Song for Dominic Cummings
Joe Kerr
2020-06-03 15:26:26 UTC
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus

Ric
steveski
2020-06-04 00:30:45 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
I like Ms. Keane and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.

40,000 (and more) off of the pensions/state benefits list? It's a Tory
wet dream . . . and I don't mean the vegetables . . .

Sorry, Pardon. [1]

[1] Err, not.
BrritSki
2020-06-04 07:36:53 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
I like Ms. Keane and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
40,000 (and more) off of the pensions/state benefits list? It's a Tory
wet dream . . . and I don't mean the vegetables . . .
That is an outrageous suggestion, completely deranged. Apart from
anything else, why would they want to kill of their own voters
disproportionally ?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-04 07:57:34 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
I like Ms. Keane and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
I enjoy many of her compositions, both for humour and musical quality; I
don't think this is one of her best, but that's probably because it's
too near to the truth and clouding my assessment. I'm glad she's still
well and performing and creating!
40,000 (and more) off of the pensions/state benefits list? It's a Tory
wet dream . . . and I don't mean the vegetables . . .
That is an outrageous suggestion, completely deranged. Apart from
anything else, why would they want to kill of their own voters
disproportionally ?
Though true in many respects, I think the stereotype of the Tory voter
as being in blue-rinse, twinset and pearls (what _is_ a twinset?) is a
_little_ frayed at the edges: a lot of older folk are _not_ necessarily
unthinking Tory voters any more - how do we think Jill votes, for
example? (TA has always been pretty careful to hide the political
leanings of the characters - on the whole, I'd say thank goodness). And
there's a lot of Tory support among, say, "Essex man" - small
businesses, not all old folk. I would imagine Eddie might vote blue, for
example.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-04 08:08:47 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:57:34 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
A short-sleeved jumper and matching cardigan. I had such.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
_little_ frayed at the edges: a lot of older folk are _not_ necessarily
unthinking Tory voters any more - how do we think Jill votes, for
example? (TA has always been pretty careful to hide the political
leanings of the characters - on the whole, I'd say thank goodness). And
there's a lot of Tory support among, say, "Essex man" - small
businesses, not all old folk. I would imagine Eddie might vote blue, for
example.
Tory is not the only thing! It is a world-wide virus. Some of the
countries don't even have a voting system that we'd recognise. There
are too many people and an ageing population everywhere.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-06-04 08:15:17 UTC
(what _is_ a twinset?)
It's an ensemble of women's clothing, fashionable in the 1950s, which
consisted of a lightweight jumper (generally round necked and often
short sleeved) with a matching cardigan worn over it.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
denied medical aid because of lack of means. (Aneurin Bevan)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-04 18:14:08 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 09:15:17, Serena Blanchflower
(what _is_ a twinset?)
It's an ensemble of women's clothing, fashionable in the 1950s, which
consisted of a lightweight jumper (generally round necked and often
short sleeved) with a matching cardigan worn over it.
Thanks (and Vicky). So, two layers of knitted over the trunk, with only
one over the arms.

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-06-04 08:00:34 UTC
and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
"Why didn't Voldemort declare himself Minister for Magic?" asked Ron.

Lupin laughed.

"He didn't need to, Ron. Effectively he is the Minister, but why should he sit behind a desk at the Ministry? His puppet, Thickmesse, is raking care of everyday business, leaving Voldemort free to extend his power beyond the Ministry."
BrritSki
2020-06-04 08:06:01 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by steveski
and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
"Why didn't Voldemort declare himself Minister for Magic?" asked Ron.
Lupin laughed.
"He didn't need to, Ron. Effectively he is the Minister, but why should he sit behind a desk at the Ministry? His puppet, Thickmesse, is raking care of everyday business, leaving Voldemort free to extend his power beyond the Ministry."
If you're going to agree with crap, please get your attributions
correct. I did NOT write the above.
Nick Odell
2020-06-04 19:59:15 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:36:53 +0100, BrritSki
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
I like Ms. Keane and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
40,000 (and more) off of the pensions/state benefits list? It's a Tory
wet dream . . . and I don't mean the vegetables . ..
That is an outrageous suggestion, completely deranged. Apart from
anything else, why would they want to kill of their own voters
disproportionally ?
I agree with BrritSki. I never felt the same Fascination with Dillie
Keane or Aida as I know others here have but unless she was
deliberately angling for an umra BTN(1) I think it was vile
suggestion.

Nick
(1)speaking of which, in another thread, thank you Skeveski and Sid:
the burning and looting of all those American cities was not in vain.
Penny
2020-06-04 22:59:22 UTC
On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 16:59:15 -0300, Nick Odell
the burning and looting of all those American cities was not in vain.
You're just angling for another one now, aren't you?
BTN
2020-06-05 04:50:04 UTC
On Thu, 04 Jun 2020, Nick Odell scrawled in the dust...
Post by Nick Odell
the burning and looting of all those American cities was not in vain.
You're just angling for another one now, aren't you?
BTN
Not this time. Very funny (it made me laugh out loud) but incorporated
in the original BTN, I think.
2020-06-04 19:14:37 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
I like Ms. Keane and the lyrics absolutely agree with my, admittedly
ultra-cynical, views.
40,000 (and more) off of the pensions/state benefits list? It's a Tory
wet dream . . . and I don't mean the vegetables . . .
That is an outrageous suggestion, completely deranged. Apart from
anything else, why would they want to kill of their own voters
disproportionally ?
I agree Brriters - I shouldn't have said it and I apologise to all who
were offended by it. My only excuse is that I was in a very dark place at
the time.
Fair enough. Thanks for the apology and hope things improve for you.
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-04 09:49:26 UTC
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!

Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-04 09:55:43 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-04 11:24:38 UTC
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Not tried it as a treat, but it certainly didn't work when I hid a
worming pill in some!

Feisty would eat *anything* - except Drontal wormer, but that went down
fast enough if coated in peanut butter. Plum doesn't like peanut butter.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-04 12:07:33 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 12:24:38 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Not tried it as a treat, but it certainly didn't work when I hid a
worming pill in some!
Feisty would eat *anything* - except Drontal wormer, but that went down
fast enough if coated in peanut butter. Plum doesn't like peanut butter.
Both dogs did spit the pill out after eating the food. Then they have
to have the pill 'the hard way'. Open dog's mouth, put pill in, hold
mouth shut and massage throat a bit. Eventuall they swallow. Molly
never thought of biting, and Bob wouldn't bite anyone anyway.
steve hague
2020-06-05 07:08:50 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Our cat doesn't like dreamies, but he's not keen on chicken or tuna
either, which is very strange for a cat. He likes cheese though, and
sweet caramel ice cream. No other kind of ice ceam, just sweet caramel.
2020-06-05 07:21:51 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Our cat doesn't like dreamies, but he's not keen on chicken or tuna
either, which is very strange for a cat. He likes cheese though, and
sweet caramel ice cream. No other kind of ice ceam, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Does he have a liking for raw liver?
steve hague
2020-06-05 07:31:27 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Our cat doesn't like dreamies, but he's not keen on chicken or tuna
either, which is very strange for a cat. He likes cheese though, and
sweet caramel ice cream. No other kind of ice ceam, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Does he have a liking for raw liver?
I don't know, and neither does he, and won't get a a chance to find out.
2020-06-05 07:47:31 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Our Siamese X black cats would walk around on their hind legs yowling if
they as much as heard the kitchen scissors used to cut up the raw liver
about to be placed in their bowls!
2020-06-05 09:42:27 UTC
Our Siamese X black cats would walk around on their hind legs yowling if
they as much as heard the kitchen scissors used to cut up the raw liver
about to be placed in their bowls!
At least that sounds rather less painful than the late great Grey P
clawing one's legs every time a milk bottom came out of the 'frig. *I*
know milk is not good for cats but no one would have dared telling Grey
P that.
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-06-05 10:09:50 UTC
At least that sounds rather less painful than the late great Grey P
clawing one's legs every time a milk bottom came out of the 'frig.
Bit of a bummer that!
2020-06-05 08:25:49 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Mike
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
As McT is highly allergic to offal I think we bought it because it
was/still is? recommended as part of a feline diet.

2020-06-05 08:25:48 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Our cat doesn't like dreamies, but he's not keen on chicken or tuna
either, which is very strange for a cat. He likes cheese though, and
sweet caramel ice cream. No other kind of ice ceam, just sweet caramel.
Steve
There *has* to be one!! :)

2020-06-05 08:39:49 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 08:08:50 +0100, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:49:26 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Sorry, Pardon. [1]
They're asleep at the moment, but won't mind being woken if you shake
Dreamies!
Whatever it is that makes Dreamies so ultra-appealing to cats, I wish
they'd make something similar for dogs. Plum is only too keen to accept
a "sweetie" if she isn't required to offer much in return, but is quite
happy miss out if she doesn't fancy coming when called.
Have you tried a piece of cheese? Molly was a pushover for most
edibles anyway, but cheese was a trigger to faster obedience.
Our cat doesn't like dreamies, but he's not keen on chicken or tuna
either, which is very strange for a cat. He likes cheese though, and
sweet caramel ice cream. No other kind of ice ceam, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Our rremaining cat always loved ice cream or cream. Most flavours.
Anbd hasn't wanted to sit on my lap for a year or so, just b's,
although lets me stroke her if on the arm of my chair. But the last 3
days has become my lap cat inthe evenings. And lunch time too. And
she turned down a bit of my ice last night so we are a bit concerned.
Ok it was cheap very low-cal mango flavour ice lolly. But it was
creamy, not just fruit.

There is a belief in nursing homes that the resident cat sits on the
bed of the next to die. But in this case is it me or her?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-05 09:45:53 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 09:39:49, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Our rremaining cat always loved ice cream or cream. Most flavours.
Anbd hasn't wanted to sit on my lap for a year or so, just b's,
although lets me stroke her if on the arm of my chair. But the last 3
days has become my lap cat inthe evenings. And lunch time too. And
Aw.
Post by Vicky Ayech
she turned down a bit of my ice last night so we are a bit concerned.
Ok it was cheap very low-cal mango flavour ice lolly. But it was
creamy, not just fruit.
There is a belief in nursing homes that the resident cat sits on the
bed of the next to die. But in this case is it me or her?
I hope neither. (And I wish you hadn't relayed that belief [not really
complaining about you doing so, I just mean I wish I hadn't heard it]:
it must cause some distress among those in such establishments who like
cats.)

31.69 nHz = once a year. (Julian Thomas)
Nick Odell
2020-06-05 17:38:25 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 10:45:53 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Vicky Ayech
she turned down a bit of my ice last night so we are a bit concerned.
Ok it was cheap very low-cal mango flavour ice lolly. But it was
creamy, not just fruit.
There is a belief in nursing homes that the resident cat sits on the
bed of the next to die. But in this case is it me or her?
I hope neither. (And I wish you hadn't relayed that belief [not really
it must cause some distress among those in such establishments who like
cats.)
I suspect most of the residents are far too anxiously working out
whose bed is nearest to the door to worry about where the cat is
sitting.

2020-06-05 18:14:22 UTC
On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 09:39:49 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Our rremaining cat always loved ice cream or cream. Most flavours.
Anbd hasn't wanted to sit on my lap for a year or so, just b's,
although lets me stroke her if on the arm of my chair. But the last 3
days has become my lap cat inthe evenings. And lunch time too. And
she turned down a bit of my ice last night so we are a bit concerned.
Ok it was cheap very low-cal mango flavour ice lolly. But it was
creamy, not just fruit.
Ray's cat Oz, having lived in an all male household all his life, where
most interaction was of the teasing and play-fighting type, would attack
anyone who touched him. He would sometimes sit on the arm of a chair but
had never been known to sit on a lap.

I wasn't used to cats like that and gradually persuaded him not to attack
me. He became generally more approachable and did eventually sit on my lap
from time to time but not often. Any female visitor was likely to be sat on
too for a brief period.

In his last week - the vet said it was a thyroid problem - he sat on my lap
pretty much all the time and liked being stroked too.
Post by Vicky Ayech
There is a belief in nursing homes that the resident cat sits on the
bed of the next to die.
Soon after the husgod died, my cat of the time would follow me around and
jump onto my lap every time I sat down. Whether in concern for me or
because H was missing, I couldn't say, but it was good to have him to
cuddle and stroke.
2020-06-05 09:14:05 UTC
Post by steve hague
, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Now I've got a Neil Diamond earworm.

2020-06-05 10:05:36 UTC
Post by steve hague
, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Now I've got a Neil Diamond earworm.
john
LOL. (And curses, as I now have too.)

Made me go on a quick YouTube hunt - but, of course, it's mainly the
chorus - the rest of it's not (IMO) that memorable.

I did find this currently-relevant version, though - and by the man
himself:
(and he sounds as
he always did, which considering a few decades have passed ...)

I think it's the only parody (OK, only a few words changed in this case)
I've come across during the pandemic by the original artist. (Well, Ms.
Gaynor washing her hands [and leaving the tap running!], but that isn't
a parody [and I don't think she's actually singing].)

31.69 nHz = once a year. (Julian Thomas)
John Ashby
2020-06-05 12:55:26 UTC
Post by steve hague
, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Now I've got a Neil Diamond earworm.
john
LOL. (And curses, as I now have too.)
An esprit d'escalier moment, I eventually realised that as the words
were only an approximation of the original perhaps it should be called a
nearworm.

2020-06-05 17:48:05 UTC
Post by steve hague
, just sweet caramel.
Steve
Now I've got a Neil Diamond earworm.
LOL. (And curses, as I now have too.)
An esprit d'escalier moment, I eventually realised that as the words
were only an approximation of the original perhaps it should be called a
nearworm.
Excellent word - thank you. I get them all the time; for example, every
time I empty the bathroom bin I get a nearworm from The Sweet[1]:
"The man at the back said 'Everyone attack'
And it turned into a bathroom bin..."

[1]So, farewell then, Steve Priest...

2020-06-04 08:35:46 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
Hmmm. I'm a big fan of DK and FA, but I'm not keen[1] on this.

I don't think it's fair or helpful to accuse the government (or Cummings
personally) of actively trying to kill off the old. Does anyone really,
truly believe that? They've made a shocking mess of protecting care
homes, but I put that down to incompetence and perhaps (only perhaps)
caring less about protecting the elderly than others, possibly because
they're less economically active. To translate that feeling/possibility
into an accusation of wanting to kill off the old doesn't seem right to me.

God knows, I hold no brief for Cummings or any of that lot. I think the
man is unpleasant and a malign influence, I'm strongly politically
opposed to this government and think they're floundering in their
handling of Covid-19, but I don't think this is right - and it makes it
much easier for legitimate criticism to be dismissed as fanciful and unfair.

[1]See what I did there?
2020-06-04 09:37:20 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Yes, I did see that - you didn’t Dillie or Dallie over it either!

I very much agree with your views as expressed above Sid; I don’t think any
right-thinking government would promote, encourage, assist, facilitate or
otherwise enable the passing of us elderly citizens into bucketry, but
equally well, I doubt they would go out of their way to offer additional
aid (in any form) above and beyond that which would appear fair. We still
have the vote (of whatever colour) and still pay taxes of various sorts;
perhaps we are now more of a ‘drain’ on resources due to state of health,
infirmity or whatever. Surely any country and government has a duty to all
citizens of whatever age/health to provide any assistance the country can
support and afford.
2020-06-04 09:54:09 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:35:46 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I don't think it is unfair to take the government's actions and
blatant ignoring of the warnings about not putting care homes at risk
and running down LA carers so the old people still at home have not
enough care to survive decently in many cases to the logical result
that old people died. And it was akin to Nelson putting the telescope
to his blind eye.
BrritSki
2020-06-04 12:12:03 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Thankyou Sid and Mike below.
Post by Vicky Ayech
I don't think it is unfair to take the government's actions and
blatant ignoring of the warnings
Could you please point out the warnings AT THE TIME on this subject ?
The overwhelming concern at that stage was to stop the NHS being
swamped. We are not the only country to have got the protection of care
homes badly wrong. Stop being wise after the event.
krw
2020-06-04 14:32:52 UTC
We are not the only country to have got the protection of care homes
badly wrong. Stop being wise after the event.
The pandemic simulation (Cygnus) run a couple or three years ago by the
government evidenced that the damage would be in care homes. If they
were not so pre-occupied with other minor distractions someone might
have actually acted on the report but it was never published.

That would have been wise before the event.
2020-06-04 14:46:06 UTC
We are not the only country to have got the protection of care homes
badly wrong. Stop being wise after the event.
The pandemic simulation (Cygnus) run a couple or three years ago by the
government evidenced that the damage would be in care homes. If they
were not so pre-occupied with other minor distractions someone might
have actually acted on the report but it was never published.
That would have been wise before the event.
‘Brokes it’ by any chance?
steve hague
2020-06-05 07:13:48 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
I don't think it is unfair to take the government's actions and
blatant ignoring of the warnings
Could you please point out the warnings AT THE TIME on this subject ?
The overwhelming concern at that stage was to stop the NHS being
swamped. We are not the only country to have got the protection of care
homes badly wrong. Stop being wise after the event.
My wife works in a care home, and predicted what would happen at the
time, as did others on the front line, they weren't being wise after the
event.
2020-06-05 07:26:03 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
I don't think it is unfair to take the government's actions and
blatant ignoring of the warnings
Could you please point out the warnings AT THE TIME on this subject ?
The overwhelming concern at that stage was to stop the NHS being
swamped. We are not the only country to have got the protection of
care homes badly wrong. Stop being wise after the event.
My wife works in a care home, and predicted what would happen at the
time, as did others on the front line, they weren't being wise after the
event.
Was that being relayed at the higher levels that HMG would have heard,
i.e. by SAGE ? And even if it was, where was the testing capacity going
to come from to keep infected patients in hospital and also the PPE to
protect the health care workers ? It simply wasn't available and as I
said earlier, the priority was the NHS, rightly or wrongly.
What practically could have been done at the time given the constraints
that there were ? The decision was a terrible one and would have been
the same for any Gov't.
Vicky Ayech
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/revealed-the-secret-report-that-gave-ministers-warning-of-care-home-coronavirus-crisis
BrritSki
2020-06-05 09:02:21 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 08:26:03 +0100, BrritSki
Was that being relayed at the higher levels that HMG would have heard,
i.e. by SAGE ? And even if it was, where was the testing capacity going
to come from to keep infected patients in hospital and also the PPE to
protect the health care workers ? It simply wasn't available and as I
said earlier, the priority was the NHS, rightly or wrongly.
What practically could have been done at the time given the constraints
that there were ? The decision was a terrible one and would have been
the same for any Gov't.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/revealed-the-secret-report-that-gave-ministers-warning-of-care-home-coronavirus-crisis
Well done.

Unfortunately very few if any of the measures that exercises like Cygnus
recommended were implemented, either in England or any of the devolved
administrations. If they had been there wouldn't have been the overall
problems with underfunding of social care and in particular the
shortages of PPE and testing capacity that were evident in many
countries throughout Europe and are the result of decades of neglect.

About the only thing I agreed with in the posts I objected to so
strongly last week was John Ashby's suggestion that DC was panicking. I
think the whole Gov't was and still are, as are many of the advisers,
not just DC. Many of the decisions taken will be shown to be wrong in
retrospect, but it's understandable why they were taken.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-04 18:24:39 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 09:35:46, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Joe Kerr
Somerats might be entertained by the Dillie Keane view of the virus
http://youtu.be/0na2Y_74_mk
Hmmm. I'm a big fan of DK and FA, but I'm not keen[1] on this.
Yes, better put than I did. (On the whole, I enjoy their non-political
works better - as I do with one of DK's influencers, Tom Lehrer.)
handling of Covid-19, but I don't think this is right - and it makes it
much easier for legitimate criticism to be dismissed as fanciful and unfair.
That, I think, is the best point of what you say: oversimplifying the
accusation to the point of actual untruth, means _valid_ criticism is
easier to dismiss.
Post by Sid Nuncius
[1]See what I did there?
(-: