ASK EU
Peter Percival
2019-08-10 16:37:47 UTC
One verse of /Make it one for my baby (and one more for the road/ goes

I've got the routine
put another nickel in the machine
I'm feeling so bad
can't you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot
but you've gotta be true to your code
just make it one for my baby, and one more
for the road

What code is that?
Vicky Ayech
A gentleman doesn't tattle about his love life.
Peter Percival
2019-08-10 21:52:52 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
One verse of /Make it one for my baby (and one more for the road/ goes
I've got the routine
put another nickel in the machine
I'm feeling so bad
can't you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot
but you've gotta be true to your code
just make it one for my baby, and one more
for the road
What code is that?
A gentleman doesn't tattle about his love life.
Thank you. I was wondering whether the 'your' referred to the singer or
the bar man.
Peter Percival
2019-08-12 18:32:16 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
One verse of /Make it one for my baby (and one more for the road/ goes
  I've got the routine
  put another nickel in the machine
  I'm feeling so bad
  can't you make the music easy and sad
  I could tell you a lot
  but you've gotta be true to your code
  just make it one for my baby, and one more
  for the road
What code is that?
A gentleman doesn't tattle about his love life.
Thank you.  I was wondering whether the 'your' referred to the singer or
the bar man.
I like (later on) "I hope you won't mind my bending your ear". Many
would have written "I hope you won't mind me bending your ear".
Fred
2019-08-15 12:15:09 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
One verse of /Make it one for my baby (and one more for the road/ goes
I've got the routine
put another nickel in the machine
I'm feeling so bad
can't you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot
but you've gotta be true to your code
just make it one for my baby, and one more
for the road
What code is that?
A gentleman doesn't tattle about his love life.
Sinatra sings, "... true to a gentleman's code" with appropriate bending of the tempo.
Fred, struggling with the chord changes.
Sid Nuncius
2019-08-15 17:40:58 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
One verse of /Make it one for my baby (and one more for the road/ goes
I've got the routine
put another nickel in the machine
I'm feeling so bad
can't you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot
but you've gotta be true to your code
just make it one for my baby, and one more
for the road
What code is that?
A gentleman doesn't tattle about his love life.
Sinatra sings, "... true to a gentleman's code" with appropriate bending of the tempo.
I know that's an Arlen/Mercer song, but I've always liked the telegram
Cole Porter sent to Sinatra: "Why do you sing my songs if you don't like
the way they were written?"

Well, quite. I always (or almost always) feel that there's far too much
Sinatra and not nearly enough of the original song when I listen to him.
I suspect I may be almost alone in the world, never mind AOU on this one.
Peter Percival
I don't like Sinatra at all, but I like many of the songs he sings.
Mike
2019-08-15 18:17:36 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
I don't like Sinatra at all, but I like many of the songs he sings.
Agreed. I very often prefer other people's recordings of songs sung by
Sinatra.

As an example (and a shameless plug for my friend Wendy Lanchin), Angel
Eyes. An excerpt from Wendy's recording is here:
https://soundcloud.com/wendylanchin
(Scroll to the bottom of the page and play Angel Eyes - excerpt.) I
genuinely prefer this to Sinatra's version,

because I think you get a good song well sung rather than an
unsympathetic arrangement and lot of vocal showing off with the song as
a peg to hang it on.

(Wendy is shocked that I should think this - she loves Sinatra and
thinks I'm badly misguided, as does most of the rest of the world.)
Peter Percival
2019-08-15 19:04:47 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
I don't like Sinatra at all, but I like many of the songs he sings.
Agreed.  I very often prefer other people's recordings of songs sung by
Sinatra.
As an example (and a shameless plug for my friend Wendy Lanchin), Angel
Eyes.
A favourite of Ella Fitzgerald! (She being the best jazz singer of her
time.)
http://youtu.be/o0HoodY9pXg
Anne B
2019-08-16 13:07:42 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Peter Percival
[...]
The first part of that is music to my ears. I was beginning to think
that I was in a minority of one when it comes to detesting Sinatra.

Anne B