Spoiler 25th. Dec.
2019-12-26 14:14:16 UTC

Usual

Space

Wasting

move

Spoiler

Down

The

Page.

So now Will will be able to move back into Number 1 The Green and have
family back too
2019-12-26 15:05:13 UTC
Usual
Space
Wasting
move
Spoiler
Down
The
Page.
[...]
Yes, either that or move into Grange Farm permanently and rent out
Number 1. Especially given that he appears not to have any other source
of income, at the moment.

I was disappointed that we aren't going to find out how they were going
to fit all four adults, plus Poppy, plus the other children on
occasions, into a smallish 3 bedroom house.
Q. What happened when the Ice Monster ate a curry?
A. He blew his cool
Mike
2019-12-26 15:30:31 UTC
[...]
Not forgetting the ferrets!
2019-12-26 16:37:23 UTC
[...]
Yes, I've been wondering about that since he threw in his job. Eddie and
Clarrie don't have much spare cash - they struggle to raise the rent,
and I don't just mean in a sympathy-seeking way.
I was disappointed that we aren't going to find out how they were going
to fit all four adults, plus Poppy, plus the other children on
occasions, into a smallish 3 bedroom house.
Not forgetting the ferrets!
I'm sure we can hammer out a solution to that part of the problem. [Were
you doing a 'feedlines R us' thing there, Mike?]

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
Mike
2019-12-26 18:33:54 UTC
[...]
Well, no I wasn’t but....BTN!
2019-12-28 21:45:36 UTC
Yes, I've been wondering about that since he threw in his job. Eddie and
Clarrie don't have much spare cash - they struggle to raise the rent,
and I don't just mean in a sympathy-seeking way.
Eddie and Clarrie must be drawing pensions by now and presumably be
entitled to other benefits if appropriate - although the need for the
right number of bedrooms becomes relevant at some point?
2019-12-29 10:01:35 UTC
Yes, I've been wondering about that since he threw in his job. Eddie
and Clarrie don't have much spare cash - they struggle to raise the
rent, and I don't just mean in a sympathy-seeking way.
Eddie and Clarrie must be drawing pensions by now and presumably be
entitled to other benefits if appropriate - although the need for the
right number of bedrooms becomes relevant at some point?
While Eddie will be drawing his pension, Clarrie won't get hers for
another week[1]. It seems likely though that all four of them would be
able to claim something on UC, although no doubt Will would be
sanctioned for having walked out of a perfectly good job[2].

The bedroom tax wouldn't directly affect them, as they are renting
privately. Eddie and Clarrie might well be able to claim the housing
element of UC (the current version of Housing Benefit) and this would be
based on them renting one of the cheaper 4 bedroom houses in
Borsetshire. From everything Oliver has said, I'm sure he'd be very
happy to keep his rent down to this level.

[1] According to the Which pension age calculator
(<https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/state-pension-age-calculator-asfz43c0xp8q#headline_2>),
a woman born on 12th May 1954, as Clarrie was
(<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/2XcppYw6XxCP7JpM7ZldngH/clarrie-grundy>),
will be able to claim her pension from 6th January 2020.

[2] OK, we know he had good reason and, if he'd been prepared to
acknowledge it, I'm sure the doctor would have been happy to sign him
off sick. BL would probably have been happy to get rid of him, as unfit
for work, if they had known how fragile his mental state was. If this
had been done, he (at least in theory) wouldn't have had any problems
with his benefits.

My apologies to krw for having, initially, sent this to him by email.
It seems that the latest update of TB has changed it back to wanting to
send replies by email, rather than to the group :(  I'll have a fossick
around later to see if I can find a way to change it back again.
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book (Groucho Marx)
krw
2019-12-30 13:20:58 UTC
My apologies to krw for having, initially, sent this to him by email. It
seems that the latest update of TB has changed it back to wanting to
send replies by email, rather than to the group :(  I'll have a fossick
around later to see if I can find a way to change it back again.
Not a problem. This new update has f***** up the reading sizes and so I
was having eyesight problems, then it reset one of the toolbars so that
it was not right and I was hitting the wrong buttons.

Hours wasted getting these things put right. Until the next round of
"improvements no doubt. Hutber's Law.
2019-12-31 08:57:37 UTC
My apologies to krw for having, initially, sent this to him by email.
It seems that the latest update of TB has changed it back to wanting
to send replies by email, rather than to the group :(  I'll have a
fossick around later to see if I can find a way to change it back again.
Not a problem.  This new update has f***** up the reading sizes and so I
was having eyesight problems, then it reset one of the toolbars so that
it was not right and I was hitting the wrong buttons.
Hours wasted getting these things put right.  Until the next round of
"improvements no doubt.  Hutber's Law.
The reading sizes has been irritating me as well. It's got me starting
to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
BrritSki
2019-12-31 10:07:22 UTC
My apologies to krw for having, initially, sent this to him by email.
It seems that the latest update of TB has changed it back to wanting
to send replies by email, rather than to the group :(  I'll have a
fossick around later to see if I can find a way to change it back again.
Not a problem.  This new update has f***** up the reading sizes and so
I was having eyesight problems, then it reset one of the toolbars so
that it was not right and I was hitting the wrong buttons.
Hours wasted getting these things put right.  Until the next round of
"improvements no doubt.  Hutber's Law.
The reading sizes has been irritating me as well.  It's got me starting
to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
Easily fixed using the CTL-scrollwheel to increase the size and it
remembers.
CTL-scrollwheel also works in the reply pane pop-up, but it does NOT
remember :(

More annoying to me is that the compact-header extension doesn't work in
this version :(((

Everything else looks the same, including using spacebar to go to next
message
krw
2019-12-31 10:41:36 UTC
More annoying to me is that the compact-header extension doesn't work in
this version
Are you sure? Double clicking here compacts the message header.
2019-12-31 11:41:00 UTC
More annoying to me is that the compact-header extension doesn't work
in this version
Are you sure?  Double clicking here compacts the message header.
Not the message header, the middle of the 3 panels on the right between
the list of messages and the text of the current message.

But something has happened since I sent that reply earlier - the
compact header extension has installed itself somehow and I now have the
little +/- box in the header to turn it from 1 line with just the
subject or 4/5 with lots more detail that I can already see in other panes.
Kate B
2019-12-31 10:43:18 UTC
[...]
I'm on TB 68.3.1, release channel, up to date, using W10. I'm not seeing
any of these problems. Which version do you have?
2019-12-31 11:08:02 UTC
Post by Kate B
I'm on TB 68.3.1, release channel, up to date, using W10. I'm not seeing
any of these problems. Which version do you have?
Same but with the reminder from B over using the Ctrl+scrollwheel plus
resetting the menu where Smart Reply can default to reply to sender and
not group most matters are now better!

Thank you everyone.
2019-12-31 11:46:24 UTC
Post by Kate B
I'm on TB 68.3.1, release channel, up to date, using W10. I'm not
seeing any of these problems. Which version do you have?
Same but with the reminder from B over using the Ctrl+scrollwheel plus
resetting the menu where Smart Reply can default to reply to sender and
not group most matters are now better!
Thank you everyone.
What's 'Smart reply'? I tend not to use the Menu bar but the buttons on
the email/post for responding. I just have buttons top right for both
email (Reply; Reply All; Forward; etc) and news (Reply; Follow-Up;
Forward; etc) It's true that I once used to hit 'Reply' in news by
mistake sometimes, but that hasn't happened in years now.
2019-12-31 13:02:49 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by krw
Post by Kate B
I'm on TB 68.3.1, release channel, up to date, using W10. I'm not
seeing any of these problems. Which version do you have?
Same but with the reminder from B over using the Ctrl+scrollwheel plus
resetting the menu where Smart Reply can default to reply to sender
and not group most matters are now better!
Thank you everyone.
What's 'Smart reply'? I tend not to use the Menu bar but the buttons on
the email/post for responding. I just have buttons top right for both
email (Reply; Reply All; Forward; etc) and news (Reply; Follow-Up;
Forward; etc)  It's true that I once used to hit 'Reply' in news by
mistake sometimes, but that hasn't happened in years now.
It is one of the buttons which can be installed on the toolbar at the
top of the message pane.
2019-12-31 16:56:57 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by krw
Post by Kate B
I'm on TB 68.3.1, release channel, up to date, using W10. I'm not
seeing any of these problems. Which version do you have?
Same but with the reminder from B over using the Ctrl+scrollwheel
plus resetting the menu where Smart Reply can default to reply to
sender and not group most matters are now better!
Thank you everyone.
What's 'Smart reply'? I tend not to use the Menu bar but the buttons
on the email/post for responding. I just have buttons top right for
both email (Reply; Reply All; Forward; etc) and news (Reply;
Follow-Up; Forward; etc)  It's true that I once used to hit 'Reply' in
news by mistake sometimes, but that hasn't happened in years now.
It is one of the buttons which can be installed on the toolbar at the
top of the message pane.
Why would you want an alternative to 'Reply'; 'Reply All'; or
'Follow-up'? But I don't seem to have a 'Smart reply' option so I won't
worry :)
2019-12-31 11:42:44 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
Same one, but I thought when you first installed you had the sapce bar
problem ?
How do you change the size of the text in the reply pane ? It's just 1
step too small for me ideally.
Kate B
2019-12-31 11:48:59 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
Ah yes, I do have the spacebar/F/N problems. That's still not working
and is annoying. But I don't have any problems with text size or toolbars.
2019-12-31 13:03:29 UTC
How do you change the size of the text in the reply pane ?  It's just 1
step too small for me ideally.
Tools, Options Composition I think.
2019-12-31 14:54:51 UTC
How do you change the size of the text in the reply pane ?  It's just
1 step too small for me ideally.
Tools, Options Composition I think.
Can't see an option there that changes the size of the reply text.

I did find the option somewhere that did the same as ctl-scroll, but
can't find that now either :/
krw
2019-12-31 10:40:38 UTC
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
2020-01-01 21:49:50 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
Is Turnpike still available?
It's on this wiki list
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders>
I'm still using ancient Agent and could probably send it to anyone who's
interested. It is stand-alone works well off a stick and never did
integrate itself with the windoze registry.
There is a more recent version available.
Turnpike might well work on 32 bit but it never made the transition to
64 bit and I abandoned it at that point as there was going to be
additional hassle in maintaining a 32 bit environment.
2020-01-02 01:21:54 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
Is Turnpike still available?
In theory, no: it experimented briefly (like Douglas Adams' lifts going
sideways) with costing over 200, then ceased to be available altogether
(sulking in basements). However, there is now a fiddle that makes the
free version work with any ISP.

(Though, much as I love it, I wouldn't inflict it on new users.)
Post by krw
It's on this wiki list
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders>
I'm still using ancient Agent and could probably send it to anyone who's
interested. It is stand-alone works well off a stick and never did
integrate itself with the windoze registry.
There is a more recent version available.
Turnpike might well work on 32 bit but it never made the transition to
64 bit and I abandoned it at that point as there was going to be
additional hassle in maintaining a 32 bit environment.
Correct. Apparently it does work (with some minor niggle over icon
sizes) on Windows 10 32 bit, but I think that's not very common. A lot
of the die-hards now use it in a VM (virtual machine) running something
32-bit (mostly XP or 7).

In my life I have written about six poems ... The rest of it is comedy that
happens to rhyme. - Pam Ayres, interviwed in RT 2018/3/17-23
Kate B
2020-01-02 11:17:46 UTC
<snippety>
Turnpike might well work on 32 bit but it never made the transition to
64 bit and I abandoned it at that point as there was going to be
additional hassle in maintaining a 32 bit environment.
Correct. Apparently it does work (with some minor niggle over icon
sizes) on Windows 10 32 bit, but I think that's not very common. A lot
of the die-hards now use it in a VM (virtual machine) running something
32-bit (mostly XP or 7).
I ran it on Win7 in a virtual machine, along with a couple of other
32-bit programmes. But I dropped one of those other programmes, and
found a work-round for the other*, and firing up the VM just for
Turnpike proved to be such a faff I migrated to Thunderbird, which has
been more or less fine. It does lose the odd email in an annoyingly
random fashion - they are still listed in a search but the bodies cannot
be found. But then Turnpike lost the odd email as well, and my husband's
Outlook is always losing stuff, so I suspect there's no foolproof
programme. I forward everything to a Gmail account and can often find
the missing link there.

* this other is 32-bit Quicken2000, which I use for my accounts. Later
versions of Quicken and Quickbooks overloaded the programme with stuff I
neither needed nor could manage, so I've stuck to 2000. Weirdly, I found
it worked on Win7 if you installed it directly onto the C drive, and it
works on Win10 directly installed into the users/me folder. I just
ignored all compatibility warnings and although the kerching! sound has
disappeared (no great loss) everything else works just fine.
2020-01-02 09:28:09 UTC
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
The main option I was considering was working online, through the
website. The main problem with that would be that that would only deal
with email and I'd need to find a different solution for usenet. I've
always liked the fact that TB allows me to have emails, RSS feeds and
usenet, all in one place.
Penny
2020-01-02 10:35:52 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:28:09 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
The main option I was considering was working online, through the
website. The main problem with that would be that that would only deal
with email and I'd need to find a different solution for usenet. I've
always liked the fact that TB allows me to have emails, RSS feeds and
usenet, all in one place.
Opera used to offer usenet - I've never tried it for that and have not
investigated it but it certainly still does rss and web-based email.

Opera generally is not what it was - it seems to sit upon Chrome these
days. I still have v12 on my netbook which is better but not as good as it
used to be.
2020-01-02 15:06:32 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:28:09 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
It's got me starting to wonder about the alternatives to TB.
I am not sure there are any apart from Outlook which was abandoned when
work abandoned me.
The main option I was considering was working online, through the
website. The main problem with that would be that that would only deal
with email and I'd need to find a different solution for usenet. I've
always liked the fact that TB allows me to have emails, RSS feeds and
usenet, all in one place.
Opera used to offer usenet - I've never tried it for that and have not
investigated it but it certainly still does rss and web-based email.
Opera generally is not what it was - it seems to sit upon Chrome these
days. I still have v12 on my netbook which is better but not as good as it
used to be.
Thanks. That's certainly something to consider, if I get cross enough
with TB to decide "something must be done", rather than just muttering
about it.
Morality is doing what's right regardless of what you're told. Obedience
is doing what you're told regardless of what is right (H.L. Mencken)
Chris McMillan
2019-12-26 18:41:11 UTC
[...]
Yup! Plus whatever his dog’s called.

Sincerely Chris
Jane Vernon
2019-12-29 15:01:28 UTC
Usual
Space
Wasting
move
Spoiler
Down
The
Page.
<snipped>

Mike, I know you're trying to be helpful, but I for one honestly can't
be doing with SO MUCH spoiler space. Could I ask you to tone it down a
bit? The amount I have snipped to is plenty, IMHO.
--
Jane
BTME

2019-12-29 16:57:00 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Mike
Usual
Space
Wasting
move
Spoiler
Down
The
Page.
<snipped>
Mike, I know you're trying to be helpful, but I for one honestly can't
be doing with SO MUCH spoiler space. Could I ask you to tone it down a
bit? The amount I have snipped to is plenty, IMHO.
I’m tempted not to bother at all as whatever one tries to use is too
much/little for somerat or other. We used to have people complaining there
was insufficient as their screen displayed 40 or more lines! Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
Jane Vernon
2019-12-29 17:35:34 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Mike
Usual
Space
Wasting
move
Spoiler
Down
The
Page.
<snipped>
Mike, I know you're trying to be helpful, but I for one honestly can't
be doing with SO MUCH spoiler space. Could I ask you to tone it down a
bit? The amount I have snipped to is plenty, IMHO.
I’m tempted not to bother at all as whatever one tries to use is too
much/little for somerat or other. We used to have people complaining there
was insufficient as their screen displayed 40 or more lines! Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
I dunno - seems like the amount I left *is* about 40 lines ...
--
Jane
BTME

2019-12-29 17:44:24 UTC
Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
Sounds good to me!
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks
others have thrown at him (David Brinkley)
Hbunnet
Hbunnet
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-12-29 18:37:43 UTC
Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
Sounds good to me!
+1
For those using a newsreader with a preview pane (that's most
newsreaders), who might otherwise "see" the body of such a post if it
happens to be the first one in the 'group when they open it: mark a
the first. Maybe you could use this one, or if you need to post a new
one (maybe with an "Expires: " header a good way into the future), I'm
sure no-one'll mind.

The word spoiler should be accompanied by a date (as in this one),
though, so we can know when to ignore the warning.

(Grace dies in fire.)

"Dook, that was great but I think the line needs
awe. Can you do it again, giving it just a little awe?"

"Sure, George," said Wayne and looking up at the cross said:
"Aw, truly this man is the son of God."
(recounted in Radio Times, 30 March-5 April 2013.)
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-29 18:47:17 UTC
Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
Sounds good to me!
+1
+ Another 1. (I no longer read most of the posts with all that spoiler
space. Life's too short for all the scrolling.)
Anne B
+2
Min
+3
Flop
2020-01-12 10:49:36 UTC
Could we just
agree that the term ‘Spoiler’ in the subject line is warning enough
perhaps?
Sounds good to me!
+1
+2
+3
Can we also avoid the situation where we have 100 lines of spoiler, 100
lines of assorted messages and one word of new message at the end?
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Jim Easterbrook
2020-01-12 10:57:19 UTC
Post by Flop
Can we also avoid the situation where we have 100 lines of spoiler, 100
lines of assorted messages and one word of new message at the end?
Will try.