Ask EU: McAfee
Sid Nuncius
2020-09-27 05:08:59 UTC
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good. I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee. It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it. Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender? WD always worked fine on my old machine so I'm
inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I thought I'd
ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed and valuable
in these matters.

[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis. I can't really
complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use. I am badly in
umratic arrears as a result, though.
--
Sid
Steve Hague
2020-09-27 06:41:03 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old machine so I'm
inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I thought I'd
ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed and valuable
in these matters.
[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis.  I can't really
complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use.  I am badly in
umratic arrears as a result, though.
Welcome back Sid. I paid for McAfee back in the day, but found it got
increasingly intrusive. It might be different now, but I find Windows
Defender more than adequate.
Steve
DavidK
2020-09-27 08:56:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I don't use Windows, but I understood that Microsoft admitted Windows
Defender wasn't adequate. I may be confused.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-27 10:19:27 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and
Welcome back.
Post by DavidK
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
my new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-
(Presumably the delights of Windows 10 aren't bothering you. Though
Classic Shell - or one of the others similar - may make things look more
familiar.)
Post by DavidK
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
virus programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good,
it is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would
umrats recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse
and rely on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old
machine so I'm inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee,
but I thought I'd ask here because umra's advice is invariably
well-informed and valuable in these matters.
[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis.  I can't
really complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use.  I am
badly in umratic arrears as a result, though.
Assuming you made regular backups, a new hard drive could have been
fitted at a lot less cost than a new machine. (Even without backups, but
you'd need to reinstall everything including Windows, which is a vale of
tears.) All done now, though, so never mind - though depending _how_
gone the HD was (or if you _did_ have backups), the arrears may be
recoverable.
Post by DavidK
Post by Steve Hague
Welcome back Sid. I paid for McAfee back in the day, but found it got
increasingly intrusive. It might be different now, but I find Windows
Defender more than adequate.
Steve
I don't use Windows, but I understood that Microsoft admitted Windows
Defender wasn't adequate. I may be confused.
I found McAfee fine in a corporate environment - that is to say, my
employer (messybeast) had it, and if it suited them, it can't be bad.
That was some years ago though. For home use, I've never felt the need
to _pay_ for any AV product, but then I _think_ of myself as reasonably
savvy (I nearly fell for a phishing scam a few days ago on my parish
council laptop, but that was social engineering - and no AV software
would have prevented it. Details available if anyone's interested).

For home use, I just use one of the free ones: AVG on this Windows 7
machine, Avira on my old XP (AVG seemed a bit too resource-hungry there,
and Avira less so; AVG's fine here). The in-built Defender has, I
understand, been improved considerably after some version of Windows -
not sure if XP or 7 - before which it was only a firewall; people argue
about whether it's now adequate or not. Personally, I think I'd install
AVG as well - it's free, I find it unobtrusive, and it has (on here)
occasionally popped up that it's stopped something.

AVG and Avast are now, I understand, the same company, though I believe
the products - at least the user interfaces - still look different. (Not
to be confused with Avira. Which I got the feeling was German.) AVG is
basically a four-coloured square; Avast I think is more blobby.

If you _do_ decide against McAfee - as you say, it seems to work well
and unobtrusively, its only downside is not being free - get their own
removal tool; I presume they still offer it, though of course it's not
_easy_ to find on their website. AV products, by their very nature, are
very hard to remove!

Two observations about AV:

1. You never really know how good they are until they fail; it's like
house locks/alarm systems, you ... until you're burgled. You can ask as
you are doing, but:

2. Most private individuals will only have tried one or two products -
and in many cases, the one they're not using will have been some while
ago. So their advice - including mine! - will be at best (in most cases)
only able to compare two or at most three products. There are
professional reviews (mostly online - do magazines still exist?), but
(a) you can never be sure how independent they are, (b) even if they are
trustworthy, the weight they attach to various criteria - false
positives, response time to new threats, resource loading (how much they
slow the computer down - and _that_ depends on whether they test them on
their whizziest machine), what the AV products _do_ when they find
something - will be different to yours. The best reviews will rate the
competitors in various categories, and let you make your own weightings.

Good luck!

I think _most_ people can survive without really suffering, especially
if they make images (I use Macrium) of their OS partition (and any
hidden ones) from time to time, against not just malware (such as
ransomware), but also HD failure - and back up their data partition (I
use SyncToy, but it's basically just a copy, that just makes it faster
by not copying what's already copied). Though I'd use one of the free
ones (AVG at the moment) as well, as I see nothing to lose other than
intrusiveness.

(Oh, my council laptop seems to have Norton on; I presume that was put
on for me, and is a paid-for one. From time to time, I get a popup
offering me some extra part of Norton [such as guarding against dodgy
websites] for free as I have the product anyway. Sometimes I say OK - at
random really.)

"When was tomorrow yesterday, Mr. Marlowe?" (The Trouble with Harry)
198kHz
2020-09-27 20:41:57 UTC
Post by DavidK
I don't use Windows, but I understood that Microsoft admitted Windows
Defender wasn't adequate. I may be confused.
True back in the day, but it's now integrated as part of 'Windows
Security', and generally regarded as perfectly adequate for most users.
A bit of history here from the excellent 'Ask Leo' site:
https://askleo.com/difference-windows-defender-windows-security-microsoft-security-essentials/

It's worthwhile to download the free version of Malwarebytes to run
manually if anything seems askew.
198kHz
Nick Odell
2020-09-27 21:11:02 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by DavidK
I don't use Windows, but I understood that Microsoft admitted Windows
Defender wasn't adequate. I may be confused.
True back in the day, but it's now integrated as part of 'Windows
Security', and generally regarded as perfectly adequate for most users.
https://askleo.com/difference-windows-defender-windows-security-microsoft-security-essentials/
It's worthwhile to download the free version of Malwarebytes to run
manually if anything seems askew.
Last time we discussed anti-viruses - or was it the time before that?
- I think we came to the conclusion that Windows Defender under what
ever name did a pretty good job.

I only use the built in Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall and
(touch wood, cross fingers) have never had a problem.

Being paranoid - whether or not they really are out to get me - I
don't store any passwords or personal information on my Windows
computer but fetch it from elsewhere before I use it. Everything has
different passwords etc and I use a freshly booted Linux live session
for anything seriously important.

My point being that if anything made a grab for my Windows machine,
there wouldn't be anything interesting to be found but AFAIK Windows
Defender has always prevented any unwanted access.

HTH

Nick
DavidK
2020-09-28 11:15:21 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I use a freshly booted Linux live session
for anything seriously important.
Ah, me too. Ideally I would use a cut-down linux with nowt much more
than a browser that came up using a UK keyboard but I've never found
anything to approach that.

Wife won't connect her laptop to the internet and uses college-library
for email. That's not so easy these days so I leant her my laptop but,
again, it was running a live linux distribution.

I boot an iso-file on my hard-drive using grub2. Do you know of a live
linux distribution that accepts a parameter to specify UK keyboard?
Sid Nuncius
2020-09-28 17:02:47 UTC
Post by DavidK
I boot an iso-file on my hard-drive using grub2.
Steady on, old chap! Family newsgroup and all that.
--
Sid
Nick Odell
2020-09-28 21:25:45 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Nick Odell
I use a freshly booted Linux live session
for anything seriously important.
Ah, me too. Ideally I would use a cut-down linux with nowt much more
than a browser that came up using a UK keyboard but I've never found
anything to approach that.
Wife won't connect her laptop to the internet and uses college-library
for email. That's not so easy these days so I leant her my laptop but,
again, it was running a live linux distribution.
I boot an iso-file on my hard-drive using grub2. Do you know of a live
linux distribution that accepts a parameter to specify UK keyboard?
I usually buy the latest version of the release I want to use for a
couple of quid on eBay. Invariably it seems to be already set up for
UK keyboard and timezone. (Any funny time stamps you are seeing on
this message is a direct result of NBingA to change the clock back to
Argentine time when I swap from Linux to Windows.)

Nick
BrritSki
2020-09-27 09:23:45 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old machine so I'm
inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I thought I'd
ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed and valuable
in these matters.
My understanding is that WD is adequate these days, but I could be
wrong. Personally I used Trend Micro's Maximim Security and haven;t had
any problems. Not the cheapest, but lets me protect multiple computers.

Good luck
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-28 07:32:14 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and
my new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on
anti-virus programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good,
it is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would
umrats recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse
and rely on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old machine
so I'm inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I
thought I'd ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed
and valuable in these matters.
My understanding is that WD is adequate these days, but I could be
wrong. Personally I used Trend Micro's Maximim Security and haven;t had
any problems. Not the cheapest, but lets me protect multiple computers.
Good luck
Naive questions:

What is Windows Defender?

Does it only defend Win 10?

How do I get it?

Mike Ruddock
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-28 11:08:13 UTC
On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 08:32:14, Mike Ruddock
<***@btinternet.com> wrote:
[]
If you don't ask ...
Post by Mike Ruddock
What is Windows Defender?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Defender (yes, name change) says
it (Windows Defender) started as anti-spyware for Windows XP, and "has
evolved into a full antivirus program, replacing Microsoft Security
Essentials as part of Windows 8 and later versions."
Post by Mike Ruddock
Does it only defend Win 10?
"Before Windows 8, Windows Defender only protected users against
spyware. It includes a number of real-time security agents that monitor
several common areas of Windows for changes which might have been caused
by spyware. It also has the ability to remove installed ActiveX
software. ... Protection against viruses was subsequently added in
Windows 8; which resembles Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It also
uses the same anti-malware engine and virus definitions from MSE."

"While the original GIANT AntiSpyware officially supported older Windows
versions, support for the Windows 9x line of operating systems was later
dropped by Microsoft." [Who had bought GIANT in 2004.]
Post by Mike Ruddock
How do I get it?
Apparently came with Vista and 7 (as antispyware), and 8 and 10 (as AV).
Was downloadable for XP (I don't know if it is still - I'd expect not,
from MS anyway). [If you've got 8 or 10 and for some reason haven't got
it, I imagine it'll come as part of upgrades - assuming you haven't got
something else.]

"Windows Defender is on by default. It switches itself off upon
installation of a third-party anti-virus package." Interesting!

The Wikipedia article seems fairly comprehensive, though only mentions
favourable reviews and the like.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
John

"Corrupt politicians make the other 10% look bad."
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-28 13:49:53 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
How do I get it?
Apparently came with Vista and 7 (as antispyware), and 8 and 10 (as AV).
Was downloadable for XP (I don't know if it is still - I'd expect not,
from MS anyway). [If you've got 8 or 10 and for some reason haven't got
it, I imagine it'll come as part of upgrades - assuming you haven't got
something else.]
"Windows Defender is on by default. It switches itself off upon
installation of a third-party anti-virus package." Interesting!
The Wikipedia article seems fairly comprehensive, though only mentions
favourable reviews and the like.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
John
Thanks.
Mike Ruddock
Chris J Dixon
2020-09-27 09:56:34 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good. I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
I have used Kaspersky for a few years now, and all seems well.
When I first moved from McAfee, it was on the basis of reviews.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Peter
2020-09-27 11:13:41 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old machine so I'm
inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I thought I'd
ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed and valuable
in these matters.
[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis.  I can't really
complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use.  I am badly in
umratic arrears as a result, though.
I have never used other than which Windows provides and I have never had
any problems.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-09-27 12:18:54 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good.
You had a laptop catastrophe too? Sid? I tripped over the power cord of
my MacBook, dragging it onto the floor where it landed awkwardly
damaging the lid and messing up the display. As it's four years old and
out of warranty Apple wanted GBP 500+ to fix it so I guess it's a
write-off. Insured? Naturally, I was going to wait until my finances
were straight...

Since I'm now Zoom-intensive with my MLitt course being taught remotely
at the moment I had no alternative but to revert to my old Packard-Bell
laptop with Linux on it. This was old but perfectly adequate even
running the KDE Plasma desktop until I started using Zoom a lot, but
Zoom consumes vast quantities of resources to I've had to downgrade to a
less memory-hungry desktop.

  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
Post by Sid Nuncius
programs, please.
Well, I wasn't wild about total shielding lockdown that meant
house-arrest for four months while being sent boxes of tinned food I
can't use (catering-size tins of chopped tomatoes for example) that ran
me out of storage space. And I think some of the recent measures are
overkill given that most spikes lately have been very localised and down
to people being idiots, for example holding alcohol-fuelled block
parties immediately on arrival in university residences when they were
specifically told not to, and then whining about the ensuing quarantine.
I, too, am a "fresher" at Glasgow University this month and I got the
same information for freshers that they got and the instructions are
clear. Of course the Scottish ban on students going to pubs and cafés
this weekend has been clarified as applying to me too so if I pop into
the Three Craws for a quiet dram and a pint I'm infringing the rules and
liable to be disciplined by the university up to and including
suspension if I do it more than once. Unforeseen consequences but really
pissy.

Oh, you didn't mean that kind of virus. being a sensible sort of user I
use either Linux or BSD-based MacOS rather than
glitzy-veneer-on-seriously-crap-OS Windoze (from the people who gave you
EDLIN), so I'm less prone to viruses anyway. But surely, Sid, you are
the bright sort of chap who knows what not to do to avoid viruses? Just
don't do those things. It's a bit like not having block parties during a
global pandemic really;
Post by Sid Nuncius
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender?
I have long suspected that McAfee is yet another way to part the
gullible from their money. Act responsibly and don't get the viruses.
Corporate systems will have problems because there will always be an
idiot clicking on links in emails but as an individual user you are in
control of what you allow on your system. What sort of name is McAfee
anyway? I can't find any trace of the clan mac Afaigh or possibly mac
Fhafaigh. Apparently being bloody septics they pronounce it all wrong
too, with the stress on the first syllable. Bound to be fraudsters!
Post by Sid Nuncius
[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis.  I can't really
complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use.  I am badly in
umratic arrears as a result, though.
It's a semi-permanent state with me. It's going to become more so
between now and next summer, and more so if I go on to do a PhD. You
realise I'm in essay-avoidance mode even as I write? Some things never
change. See also having a seminar at 10 and suddenly being very
reluctant to get out of bed.

Peter
2020-09-27 12:44:08 UTC
Languid wave.
Sid Nuncius
2020-09-28 05:03:53 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I have long suspected that McAfee is yet another way to part the
gullible from their money. Act responsibly and don't get the viruses.
Languid wave.
Many thanks to everyone for the responses. I'll mull this over, but I'm
inclined to rely on Windows Defender. It seemed to be enough on my old
machine and as Rosie said, I'm pretty cautious - although WD has removed
a couple of trojans over the years which have got in somehow.

I'm much happier about making the decision now I have umra's views on
the matter. Much appreciated, MOPsMOBs.
--
Sid
the Omrud
2020-09-30 15:40:09 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm getting back to normal after the Great Laptop Catastrophe[1] and my
new one seems very good.  I'd welcome umrats' experience on anti-virus
programs, please.
The laptop came with a month's free trial of McAfee.  It seems good, it
is generally pretty unobtrusive and I'm happy with it.  Would umrats
recommend paying to keep McAfee or should I just let it lapse and rely
on Windows Defender?  WD always worked fine on my old machine so I'm
inclined to go back to it rather than pay for McAfee, but I thought I'd
ask here because umra's advice is invariably well-informed and valuable
in these matters.
[1]"Your hard drive's gone," was the terminal diagnosis.  I can't really
complain - it's 8 years old and has had a lot of use.  I am badly in
umratic arrears as a result, though.
Blimey, I live in a bubble. I thought everybody used the free version
of Avast now.

Windows Defender stays on regardless, so you get that as well.
David
Mike
2020-09-30 16:04:53 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Do either of these suites use social distancing I wonder???!;-)))
Toodle Pip
Sam Plusnet
2020-09-30 19:00:32 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Too many suites and you'll have to let your belt out another notch.
Sam Plusnet
Mike
2020-09-30 19:56:03 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Well, I was wondering if there was avast distance between de fender and de
boot.
--
Toodle Pip