Ask E.U. underfloor insulation.
Mike McMillan
2021-11-20 14:17:16 UTC
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.

I have contacted our local council to find out if this is approved work and
whether there are any grants towards the cost involved. E.U. Is always a
good source of information, hence me enquiring here.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-11-20 17:56:51 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
I have contacted our local council to find out if this is approved work and
whether there are any grants towards the cost involved. E.U. Is always a
good source of information, hence me enquiring here.
Sorry Mike, all we have underfloor hereabouts are mine shafts.
Hope you aren't experiencing any big sink holes; one appeared in Palmer
Park, just the other side of the Earley/Reading boundary, just a few
minutes walk from here. Again there had been some sort of subterranean
shenanigans some years ago; the council just put up poles and hazard tape
and I think, years later there are still no plans to do anything about it.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-11-20 17:59:43 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Just an ickle update:
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/mystery-palmer-parks-underground-holes-4276948
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Paul Herber
2021-11-20 21:56:53 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Doesn't that just take the biscuit.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Penny
2021-11-20 23:30:54 UTC
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:56:51 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Sorry Mike, all we have underfloor hereabouts are mine shafts.
Hope you aren't experiencing any big sink holes; one appeared in Palmer
Park, just the other side of the Earley/Reading boundary, just a few
minutes walk from here. Again there had been some sort of subterranean
shenanigans some years ago; the council just put up poles and hazard tape
and I think, years later there are still no plans to do anything about it.
That horrid new house we stayed in the other weekend, seems to be built on
an area of old coal mines. I wondered about this large open space on the
map (OS haven't caught up yet) which seems to have lain unused for at least
200 years, with residential areas nearby. A closer look at the early 19th
century maps show it dotted with shafts and a big colliery is marked
nearby.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Clive Arthur
2021-11-20 23:43:45 UTC
On 20/11/2021 17:56, Mike McMillan wrote:

<snip>
Post by Mike McMillan
Hope you aren't experiencing any big sink holes; one appeared in Palmer
Park, just the other side of the Earley/Reading boundary, just a few
minutes walk from here. Again there had been some sort of subterranean
shenanigans some years ago; the council just put up poles and hazard tape
and I think, years later there are still no plans to do anything about it.
It was at first cordoned off and allowed to 're-wild'. The void is now
full of dog crap. Sorted.
--
Cheers
Clive
Chris
2021-11-21 09:29:03 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike McMillan
Hope you aren't experiencing any big sink holes; one appeared in Palmer
Park, just the other side of the Earley/Reading boundary, just a few
minutes walk from here. Again there had been some sort of subterranean
shenanigans some years ago; the council just put up poles and hazard tape
and I think, years later there are still no plans to do anything about it.
It was at first cordoned off and allowed to 're-wild'. The void is now
full of dog crap. Sorted.
It’s not a pretty rewild either. Hope Squeaky and friends do better

Sincerely Chris
Chris
2021-11-21 09:26:34 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Nothing that I know, not even with us getting a swimming pool with yards of
that area.

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2021-11-20 23:24:55 UTC
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 14:17:16 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
Erm, won't it need lots of trap doors to get between all the joists the
floorboards are attached to?
Mike McMillan
2021-11-21 08:53:45 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
Erm, won't it need lots of trap doors to get between all the joists the
floorboards are attached to?
There are a few illustrations of the system, here is one:

Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Jenny M Benson
2021-11-21 12:55:05 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Penny
rm, won't it need lots of trap doors to get between all the joists the
floorboards are attached to?
I wondered about that, too.
Post by Mike McMillan
http://youtu.be/g6xEV8wIVeM
The comments under that video are well worth reading, I feel.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
Mike McMillan
2021-11-21 17:19:16 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
Erm, won't it need lots of trap doors to get between all the joists the
floorboards are attached to?
http://youtu.be/g6xEV8wIVeM
Do all modern ground floors look like that?
The last time I lifted ground floor floorboards, in my ancient house in
Kent, I found the joists resting on the bare earth - where they were gently
rotting - so I had a chap put all the electric cables in a conduit before
pouring concrete in instead. It was only a small area of floor, next to the
cellar where the joists were in better nick.
In my current house, built 1950, the ground floor is 2" parquet set
directly on concrete.
IANA Builder but, it is normal to have support pillars and there oughtta be
DPC on top of which the joists can then rest. Dunno when the use of DPC
started but is very expensive to fit post construction; where damp has been
a problem, wood resting on any material capable of wicking moisture is bad
news, and I have also known of walls that lacked a moisture barrier that
have had small section of mortar removed at a time, DPC fitted then new
mortar applied, once set, other sections are removed and DPC fitted and so
on. (There is also a technique of injecting water repelling / proofing to
create a moisture barrier - either way this is an expensive and painstaking
job!

As far as I know, by the 50's, the concrete floors would have had a
moisture proof membrane under the concrete; my childhood home from 1954
(when it was a new build council house) had Marley Tile floors which were
heat bonded onto concrete flooring and if these were covered over with
carpeting, they would develop a coating of mould but then, our house was
directly over a spring and water would rise to within inches of ground
level if a hole was dug.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-11-21 21:18:01 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Ah, no such damp proofing on the 16th century house (or what was probably
an early extension to it). I think the husgod had to do something about
that to get the mortgage in 1970. That was before my time but I have vague
recollections of something about osmosis and the injection of something
into the walls. I don't think it worked very well. I do know some parts of
the building had huge lumps of flint as footings, topped with 'wall plates'
(basically squared off tree trunks).
Post by Mike McMillan
As far as I know, by the 50's, the concrete floors would have had a
moisture proof membrane under the concrete; my childhood home from 1954
(when it was a new build council house) had Marley Tile floors which were
heat bonded onto concrete flooring and if these were covered over with
carpeting, they would develop a coating of mould
That rings a bell. The coach house and hayloft were incorporated into the
main house at some point post WWII. The floor of the old coach house had
some sort of plastic tiles glued down with black glue, or possibly bitumen.
After heavy rain the floor would 'sweat' in a grid pattern around the
tiles. We laid heavy-duty carpet squares over the top - they didn't go
mouldy. We also covered up the signs of damp and crumbling plaster in that
room, with a dado (very fashionable at the time) of cedar tongue and
groove.
Nick Odell
2021-11-21 11:43:29 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
I have contacted our local council to find out if this is approved work and
whether there are any grants towards the cost involved. E.U. Is always a
good source of information, hence me enquiring here.
I think I know what you mean. It sounds exactly like the construction
of the first house latex and I bought together: a dirt floor inside
the foundations then, raised above it by some feet/inches - depending
on the lie of the land - the wooden joists supporting the wooden
plank floor and all the timber kept rot-free by the air circulation
via the air bricks.

We did exactly the same as you, by which I mean cut a trap door under
the cupboard under the stairs. This was not for insulation - nobody
had heard of insulation back in the seventies - but it made an ideal
wine cellar and a place to house the batteries and charging equipment
for the 12-volt emergency light and power auxiliary system I built
in.[1]

The insulation should make the house much warmer and as an audio
engineering type I'm sure you haven't overlooked the noise-reduction
qualities either.

The only snag (apart from the insulation reducing the amount of space
available to store wine bottles and/or auxiliary power supplies) is
the potential to stimulate rot in the timbers which will now be
deprived of their airflow.

The timber probably won't rot[2] but there are mortgage lenders who
won't lend money against a house with underfloor insulation because
they fear the timber might rot. If you are mortgage-free then this
shouldn't be a problem for you unless you were thinking of using one
of those equity-release schemes which are really just another form of
mortgage. It might be a problem down the line for your heirs when they
try to sell the house and they may have to accept a reduced cash offer
so you might not be leaving them as much of an inheritance as you
imagine.

Nick
[1]I like to think I did my bit for the nation there. Before I wired
the 12-volt system into the house, installed dual-voltage fluorescent
lights into the kitchen etc etc, we had been plagued with power
outages almost every week. As soon as I had the back-up up and
running, the power-cuts stopped.
[2]My guarantee against rot is worth exactly what you paid me for it.
Mike McMillan
2021-11-21 12:10:39 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Thanks Nick, the sealed timbers is the only concern I have, well, not the
seal but what it may do to the valuation should that be required for a
sale. We paid off the mortar gauge yonks ago so no concern there; have to
see what Wokey Council say in due course. Of course Q-Bot won't be unbiased
in such matters! No wine cellar / storage required here though I am
researching solar PV panels etc., however, our roof is just the wrong
orientation so ground mounted may be the way to go - not sure it is a goer
yet.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-11-21 14:34:05 UTC
On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:10:39 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
I am
researching solar PV panels etc., however, our roof is just the wrong
orientation so ground mounted may be the way to go - not sure it is a goer
yet.
My SiL has a semi-detached bungalow (shallow pitched roof) with solar
panels on east and west rooves. They do at least as well as my south-facing
roof.

I'm not sure of the economics of installing PV now. Bro #1 got in early
with a grant for installation, we paid for installation but got a
reasonable deal on the FIT payments. I realise the cost of buying the
panels may have gone down since then, and the panels are probably more
efficient too, but the FIT payments are much lower than they were.
Mike McMillan
2021-11-21 17:28:04 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
I am
researching solar PV panels etc., however, our roof is just the wrong
orientation so ground mounted may be the way to go - not sure it is a goer
yet.
My SiL has a semi-detached bungalow (shallow pitched roof) with solar
panels on east and west rooves. They do at least as well as my south-facing
roof.
I'm not sure of the economics of installing PV now. Bro #1 got in early
with a grant for installation, we paid for installation but got a
reasonable deal on the FIT payments. I realise the cost of buying the
panels may have gone down since then, and the panels are probably more
efficient too, but the FIT payments are much lower than they were.
Our south west facing roof also has a large chimenny stack casting shadow
for a lot of the day as it is on the south eastern side thus casting a
shadow over most of the roof area. Yes, some panels now boast 20 - 22%
efficiency and have wider acceptance angles than earlier types. When we
enquired about 'renting out' our roof PV panels some years ago, the company
politely declined as there was insufficient solar power reaching our roof
area. I think the FIT has gone up in smoke now and I'm not sure that the
gummint is very keen on replacing it with anything anywhere near as
generous now.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris
2021-11-21 19:17:28 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
You have heard the same article we did then on the mortgage lending trap?

Hopefully by the time comes to sell (Wunderkind isn’t likely to want to
come back this side of that famous river while she’s gainfully employed and
the younger ‘kinds are at school there) this particular problem will be a
bad dream of the past.

Wunderkind lives a matter of a few yards from current gainful employment.

Sincerely Chris
John Ashby
2021-11-21 13:04:26 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
I have contacted our local council to find out if this is approved work and
whether there are any grants towards the cost involved. E.U. Is always a
good source of information, hence me enquiring here.
Once upon a summertime, a few years ago, the heat was intense and my
partner said "Why don't we shampoo the living room carpet to help cool
the house down?" So we cleared all the furniture from the front lounge
into the back lounge and she said "Hmm, it's a bit dingy, we could
redecorate," and I said "What about that big stain on the ceiling?" Then
I had a brainwave and wondered if it was a problem the insurance might
cover since the stain was underneath the bathroom.[1]

So a nice loss adjuster came and looked at it a and agreed that they
would pay to replace the ceiling and the cracked Edwardian cornice and
some nice plasterers came in and did a very fine job and charged
slightly less than the insurers were coughing up. At which point partner
said "While we've got the room empty we could insulate under the floor."
Celotex was purchased, carpet, underlay and gripper rods were removed
and floorboards lifted.

At which point the extent of rot in the joists became apparent. And
removing the joists made plain the instability of the supporting walls
whose mortar had crumbled to dust.

I rebuilt the walls, replaced the joists, fitted the celotex between
them, relaid the floorboards. Then we repainted the walls and skirtings
and decided that with such a lovely lounge it would be a shame to put a
dismal, stained carpet down so we went and bought a new one (but I got
the measurements mixed up and it ended up 50mm to short to fit into the
alcoves).

Mission creep at its finest.

john

[1] We later decided that the stain wasn't water induced. When we first
bought the house the ceiling was brown from nicotine which bled through
every attempt to overpaint it. Eldest son was given the task of sealing
it behind PVA and we suspect he missed that area.
Sam Plusnet
2021-11-22 01:53:58 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Has anyrat experience / comments they would like to share regarding Q-Bot
underfloor sprayed foam insulation please. Looks like a very low impact
during 'installation' as access for the robot that trundles around on the
rough underfloor is feasible via a large airbrick (which we do not have as
ours are rectangular 2:1 ratio airbricks) or by removal (The Great Escape
style) via cutting two short lengths of floor board to create a 'trap' for
the robot to be lowered through to do its' business so to speak. We already
have such access in our under-stairs cupboard by lifting some carpet
(there's posh!) in there.
I have contacted our local council to find out if this is approved work and
whether there are any grants towards the cost involved. E.U. Is always a
good source of information, hence me enquiring here.
I have nothing to offer, except that YouTube has a number of videos on
this topic.
A search within YouTube on "Insulating A Suspended Timber Floor" will
bring up a list.
It's possible that one of those videos - or one of the comments appended
thereto - might have useful information.
Sam Plusnet
Mike McMillan
2021-11-22 09:24:54 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Thanks Sam, I have perused many of them and have been reading up on the
subject but, as eny fool kno, UMRA is the fount of wisdom on all matters!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-11-23 16:04:15 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
We have opted for a survey by Q-Bot - watch this space! May take a few
weeks before anything happens though.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sam Plusnet
2021-11-23 21:17:41 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
You never know.
We had contracted to have a couple of windows & a door replaced.
The forecast installation was
"December - probably - we'll tell you nearer to the time."
Yesterday at noon we got a phone call.
By 3PM today the work was complete.
Sam Plusnet
Chris

Sincerely Chris
Sam Plusnet
2021-11-24 20:26:38 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
They had a cancellation at short notice for another installation, so
they phoned us at noon, & arrived at 8am the following day.
--
Sam Plusnet