UMRA birthday info for 4 July 2020
Birthday Monitor
2020-07-04 06:16:48 UTC
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Tony Bryer
2020-07-05 02:21:06 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Thanks, going well here despite the current situation - dramatic rise
in Victoria's numbers this week followed by drastic action yesterday -
some public housing high rises in total lockdown: surrounded by police
with police on each corridor to stop anyone leaving or entering. And
just when we thought it was all but over. Hopefully yesterday's UK
relaxations won't rebound as a new spike.
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Vicky Ayech
Happy Birthday, Tony, belatedly,and glad all is well.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-07-05 09:00:48 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Thanks, going well here despite the current situation - dramatic rise
in Victoria's numbers this week followed by drastic action yesterday -
some public housing high rises in total lockdown: surrounded by police
with police on each corridor to stop anyone leaving or entering. And
just when we thought it was all but over. Hopefully yesterday's UK
relaxations won't rebound as a new spike.
Belated birthday wishes and I'm glad things are going well for you,
despite the Covid restrictions.
--
best wishes, Serena
And so, while others miserably pledge themselves to the insatiable
shade, singing (Fray Luis de Leon)
Sam Plusnet
2020-07-05 20:44:33 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Thanks, going well here despite the current situation - dramatic rise
in Victoria's numbers this week followed by drastic action yesterday -
some public housing high rises in total lockdown: surrounded by police
with police on each corridor to stop anyone leaving or entering. And
just when we thought it was all but over. Hopefully yesterday's UK
relaxations won't rebound as a new spike.
Any relaxation is pretty much certain to increase the C-19 take-up rate,
we just hope it won't be a big spike.
Even without official relaxation of the rules, a lot of people seem to
have reached a limit to their toleration of the Do's and Don'ts.
2020-07-05 21:19:11 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Thanks, going well here despite the current situation - dramatic rise
in Victoria's numbers this week followed by drastic action yesterday -
some public housing high rises in total lockdown: surrounded by police
with police on each corridor to stop anyone leaving or entering. And
just when we thought it was all but over. Hopefully yesterday's UK
relaxations won't rebound as a new spike.
Any relaxation is pretty much certain to increase the C-19 take-up
rate, we just hope it won't be a big spike.
Yes, the figures were IMO at least levelling off. Harder to tell when
they're smaller than the peak as variations are more significant, but my
gut feeling is that at least some of them aren't really _falling_ now.
Post by Sam Plusnet
Even without official relaxation of the rules, a lot of people seem to
have reached a limit to their toleration of the Do's and Don'ts.
I think that's a large part of why the rules _have_ been relaxed. TPTB
foresaw rising infractions, unpopular fines, reluctant police, and so
on.

I do worry that Leicester - and other similar that may follow - have an
air of "divide and conquer"; people are happy when someone other than
them gets it in the neck. It's actually justified - but we have to keep
a very close eye on it. ("They came for ...")

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.
Penny
2020-07-05 22:40:46 UTC
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:19:11 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Even without official relaxation of the rules, a lot of people seem to
have reached a limit to their toleration of the Do's and Don'ts.
Some folk never had any such toleration, but there is always a faction who
don't believe the rules apply to them.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I think that's a large part of why the rules _have_ been relaxed. TPTB
foresaw rising infractions, unpopular fines, reluctant police, and so
on.
I thought it was largely to do with money, one way or another.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I do worry that Leicester - and other similar that may follow - have an
air of "divide and conquer"; people are happy when someone other than
them gets it in the neck. It's actually justified - but we have to keep
a very close eye on it. ("They came for ...")
I heard 'officials' from Leicester on the day of the announcement of a new
lockdown, suggesting the perceived spike was just down to their success in
getting more tests processed than elsewhere. Sheffield (and somewhere else
- umbrella) have had similar 'problems' with their own efficiency.

It makes one wonder if failure on the testing front elsewhere has been
deliberate - adopting the Trump attitude :(
2020-07-06 00:34:52 UTC
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:19:11 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Even without official relaxation of the rules, a lot of people seem to
have reached a limit to their toleration of the Do's and Don'ts.
Some folk never had any such toleration, but there is always a faction who
don't believe the rules apply to them.
Agreed. I'm not excusing anyone for boorish behaviour. Just saying that
their numbers - or proportion - were/are increasing. Depressing, but
true.
I think that's a large part of why the rules _have_ been relaxed. TPTB
foresaw rising infractions, unpopular fines, reluctant police, and so
on.
I thought it was largely to do with money, one way or another.
That too. My "a large part" wasn't intended to be read as "the main
part". Just I thought it was probably significant.
I do worry that Leicester - and other similar that may follow - have an
air of "divide and conquer"; people are happy when someone other than
them gets it in the neck. It's actually justified - but we have to keep
a very close eye on it. ("They came for ...")
I heard 'officials' from Leicester on the day of the announcement of a new
lockdown, suggesting the perceived spike was just down to their success in
I could easily believe that, with politicians' (and the media's) almost
complete lack of understanding of ratios.
Post by Penny
getting more tests processed than elsewhere. Sheffield (and somewhere else
- umbrella) have had similar 'problems' with their own efficiency.
It makes one wonder if failure on the testing front elsewhere has been
deliberate - adopting the Trump attitude :(

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
Chris McMillan
2020-07-06 12:27:31 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 July: Tony Bryer.
Thanks, going well here despite the current situation - dramatic rise
in Victoria's numbers this week followed by drastic action yesterday -
some public housing high rises in total lockdown: surrounded by police
with police on each corridor to stop anyone leaving or entering. And
just when we thought it was all but over. Hopefully yesterday's UK
relaxations won't rebound as a new spike.
Heard that on R4 this morning, Tony. Stay close to yer rayjo: yer no it
makes sense.