I got a letter from Nick
Add Reply
Badriya
2012-11-24 10:58:01 UTC
It was this, and it sounds very good to a mother whose 39 year-old
daughter is having diufficulty getting on the housing ladder, even
with a job and help from me(which will clean me out) .

She and grandson were renting and the rent where he goes to school is
too high and the landlady wants to sell, and has been trying for 2
years. It is a 2-bed ex-council flat and too expensive for daughter,
who is looking at a one-bed, which is not good as she has a son.

The letter:

Dear Vicky,

I'm writing this as we come to the end of an incredibly hectic week in
politics.

The negotiations over the budget in Europe, securing of a much needed
ceasefire in Gaza, rising speculation about the upcoming Leveson
report. And Ed Davey's important announcement of a landmark coalition
deal on low carbon energy that will deliver billions of pounds of
investment in clean technology and create thousands of jobs.

But in this letter I want to focus on an issue that wasn't so high on
the radar screen, but matters enormously to me: housing. I gave a
speech to the National House Building Council (the people who issue
guarantees for new homes) on Thursday which brought the numbers into
focus for me and made me determined to step up our efforts.

As a country, we have built too few homes for far too long - and the
economic and social consequences are massive. Prices out of reach of
too many young families. Our economy vulnerable to boom and bust in
the housing market. The housing benefit bill spiralling. Homelessness
and overcrowding.

All these problems are solvable but only if we think big.

We've been talking about housing in the coalition for well over two
years. At every budget and autumn statement we've brought forward new
measures. We've reduced red tape and regulation for house builders.
We've supported mortgage lending with products to help first time
buyers. We're backing housing associations with £10bn of treasury
guarantees.

And yet it isn't enough. This year we will probably build just 110,000
homes. If that sounds like a lot to you let me put you straight: it's
one of the worst years since the Second World War. When you realise
that the population grew by about 270,000 households it's clear it's
nowhere near enough.

No wonder prices are out of reach for so many families. The average
first time buyer is now 35, and home ownership is falling for the
first time in a generation.

The only way out of this crisis is to build our way out.

This week I announced funding of £225m to kick start development at
eight sites, each with plans for over 5,000 new homes. But I want to
think bigger - much bigger. We can't go on building a home here and a
home there and hoping it's enough.

I want us to go back to some of Britain's proud heritage of urban
development and build a new generation of "garden cities" - places
that will grow, thrive and become part of the fabric of the nation.

Of course development is always controversial. It's right to protect
our precious rural landscape and not let England be concreted over.
But the point I've been making in government (and there have been some
lively debates) is that planning big new settlements is the best way
to protect our countryside because the alternative is endless urban
sprawl.

Instead of eating away at the green belt, we can build big and even
designate new green belt around new towns and cities. I think that’s
why even the Telegraph was supportive of the plans I outlined this
week.

We could easily build new garden cities totalling a million new homes
in the next ten years without building on any green belt, National
Parks or Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And by doing it we could
deliver homes people can afford in places they want to live.

We can't do this overnight. Scale and ambition take time. But I
believe if we put aside partisan politics and think collectively about
the housing needs of the next generation, we could set Britain on
track for a major wave of new development, new jobs, and new hope.

Best wishes,

Nick Clegg

Ps If you want to help our party campaign on this and other issues
you can do something to help. A donation of just £10, or whatever you
can afford, will go directly to Lib Dem campaigners across the
country.
+++++++

What do umrats think? It will be too late to help daughter, he'll be
in secondary school bythe time they build and she doesn't want to move
him from that school anyway. Is Nick just making nice noises?
Nick Odell
2012-11-24 11:13:51 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:58:01 +0000, Badriya <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
What do umrats think?
<snip>

This umrat finds it slightly creepy that you are so willing to
reproduce personal correspondence on such a regular basis - though I
accept that this letter lacks the intimacy of some of the others you
have laid before us.

This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!

Nick
Nick Leverton
2012-11-24 11:23:43 UTC
<snip>
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Yes I was concerned what I might have accidentally misdirected in some
tired-and-emotional late night session !

But at least the Nick in question didn't sign off with Lak or Lol or
Swalk or whatever it was that his partner in government apparently
believes are innocent goodbyes ...

Dr Nick
2012-11-24 12:36:49 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Yes I was concerned what I might have accidentally misdirected in some
tired-and-emotional late night session !
But at least the Nick in question didn't sign off with Lak or Lol or
Swalk or whatever it was that his partner in government apparently
believes are innocent goodbyes ...
I guessed it must have been from one of you two trouble makers.

I wonder if he knows about "welcome to facebook"?
Nick Odell
2019-10-04 10:46:23 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:36:49 +0000, Dr Nick
Post by Dr Nick
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Yes I was concerned what I might have accidentally misdirected in some
tired-and-emotional late night session !
But at least the Nick in question didn't sign off with Lak or Lol or
Swalk or whatever it was that his partner in government apparently
believes are innocent goodbyes ...
I guessed it must have been from one of you two trouble makers.
I wonder if he knows about "welcome to facebook"?
....I guess he does now.

Nick
Sorry: I was browsing through some of my old "saved" messages for
reasons not unconnected with a currently active umra thread and I
couldn't resist commenting on this one despite its age.
Penny
2019-10-04 22:53:55 UTC
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:46:23 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:36:49 +0000, Dr Nick
Post by Dr Nick
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Yes I was concerned what I might have accidentally misdirected in some
tired-and-emotional late night session !
But at least the Nick in question didn't sign off with Lak or Lol or
Swalk or whatever it was that his partner in government apparently
believes are innocent goodbyes ...
I guessed it must have been from one of you two trouble makers.
I wonder if he knows about "welcome to facebook"?
....I guess he does now.
Nick
Sorry: I was browsing through some of my old "saved" messages for
reasons not unconnected with a currently active umra thread and I
couldn't resist commenting on this one despite its age.
That was most confusing!
Largely because the only Dr Nick I'm aware of is Niles' brother and I've
never seen him here.
But when I'd figured out all the Nicks it made me laugh :D
Badriya
2012-11-24 13:37:34 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
What do umrats think?
<snip>
This umrat finds it slightly creepy that you are so willing to
reproduce personal correspondence on such a regular basis - though I
accept that this letter lacks the intimacy of some of the others you
have laid before us.
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Nick
It was a routine political communication sent out to many people, not
personal. I won't post any more letters.I'll delete it.
the Omrud
2012-11-24 14:15:41 UTC
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
What do umrats think?
<snip>
This umrat finds it slightly creepy that you are so willing to
reproduce personal correspondence on such a regular basis - though I
accept that this letter lacks the intimacy of some of the others you
have laid before us.
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
It was a routine political communication sent out to many people, not
personal. I won't post any more letters.I'll delete it.
Do you mean from Usenet? You can't. Usenet service providers have long
refused to honour Cancel messages because they were becoming widely
abused. It may disappear from your own provider's server, but it's
unlikely it will disappear from any other server, and it certainly won't
be deleted by Google Groups.

Mind, I don't see that you should worry about this letter - as you say
it's a non-personal political message.
David
LFS
2012-11-24 20:43:27 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
[...]
It's disappeared from NIN AFAICS.
Post by the Omrud
Mind, I don't see that you should worry about this letter - as you say
it's a non-personal political message.
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
the Omrud
2012-11-24 20:48:37 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by the Omrud
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
[...]
Not from the Highwinds server used by Virgin Media, which leads me to
think that Badriya uses NIN.

Yep, I traced. Honouring the Cancel request from an authenticated user
is normal, but I bet it hasn't been removed from anywhere else.
David
Ralph B
2012-11-24 23:05:54 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
Post by the Omrud
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
[...]
The original post in this thread (if that's what we're talking about)
hasn't appeared on Eternal September either.
Chris J Dixon
2012-11-25 08:46:02 UTC
Post by Ralph B
The original post in this thread (if that's what we're talking about)
hasn't appeared on Eternal September either.
What is this then?
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: I got a letter from Nick
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:58:01 +0000
It was this, and it sounds very good to a mother whose 39 year-old
daughter is having diufficulty getting on the housing ladder, even
with a job and help from me(which will clean me out) .
[snip]

'48/32 M B+ G+ A L(-) I S-- CH0(--)(p) Ar+ T+ H0 ?Q
***@cdixon.me.uk
Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Badriya
2012-11-24 23:27:09 UTC
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
What do umrats think?
<snip>
This umrat finds it slightly creepy that you are so willing to
reproduce personal correspondence on such a regular basis - though I
accept that this letter lacks the intimacy of some of the others you
have laid before us.
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
Nick
This umrat finds your post rude and upsetting.

"Personal" "regular" and "intimacy" are all untrue. The phrasing is
attack style and not the usual way umrats disagree with each other.

I had the bad luck to be the target of an earlier and equally unfair
attack, not online, and the two in one day made THIS umrat decide not
to use umra any more, as I came here to enjoy discussing TA and
current affairs and sometimes posting about problems or, as I did
today, asking questions, which other people do too. I don't want to
be dreading looking at the posts and worrying about responses to my
posting.

I don't think I have attacked anyone else or been rude to them. If
one of my posts can attract the response you gave this is no longer a
safe place to play.
Nick Odell
2012-11-24 23:34:45 UTC
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
[...]
I apologise for upsetting you, Vicky.

Nick
K Richard Whitbread
2012-11-24 23:42:14 UTC
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Badriya
[...]
Vicky

When I read Nick's post I had assumed that there was a hidden irony
smiley at the end of it and I am now wondering if I was wrong to assume
that.
SNELLSS
Nick Leverton
2012-11-26 10:44:35 UTC
Post by K Richard Whitbread
When I read Nick's post I had assumed that there was a hidden irony
smiley at the end of it and I am now wondering if I was wrong to assume
that.
I too, because I didn't see anything at all exceptional in Vicky's posting.
I'm very sorry if my piling on the end of it made things worse.

EllTee
2012-11-25 09:16:25 UTC
Post by Badriya
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:13:51 +0000, Nick Odell
[.....]
Post by Badriya
I don't think I have attacked anyone else or been rude to them. If
one of my posts can attract the response you gave this is no longer a
safe place to play.
Don't assume the noise is the view of the majority. Lots of folk post stuff that
is a personal issue; and fgs we all know the posters who are always keen to
peddle their political viewpoint at every opportunity. Nobody seems to accuse
them of being creepy or rude. I don't get the link with either of those words in
the context of you post. Whether it is appropriate for umra is bit of grey area, given
the range of posts we discuss. Where I read anything I think is outside umra
boundaries, I simply ignore it. I often notice others respond - which shows me
what a broad church umra is.

Probably it would be better to have given a title that had the name Clegg in it
to avoid getting the Nick's knickers over excited - but hardly a hanging offence.

Incidentally, I think what you received was a standard reply with computer inserted
personal bits promoting NC and his party and asking you for money. I think that was
the question you asked for a response to.
Dev
2012-11-25 11:00:25 UTC
Post by Badriya
I don't think I have attacked anyone else or been rude to them. If
one of my posts can attract the response you gave this is no longer a
safe place to play.
Don't assume the noise is the view of the majority. Lots of folk post
stuff that is a personal issue; and fgs we all know the posters who are
always keen to peddle their political viewpoint at every opportunity.
Nobody seems to accuse them of being creepy or rude. I don't get the
link with either of those words in the context of you post. Whether it is
appropriate for umra is bit of grey area, given the range of posts we
discuss. Where I read anything I think is outside umra boundaries, I
simply ignore it. I often notice others respond - which shows me what a
broad church umra is.
On the grounds that I might be one of those whom you say "peddle their
political viewpoint at every opportunity" (as I admit that I have been
active of late expressing my political opinions on some matters which have
arisen in the course of our discussions), I'd would take this opportunity
to say that I do not give umra the benefit of my political viewpoint except
political view; and my posts are almost always responded to by others
peddling their own political views, as in the thread "Universites,
apprenticeships and interns" where my most recent post elicited replies
from Dr Nick, Chris J Dixon, and EllTee - not that I'm accusing any of
those three of peddling their political viewpoint by engaging in a
political discussion.

Other umrats tend to peddle their own viewpoint quite frequently on other
matters, not that I'd accuse them of being rude in doing so. Or creepy.
Post by EllTee
Probably it would be better to have given a title that had the name Clegg
in it to avoid getting the Nick's knickers over excited - but hardly a
hanging offence.
My first thought was that one of the Nicks had written directly to Vicky -
who has often been very eager to share her received private communications
with us, so I agree it would have been better had Vicky clarified which
Nick.

Om Namah Shivaya | Om Giri-dhanvine namaha
EllTee
2012-11-25 11:18:52 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Badriya
[...]
Actually, I wasn't thinking of you as a pedlar especially :-) If the discussion
involves political viewpoints then participating in the discussion is not the
same as peddling imho. I am not sure I had names in mind - more an impression
that discussions go towards the political sometimes, because it a poster's
personal take on things in general and Vicky was being
chastised for being open and straight forward in her post. I am comfortable
with either position - I find those with stronger views than myself quite interesting.
Dev
2012-11-25 13:49:26 UTC
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! The dreaded double-line spacing strikes again!!!!!
Post by EllTee
Post by Dev
Post by EllTee
[...]
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
--
Dev

Om Namah Shivaya | Om Bhagavaye namaha
EllTee
2012-11-25 14:35:16 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Dev
EllTee
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! The dreaded double-line spacing strikes again!!!!!
[...]

`oopsie ..... GG is the only option this week and I have been deleting all the pesky line
spacing and markers till now.

And to think I pride myself on snipping - even when using MT News Watcher :-(
Oh well - that is far superior and far more respectable :-)
Sam Plusnet
2012-11-25 16:08:14 UTC
In article <52f42ea759spam-***@no.spam.invalid>, spam-
***@no.spam.invalid says...

snip
Post by Dev
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
This reminds me.

When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and trains?)?
Sam
Dev
2012-11-25 16:45:46 UTC
snip
Post by Dev
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
This reminds me.
When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and trains?)?
I don't know. When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and
trains?)?

(It'd better be a good one; I hate weak jokes..)
--
Dev

Om Namah Shivaya | Om Bhujanga-bhusha-naya namaha
Sam Plusnet
2012-11-25 17:47:58 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Sam Plusnet
snip
Post by Dev
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
This reminds me.
When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and trains?)?
I don't know. When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and
trains?)?
(It'd better be a good one; I hate weak jokes..)
We may have to wait longer than that for a punchline.
Sam
BrritSki
2012-11-25 18:14:28 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Sam Plusnet
snip
Post by Dev
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
This reminds me.
When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and trains?)?
I don't know. When were the "No Spitting" notices removed from buses (and
trains?)?
(It'd better be a good one; I hate weak jokes..)
We may have to wait longer than that for a punchline.
And then 3 will come all together.

(Bonsai posting reply would simply have been: Troilism
BrritSki
We'll have none of that, or spitting...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2012-11-26 02:12:09 UTC
Post by Dev
I am glad for I'm merely a hawker.
We'll have none of that, or spitting...
There was a young man from Darjeeling,
who boarded a bus bound for Ealing.
It said on the door
"do not spit on the floor" -
so he lay down and spat on the ceiling.

"Eastenders" is like being punched repeatedly in the face for half an hour. -
Stephen Mangan, in Radio Times 5-11 May 2012
Nick Odell
2012-11-25 13:58:03 UTC
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:00:25 +0000 (GMT), Dev
<snip>
Post by EllTee
Probably it would be better to have given a title that had the name Clegg
in it to avoid getting the Nick's knickers over excited - but hardly a
hanging offence.
My first thought was that one of the Nicks had written directly to Vicky -
who has often been very eager to share her received private communications
with us, so I agree it would have been better had Vicky clarified which
Nick.
I apologise. I over-reacted. This is not about politics, it is about
other people's privacy and while I have reacted on other occasions and
responded on some, I accept that I over-reacted this time. Probably,
indeed certainly, because my name is Nick and my first reaction was
about my own privacy.

When I saw the subject title, a cold chill ran through me. I didn't
think of the hundreds or thousands of other Nicks this could be but,
and probably because I am not always emotionally so robust, the chill
remained until I had read enough of the body to know it what it was
about. Much like the parent in the next aisle of the supermarket who
admonishes an unseen child who shares my name - or is that only me
too?

I over-reacted.

I'm sorry.

Vicky, if you want to discuss this further, my e-mail works.

Nick
Badriya
2012-11-25 18:56:50 UTC
Post by EllTee
[...]
Thank you for your apology.

Why would I want to email you? Aren't you worried I might post any
replies to umra? You said I do that kind of thing regularly.
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Dev
This umrat finds it slightly creepy that you are so willing to
reproduce personal correspondence on such a regular basis - though I
accept that this letter lacks the intimacy of some of the others you
have laid before us.
I have only reproduced emails from commercial organisations or
political ones, not personal emails. And 'on a regular basis'? And
'creepy' ? I have not done so on a regular basis. Creepy was hardly
a polite protest and regular was untrue.
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Dev
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
My name is often used on umra as it is the same as one of the
residents of Ambridge, as I've mentioned before.

I wasn't going to post again but certainly do not want to reply to you
privately just in case.

You clearly think I post irritatingly, and without following usenet
conventions of privacy. If you don't think that then you were having
a gratuitous go at me. Either way I do not feel relaxed about posting
here. It felt like being in a group with friends and realising they
(or some) really don't like me. I do hope the feeling wears off
eventually.
Steve Hague
2012-11-25 19:15:11 UTC
Post by Dev
On the grounds that I might be one of those whom you say "peddle
their political viewpoint at every opportunity" (as I admit that I
have been active of late expressing my political opinions on some
matters which have arisen in the course of our discussions), I'd
would take this opportunity to say that I do not give umra the
benefit of my political viewpoint except in response to views
expressed (peddled?) by others, often of an opposing political
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Dev
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
My name is often used on umra as it is the same as one of the
residents of Ambridge, as I've mentioned before.
I wasn't going to post again but certainly do not want to reply to you
privately just in case.
You clearly think I post irritatingly, and without following usenet
conventions of privacy. If you don't think that then you were having
a gratuitous go at me. Either way I do not feel relaxed about posting
here. It felt like being in a group with friends and realising they
(or some) really don't like me. I do hope the feeling wears off
eventually.
I like you Vicky, and you hardly ever irritate me.
Steve
K Richard Whitbread
2012-11-25 23:03:48 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I like you Vicky, and you hardly ever irritate me.
Steve
And I certainly don't think the Vicky who posts here irritates me; the
one I sometimes hear on TA does however but only because of her
excessive enthusiasm!
SNELLSS
Dumrat
2012-11-26 06:23:36 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Badriya
You clearly think I post irritatingly, and without following usenet
conventions of privacy. If you don't think that then you were having
a gratuitous go at me. Either way I do not feel relaxed about posting
here. It felt like being in a group with friends and realising they
(or some) really don't like me. I do hope the feeling wears off
eventually.
I like you Vicky, and you hardly ever irritate me.
I like you too, Vicky and you only irritate me when, like lots of others
here, you don't make judicious use of the snipper rifle :)
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Jo Lonergan
2012-11-26 07:08:27 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I like you Vicky, and you hardly ever irritate me.
Steve
At first I thought, "Well that's faint praise!" But then I realised that there
are in fact very few people one can say that about :)
Jo
EllTee
2012-11-25 20:03:46 UTC
Post by Badriya
here. It felt like being in a group with friends and realising they
(or some) really don't like me. I do hope the feeling wears off
eventually.
Aw - go gurl go :-) I say publish and be damned. X

Though actually nothing to be damned for imho.
LFS
2012-11-26 13:22:50 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Dev
This umrat finds it doubly creepy that the subject heading was "I got
a letter from Nick." I went into full OMG! mode at that - wondering
what I had written before I pressed the wrong send button!
My name is often used on umra as it is the same as one of the
residents of Ambridge, as I've mentioned before.
I wasn't going to post again but certainly do not want to reply to you
privately just in case.
You clearly think I post irritatingly, and without following usenet
conventions of privacy. If you don't think that then you were having
a gratuitous go at me. Either way I do not feel relaxed about posting
here. It felt like being in a group with friends and realising they
(or some) really don't like me. I do hope the feeling wears off
eventually.
I like you, Vicky, as far as I know you here, possibly because we have
some stuff in common. And I don't think you post irritatingly (compared
to aue there are very, very few irritations in umra). And I don't
remember you posting personal correspondence while I've been reading umra.
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
Sebastian Lisken
2012-11-27 20:42:59 UTC
Post by LFS
I like you, Vicky, as far as I know you here, possibly because we have
some stuff in common. And I don't think you post irritatingly (compared
to aue there are very, very few irritations in umra). And I don't
remember you posting personal correspondence while I've been reading umra.
I had already emailed Vicky to say I'd be sad if she left. I hope
you'll change your mind on that, Vicky. Like Laura, I don't remember
Vicky posting personal correspondence. There certainly is a convention
on Usenet to not post any personal emails without getting approval
from the sender first. If Vicky has neglected that before, I see no
reason to fall out over this. If there's a need to discuss that custom,
let's try to do so in way that doesn't make anyone feel unwelcome -
if we still can. Please.

Sebastian
Badriya
2012-11-27 22:04:32 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:00:25 +0000 (GMT), Dev
I like you, Vicky, as far as I know you here, possibly because we have
some stuff in common. And I don't think you post irritatingly (compared
to aue there are very, very few irritations in umra). And I don't
remember you posting personal correspondence while I've been reading umra.
Just to say thank you for the kind comments here and the kind emails
too. And for the apology :)
Marjorie
2012-11-29 16:02:22 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:00:25 +0000 (GMT), Dev
I like you, Vicky, as far as I know you here, possibly because we have
some stuff in common. And I don't think you post irritatingly (compared
to aue there are very, very few irritations in umra). And I don't
remember you posting personal correspondence while I've been reading umra.
Just to say thank you for the kind comments here and the kind emails
too. And for the apology :)
Don't go, Vicky, I'd miss you! Remember, we seem to share a daughter and
a grandchild, so I need you to stay in touch.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2012-11-25 15:55:25 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Badriya
[...]
Ditto (I might be ...) ...
Post by Dev
arisen in the course of our discussions), I'd would take this opportunity
to say that I do not give umra the benefit of my political viewpoint except
political view; and my posts are almost always responded to by others
... and ditto (I don't, I think, "peddle" my views except in response to
peddling by others, though what constitutes peddling is arguable of
course).
Post by Dev
peddling their own political views, as in the thread "Universites,
apprenticeships and interns" where my most recent post elicited replies
from Dr Nick, Chris J Dixon, and EllTee - not that I'm accusing any of
those three of peddling their political viewpoint by engaging in a
political discussion.

Happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat. [Anna Scott (Julia
Roberts) in "Notting Hill" (1999)]
Dev
2012-11-25 16:47:33 UTC
Post by Dev
Post by Dev
arisen in the course of our discussions), I'd would take this
opportunity to say that I do not give umra the benefit of my political
viewpoint except in response to views expressed (peddled?) by others,
often of an opposing political view; and my posts are almost always
responded to by others
... and ditto (I don't, I think, "peddle" my views except in response to
peddling by others, though what constitutes peddling is arguable of
course).
Is it the opposite of "freewheeling and dealing"? ;-)

Om Namah Shivaya | Om Jagad-gurave namaha
K Richard Whitbread
2012-11-24 13:14:12 UTC
Post by Badriya
Is Nick just making nice noises?
Noises and I am not sure they are even nice.
SNELLSS
Mark Williams
2012-11-24 13:54:55 UTC
"When you realise that the population grew by about 270,000 households it's
clear it's nowhere near enough."

"This week I announced funding of £225m to kick start development at eight
sites, each with plans for over 5,000 new homes."

"Ps If you want to help our party campaign on this and other issues you can
do something to help. A donation of just £10, or whatever you can afford,
will go directly to Lib Dem campaigners across the country."

Why not just cut out the middle man and pay the £10 directly into a
housebuilding fund?