Ask EU: Screwdrivers
Jenny M Benson
2020-12-31 10:42:03 UTC
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.

Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice. I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Jenny M Benson
krw
2020-12-31 10:56:41 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade."  There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice.  I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
I have had mine so many years that I am not sure I can give advice.
Typically if buying tools I tend to buy the Stanley brand on the grounds
of then generally giving good service - no doubt other brands and
loyalties exist!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Joe Kerr
2020-12-31 15:21:57 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade."  There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough
to get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't
wantthe Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a
pencil after just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice.  I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
I have had mine so many years that I am not sure I can give advice.
Typically if buying tools I tend to buy the Stanley brand on the grounds
of then generally giving good service - no doubt other brands and
loyalties exist!
I bought a set of Stanley drivers about 40 years ago when I got my first
car. They have not been used much since I could afford a car that didn't
keep dropping apart but they are good and sturdy and are still in good
order.

I bought a set of own brand Torx drivers from Wickes a year ago to
replace the hinges on a fridge. I've only used them one but they
appeared well made and rugged. The matching screwdrivers might meet your
needs - something such as
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12-Piece-Screwdriver-Set/p/149046
Ric
Peter
2020-12-31 11:13:40 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade."  There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice.  I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Is this

https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-12-piece-multi-bit-ratchet-screwdriver-set/1149415_BQ.prd

the sort of thing you're looking for? The angle-able handle may help
with leverage.
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Peter
2020-12-31 11:15:52 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade."  There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough
to get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't
wantthe Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a
pencil after just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice.  I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Is this
https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-12-piece-multi-bit-ratchet-screwdriver-set/1149415_BQ.prd
the sort of thing you're looking for?  The angle-able handle may help
with leverage.
Note the poor review! I had wondered if it could be any good given the
low price. Now I know.
Vicky Ayech
2020-12-31 11:23:34 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:42:03 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice. I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Person who does says you only need 2 screw drivers, a flat head and a
medium size Philips. Those cover everything more or less. You should
get case-hardened steele, not soft, but the harder the more chance it
sill break. If you spend about 10 quid per one he says you will have
it and so will any grandchildren.

I think 10 each sounds a lot to me but I have never bought a screw
driver. Capt Ex got a DIY book from my mum once and I htink a set of
tools. or maybe a box of them, or a box for them. And B loves that
stuff. He was electrician helper as one of may jobs and has neat draws
and boxes with screws and batteries and many mysterious things.
Vicky Ayech
2020-12-31 11:26:05 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice. I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Person who does says you only need 2 screw drivers, a flat head and a
medium size Philips. Those cover everything more or less. You should
get case-hardened steele, not soft, but the harder the more chance it
steel
Post by Vicky Ayech
sill break. If you spend about 10 quid per one he says you will have
will break
Post by Vicky Ayech
it and so will any grandchildren.
I think 10 each sounds a lot to me but I have never bought a screw
driver. Capt Ex got a DIY book from my mum once and I htink a set of
tools. or maybe a box of them, or a box for them. And B loves that
stuff. He was electrician helper as one of may jobs and has neat draws
many jobs and neat drawers
Mike McMillan
2020-12-31 11:37:28 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
On a point of order M’Lud, I find that one requires rather more than two
dry scroovers to cover the average odd-jobs around the house. I have at
least three sizes of Phillips, a Pozidrive and three or more sizes of flat
blade that are used often; then there are smaller Phillips and flat blade
plus very large flat bladed drivers used from time to time. Then of course
there are all the odd-ball styles of driver and these are covered by
several sets I have accumulated over the years. I wouldn’t say you might
need as many as I use but my range must exceed 30 tools.
Steve Hague
2020-12-31 12:57:01 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
On a point of order M’Lud, I find that one requires rather more than two
dry scroovers to cover the average odd-jobs around the house. I have at
least three sizes of Phillips, a Pozidrive and three or more sizes of flat
blade that are used often; then there are smaller Phillips and flat blade
plus very large flat bladed drivers used from time to time. Then of course
there are all the odd-ball styles of driver and these are covered by
several sets I have accumulated over the years. I wouldn’t say you might
need as many as I use but my range must exceed 30 tools.
I must have twenty odd Philips, Pozidrive and flat blade screwdrivers,
not including the electric ones and assorted bits.
I bought them all from the local hardware shop over about 30 years,
apart from the Torx ones. The screwdrivers which come in blister packs
of several aren't worth the paper they appear to be made of.
Steve
Sam Plusnet
2020-12-31 20:04:59 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
True.
I have (more or less) the same range of 'one-off' screwdrivers (flat,
Pozi & Phillips) - backed up by a couple of sets of those hex bits which
fit into a separate handle. One of those sets contains all the
'Security' bits for fasteners which are supposed to defeat the common
range of screwdrivers.
I always use the 'one-off' screwdrivers if at all possible, because they
fit into tight spaces much better and don't wobble.
The hex bit & holder stuff is there as a back up.

P.S. Whatever type of screwdriver you settle for, a nice fat handle with
a good grip allows you to apply the maximum torque to those really
stubborn screws.
P.P.S. Some screwdrivers have a hexagon section on the shaft near the
handle. If you can grip that with a spanner, you can apply even more
torque.
Sam Plusnet
Nick Odell
2020-12-31 20:32:27 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
Yes, but how many Robertson screwdrivers do you have in your
collection[1] and do you ever use them[2]?

Nick
[1]Two #0, #1
[2]Yes
Sam Plusnet
2021-01-01 19:17:25 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Yes, but how many Robertson screwdrivers do you have in your
collection[1] and do you ever use them[2]?
Nick
[1]Two #0, #1
[2]Yes
Do I look Canadian to you Eh?
Sam Plusnet
Nick Odell
2021-01-01 22:03:03 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Nick Odell
Yes, but how many Robertson screwdrivers do you have in your
collection[1] and do you ever use them[2]?
Nick
[1]Two #0, #1
[2]Yes
Do I look Canadian to you Eh?
Funny you should say that.

Way, way, back in time when Latex and I got engaged, I bought her a
ring and she bought me..

...a bentwood rocking chair. Make of that what you will.

It came from the not-quite Far East - Malaysia or Indonesia or
somewhere like that which makes it all the more strange why it should
have been held together with Robertson screws. Which makes it all the
more reasonable - when I needed to dismantle the chair and put it in
storage at some point in my life - that I should have sought out a
couple of Robertson drivers and added them to my collection.

Nick
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-01-01 00:12:23 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
(Usually called "bits".)
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jenny M Benson
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
The usual reason for that happening is use of the wrong size, or
particularly type; there are actually two types - I forget which one is
Posidriv; they are the ones where the cross-section truly is just a
cross, and the ones where there are thinner blades (?) between the main
four. Basically, try the bit in the screw head before you attach the
handle; it should fit snugly, so you can't turn the bit on its own
without the screw turning. If you can, you've got the wrong size and/or
type.
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jenny M Benson
Looking sy Amazon I am totally boggled by the choice. I'm sure there
must be a few Umrats who DoItThemselves who can advise.
Person who does says you only need 2 screw drivers, a flat head and a
medium size Philips. Those cover everything more or less. You should
Depends on your range of activities.
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
get case-hardened steele, not soft, but the harder the more chance it
sill break. If you spend about 10 quid per one he says you will have
it and so will any grandchildren.
I think 10 each sounds a lot to me but I have never bought a screw
driver. Capt Ex got a DIY book from my mum once and I htink a set of
tools. or maybe a box of them, or a box for them. And B loves that
stuff. He was electrician helper as one of may jobs and has neat draws
and boxes with screws and batteries and many mysterious things.
Depends how much you think you are going to use them. If professionally,
then maybe a tenner each makes sense. For my use, it doesn't.
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
I mainly use two little grey cases I got from Lidl, I'm sure for not
very much (and I suspect I bought one forgetting I had the other) -
they're about 4 by 5 or six inches. One has a handle with a socket and a
set of about ten bits, which serves me most of the time. The other day I
had to use a mole grips on the handle to start a screw, but I think I
would have had to regardless of the type of driver; it was just a plain
slotted screw - but I think it was just that it had been done up for
about 20-21 years, and was brass, so had sort of part-seized. [I had a
fire in my grill, so had to replace my double-oven unit; fortunately I
found one 18 miles away where someone was doing up their kitchen so had
the old unit for very little. Despite what one might expect, these units
are just connected by normal - though heavy! - three-core cable; but,
the screw on the live wire definitely didn't want to budge.] I think the
case contains one or two other items - a wee tape measure and a spirit
level - that I've never used.

The other little case has about half a dozen "Jeweller's screwdrivers" -
I rarely need them, but they're invaluable when I do.

They don't (either case) seem to be on Lidl's website at the moment - I
think they come round about once a year - but looking at what is, this
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-screwdriver-bit-set/p38740
looks like a good set - and at that price, you can afford to break a
few, though I don't actually think you would. The handles have a
transverse hole, too, which would allow leverage. I think "precision"
means "jeweller's", i. e. tiny tips; the normal ones (including the one
that takes the bits) have broad handles anyway. And are magnetic.

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
Min
2021-01-01 01:06:05 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Philips/Posidrive type "blades" to wear into a point like a pencil after
just a couple of uses.
Apologies, I can't remember where I bought it, but a pistol grip magnetic
ratchet screwdriver is awesome. The pistol grip and ratchet gives you
tons of torque (leverage) and the magnetic bit means you don't drop the
screws once you've got the nuggers off. Typing the above into Amazon
gives you a Stanley (with 24 bits but no apparent magnetism) for
£24 and a KLEIN TOOLS store Magnetizer with no price - visit KLEIN
store. I cannot commend pistol grip and ratchet enough!
---
Min (who found lopping trees much easier when I remembered
Diogenes...)
Jenny M Benson
2021-01-06 15:48:17 UTC
Post by Min
Apologies, I can't remember where I bought it, but a pistol grip magnetic
ratchet screwdriver is awesome. The pistol grip and ratchet gives you
tons of torque (leverage) and the magnetic bit means you don't drop the
screws once you've got the nuggers off. Typing the above into Amazon
gives you a Stanley (with 24 bits but no apparent magnetism) for
£24 and a KLEIN TOOLS store Magnetizer with no price - visit KLEIN
store. I cannot commend pistol grip and ratchet enough!
Many thanks for all advice on this subject. I chose a Stanley, which
has now been delivered to Northop but unfortunately I was delivered to
Ruabon before it arrived. I look forward to some good screwing in the
near future.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
Mike McMillan
2021-01-06 15:57:26 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
Apologies, I can't remember where I bought it, but a pistol grip magnetic
ratchet screwdriver is awesome. The pistol grip and ratchet gives you
tons of torque (leverage) and the magnetic bit means you don't drop the
screws once you've got the nuggers off. Typing the above into Amazon
gives you a Stanley (with 24 bits but no apparent magnetism) for
£24 and a KLEIN TOOLS store Magnetizer with no price - visit KLEIN
store. I cannot commend pistol grip and ratchet enough!
Many thanks for all advice on this subject. I chose a Stanley, which
has now been delivered to Northop but unfortunately I was delivered to
Ruabon before it arrived. I look forward to some good screwing in the
near future.
Oh dear! I think this must be the most blatant attempt at gaining a BTN I
have seen in some time! Just make sure you don’t get cross threaded and
ensure you use a pilot hole to assist accuracy and, ... ensure you have the
right head.
Vicky Ayech
2021-01-06 17:46:06 UTC
On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:57:26 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
Does this post from Mike count as a BTN for Jenny? If not then BTN and
one for Mike too.
John Ashby
2021-01-06 19:30:33 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
In this case (and under my predecessor's earlier reprimand) MV for both.

Now had there been a mention of Stanley's association with Whitbread
Tankard, that would have been Bad Taste.

john
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-01-06 19:41:18 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:57:26 GMT, Mike McMillan
[]
Post by John Ashby
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Many thanks for all advice on this subject. I chose a Stanley, which
has now been delivered to Northop but unfortunately I was delivered to
Ruabon before it arrived. I look forward to some good screwing in the
near future.
I was in Lidl yesterday, and had a look at the 9.9x red and grey set (37
pieces IIRR, though that always includes the box/rack/whatever), and
thought it looked very good: I was even tempted, but it mostly
duplicates a lot of what I've already got, so didn't. (I did succumb to
the long-retention rechargeable AAs, though - probably in part
influenced by their pretty sparkly appearance ...) They also had a
pistol-grip set at a very good price.
Post by John Ashby
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Mike McMillan
Oh dear! I think this must be the most blatant attempt at gaining a BTN I
Yes, I thought that (-:!
Post by John Ashby
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Mike McMillan
have seen in some time! Just make sure you don’t get cross threaded and
ensure you use a pilot hole to assist accuracy and, ... ensure you have the
right head.
Does this post from Mike count as a BTN for Jenny? If not then BTN and
one for Mike too.
Yes, excellent ...
Post by John Ashby
In this case (and under my predecessor's earlier reprimand) MV for both.
... though I agree there. VG though (as usual from Mike).
Post by John Ashby
Now had there been a mention of Stanley's association with Whitbread
Tankard, that would have been Bad Taste.
Isn't Watney's Red Barrel the worst? (Dunno, I don't like any beer. Just
I had a friend who loved the Python rant that mentioned it, who hadn't
realised it was a real thing.)
Post by John Ashby
john

No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.
- Penny Mayes, UMRA, 2014-August
John Ashby
2021-01-06 20:22:11 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by John Ashby
Now had there been a mention of Stanley's association with Whitbread
Tankard, that would have been Bad Taste.
Isn't Watney's Red Barrel the worst? (Dunno, I don't like any beer. Just
I had a friend who loved the Python rant that mentioned it, who hadn't
realised it was a real thing.)
Much of a muchness, but the Whitbread was always known by its spoonerism.

john
Steve Hague
2021-01-07 10:37:06 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by John Ashby
Post by John Ashby
Post by John Ashby
Post by John Ashby
Now had there been a mention of Stanley's association with Whitbread
Tankard, that would have been Bad Taste.
Isn't Watney's Red Barrel the worst? (Dunno, I don't like any beer. Just
I had a friend who loved the Python rant that mentioned it, who hadn't
realised it was a real thing.)
Post by John Ashby
john
Imported American beer, in particular Bud Lite are horrible. I remember
the Python joke about why is American beer like making love in a canoe....
Steve
Steve Hague

Vicky Ayech
2021-01-06 21:02:57 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
There is a list of places not to visit in Midsommer. Did I post it
here? One place not to visit is a brewery and there is a Nicholas
Blake book in a brewery too.
Mike McMillan
2021-01-07 09:10:37 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
There is a list of places not to visit in Midsommer. Did I post it
here? One place not to visit is a brewery and there is a Nicholas
Blake book in a brewery too.
It must be akin to not holidaying (remembers those?!) anywhere near
Hercules Parrot when he is ‘on Vacance’; no good ever becomes it y’know!
Sam Plusnet
2021-01-06 19:23:18 UTC
Post by Min
Apologies, I can't remember where I bought it, but a pistol grip magnetic
ratchet screwdriver is awesome.   The pistol grip and ratchet gives you
tons of torque (leverage) and the magnetic bit means you don't drop the
screws once you've got the nuggers off.  Typing the above into Amazon
gives you a Stanley (with 24 bits but no apparent magnetism) for
£24 and a KLEIN TOOLS store Magnetizer with no price - visit KLEIN
store.  I cannot commend pistol grip and ratchet enough!
Many thanks for all advice on this subject.  I chose a Stanley, which
has now been delivered to Northop but unfortunately I was delivered to
Ruabon before it arrived.  I look forward to some good screwing in the
near future.
Thank you for that riveting post.
Sam Plusnet
Mike McMillan
2021-01-01 08:47:09 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The usual reason for that happening is use of the wrong size, or
particularly type; there are actually two types - I forget which one is
Posidriv; they are the ones where the cross-section truly is just a
cross, and the ones where there are thinner blades (?) between the main
four. Basically, try the bit in the screw head before you attach the
handle; it should fit snugly, so you can't turn the bit on its own
without the screw turning. If you can, you've got the wrong size and/or
type.
Pozidrive have the ‘thinner blades’ between the cross points. For further
enlightenment, may I commend further reference, perhaps starting at:
https://bsfixings.uk/the-difference-between-phillips-and-pozi-screw

THBAPSA HAND
Penny
2021-01-02 19:48:28 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:42:03 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
I want to buy either a set of assorted screwdrivers or one of those
handles into which one fits the appropriate "blade." There are 2
considerations - I want the (assembled) screwdriver to be long enough to
get a good leverage when undoing really tight screws and I don't wantthe
Um, it's not the length of the handle which gives the best leverage. A fat
handle will give you a good grip but one of my favourites which takes any
standard bit is skinny, about 3" long, with one end at a right angle to the
shaft. There are hex sockets in both ends where you can put the bit. So you
can have the handle at right angles to the screw for better leverage or in
the other end for easier twiddling.

Whatever you do, don't get one which holds it's spare bits in a compartment
in the handle which gets accidently opened in use - I've dropped and lost
bits out of that sort far too often.

As Min says, magnetic is useful - it's usually just a tiny round magnet
stuck in the bottom of the socket.

The bits, as others have said, need to be good quality - not sure how you
tell that before you buy. In my experience the price is not always a good
guide.

Personally, I mostly use a cheap cordless electric screwdriver these days,
my arthritis doesn't like using screwdrivers at all.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959