we found one today!
2019-07-08 13:32:35 UTC
We were beginning to think that the ‘veg box’ @ £1.50 in Lidl was on the
same shelf as the hen’s teeth but..... today we saw and purchased one! 2.5
kilos of King Teddy potatoes would probably have cost the £1.50 but... we
also had 4 packs seedless red grapes, 6 packs of ‘doughnut’ nectarines and
peaches (chin dribblingly juicy and sweet firm flesh that meant I had to
have a second one for QC purposes ;-) ), 2 packs of carrots.....
Certainly recommend looking amongst the hen’s teeth.
2019-07-08 13:34:19 UTC
same shelf as the hen’s teeth but..... today we saw and purchased one! 2.5
kilos of King Teddy potatoes would probably have cost the £1.50 but... we
also had 4 packs seedless red grapes, 6 packs of ‘doughnut’ nectarines and
peaches (chin dribblingly juicy and sweet firm flesh that meant I had to
have a second one for QC purposes ;-) ), 2 packs of carrots.....
Certainly recommend looking amongst the hen’s teeth.
... and will ‘QC’ the tub of strawberries later...
2019-07-08 13:37:30 UTC
same shelf as the hen’s teeth but..... today we saw and purchased one! 2.5
kilos of King Teddy potatoes would probably have cost the £1.50 but... we
also had 4 packs seedless red grapes, 6 packs of ‘doughnut’ nectarines and
peaches (chin dribblingly juicy and sweet firm flesh that meant I had to
have a second one for QC purposes ;-) ), 2 packs of carrots.....
Certainly recommend looking amongst the hen’s teeth.
... and will ‘QC’ the tub of strawberries later...
And Vicenta (our Spanish widowed neighbour and Wunderkind’s brood will be
‘helping’ us out of course!
2019-07-08 13:48:41 UTC
same shelf as the hen’s teeth but..... today we saw and purchased one! 2.5
kilos of King Teddy potatoes would probably have cost the £1.50 but... we
also had 4 packs seedless red grapes, 6 packs of ‘doughnut’ nectarines and
peaches (chin dribblingly juicy and sweet firm flesh that meant I had to
have a second one for QC purposes ;-) ), 2 packs of carrots.....
Certainly recommend looking amongst the hen’s teeth.
That's very good value! And to find nectarines and peaches that are
actually juicy is a true blessing...
2019-07-08 14:03:26 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
same shelf as the hen’s teeth but..... today we saw and purchased one! 2.5
kilos of King Teddy potatoes would probably have cost the £1.50 but... we
also had 4 packs seedless red grapes, 6 packs of ‘doughnut’ nectarines and
peaches (chin dribblingly juicy and sweet firm flesh that meant I had to
have a second one for QC purposes ;-) ), 2 packs of carrots.....
Certainly recommend looking amongst the hen’s teeth.
That's very good value! And to find nectarines and peaches that are
actually juicy is a true blessing...
Contents will vary (and I look forward to root veg selection in the winter
for slow cooked stews and for soups etc). I promise In have no financial
interst in their company but...

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Too-Good-To-Waste-15447.htm

Will tell you more.
2019-07-08 14:29:37 UTC
In message <O2IUE.1324063$***@fx15.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
Contents will vary (and I look forward to root veg selection in the winter
for slow cooked stews and for soups etc). I promise In have no financial
interst in their company but...
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Too-Good-To-Waste-15447.htm
Will tell you more.
Thanks for that link - saves me looking, as I see it says they're
removed at noon and given to good causes. In some ways a good thing -
I'd feel a little guilty taking one as there might be someone who needs
it more than I who I'd be depriving.

He who prides himself on giving what he thinks the public wants is often
creating a fictitious demand for low standards which he will then satisfy.
- Lord Reith
Marmaduke Jinks
2019-07-08 16:11:45 UTC
--
He who prides himself on giving what he thinks the public wants is often
creating a fictitious demand for low standards which he will then satisfy.
- Lord Reith
A knowledgeable farmer told me, at the weekend, that Aldi buy the undersized
produce that fails to meet the standards set by the big supermarkets. E.g.
Apples. Tesco have a standard sized apple and won't buy any smaller but Aldi
will.

MJ
Mike
2019-07-08 17:07:59 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
So nice to hear that good old common sense will ‘out’ sometimes!
2019-07-08 20:12:43 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
A knowledgeable farmer told me, at the weekend, that Aldi buy the undersized
produce that fails to meet the standards set by the big supermarkets. E.g.
Apples. Tesco have a standard sized apple and won't buy any smaller but Aldi
will.
MJ
So nice to hear that good old common sense will ‘out’ sometimes!
Well, there must be more to it than just size: the strawberries they had
a couple of weeks ago were HUGE! (And very nice too. English. No way
would I call them second-class, in any way.) This week's ones are nice
too, and though there are some smaller ones, do include some quite large
ones.

/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
X AGAINST HTML EMAIL