This week's spoiler from the DF.
2021-06-05 20:18:57 UTC
Once upon a time, the Archers used to talk so loud and walk so proud;
now, the way things are going, they’ll soon be queuing up at the Elms
for a free meal of Pat’s vegetarian slop. Alice continues to wreak
destruction, causing her family to collapse under the strain and the
shame. Jennifer finally cracks up when one Ambridger is unsympathetic
and then, Brian has to eat a great big portion of humble pie as he
searches for a solution to her problems. Proud Alice refuses to face
up to things, and Peggy adds to the turmoil when she makes a startling
confession. Meanwhile, Chris is faced with a dilemma: is life more
difficult with his wanton wife than without her?
krw
2021-06-06 12:22:47 UTC
Once upon a time, the Archers used to talk so loud and walk so proud;
now, the way things are going,
Which of course is total nonsense - it should be the Aldridges and
proves that whoever writes the tripe is not listening to the tripe.
2021-06-06 12:41:16 UTC
Once upon a time, the Archers used to talk so loud and walk so proud;
now, the way things are going,
Which of course is total nonsense - it should be the Aldridges and
proves that whoever writes the tripe is not listening to the tripe.
I almost don't notice things like that. I vaguely did but newspaper
articles on TA tend to be fueled by ignorance.

I feel sorry for the Aldridges. Not because of the embarassment/shame,
but it is a serious thing. Mind you, Peggy and Jenny and Lilian have
dealt with it before. jack wasn't really identified as having an
illness and in need of help though, was he? Just assumed he was Bad
and didn't function well.
krw
2021-06-06 13:02:47 UTC
Once upon a time, the Archers used to talk so loud and walk so proud;
now, the way things are going,
Which of course is total nonsense - it should be the Aldridges and
proves that whoever writes the tripe is not listening to the tripe.
I almost don't notice things like that. I vaguely did but newspaper
articles on TA tend to be fueled by ignorance.
I feel sorry for the Aldridges. Not because of the embarassment/shame,
but it is a serious thing. Mind you, Peggy and Jenny and Lilian have
dealt with it before. jack wasn't really identified as having an
illness and in need of help though, was he? Just assumed he was Bad
and didn't function well.
Clearly TPTB decided that the almighty Aldridges needed taking down a
few pegs and we all know that Alice was going to have a falling down
episode at some point - the signposts have been there for about 10-15
years. She is obviously Jack's grand daughter.

However they waited 10 years to give Ian a baby and we have heard harldy
anything of Alexander or the Pipsqueak - surely they would be playing
together regularly? Allowing Pip to interact with someone! And then
months of slavery and meanwhile the Bull is fading away, Kathy remains
in hiding and Lower Loxley amazingly has not gone bankrupt from losing
its licence and all those wedding bookings with Brookfield slowly
disappearing into non-existence. Very poor.
2021-06-06 15:27:42 UTC
(Is DF, Daily Fail?)
but it is a serious thing. Mind you, Peggy and Jenny and Lilian have
dealt with it before. jack wasn't really identified as having an
illness and in need of help though, was he? Just assumed he was Bad
and didn't function well.
Serious point: attitudes to alcoholism have changed over the decades -
_probably_ for the better, though there's still a long way to go. I
_think_ the last year or two have concentrated people's mind, too, and I
_hope_ we will emerge with a better attitude to alcohol in general: we
will mainly see a return to how we were before, but I'm _hoping_ there
will be a _slight_ improvement.

For example, I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the
"ridiculous" table-only rule for alcohol. Which made me think: what _is_
the attraction of drinking standing up? I certainly feel more at ease
eating in a pub if there are _not_ people _standing_ drinking. But with
my other (live and let live) hat on, I'm not _sure_ I want to keep that
ban - just because it's something that doesn't appeal to me (to the
extent I can't even _see_ the attraction of), I don't want to ban it if
there are people who like to do it. (Sorry, "publicans like it" _won't_
persuade me.)
Post by krw
Clearly TPTB decided that the almighty Aldridges needed taking down a
Briangate was that, though, surely? Him having to pay out an _awful_
lot, and them having to move to somewhere (relatively!) poky, and Jenny
having to lose her kitchen.
Post by krw
few pegs and we all know that Alice was going to have a falling down
episode at some point - the signposts have been there for about 10-15
years. She is obviously Jack's grand daughter.
Yes; I was quite surprised when it initially happened (her getting drunk
at parties), as I'd always thought her very bright. But I'm not denying
it can happen, including to bright people, and I suppose I must admit -
if that was the way it was going to go - that they've done it _very_
well, as you say over many years. (Can't comment on the Jack's gdd
aspect - he was before my listening time.)
Post by krw
However they waited 10 years to give Ian a baby and we have heard
harldy anything of Alexander or the Pipsqueak - surely they would be
playing together regularly? Allowing Pip to interact with someone!
And then months of slavery and meanwhile the Bull is fading away, Kathy
remains in hiding and Lower Loxley amazingly has not gone bankrupt from
losing its licence and all those wedding bookings with Brookfield
slowly disappearing into non-existence. Very poor.
Agreed. Some of those strings/threads do need attention.

As for cooking, what a bore that is. It's such a faff, thinking of what to
have, buying it and cooking it and clearing up, then all you do is eat it -
and have to start all over again next day. Hunter Davies, RT 2017/2/4-10
krw
2021-06-07 09:16:42 UTC
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
2021-06-07 09:20:35 UTC
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
It is not meant to be sensible. Tyranical regimes do that. Just do
what you are told.Boris apparently said at the start some things might
not make sense but do them anyway.
krw
2021-06-07 09:33:11 UTC
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
It is not meant to be sensible. Tyranical regimes do that. Just do
what you are told.Boris apparently said at the start some things might
not make sense but do them anyway.
Boris is not responsible for Scotland because the twat used the wrong
legislation. If he had used the right legislation we would all be doing
the same wrong things. Using the wrong law has meant that we all do
different things which no-one grasps and has meant that the wee krankie
has kept appearing on the tellybox.
2021-06-07 10:31:33 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 10:33:11 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
It is not meant to be sensible. Tyranical regimes do that. Just do
what you are told.Boris apparently said at the start some things might
not make sense but do them anyway.
Yet failed to follow his own advice, right from the start, and ended up in
hospital.
Post by krw
Boris is not responsible for Scotland because the twat used the wrong
legislation. If he had used the right legislation we would all be doing
the same wrong things. Using the wrong law has meant that we all do
different things which no-one grasps and has meant that the wee krankie
has kept appearing on the tellybox.
Speaking as a Wales resident, I'm rather pleased we are not all following
the same rules, though my heart falls when the border with England is open,
there seem to be a lot more people in England who don't think any rules
apply to them :(
John Armstrong
2021-06-08 08:25:42 UTC
Speaking as a Wales resident, I'm rather pleased we are not all following
the same rules, though my heart falls when the border with England is open,
there seem to be a lot more people in England who don't think any rules
apply to them :(
Indeed yes. I'm so glad that health is a devolved matter, but, like
you, very sorry that border controls are not.
Penny
2021-06-08 11:01:49 UTC
On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 09:25:42 +0100, John Armstrong <***@blueyonder.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by John Armstrong
Post by Penny
Speaking as a Wales resident, I'm rather pleased we are not all following
the same rules, though my heart falls when the border with England is open,
there seem to be a lot more people in England who don't think any rules
apply to them :(
Indeed yes. I'm so glad that health is a devolved matter, but, like
you, very sorry that border controls are not.
The Welsh Police didn't do a bad job of keeping people where they should
be. Some of those who slipped over the border on 'important business' -
like buying a dog or a vehicle - were caught, fined, and packed off back
home. Things did get a bit out of hand around Snowdon and Pen Y Fan from
the 'doesn't apply to me' brigade but I never travel on Bank Holidays at
the best of times.
2021-06-07 10:39:56 UTC
[...]
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh? But the idea
is the same all over GB.
Penny
2021-06-07 15:02:44 UTC
On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:39:56 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh?
Not Wales!
I stopped following the news and daily briefings some months ago (for the
sake of my health) but when I was, I regularly shouted at the Prime Liar on
TV when he spoke about the UK but meant England.

I'm not surprised residents of England are confused but suppose we can't
blame all their idiocy on the Prime Liar. I gather holiday-makers in
Cornwall (not yet devolved) also think they can go there to get away from
the pandemic rules.
2021-06-07 15:37:13 UTC
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh?
Not Wales!
I stopped following the news and daily briefings some months ago (for the
sake of my health) but when I was, I regularly shouted at the Prime Liar on
TV when he spoke about the UK but meant England.
I'm not surprised residents of England are confused but suppose we can't
blame all their idiocy on the Prime Liar. I gather holiday-makers in
Cornwall (not yet devolved) also think they can go there to get away from
the pandemic rules.
What do you mean ? We have just had a very enjoyable week in Cornwall
without breaking any rules.
Penny
2021-06-07 21:42:59 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:37:13 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh?
Not Wales!
I stopped following the news and daily briefings some months ago (for the
sake of my health) but when I was, I regularly shouted at the Prime Liar on
TV when he spoke about the UK but meant England.
I'm not surprised residents of England are confused but suppose we can't
blame all their idiocy on the Prime Liar. I gather holiday-makers in
Cornwall (not yet devolved) also think they can go there to get away from
the pandemic rules.
What do you mean ? We have just had a very enjoyable week in Cornwall
without breaking any rules.
I have no doubt some manage it.
umra's Mevagissey corespondent reported recently that holiday-makers have
been heard to say "We came here to get away from all that" and their
behaviour illustrated this.
2021-06-07 17:52:54 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 11:39:56, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh? But the idea
is the same all over GB.
He certainly looks like someone who orders a full English, frequently!

If you bate your breath do you catch a lung fish? (Glynn Greenwood 1996-8-23.)
Mike McMillan
2021-06-08 07:13:58 UTC
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh? But the idea
is the same all over GB.
He certainly looks like someone who orders a full English, frequently!
We have a very rotund heavy ornamental bear in our greenhouse - named
Boris.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Vicky Ayech
2021-06-08 08:30:06 UTC
On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:13:58 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Oh yes I know Boris only orders the English. And Welsh? But the idea
is the same all over GB.
He certainly looks like someone who orders a full English, frequently!
We have a very rotund heavy ornamental bear in our greenhouse - named
Boris.
Irealised our garden inhabitants have not been named. We've had them
for years.l B tells me graindaughter said the old German one we
inherited from two friends in Bolton is called Peter. The cheaper
colourful one daughter rejected when I got it for her is Fred
Fernakapan and, like Pratchett's dwarves, garden gnomes might all look
male (they don't) but some who do are female, so the all black and
shiny one is Mabel.

There is a hedgehog, Oh B says Mrs Wiggie-tinkle, a small fish from
the water feature that has just been taken to bits (also inherited
from Bolton) because it had nasty things in it and a couple of Buddhas
and a mushroom. So we need to name those 4.
John Armstrong
2021-06-07 13:54:33 UTC
Boris is not responsible for Scotland because the twat used the wrong
legislation. If he had used the right legislation we would all be doing
the same wrong things. Using the wrong law has meant that we all do
different things which no-one grasps and has meant that the wee krankie
has kept appearing on the tellybox.
Nothing to do with the wrong legislation. Health has always been a
devolved matter.

And Nicola Sturgeon has a perfect right to give COVID briefings.
krw
2021-06-07 15:29:47 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
Post by krw
Boris is not responsible for Scotland because the twat used the wrong
legislation. If he had used the right legislation we would all be doing
the same wrong things. Using the wrong law has meant that we all do
different things which no-one grasps and has meant that the wee krankie
has kept appearing on the tellybox.
Nothing to do with the wrong legislation. Health has always been a
devolved matter.
And Nicola Sturgeon has a perfect right to give COVID briefings.
The correct powers to use were National Emergency, not Health. The
government made a fundamental mistake as the law used was not enacted
for the nature of the emergency to which it was applied. In theory
everything since has been illegal.
<languid wave>
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-07 21:36:01 UTC
Boris is not responsible for Scotland because the twat used the wrong
legislation.  If he had used the right legislation we would all be doing
the same wrong things.  Using the wrong law has meant that we all do
different things which no-one grasps and has meant that the wee krankie
has kept appearing on the tellybox.
Nothing to do with the wrong legislation.  Health has always been a
devolved matter.
And Nicola Sturgeon has a perfect right to give COVID briefings.
The correct powers to use were National Emergency, not Health.  The
government made a fundamental mistake as the law used was not enacted
for the nature of the emergency to which it was applied.  In theory
everything since has been illegal.
Ah! You mean that Westminster should have evaded the lawful management
of health matters by the devolved governments, and treated it as
something other than a health issue - in order to seize control.
I'm not quite sure why you think that would be a good thing.

I live in Wales, and am glad that things here are managed with far less
drama and more logic.
2021-06-08 08:35:25 UTC
[...]
Because this is much wider than a health issue, it is indeed a national
emergency and should have been treated as such from the beginning.
Standard measures - with input from all countries within the UK - to
combat the situation across the whole UK would have helped clarify them
for everyone.
John Ashby
2021-06-08 13:08:12 UTC
[...]
I can't help feeling that if they had invoked Emergency Powers there
would have been a number of people (and you might even have been among
them) complaining about a draconian reaction to a simple health problem.
There are enough conspiracies about state control going around as it it.

2021-06-08 13:46:44 UTC
Because this is much wider than a health issue, it is indeed a
national emergency and should have been treated as such from the
beginning.
Standard measures - with input from all countries within the UK - to
combat the situation across the whole UK would have helped clarify
them for everyone.
I can't help feeling that if they had invoked Emergency Powers there
would have been a number of people (and you might even have been among
them) complaining about a draconian reaction to a simple health problem.
I don't think I would have complained at the time as it was pretty clear
back then that it was a serious emergency. It's nowhere near as clear
now (if that makes sense) where it appears that there has been a lot of
over-reaction that is continuing and even getting worse.
John J Armstrong
2021-06-08 08:31:58 UTC
The correct powers to use were National Emergency, not Health. The
government made a fundamental mistake as the law used was not enacted
for the nature of the emergency to which it was applied. In theory
everything since has been illegal.
The UK government has made many mistakes, and we're all suffering as a
result. However, if you are correct that they used the wrong powers,
then all I can say is that, on this occasion, I'm glad.

This is not to say that the Scottish Govt has performed faultlessly -
it hasn't. But at least it has the honesty to admit when it makes
mistakes.
John Armstrong
2021-06-07 13:45:55 UTC
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.

As I have lived here all my threescore years and ten, I shall attempt
to "explain Scotland".

KRW's information is now incorrect. In all parts of the country, one
may now sit inside, until at least 10.30 pm, eat, and drink alcohol.

See here for more information.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-07 13:55:44 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 14:45:55, John Armstrong <***@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by John Armstrong
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.
[]
Welcome to UMRA! (Are you a listener?)

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes
John J Armstrong
2021-06-08 08:34:18 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 14:55:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by John Armstrong
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.
[]
Welcome to UMRA! (Are you a listener?)
Thank you for your, and others', greetings. Yes, I've been a listener
for quite a few years now.
Chris
2021-06-08 18:21:22 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.
[]
Welcome to UMRA! (Are you a listener?)
Thank you for your, and others', greetings. Yes, I've been a listener
for quite a few years now.
Welcome to umra, John A.

2021-06-07 14:50:30 UTC
Welcome to UMRA John.
krw
2021-06-07 15:30:56 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
Post by krw
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland? Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal. To do that you have to go
outside and sit down. How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.
As I have lived here all my threescore years and ten, I shall attempt
to "explain Scotland".
KRW's information is now incorrect. In all parts of the country, one
may now sit inside, until at least 10.30 pm, eat, and drink alcohol.
See here for more information.
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/
Welcome indeed. Having North Tyneside when the government said we
shouldn't I am not sure I can trust anything published on the web.
John J Armstrong
2021-06-08 08:36:41 UTC
Oh yes. There is a frightening amount of misinformation out there.
John Ashby
2021-06-08 13:11:21 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
[...]
s/web/internet/

Scrub that - s/ on the web//

2021-06-12 19:21:44 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
I have been "lurking" on this ng for some time, but have not felt the
need to write until now.
Rather late in the day, I'd just like to add my welcome to umra! I
should also remind you that, having delurked, you aren't allowed to
vanish again ;)
Walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in every one
(George Fox)
John Armstrong
Thank you! I shall bear your remarks in mind. :-)
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-07 21:27:24 UTC
I recently saw a tweet from someone referring to the "ridiculous"
table-only rule for alcohol.
But can you explain Scotland?  Apparently you can eat sitting down
inside but cannot drink with your meal.  To do that you have to go
outside and sit down.  How is that sensible to keep popping in and out
of a restaurant for a drink and of course no smoking either inside or
outside these days.
Shirley this is to prevent the well-know scotch egg ploy?

If you cannot deploy a scotch egg to disguise indoor sit-down drinking,
then the scotch egg loses all value.
2021-06-08 18:16:41 UTC
[...]
Don’t you mean Rosie-Pipsqueak and Xander? KRW?

2021-06-09 09:05:23 UTC
Post by Chris
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
2021-06-09 17:07:06 UTC
Post by Chris
Don’t you mean Rosie-Pipsqueak and Xander? KRW?
Sincerely Chris
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
I'm not sure that last is wise: Pip herself used to be known as
pipsqueak, not least because (I think) David sometimes called here that
affectionately. I think Rosie might UMRAtically have become _the_
pipsqueak ...
(Rather like W. Pooh; the "the" is of great significance. Though in his
case, nobody is _quite_ sure why.)

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26
John Ashby
2021-06-09 18:46:50 UTC
(Rather like W. Pooh; the "the" is of great significance. Though in his
case, nobody is _quite_ sure why.)
Billy Moon knew.

2021-06-09 21:47:52 UTC
[...]
We used to have a student called Xander at the music school but I had
forgotten his last name. So, prompted by your comment, I tried to look
him up. Xander. Percussion. That's got to be a Googlewhack at the very
least, I thought. Far too many pages of results to be immediately
useful. So I tried Xander, Percussion, Yorkshire. Still too many. If
Xander is not a real name there are an awful lot of folk who don't
know that.

2021-06-10 00:30:00 UTC
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
We used to have a student called Xander at the music school but I had
forgotten his last name. So, prompted by your comment, I tried to look
him up. Xander. Percussion. That's got to be a Googlewhack at the very
least, I thought. Far too many pages of results to be immediately
useful. So I tried Xander, Percussion, Yorkshire. Still too many. If
Xander is not a real name there are an awful lot of folk who don't
know that.
Nick
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl (which covers from mid-1837 to
1992) has (births):
1965Q3 2 (surnames Mason & Vella)
1966Q1 1 Butcher
1977Q3 1 Welman
1981Q2 2 Beck, vam der Bent
1982Q3 1 Gwynn
1983Q3 1 Dufaye
i. e. nothing before 1965, and only 8 altogether (unless born after
1992). So it's certainly not a common name, so it was possible for me to
copy the surnames. Of course, he may have been born after 1992 or
outside the countries FreeBMD covers. But maybe one of the above _will_
jog your memory.

Of course, if it was a nickname or variation. as students often do, it
could be (say) Alexander; I haven't looked, but I expect there are too
many of those to look through. (Though they usually abbreviate that to
Alex.)

People worry that computers will get too smart and take over the world, but
the real problem is that they're too stupid and they've already taken over the
world (Pedro Domingos, quoted by Wolf K in alt.windows7.general 2018-12-10)
Vicky Ayech
There was a Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Sid Nuncius
2021-06-10 08:28:41 UTC
On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 22:47:52 +0100, Nick Odell
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
We used to have a student called Xander at the music school but I had
forgotten his last name. So, prompted by your comment, I tried to look
him up. Xander. Percussion. That's got to be a Googlewhack at the very
least, I thought. Far too many pages of results to be immediately
useful. So I tried Xander, Percussion, Yorkshire. Still too many. If
Xander is not a real name there are an awful lot of folk who don't
know that.
There was a Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
It's quite a commonly used abbreviation for Alexander. Messrs Armstrong
(sometimes) and van Tulleken[1] both use it, for example. I can't what
might disqualify it from being a proper name.

[1]Televison celebrities, m'lud.
--
Sid
Tony Smith
2021-06-09 22:30:19 UTC
On Wednesday, 9 June 2021 at 10:05:23 UTC+1, krw wrote:

<snipped>
Surely it's a sort of fish eaten abroad. Or maybe that's Zander
Chris
2021-06-10 20:46:55 UTC
Post by Chris
[...]
No, no, no. Deavud or Roof wanted to name Pip, Philippa, it was thought
too grand, they settled for Pip, and Deavud was heard to refer to her as
Pipsqueak. Rosie would be Pip’s Squeak, Shirley?

2021-06-14 09:16:10 UTC
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:46:55 GMT, Chris <***@ntlworld.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris
Post by krw
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
No, no, no. Deavud or Roof wanted to name Pip, Philippa, it was thought
too grand, they settled for Pip, and Deavud was heard to refer to her as
Pipsqueak. Rosie would be Pip’s Squeak, Shirley?
Languid wave (although I think her 'proper' name is Philippa).
2021-06-14 14:34:26 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by krw
Xander is not a real name and Rosie is pipsqueak.
No, no, no. Deavud or Roof wanted to name Pip, Philippa, it was thought
too grand, they settled for Pip, and Deavud was heard to refer to her as
Pipsqueak. Rosie would be Pip’s Squeak, Shirley?
Languid wave (although I think her 'proper' name is Philippa).
You’re probably right. It’s too hot to go back upstairs for any of my
books atm.