OT: More woke nonsense from the BBC
2020-07-10 10:38:28 UTC
After the decision to spend £100m on diversity when the Beeb is already
more diverse than the general population, we now have this:

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>

I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-10 14:20:56 UTC
After the decision to spend £100m on diversity when the Beeb is already
(Are they?)
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50
?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people do
not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.

"Not an electronic sausage!"
Mike
2020-07-10 14:35:53 UTC
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50
?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people do
not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.
It makes me as a nearly 73 yo license payer very annoyed!
2020-07-10 17:12:00 UTC
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people do
not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.
Talking of binary and non-binary people, a situation arose recently
which might provoke a discussion. At the start of an online survery I
was asked whether I thought of myself (1) as male, female or other. I
selected female. At the end of the survey I had to select from several
options of age-range plus sex and I accidentally selected the correct
range but male, where I intended to select the one for that age range
and female. I was told that because I had failed the quality control
checks I had forfeited the reward for that Survey. Fair enough.

However, suppose I was - according to my Birth Certificate and in the
eyes of TPTB - a man and was mindful to undergo a sex-change. Could I
then have claimed that I WAS entitled to my reward, having correctly
stated my age and gender combination but THINKING of myself as different.

(1) I think the working was "think of myself" but could have been
something like "identify as" or "describe myself as."
Clive Arthur
2020-07-11 12:31:32 UTC
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50
?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people do
not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.
I'm looking forward to the acceptance of 'quantum gender' where you can
be all possible genders at the same time. All your bits will be qbits
and you can literally GFY.
--
Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
Does that involve Schrodinger's pussy ?
Clive Arthur
2020-07-11 13:59:51 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50
?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people
do not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.
I'm looking forward to the acceptance of 'quantum gender' where you
can be all possible genders at the same time.  All your bits will be
qbits and you can literally GFY.
Does that involve Schrodinger's pussy ?
Not sure, but it's a super position and involves double slits.
--
Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
:)
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-11 18:25:06 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by BrritSki
Post by Clive Arthur
I'm looking forward to the acceptance of 'quantum gender' where you
can be all possible genders at the same time.  All your bits will be
qbits and you can literally GFY.
Does that involve Schrodinger's pussy ?
Not sure, but it's a super position and involves double slits.
Just so long as there's no suggestion of interference. #MeToo
2020-07-11 18:06:02 UTC
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50
?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
I _tend_ to agree: "helps to ensure that trans and non-binary people
do not feel marginalised" does not IMO adequately consider how such
"advice" makes _non_-trans (or "binary"?) people feel.
I'm looking forward to the acceptance of 'quantum gender' where you can
be all possible genders at the same time.  All your bits will be qbits
and you can literally GFY.
But:
Doctor Heisenberg's proposition
Prevents us from perfect coition,
For we haven't a notion
Of the appropriate motion
To go with a given position.

2020-07-10 16:28:11 UTC
After the decision to spend £100m on diversity when the Beeb is already
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8ff3493a-c218-11ea-91bd-3bac3c644e50?shareToken=a0e4fb98411482fcd86dfce1dfe62f1f>
I feel a letter coming on to Tim Davie, sh/it/he/ad....
This makes sense, not just for trans but for all cultures where Western
style first names aren’t taken, and even when they do, they may be as
indecipherable as some we already have. Somewhere in my paternal family is
a 21st century born boy who has initials for his name. PJ or summat like
that. I’m all for it. Oh, and people like me forced into revealing my
gender when I’d rather not as in usenet originally but now social media has
forced my hand somewhat.

2020-07-10 16:59:56 UTC
This makes sense, not just for trans but for all cultures where Western
style first names aren’t taken, and even when they do, they may be as
indecipherable as some we already have.
I' afraid I don't agree with you there, Chris - about the Western style
culture thing. IMHO, ours is a country where our culture is
Western-style culture in general and British in particular and whereas I
have no objection to people of other cultures choosing to come and live
here, I think that if they do they should largely adopt our culture. I
think it is rather sad that the world is becoming one homogenized
community; just as it is now almost impossible to visit another town or
city and not see everything the same as I see in my own, it will soon be
impossible to visit any other country and see things which are different
to ours.