Calling Min...
2021-04-26 18:17:06 UTC
Nice to see a film of your Dad briefly on the Guy Martin Battle of
Britain Pilot program (last night C4).
Min
2021-04-27 01:19:25 UTC
Nice to see a film of your Dad briefly on the Guy Martin Battle of
Britain Pilot program (last night C4).
I shall Catch Up! You are the second person to let me know, for
which Many Thanks - especially as you are the First to let me
know When and Where!
Min
Sid Nuncius
2021-04-27 05:45:53 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
Nice to see a film of your Dad briefly on the Guy Martin Battle of
Britain Pilot program (last night C4).
I shall Catch Up! You are the second person to let me know, for
which Many Thanks - especially as you are the First to let me
know When and Where!
Thanks from me too, Brritters. I'll look at it later.

While on the subject of TV may I indulge in a unimpressive knicker-flash
(sort of), which I may have mentioned before anyway? Noel Clarke is
starring in a crime drama on ITV all this week. (I've not seen it yet,
so cannot give an opinion, btw.) I taught Noel GCSE science for two
years. I claim no credit whatsoever for his (IMO deserved) success; I
didn't even know he was interested in drama. However, I do remember him
very clearly as a really nice young man whom I liked a lot. I'm
delighted to see him doing so well.

Er...that's it.
--
Sid
2021-04-27 07:51:54 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
Nice to see a film of your Dad briefly on the Guy Martin Battle of
Britain Pilot program (last night C4).
I shall Catch Up! You are the second person to let me know, for
which Many Thanks - especially as you are the First to let me
know When and Where!
Thanks from me too, Brritters.  I'll look at it later.
There's some nice flying in ther, but probably not from Guy Martin :/

It's a shame because I am quite prepared to believe he could be an
excellent pilot [1], but they did not invest the time in training him.
He should have at least done a PPL (quite possible to do in a month as I
did, especially with that lovely lady teaching him) and then he would
have been able to give less than 98% concentration on the flying in the
later stages and a bit more to the actual dog fighting. I know that they
were trying to show how little training the BoB pilots had before they
went into combat, but they'd all done multiple 10s of hours including
lots of solo flying.

[1] Not least because he's an accomplished motorbike racer [2]. OTOH the
multiple shots of him holding the stick in 2 hands for normal flying was
shocking.

[2] I have long wondered if Dad had bought the little sports car when I
was 17 and I had learned to drive before my PPL, whether I would have
been a better pilot. Experienced drivers have a lighter touch on the
wheel and do things without thinking about them and I'm sure that would
have helped.
Min
2021-04-28 00:08:07 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
[...]
The only person my Dad refused to teach was a young boy who had never even
ridden a bike, so I think learning to drive would have helped. But maybe not -
when I started driving a car (after riding a motorcycle) it took a long time
before I felt I wasn't sitting on the roof of the car with the controls a long way
away...
Min
BrritSki
2021-04-28 07:50:24 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
[2] I have long wondered if Dad had bought the little sports car when I
was 17 and I had learned to drive before my PPL, whether I would have
been a better pilot. Experienced drivers have a lighter touch on the
wheel and do things without thinking about them and I'm sure that would
have helped.
The only person my Dad refused to teach was a young boy who had never even
ridden a bike, so I think learning to drive would have helped.
Interesting. I rode my bike everywhere until I was 18. 1.5 miles to/from
school twice a day (I always came home for lunch). 80-100 miles on a
Sunday with the CTC in my early teens. Thought nothing of riding 5 or 6
miles to go somewhere. Yet I never remember it raining much :)

So I would have passed your Dad's first test !

I didn't start to learn to drive for at least a year after I left the
RAF and didn't seem to have any problems and passed the test first time.
I always had good reflexes by most people's standards, just not those of
my instructors or of my Dad/drother at sport :)
Nick Odell
2021-04-29 19:59:15 UTC
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:45:53 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Unfortunately, things don't seem to be looking quite so good for Mr
Clarke tonight:
<https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women>

2021-04-30 05:45:17 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
[...]
No. I posted elsewhere before I saw your post. I'm surprisingly upset
about it.
--
Sid
2021-04-30 13:47:09 UTC
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 06:45:17 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
[...]
I hope I would never undermine the credibility of anyone who has
undergone a traumatic experience of any sort or at any time.

I hope that The Guardian - a newspaper I enjoy and respect and the
only one I pay for - hasn't shot itself in the foot. Again.

I note that the only pieces published in The Guardian by one of the
reporters on the story appear to have been sexual exploitation
exposés.

I fear similarities between this story and ones like Cliff Richard and
Paul Gambaccini where the common factors seem to have been that the
subjects were popular, successful and different[1] from the
mainstream.

Right now I trust the instincts of somebody who knew him, day in and
day out, however many years ago, over the circling media sharks. I
hope it all comes out right in the end. And I hope the end is
mercifully soon for whoever has been wronged by all this.

Nick
[1]Celibate, Gay, Black, if you are asking.