Ask EU: Thunderbird management
2020-07-10 12:04:28 UTC
Calling all those expert in Thunderbirds - I just did a routine backup
via MozBackup and noticed that the size of it is now 7.5 Gigabytes. This
is mostly in archived folders which I do need to use now and then.

Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My husband
uses an old Outlook programme (which works perfectly well for him) which
fell over at 2GB. I seem to remember that Turnpike fell over around 4GB.

Also, I have backups going back years. Outlook is horrible, but
retrieving old stuff is easy, you just open an old pst file. I've no
idea how you get into an old TB backup easily - I know it's in plain
text mbx format but that's a pain to winnow through. Does anyone know
how best to retrieve an inadvertently deleted email from one of these?

I just know that one of these days it will all collapse...
Sorry, I only use TB for usenet and don't keep much history...
Kosmo
2020-07-12 08:51:54 UTC
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 13:04:28 +0100, Kate B
Post by Kate B
Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My
husband

I got to 10Gb and it commenced crashing spontaneously. So I took the
archive files out, slimmed it down and the crashing has more or less
gone away.

So I would say yes.
Kosmo
Kate B
2020-07-12 17:26:12 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My
husband
I got to 10Gb and it commenced crashing spontaneously. So I took the
archive files out, slimmed it down and the crashing has more or less
gone away.
So I would say yes.
Thanks, Kosmo, I have been ferretting about a bit and was coming to a
similar conclusion. Where did you put your archive folders? And how do
you access them if you need to find something?
2020-07-13 10:54:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My
husband
I got to 10Gb and it commenced crashing spontaneously. So I took the
archive files out, slimmed it down and the crashing has more or less
gone away.
So I would say yes.
Thanks, Kosmo, I have been ferretting about a bit and was coming to a
similar conclusion. Where did you put your archive folders? And how do
you access them if you need to find something?
This is something I've been considering as well.

Can Mozbackup backup (and restore) specific folders, or groups of
folders? I was wondering whether installing a second copy of
Thunderbird might be an idea and moving my archives (or, maybe, just the
older archives) to that. The account there wouldn't be downloading any
fresh emails but would be able to send emails, so that I could either
forward an old email I needed again to myself, or whoever else might
need it, if/when I needed to do something with any of the archived stuff.
--
best wishes, Serena
To be astonished is one of the surest ways of not growing old too
quickly. (Colette)
steveski
2020-07-13 15:14:37 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My
husband
I got to 10Gb and it commenced crashing spontaneously. So I took the
archive files out, slimmed it down and the crashing has more or less
gone away.
So I would say yes.
Thanks, Kosmo, I have been ferretting about a bit and was coming to a
similar conclusion. Where did you put your archive folders? And how do
you access them if you need to find something?
This is something I've been considering as well.
Can Mozbackup backup (and restore) specific folders, or groups of
folders?
An add-on called 'Import/Export Tools' Works perfectly for me, with
subfolders and everything.
Flop
2020-07-13 16:26:02 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Does anyone know if there is a maximum working size for TB? My
husband
I got to 10Gb and it commenced crashing spontaneously. So I took the
archive files out, slimmed it down and the crashing has more or less
gone away.
So I would say yes.
Thanks, Kosmo, I have been ferretting about a bit and was coming to a
similar conclusion. Where did you put your archive folders? And how do
you access them if you need to find something?
This is something I've been considering as well.
Can Mozbackup backup (and restore) specific folders, or groups of
folders?
An add-on called 'Import/Export Tools' Works perfectly for me, with
subfolders and everything.
I wonder if you are looking in the wrong direction.

Forever willing to blame Micro$oft for all evils, I suspect that the
limit may be numbers rather than size.

Mozbackup just aggregates files into a large file.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/466521/how-many-files-can-i-put-in-a-directory

Though, having done a few calculations, I am now not too sure.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Paul G
2020-07-13 14:49:06 UTC
As an aside, I've been using Mailstore Home (free)
https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/ to archive TB mail
data. Another side-benefit it that it has excellent offline search
facilities which I find rather lacking in TB.
Kate B
2020-07-13 22:01:44 UTC
Post by Paul G
As an aside, I've been using Mailstore Home (free)
https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/ to archive TB mail
data. Another side-benefit it that it has excellent offline search
facilities which I find rather lacking in TB.
That sounds very interesting, may be exactly what I need. Thank you very
much.
2020-07-14 19:07:43 UTC
Post by Paul G
As an aside, I've been using Mailstore Home (free)
https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/ to archive TB mail
data. Another side-benefit it that it has excellent offline search
facilities which I find rather lacking in TB.
Thanks a lot, that looks just what's needed.
I have the body of an eighteen year old. I keep it in the fridge. (Spike
Milligan)