Ask Technica Umratica: Windows 10 update
Sid Nuncius
2019-11-25 06:37:05 UTC
I mentioned a while ago that my cheapo but serviceable notebook wasn't
installing the latest Windows Feature Update. It only has 32GB storage,
which is now almost completely full of Windows itself and about 19GB of
Windows update files.

I have tried several times to update using the wizard and straight from
Security and Update in Settings. It asks for external memory to be
inserted, but fails to recognise it. I've tried an SD card and two
different USB sticks, all of which show up as normal in Widows Explorer
[TWATBILI] and work normally, but the update instructions don't see them
and continue to ask me for external storage. So - no update.

Question: if I delete the Windows Update files, will anything
catastrophic happen? Googling suggests not and that Windows will
probably just download them again, but I'd welcome some umratic advice,
which I trust.

(It's probably worth saying that I use the notebook almost exclusively
for TV, so there's nothing vital or irreplaceable on it. I could
therefore re-install Windows - which I've already had to do once. It
would be a nuisance having to re-enter passwords, reconfigure etc., but
should be possible if necessary. Do umrats think this is a sensible
option, or should I just delete the update files and see how things go?)

All advice gratefully received.
John Ashby
2019-11-25 07:57:24 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I would probably delete the oldest 50% (or thereabouts) and see if that
helps. IANAWindowsUser, but have in the past had problems on Linux with
a machine getting clogged up with .rpm's (the files by which some
flavours of Linux deliver their updates) and being unable to perform any
more updates.

As you say, there is not a great deal to lose, back up anything you
think you might need to.

[As an aside, in an effort to get iPlayer to work on our Panasonic
recorder box thingy I copied all but one expendable program onto an
external drive (took boodly hours) and performed a factory reset. The
expendable was still there and iPlayer still doesn't work, so that's all
good.]

john
Penny
2019-11-25 21:15:35 UTC
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 07:57:24 +0000, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by John Ashby
[As an aside, in an effort to get iPlayer to work on our Panasonic
recorder box thingy I copied all but one expendable program onto an
external drive (took boodly hours) and performed a factory reset. The
expendable was still there and iPlayer still doesn't work, so that's all
good.]
How old is you Panasonic box?
iPlayer stopped working on my Humax box a couple of years ago because it
could no longer get updates (or something). There were warning messages
about it for a few months before it happened. One day I may get a new
(probably) Humax box but I can get iPlayer on a not-quite-so-old Sony
DVD/Bluray player I got for £20 from eTsco and rarely use it anyway. I tend
to watch BBC stuff and record everything with adverts.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Flop
2019-11-25 10:01:24 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
First, clean the disk

1. File explorer
2. Right click on C:
3. 'Clean Disk'

Second, delete update files

It is very unlikely that you will do any damage deleting windows update
files. If you are using Win10 then it is probable that it will refredh
anything you need.

1. Open File Explorer.
2. Go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. ...
3. Select all files of the folder(press the Ctrl-A keys).
4. Press the Delete key on the keyboard.
Windows may request administrator privileges to delete those files.

Thirdly, run Fragment Disk

1. File explorer
2. Right click on C:
3. 'Defrag Disk'

Finally run 'Clean Disk' again. Use CCleaner if you can.

---

There is also ReadyBoost to link USB or SD to Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2442620/usb-and-sd-storage-media-readyboost-with-a-sd-card-or-a-flash-drive
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Sid Nuncius
2019-11-25 18:07:38 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Many thanks to both John and Flop. I followed Flop's scheme (using
Glary rather than Ccleaner), which has freed up about 6GB. There's
still 10GB of files I can't account for, though. The Windows(C:) folder
is about 18GB; Windows itself is about 8GB and nothing else there seems
to be more than a few hundred MB. I have almost no files, music,
pictures etc. stored. Is this normal, or is there more I can do to free
up enough space for Windows to update itself at some point?[1]

Sorry to be a numpty.

[1]It's possible it won't do further updates as I think the version I'm
on is, or very soon will be, "Out of support". Given that its use is
limited pretty much to TV watching, this doesn't bother me so long as
Windows Defender continues to work properly and keep itself up-to-date.
Flop
2019-11-25 18:42:50 UTC
Many thanks to both John and Flop.  I followed Flop's scheme (using
Glary rather than Ccleaner), which has freed up about 6GB.  There's
still 10GB of files I can't account for, though.  The Windows(C:) folder
is about 18GB; Windows itself is about 8GB and nothing else there seems
to be more than a few hundred MB.  I have almost no files, music,
pictures etc. stored.  Is this normal, or is there more I can do to free
up enough space for Windows to update itself at some point?[1]
Sorry to be a numpty.
[1]It's possible it won't do further updates as I think the version I'm
on is, or very soon will be, "Out of support".  Given that its use is
limited pretty much to TV watching, this doesn't bother me so long as
Windows Defender continues to work properly and keep itself up-to-date.
Glary should show you where the big files are.[Files and Folders/Disc
Space Analyzer]. I assume you show hidden files.

There are a number of reasons Windows will not update:

- It is your latest but not Windows latest.

- Windows takes a hell of a long time to get round to everyone.

- Windows has got itself stuck. Try manual updates.

Serena Blanchflower
2019-11-25 20:04:45 UTC
Post by Flop
[...]
If Glary doesn't show you what you need, try downloading and installing
<https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/> (don't worry, it isn't
very large!) which will show you what's using the space on your drive.

Some time ago, I had a problem when the SSD on this machine filled up
but it turned out that Windows was amassing a huge folder of, IIRC,
thumbnails which were taking up a ridiculous amount of space. Once
those had been deleted, all was well. I was also able to set CCleaner
to keep deleting them on sight (I don't know if Glary will do this for
you), which stopped the problem happening again.
--
Best wishes, Serena
The 'good life' begins when you stop wanting a better one (Nkosiphambili
E. Molapis)
Sid Nuncius
2019-11-26 06:15:31 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Flop
[...]
Many thanks, both. I'll try all that later on.