So, farewell then...
Sid Nuncius
2021-11-29 06:53:53 UTC
...Stephen Sondheim.
You have gone into the celestial woods
Never to return.

To be honest,
I have always viewed your music
With a good deal more respect than affection
And had a lot of sympathy with this

And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
Until I heard this:

Which just goes to show.
--
Sid
Sid Nuncius
2021-11-29 09:58:23 UTC
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:53:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
...Stephen Sondheim.
You have gone into the celestial woods
Never to return.
To be honest,
I have always viewed your music
With a good deal more respect than affection
And had a lot of sympathy with this
http://youtu.be/kbBh69Pa4PY
People who enjoyed that might like the next segment of the story
featuring Julia McKenzie
Indeed.

--
Sid
DavidK
2021-11-29 10:07:15 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I cannot hear that song without remembering a parody from a comedy-radio
show whose name I cannot remember. It had the lyric

"take an unnecessary breath, in the middle of the line"
Jim Easterbrook
2021-11-29 11:16:23 UTC
Post by DavidK
And although Send In The Clowns Is a good song It has been so done to
death
I cannot hear that song without remembering a parody from a comedy-radio
show whose name I cannot remember. It had the lyric
"take an unnecessary breath, in the middle of the line"
When I heard Emma Thompson sing it (with Hugh Laurie accompanying) in the
Cambridge Footlights it was "take an unnecessary breath, in the central
phrase".
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-11-29 18:44:27 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
...Stephen Sondheim.
You have gone into the celestial woods
Never to return.
To be honest,
I have always viewed your music
With a good deal more respect than affection
That is very well put!
Post by Sid Nuncius
And had a lot of sympathy with this
http://youtu.be/kbBh69Pa4PY
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
http://youtu.be/c6rzOl4ZDfo
Which just goes to show.
Hmm. Didn't like that one myself. Liked the Judi Dench one; she would
not claim to be a singer, but need not claim to be an actress, she is so
good at it.

(Oh - I'm _not_ going to say actor. "Firefighter" is a good word of that
type; "actor" most definitely isn't.)

I would say of Sondheim's work - I _can_ appreciate it, but usually only
if I expend effort - which as I get older I'm less willing to do, at
least when there are others I can get a higher "investment yield" on.

Religion is a name for opinion that cannot be argued about. [Heard on Radio 4,
2010-10-18, 9:xx.]
Penny
2021-11-30 11:12:44 UTC
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:53:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
http://youtu.be/c6rzOl4ZDfo
Which just goes to show.
Indeed.
I like Send in the Clowns.
I like Bryan Ferry's take on a number of familiar songs.
I really don't like that.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Min
2021-11-30 22:11:52 UTC
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
http://youtu.be/c6rzOl4ZDfo
Which just goes to show.
Indeed.
I like Send in the Clowns.
I like Bryan Ferry's take on a number of familiar songs.
I really don't like that.
:o)) Fair enough. Where do you stand on his version of Robert Palmer's
Johnny And Mary?
IANVicky but -erme- in this instance I prefer Bryan Ferry! Though it's
the Martin Taylor version that makes me want to get into a small
French Car and go for a long drive...
Nick
The best version I ever heard (and to be honest, the first time I *got* it),
was by Glynis Johns

A good friend of mine directed 'Follies' and the thing that was most
noteworthy was with the 'elderly' ladies, every word could be heard as
clear as a bell. The younger ones - not so much...
Min
Penny
2021-12-01 10:15:07 UTC
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:11:52 -0800 (PST), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
http://youtu.be/c6rzOl4ZDfo
Which just goes to show.
Indeed.
I like Send in the Clowns.
I like Bryan Ferry's take on a number of familiar songs.
I really don't like that.
:o)) Fair enough. Where do you stand on his version of Robert Palmer's
Johnny And Mary?
I'm still suffering from missing posts (which mostly show up several days
later). The attributions suggest Sid wrote this.

I'm not familiar with Johnny and Mary (or Robert Palmer) but found it on
Youtube.
I'd shoot the drum machine on the Robert Palmer version.
The somewhat less percussive Bryan Ferry version is preferable but I would
prefer a quieter, lower-pitched beat. Maybe when I'm deafer...
Post by Min
IANVicky but -erme- in this instance I prefer Bryan Ferry! Though it's
I'm not Vicky either, has she contributed here?
Post by Min
the Martin Taylor version that makes me want to get into a small
French Car and go for a long drive...
Nick
Ah, now that's lovely :)
But I'm a sucker for the Djangoesque.
Post by Min
The best version I ever heard (and to be honest, the first time I *got* it),
was by Glynis Johns
http://youtu.be/OAl-EawVobY
I think hers was the first I heard..
Vicky
2021-12-02 09:54:40 UTC
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:33:48 -0800 (PST), Min
Gosh, Penny - you were lucky! I was fed up to the back teeth by the time
I heard (the Glynis Johns) - I'd even heard (and hope to never again)
Bruce Forsyth sing it..and that was *ages* after Judy Collins was in
the charts. You obviously had the sense to see 'Follies' a long time
before I got round to it!
--
Min
Is it Basenjis you have? I saw a sign in the vet's this morning, at

We were unfortunately there after an emergency dash with Bobby, our 14
year old pointer/beagle, who we didn't think would make last
Christmas. He had kidney failure but was still able to steal the cat
food 3 days ago so had some quality of life until yesterday.B decided
at 3 no painkillers we'd tried, gabapentin, tramadol, etc were helping
and we had to say good bye.

He should never have made 14. He was rescued in Spain by Puppy Rescue
there and had been shot.He lost an eye and some teeth and was
starving, 3 months old. We saw him at a car boot they'd gone to, to
home pups. We thought nobody would want the little one-eyed one so we
took him.

When B rescued 2 kittens a few months later Bobby mothered them and
when we got Molly, a German Shepherd/Podenko, 6 months after that he
looked after her too, let her share his food and toys. He was a very
nice dog. Grandson loved him. Molly died 5 years ago and one cat,
Fang, did. The remaining cat, Harryet, loved Bobby and snuggled with
him often. She is sitting around now looking worried.
Serena Blanchflower
2021-12-02 10:17:03 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
Oh, Vicky, I'm so sorry to hear that. His life with you was
immeasurably better than it might have been otherwise. Sending hugs to
you, B and Harryet.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to
live as one wishes to live. (Oscar Wilde)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-12-02 17:50:59 UTC
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 at 10:17:03, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Vicky
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:33:48 -0800 (PST), Min
Gosh, Penny - you were lucky! I was fed up to the back teeth by the time
I heard (the Glynis Johns) - I'd even heard (and hope to never again)
Bruce Forsyth sing it..and that was *ages* after Judy Collins was in
[I've always thought the best-suited part I saw Brucie in was as the
rather dusty music-hall father of Gertrude Lawrence in the film "Star!".
not that he wasn't a skilled all-round entertainer.]
[]
Post by Vicky
We were unfortunately there after an emergency dash with Bobby, our
[]
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Vicky
and we had to say good bye.
[]
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Oh, Vicky, I'm so sorry to hear that. His life with you was
immeasurably better than it might have been otherwise. Sending hugs to
you, B and Harryet.
Wot she sed. Virtual hugs and strokes.

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26
Sid Nuncius
2021-12-03 05:47:50 UTC
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 17:50:59 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[I've always thought the best-suited part I saw Brucie in was as the
rather dusty music-hall father of Gertrude Lawrence in the film "Star!".
not that he wasn't a skilled all-round entertainer.]
I really liked that film.
Me too, but it's probably over 50 years since I saw it and I don't know
how well it has aged.
--
Sid
Jenny M Benson
2021-12-02 10:35:46 UTC
Post by Vicky
We were unfortunately there after an emergency dash with Bobby, our 14
year old pointer/beagle, who we didn't think would make last
Christmas.
Oh Vicky, I feel for you and send you my best vibes. I lost one of my
dogs last year, she was nearly 16 and had been with me since 8 weeks,
(from a rescue but not badly treated) so I know just what you are going
through.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
steve hague
2021-12-02 11:06:20 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
Our friends who live nearby have a Cockapoo, named Sam. He's an absolute
sweetie, and stays with us when they go away. He made friends with our
elderly cat very quickly, and they're on nose touching terms, and have
been for a few years now. They recently adopted a homeless young dog
from Romania, where I'm told some drivers regard running down stray dogs
as a form of sport. Boo (For that is her name) seems scared of everyone
apart from her immediate household, which consists of two adults and
three teenage girls, Sam and a cat named Emily, but we're working on it.
Steve
Min
2021-12-04 00:36:17 UTC
Post by Vicky
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:33:48 -0800 (PST), Min
Gosh, Penny - you were lucky! I was fed up to the back teeth by the time
I heard (the Glynis Johns) - I'd even heard (and hope to never again)
Bruce Forsyth sing it..and that was *ages* after Judy Collins was in
the charts. You obviously had the sense to see 'Follies' a long time
before I got round to it!
--
Min
Is it Basenjis you have? I saw a sign in the vet's this morning, at
3.30a.m, saying Basenjis are the only dog that can't bark.
The ones that live in the DRC physically can't - different shaped larynxes
(that plural looks wrong - corrections welcomed) Those that were brought
up in the Northern Hemisphere are believed to have learnt by copying.
Lexa barks more than Butu, but even he can manage a 'Woof!'. What they
can't do is that steady 'Yap, yap' or 'Yip, yip' or even 'Woof, woof, woof, woof'.
Lexa yodels (or as we call it, 'Baroos') more than Butu. Not even Butu
is silent, they growl, chunter at you in an annoyed fashion and will
scream the house down on occasion.
Post by Vicky
We were unfortunately there after an emergency dash with Bobby, our 14
year old pointer/beagle, who we didn't think would make last
Christmas. He had kidney failure but was still able to steal the cat
food 3 days ago so had some quality of life until yesterday.B decided
at 3 no painkillers we'd tried, gabapentin, tramadol, etc were helping
and we had to say good bye.
So sorry to hear this, Vicky. But it sounds as if you gave him a wonderful life.
Vicky
2021-12-04 10:07:30 UTC
Post by Vicky
He should never have made 14. He was rescued in Spain by Puppy Rescue
there and had been shot.He lost an eye and some teeth and was
starving, 3 months old. We saw him at a car boot they'd gone to, to
home pups. We thought nobody would want the little one-eyed one so we
took him.
When B rescued 2 kittens a few months later Bobby mothered them and
when we got Molly, a German Shepherd/Podenko, 6 months after that he
looked after her too, let her share his food and toys. He was a very
nice dog. Grandson loved him. Molly died 5 years ago and one cat,
Fang, did. The remaining cat, Harryet, loved Bobby and snuggled with
him often. She is sitting around now looking worried.
Bobby was sort of an umrat in that he was a cricket fan. When the
local club played in their ground next to the park he'd join in and
park rules said you could keep getting runs as long as the dog had the
ball inside the boundary. The fielders would try luring him to give
the ball up. He very much enjoyed playing :).

One time he wandered in innocently and gatecrashed a wake in the club
house. By the time we got to him he'd made several friends and scored
some goodies.
Penny
2021-12-04 12:36:56 UTC
On Sat, 04 Dec 2021 10:07:30 +0000, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Bobby was sort of an umrat in that he was a cricket fan. When the
local club played in their ground next to the park he'd join in and
park rules said you could keep getting runs as long as the dog had the
ball inside the boundary. The fielders would try luring him to give
the ball up. He very much enjoyed playing :).
:))
Post by Vicky
One time he wandered in innocently and gatecrashed a wake in the club
house. By the time we got to him he'd made several friends and scored
some goodies.
What wonderful memories he's left you with.
Jenny M Benson
2021-12-04 10:30:10 UTC
Post by Min
Lexa yodels (or as we call it, 'Baroos') more than Butu.
When Plum does this I say she is calling for her friend Harun. He's
always out of sight and she has to shout for him lot. Although she has
quite a range of vocalisations, she reserves her serious deep bark for
when something is seriously wrong, like a large teddy falling off the
top of the wardrobe! - though she does shout more since spending too
much time with her very noisy Fox Terrier cousin. Just lately she has
taken to issuing a short sharp "yap!" when she wants to get my
attention. (She's a Tibetan Spaniel.)
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
Penny
2021-12-04 12:43:26 UTC
On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 10:30:10 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
Lexa yodels (or as we call it, 'Baroos') more than Butu.
When Plum does this I say she is calling for her friend Harun. He's
always out of sight and she has to shout for him lot. Although she has
quite a range of vocalisations, she reserves her serious deep bark for
when something is seriously wrong, like a large teddy falling off the
top of the wardrobe! - though she does shout more since spending too
much time with her very noisy Fox Terrier cousin. Just lately she has
taken to issuing a short sharp "yap!" when she wants to get my
attention. (She's a Tibetan Spaniel.)
My neighbour across the road has acquire two cockerpoos over the last year,
(and her new next door neighbour has one too). They bark if they're in the
garden when someone walks by but will dash to the gate, all wagging tails,
if you stop to talk to them.

Last night when I, most unusually, went out to the car for some late-night
shopping, they barked in a totally different way I'd not heard before.
Yodelling might describe it.
Mike McMillan
2021-12-04 15:52:19 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
Oh Hello Frank Ifield, I didn’t see you there!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-12-08 14:00:48 UTC
Post by Min
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Well yes, he /wrote/ it for Glynis Johns and her breathy, tobacco-raddled voice that couldn't sustain a note, and he wrapped it around with that gorgeous vintage-claret clarinet tune to do the sustaining. Other singers always try to extend the ends of the lines and it really doesn't work for that song.

No, Min, I know you only ever saw me smoking like the proverbial chimney but I smoked my last one just two days after the last Cheltenham gathering I went to, sixteen (gosh!) years ago.

Chris
2021-12-08 17:20:26 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Min
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
That’s longer than sone people have been here I think. :)

Sincerely Chris
Sid Nuncius
2021-12-08 17:29:25 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
No, Min, I know you only ever saw me smoking like the proverbial chimney but I smoked my last one just two days after the last Cheltenham gathering I went to, sixteen (gosh!) years ago.
Hello, MOPMOB - good to see you!
--
Sid
John Ashby
2021-12-08 19:25:44 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
No, Min, I know you only ever saw me smoking like the proverbial chimney but I smoked my last one just two days after the last Cheltenham gathering I went to, sixteen (gosh!) years ago.
Hello, MOPMOB - good to see you!
I do like to pop in now and then!
Glad you could pop over, even if you're not in Yorkshire.

john

Sid Nuncius
2021-12-03 06:46:46 UTC
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
And although Send In The Clowns
Is a good song
It has been so done to death
I thought that if I heard the boodly thing
Just once more I would scream...
http://youtu.be/c6rzOl4ZDfo
Which just goes to show.
Indeed.
I like Send in the Clowns.
I like Bryan Ferry's take on a number of familiar songs.
I really don't like that.
:o)) Fair enough. Where do you stand on his version of Robert Palmer's
Johnny And Mary?
IANVicky but -erme- in this instance I prefer Bryan Ferry! Though it's
the Martin Taylor version that makes me want to get into a small
French Car and go for a long drive...
I think Johnny and Mary is one of the finest songs of the 80s - but then
I always was a miserable nugger. When I first listened to Bryan Ferry's
Avonmore album I was rather dreading getting to his version, but I like
it very much.

<RANT ALERT>

I often really like covers which give a different take on a familiar
song[1] and I like the Martin Taylor version, too - but I cannot forgive
Renault for using what started as a powerful and insightful song about a
struggling relationship to sell boodly cars. There is nothing, it
seems, that the advertising industry won't trivialise for gain and I
hate it. In other adverts at a similar time, the AA used a blandified
version of Gimme Shelter, one of my two contenders for the Greatest Pop
Record Ever Made[2] and another car manufacturer (Vauxhall?) used the
riff from Layla. I mean - Layla? A truly great song, brilliantly
expressing the passions that rage in a human heart...selling <expletive
deleted> Vauxhall cars? Sheesh!

</RA>

[1] I offer just four of my favourites in evidence:
Michael Jackson's Billy Jean covered by Wolf Larson:

Roxy Music's More Than This covered by Lucy Kaplansky:

Adele's Send My Love To Your New Lover covered by I'm With Her:

R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion covered by Applewood Road:

(The back of my head is visible several times in this one. Being there
was stunning.)

[2]The other is There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's
Elvis, obviously.
--
Sid
steve hague
2021-12-03 07:14:42 UTC
http://youtu.be/3sb-U48w5SA
http://youtu.be/mcj2OOK_S9g
http://youtu.be/s24fLEYaeEk
http://youtu.be/IL8-4ayvZQ0
(The back of my head is visible several times in this one.  Being there
was stunning.)
[2]The other is There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's
Elvis, obviously.
What would seriously cause me to lose the will to live would be to hear
Family's "The Weaver's Answer" used in a Goggles ad.
Steve
Sid Nuncius
2021-12-03 19:13:01 UTC
Post by steve hague
What would seriously cause me to lose the will to live would be to hear
Family's "The Weaver's Answer" used in a Goggles ad.
:o)
For me it would probably be The Who's "I Can See For Miles"[1] in a
Specsavers ad.

[1]All the way from Barnard Castle to London, presumably.
--
Sid
steve hague
2021-12-04 06:48:07 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by steve hague
What would seriously cause me to lose the will to live would be to
hear Family's "The Weaver's Answer" used in a Goggles ad.
:o)
For me it would probably be The Who's "I Can See For Miles"[1] in a
Specsavers ad.
[1]All the way from Barnard Castle to London, presumably.
Now you mention The Who, what about "Won't Get Fooled Again", in any
gambling ad.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-12-04 19:11:23 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by steve hague
What would seriously cause me to lose the will to live would be to
hear Family's "The Weaver's Answer" used in a Goggles ad.
:o)
For me it would probably be The Who's "I Can See For Miles"[1] in a
Specsavers ad.
[1]All the way from Barnard Castle to London, presumably.
Now you mention The Who, what about "Won't Get Fooled Again", in any
gambling ad.
(UMRA probably knows my views on the gambling industry - basically, I'd
be willing to give up some of the programmes I enjoy if gambling
advertising could be banned, same as tobacco was then [most] alcohol
seems to have been.) I think WGFA would be _good_ in a gambling ad., so
you won't hear it!

WGFA is used as theme music for one of the US alphabet forensic series -
CSI Miami, I think it is. For which the title line is of course very
appropriate, though I don't know about the rest of the lyric (which I
haven't absorbed - the opening scream blanks my listening!).

Norman Tebbitt has the irritating quality of being much nicer in person than
he is in print. - Clive Anderson, RT 1996/10/12-18
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-12-03 11:55:30 UTC
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 at 06:46:46, Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Sid Nuncius
<RANT ALERT>
[]
Post by Sid Nuncius
nothing, it seems, that the advertising industry won't trivialise for
gain and I hate it. In other adverts at a similar time, the AA used a
blandified version of Gimme Shelter, one of my two contenders for the
Greatest Pop Record Ever Made[2] and another car manufacturer
[]
Post by Sid Nuncius
</RA>
[]
On the other hand - this point usually made re classical pieces, but I
can't see why it can't be applied to the pop/rock world too - they bring
the piece to many people who otherwise would never hear it, because they
think they don't like that band/singer/composer/whatever, or just have
never heard them. A significant number of those of our age, for example,
know Dvorjak's symphony no. 9 "from the New World" as "the Hovis music",
for example, the Flower duet from Lakme by Delibes as "The British
Airways theme", and so on. Plenty of pop/rock examples too, I'm sure.
[]
Post by Sid Nuncius
[2]The other is There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's
Elvis, obviously.
Now that's a thread [GPREM] that could run and run; thanks (I think!)
for starting it. I would find it VERY difficult to pick one, though - I
have so many I'd nominate, from only marginally pop (easy listening or
semi-classical), to heavy rock, to religious (which I'm not), to ... no,
I really can't pick one. I don't have a "significant other", so there
isn't an "our song/tune" for me. But I'm sure somerats (as well as Sid)
_can_ pick ones.

(Of course, for UMRA, there's
...)

31.69 nHz = once a year. (Julian Thomas)
John Ashby
2021-12-03 12:54:07 UTC
I mean - Layla?  A truly great song, brilliantly expressing the
passions that rage in a human heart...selling <expletive deleted>
Vauxhall cars?
Just bear in mind the coke which can be acquired and presumably consumed
if the musician responsible for the song was in need of some readies.
That'll be "I'd like to teach the world to sing".

john
Nick Odell
2021-12-03 13:55:52 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:52:27 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Funnily enough, I learned something about a cover of a cover listening
to Charles Paris: A Doubtful Death last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j9jx

(Yes, I know it was on last year but I'm always on catch-up with my
radio listening.)

Way back in 1951 Eddie Arnold had a hit with Cy Cobern's song "I wanna
play house with you"

Which was stolen by Arthur Gunter and put out as "Baby Let's Play
House" in 1954 and then recorded in 1955 on the Sun label opposite
"I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" by a young upstart, Elvis
Presley.

But it doesn't end there: in 1965 the song becomes "Run For Your Life"
by The Beatles.
Not a nice
song, in my opinion, and by the time it's been through all these
changes it's completely lost the comparative innocence of the Eddie
Arnold original.

And this is all relevant to the plot of A Doubtful Death, how? Ah.
You'll have to listen to the serial. It's still available on BBC
Sounds.

Nick
Penny
2021-12-03 14:53:24 UTC
play house with you" http://youtu.be/eXbcx8KKoSo
Which was stolen by Arthur Gunter and put out as "Baby Let's Play
House" in 1954 and then recorded in 1955 on the Sun label opposite
"I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" by a young upstart, Elvis
Presley. http://youtu.be/92iwC-xI3mE
But it doesn't end there: in 1965 the song becomes "Run For Your Life"
by The Beatles. http://youtu.be/yzHXtxcIkg4 Not a nice
song, in my opinion, and by the time it's been through all these
changes it's completely lost the comparative innocence of the Eddie
Arnold original.
Gosh, I never really liked that one but had never consciously noticed the
coercive control element of it - different times.
Post by Nick Odell
And this is all relevant to the plot of A Doubtful Death, how? Ah.
You'll have to listen to the serial. It's still available on BBC
Sounds.
I'm sure, as a Bill Nighy fan, I've heard it before but will download for
my gardening/walking library.
Vicky
2021-12-03 18:49:30 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
"I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone" by a young upstart, Elvis
Presley.
I've got a very old LP of Elvis songs with this on.