post by Mike
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
YMMV: humour is very variable/personal. (I should try some Rhod Gilbert,
I suppose.)
So far as radio humour is concerned, few can match John Finnemore.
And even he seems to have ‘gone off’ (resting on his laurels perhaps?)
He, or rather Arthur Shappey, has been making short lockdown videos
published on YouTube as 'Cabin Fever' from Carolyn's 'Granny annexe', as
mentioned here a few weeks back.
steve hague
2020-04-29 10:33:54 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Yes, comedy is very subjective. Swearing is generally a complete turn
off for me, but I make an exception for Billy Connolly. I'm missing
Miranda Hart, but don't see the point in Michael Macintyre. Watching old
comedy shows on YouTube, I was surprised how badly French and Saunders
progammes had aged, but how funny Harry Enfield remains.
Steve
Anne B
2020-04-29 22:16:16 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert
He makes the most deplorable noise.
 In what way?
His voice is ugly.  And he seems to believe, as do many modern
comedians, that ranting is comedic.
Well said. Well, I don't (AFAIK) know Rhod Gilbert, but I agree with the
ranting point.
+1

If it isn't funny to start with, no amount of shouting or obscenity will
make it funny.

Anne B
Peter Percival
Anne B
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-29 17:09:30 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't know whether otherrats like Rhod Gilbert
He makes the most deplorable noise.
In what way?
His voice is ugly.  And he seems to believe, as do many modern
comedians, that ranting is comedic.
Thank you. I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
2020-04-29 18:44:42 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-30 05:17:14 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
And he seems to be a very nice man, which shows especially in the Carers
episode of Work Experience. I don't think it's just a carefully
cultivated persona for the camera.
2020-04-30 08:12:03 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
And he seems to be a very nice man, which shows especially in the Carers
episode of Work Experience.  I don't think it's just a carefully
cultivated persona for the camera.
Yes, that came through when interviewing the fired candidates. They had
the mick taken, but not in a nasty way and with a lot of sympathy.
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-30 08:29:42 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
And he seems to be a very nice man, which shows especially in the
Carers episode of Work Experience.  I don't think it's just a
carefully cultivated persona for the camera.
Yes, that came through when interviewing the fired candidates. They had
the mick taken, but not in a nasty way and with a lot of sympathy.
Agreed. I'm not nearly so keen on Tom Allen in the role, although I
find him very entertaining on panel shows and the like. When he does
TAYF it's far too much about him and he's not so decent to the candidates.
<LW>
Joe Kerr
2020-04-30 16:16:23 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
And he seems to be a very nice man, which shows especially in the Carers
episode of Work Experience.  I don't think it's just a carefully
cultivated persona for the camera.
If so, that will hit his tax bill.
Ric
Peter Percival
2020-04-30 12:56:08 UTC
My experience is radio only, I have not the telly box.
Min
2020-04-30 23:42:51 UTC
Thank you.  I disagree but I understand your meaning now.
I agree. He was very funny on The Apprentice You're Fired...
Oh, him! I didn't actively dislike him, which is a boodly good
review for a moddun comedian from me.
--
Min